Shankland

Thomaso

Polonia Gorgie

We've waited about 30 years for an actual goal scoring forward, I think selling him would be ludicrous. He's already scored 2 in 3 competitive games!! How much would it cost to replace him!?!?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

12 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Morelos, is still a free agent....

If we get the Saudi Riyal for Shanks

Could he be worth a 2 year contract  ?

Yes, he's an utter [email protected] could he be our utter tw@t  ? 

No. He can **** right off. Absolute wank.

1 minute ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

We've waited about 30 years for an actual goal scoring forward, I think selling him would be ludicrous. He's already scored 2 in 3 competitive games!! How much would it cost to replace him!?!?

This ...absolutely this.

Break the current wage structure and keep him, we will not replace his goals, or his all round play.

worth his weight in gooooooals !

1 minute ago, AndyNic said:

No. He can **** right off. Absolute wank.

This is also a fair point....  :greggy:

Butterbean1874
12 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

It's all made up, nobody on here knows anything.

We managed 3rd quite comfortably without Shankland his goals speak for themselves but clubs bigger than 1 player 

Fxxx the SPFL
4 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

This ...absolutely this.

Break the current wage structure and keep him, we will not replace his goals, or his all round play.

i see what you did there lol

The Old Tolbooth
6 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

This ...absolutely this.

If an Arabian offer comes in, there's no stopping that one unfortunately, despite what we offer him to stay, even an English Championship side could easily take him off us. 

8 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

So you would keep him even if he wants to go.  We cannot compete with the wage he would be offered in Saudi or England and it would be a life changing amount for him.  He had done his job for us admirably and if he goes its with my best wishes

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

So assuming he's off, do we go for a hold up man like Simms to allow other runners off him or try to find the next shankland???

my Coventry pal says a lot the fans down there are not keen on him as he doesn't put a shift in i.e. chasing balls down etc.

4 minutes ago, Butterbean1874 said:

We managed 3rd quite comfortably without Shankland his goals speak for themselves but clubs bigger than 1 player 

This is the point, life will move on in a post-Shankland world.  Tagawa will need to step up, we have Boyce, Oda and Vargas.  Barrie needs to chip in with a few too.  Hopefully we get more from defenders too - Kent and Kye.  Natty, Cochrane and Kingsley all capable.

We don't have goalscoring midfileders, but neither are they used this way particularly.  Newy could chip in.

But of course, I hope we sign another CF who maybe bags 15 or so.

63 league goals last season, similar sees us 3rd this year with even slightly better defence.

Boyce 10

Tagawa 10

Oda 8

Vargas 6

Barrie 5

Lowry 4

Nat 3

Cochrane 3

Kings 2

Kent 3

Kye 2

Others (Halks, Sibbick, Forrest, the CMs) 8-10

That's us there.  None of these numbers look outlandish to me.  Bring in another CF to take some of that burden.

As others have said, we got 3rd without Shanks, he's not everything.  Christ we started that season with Gnando as a main striker choice!!!  Granted losing Shanks AND Gino is a boot in the nuts!!!!! (again caveat, we ain't lost Shanks YET!)

Polonia Gorgie
2 minutes ago, savage said:

So you would keep him even if he wants to go.  We cannot compete with the wage he would be offered in Saudi or England and it would be a life changing amount for him.  He had done his job for us admirably and if he goes its with my best wishes

I would at least try keep our best footballing asset!! 

13 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

Motherwell signed Kevin van Veen for nowt and scored more goals than Shankland last year. Just to put things into perspective

Shankland's price should be high, and it should be much higher for Glasgow suitors. But if a club out there really is waving around $3 million with add-on's, I think Hearts have to really consider taking it. It wouldn't be a "good" thing. You're not better losing your captain an top goal scorer. But anything $3+ million is a tidy piece of business.

One silver lining it is the Hearts have really been poor in the transfer selling market past years. A sell of Shankland could help recruiting team's pitch. "Come up here, play in big matches in front of 20k fans, play in Europe, live in a great city, and should your ability outpace our current ambition and a club down south or abroad offers you life changing money, we'll make it happen."

I imagine Hibs and Aberdeen right now in their sales pitch have to point at Hearts transfer record and say the right springboard to the Championship or a big foreign league is not Tynecastle. Lots of surrounding factors should be taken into account, still it is a fact Aberdeen and Hibs are sending more guys to big leagues than Hearts.

I'd rather never have to sell players on a next step, but it's 2023 so we either rage against it or embrace it. And this club is in solid financial shape, but imagine if we start actually doing good work on sells in transfer market. No one wants to be selling club, but I would like to be a club that can professionally maximize player value.

GorgieFifeLife
28 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Morelos, is still a free agent....

If we get the Saudi Riyal for Shanks

Could he be worth a 2 year contract  ?

Yes, he's an utter [email protected] could he be our utter tw@t  ? 

If we asked him to come to us he would likely piss himself laughing.  He will get a better paid gig in due course.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Smithian said:

Shankland's price should be high, and it should be much higher for Glasgow suitors. But if a club out there really is waving around $3 million with add-on's, I think Hearts have to really consider taking it. It wouldn't be a "good" thing. You're not better losing your captain an top goal scorer. But anything $3+ million is a tidy piece of business.

One silver lining it is the Hearts have really been poor in the transfer selling market past years. A sell of Shankland could help recruiting team's pitch. "Come up here, play in big matches in front of 20k fans, play in Europe, live in a great city, and should your ability outpace our current ambition and a club down south or abroad offers you life changing money, we'll make it happen."

I imagine Hibs and Aberdeen right now in their sales pitch have to point at Hearts transfer record and say the right springboard to the Championship or a big foreign league is not Tynecastle. Lots of surrounding factors should be taken into account, still it is a fact Aberdeen and Hibs are sending more guys to big leagues than Hearts.

I'd rather never have to sell players on a next step, but it's 2023 so we either rage against it or embrace it. And this club is in solid financial shape, but imagine if we start actually doing good work on sells in transfer market. No one wants to be selling club, but I would like to be a club that can professionally maximize player value.

Spot on. 

Boyces beard

Would hate to lose Shanks but players have all the power in modern football. If we receive an offer and shanks wants to move then he will be gone, you don't want an unhappy player (especially your captain and main striker) in your squad as it can cause unrest in the dressing room and have a domino effect.

Just now, Boyces beard said:

Would hate to lose Shanks but players have all the power in modern football. If we receive an offer and shanks wants to move then he will be gone, you don't want an unhappy player (especially your captain and main striker) in your squad as it can cause unrest in the dressing room and have a domino effect.

Caving in just shows other players all they need to do is throw a strop to get what they want and they'll do it time and time again going forwards. Shankland signed his deal of his own free will and he's a professional and from what I can tell decent guy.

The absolute min we should be talking about is 4.5 million. Aberdeen got more for McKenna. Anything less and we are selling ourselves short. I hope our finances are in order as if we accept 3m it makes me wonder if the cash flow needs a boost. Prob not

I'd sell my Granny for £100, so don't expect any pant wetting to keep any of our players.  The only thing that would annoy me is the signed and framed Shankland top on my sons bedroom wall that he got at Christmas.

4 minutes ago, Smithian said:

What does <2.5 million quid get us though? Really not very much at all imo. He's worth far more to us.

fabienleclerq

In hus peak, scored nearly 30 goals last year, 2/3 this season so far 2/3.

North of 5/6 million or its a non starter for us.

GorgieFifeLife
Just now, fabienleclerq said:

In hus peak, scored nearly 30 goals last year, 2/3 this season so far 2/3.

North of 5/6 million or its a non starter for us.

5/6 million is fantasy stuff I’m afraid.  Any potential employers will consider the level which these goals have been scored at and also take into account his failure at previous clubs.  If we recruit properly we could easily find a Van Veen from somewhere who would cost us little and do the same job.  Something is going on with him though and I think he will be off.

Jambof3tornado
31 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

my Coventry pal says a lot the fans down there are not keen on him as he doesn't put a shift in i.e. chasing balls down etc.

I meant more his physical attributes ie can bring a ball in and hold it.

MarkDevriesScores4

If, and it’s a big if, Shankland is sniffing about for a move and the management team are aware of this then I’d be disappointed that he continues to be given the captain’s armband. If he wants to go then that’s fine but we can’t have a captain that doesn’t even want to be here in 3-4 weeks.

30 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

This is the point, life will move on in a post-Shankland world.  Tagawa will need to step up, we have Boyce, Oda and Vargas.  Barrie needs to chip in with a few too.  Hopefully we get more from defenders too - Kent and Kye.  Natty, Cochrane and Kingsley all capable.

We don't have goalscoring midfileders, but neither are they used this way particularly.  Newy could chip in.

But of course, I hope we sign another CF who maybe bags 15 or so.

63 league goals last season, similar sees us 3rd this year with even slightly better defence.

Boyce 10

Tagawa 10

Oda 8

Vargas 6

Barrie 5

Lowry 4

Nat 3

Cochrane 3

Kings 2

Kent 3

Kye 2

Others (Halks, Sibbick, Forrest, the CMs) 8-10

That's us there.  None of these numbers look outlandish to me.  Bring in another CF to take some of that burden.

As others have said, we got 3rd without Shanks, he's not everything.  Christ we started that season with Gnando as a main striker choice!!!  Granted losing Shanks AND Gino is a boot in the nuts!!!!! (again caveat, we ain't lost Shanks YET!)

Boyce scored about 16 goals in his last full season for us. He looks fit, sharp and raring to go.

18 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What does <2.5 million quid get us though? Really not very much at all imo. He's worth far more to us.

That is a hard question because I have no idea what the backroom structure is for funds brought in. If it was a straight "eat what you kill" situation like a good game of FM, then I think Savage could do serious work with 3 million, with the only constraint being bringing in players who would agree to our wage structure. But we know it wouldn't be that simple..

Let's say on the low end he only keeps 1/3 with rest going into other parts of club operation, such as covering for what should be paid for from Euro league phase. Savage has found players like Oda, Devlin, Cochrane, Kent, and Shanks himself for six figure fees. I would trust Savage to either try to find a near 1 million striker with true quality or to split that between a forward and a midfielder.

There are no guarantees, with new players maybe being brilliant Shankland style find or the next Kio. But the Hearts had better get effective in a hurry selling players with the coefficient making the days of European group football looking tougher and tougher.

I also say this with the caveat we don't know what is going on in the dressing room. If the staff is confident Shankland would put in professional duty should no transfer happen, the price has to be higher. Maybe 4 million. 

Absolute Scenes

If we get 4 million for Shanks, I would be investing it in our first ever 1 million player. Preferably a striker, young enough to still hit their peak and have sell on potential if need be. He’s been terrific for us, but he hasn’t looked great in pre season or the first few games, goals aside. 

54 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

This ...absolutely this.

Lots of great goals then. 

8 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Boyce scored about 16 goals in his last full season for us. He looks fit, sharp and raring to go.

Exactly, teams need to sell players.  When a guy does well, we'll lose him.  Job is to have boys under decent contracts so have some bartering space.  If Cochrane does well again, it'll happen.  Any of our boys who do well.  I want us to keep our best players, but this is the reality.

So we can't be doom and gloom about it.  It's the club doing well in the modern world.

We didn't have Shanks before we had Shanks!  We've not had a 20+ goal striker for quite some time, but we have scored goals!!!!!  We will again.  As I say, the kick in the nuts is Shanks AND Gino in one summer.  But hey, step up lads.

2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

We've still to replace the Gino goals never mind Shanklands!

Be quite something if Tagawa had already scored 15!

Thunder and Lightning

3 million could see the following. 

1 million to look for a direct replacement. Including wage. 

1 million to other projects

1 million to the women's team to strengthen

Can't say fairer... 

jambo in iraq

I think £5m upfront. That is minimum fair market value considering contract remaining and goals scored. Can’t really stand in the lads way of getting +25k a week in Saudi. Would use a wee percentage of that to go and poach Armstrong from Killie.

jambo in iraq
2 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Can't say fairer... 

lol I trust that is a joke! None of it should go near the women’s team!

Howdy Doody Jambo
4 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Can't say fairer... 

1 million to the women's team 😂 that's a cracker they are a separate business are they not?

18 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

If, and it’s a big if, Shankland is sniffing about for a move and the management team are aware of this then I’d be disappointed that he continues to be given the captain’s armband. If he wants to go then that’s fine but we can’t have a captain that doesn’t even want to be here in 3-4 weeks.

I noticed at HT he pulled the captains armband off as he walked off.   Thought that a bit strange 

51 minutes ago, Chimp said:

Motherwell signed Kevin van Veen for nowt and scored more goals than Shankland last year. Just to put things into perspective

Yep, a Scunthorpe legend and that’s why Well signed him. It’s a lot to do with how good your recruitment team and management team are connected. 

Edited by soonbe110

Bungalow Bill

Just read about Shankland and the Saudi’s in the Scotsman. Who is running their mouth with this £3 million chat? The Saudi’s are awash with money, £3 million would be embarrassing. Whatever we’d expect from a rival should have a premium on top of it for the Saudi’s. 

41 minutes ago, Taffin said:

If his head has been turned he's basically gone as these mercenaries hold the cards these days. 

Unfortunately this is the position we are stuck in when it comes to decent players playing for us (or any Scottish club outside old firm).

if you score 20+ goals in the Scottish premiership or perform to a high standard then you’re more than likely good enough to play in the English championship. They can offer so much more than us in wages and so it’s almost impossible for clubs like us to keep our best players long term. 

Best solution for us is to bring in players within our budget and sell them on for a healthy profit. If we do this consistently over a number of years then we can maybe start competing with those clubs down south in terms of wages. We haven’t been the best at making profits on our better players, definitely room for improvement there. 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Yep, a Scunthorpe legend and that’s why Well signed him. It’s a lot to do with how good your recruitment team and amazement team are connected. 

Motherwell signed KVV because Alexander managed him at Scunthorpe. 

Jambof3tornado
2 minutes ago, Carter said:

If his head has been turned he's basically gone as these mercenaries hold the cards these days. 

Even if they've offered to treble his wages his time with us draws to a close.

Its just what happens and what we need to happen to develop as a club. Moving players on at the right time isnt something we've found easy.

Just now, Carter said:

Motherwell signed KVV because Alexander managed him at Scunthorpe. 

Correct.  That’s what I was getting at. They only signed him because of his connection to Alexander. Connections, contacts etc is the basis of good recruitment. Not sure the analysts, stats guys etc have any real connections or contacts in the game. 

To be honest at the time I was disappointed we didn’t get both of them at Hearts. Still wonder how it would have played out 

53 minutes ago, Chimp said:

And it looks like they've replaced him with a big, strong, fast goal scorer who is actually a footballer.  Time will tell but he looks a handful. 

Going to hit that controversial button here button do you ever think the goal tally is overhyped. 

Shanks got 20 last season but 10 were from the spot , Gino couldnt have been far off goals from open play. Not saying I dont rate Shanks just saying you expect your penalty taker to be the favorite to put the ball in the back of the net rather than blast it into the stands and if that responsibility had fallen to someone else would his tally been that impressive. Some of the numbers thrown about for his value just seem way over the mark.

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

I just hope we’ve been planning for this possibility. 

In the first instance I’d go get Scott Wright to upgrade Forrest.

Someone needs their balls lopped off if we hadnt considered bids may come in for some of our players.