Shankland

Thomaso

1 hour ago, chrystaf said:

Again I agree, but if and it's a big if, a big offer comes in for him, we'd be silly to say no.

I wish I knew if there really is interest in him or is it just "paper talk", or "agent talk".  

If we get 4-5m then we would have to seriously consider it, if we are talking 2-3 then absolutely no way.

His goals could be the difference between ongoing European football this year (at a push) and almost certainly getting 3rd place this season and the riches that could bring. 
His transfer fee has to seriously reflect the impact his goals can have on future earnings to us as a club.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

5 minutes ago, Bozi said:

If we get 4-5m then we would have to seriously consider it, if we are talking 2-3 then absolutely no way.

His goals could be the difference between ongoing European football this year (at a push) and almost certainly getting 3rd place this season and the riches that could bring. 
His transfer fee has to seriously reflect the impact his goals can have on future earnings to us as a club.

Ach it’s a hard one considering even all those goals last season didn’t get 3rd

I think £2-3m is reasonable business in purely financial terms but not good for the football side IMO. Over £5m and you have a decent chance of replacing him plus a wad of change so you’d bite the hand off. I think we’re probably talking somewhere in between. £4m give or take

18 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

and that investment gets us 25 goals from shanks that gets us 3rd and a £5MIL euro group windfall, that works out at 3mil profit along with the fans getting VFM while watching but an awfy lotta fans just wanna cash in for 3mil now, theres no amount of head shaking at the fitba manger crowd on here, only a bad injury would change keeping shanks into a loing situation

That’s just ifs, buts and maybes. 

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I think £2-3m is reasonable business in purely financial terms but not good for the football side IMO. Over £5m and you have a decent chance of replacing him plus a wad of change so you’d bite the hand off. I think we’re probably talking somewhere in between. £4m give or take

Yeah I think if we get through tomorrow then it strengthens our bargaining position, going into a playoff spot " wee need his goals to help secure a £3-4m Euro windfall" would certainly make the decision interesting 

Walter Bishop
2 hours ago, Locky said:

Excuse my ignorance if this is old, but just saw this on Twitter. McAvoy, appearing to have a pretty stern chat, with what looks like Shankland?https://twitter.com/Dean_McIntyre11/status/1691790422811562360?s=20

Wow! Just shows how easily influenced people can be. McAvoy puts his arm around him, your looking at a still from a video. 

Pathetic. 

I just hope that the transfer speculation doesn't distract him and he starts throwing toys out the pram if we turn down a low offer from a club where he would be getting a high wage.

3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Indeed. Not only that. 25 goals from Shankland doesn’t get you 3rd. Well it didn’t last season so bit of a flaw in the reasoning there

16 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

It’s a tough call for the Club tbh.  Next summer he has only one year left on his contract, will be 29, how much will we get for him then if he wants one last bumper contract?  Doubt it would be as much as the £2-3m. Of course we could be the club that offers him a three year deal at £10+k pw but that’s a £2m investment in a 29 year-old.  Not sure we should be doing that. 

Honestly, I don't think it is. 

The £2m investment you're talking about is around £500k PA, which, if his goals get us 3rd, even just 1 time in the next 4 years, we've paid off the investment. TBH you could argue that its only really the increase in wages we should be factoring into that (as we could pay another striker exactly what we're paying him now and we have no idea what we would get), so it would be probably half of that, maybe less? Is a £250k risk to potentially return c£3m a season a good investment? Absolutely. 

Age isn't a factor till the player is over 32 IMO (look at how fit Boyce looks!!) and a 2 year extension would take him there. Can then reassess closer to then. 

I think we'll spend an awful lot more than £500k a year trying to replace him. It wasn't that long ago that Sow led to Bjorn Johnson, Robbie Muirhead, Esmael Goncalves*, Juanma, Tony Watt and Connor ****ing Sammon. How much of Sows transfer fee do you think those wasters ate up between them?

*Will concede Goncalves did pretty well. 

Just now, JimmyCant said:

Indeed. Not only that. 25 goals from Shankland doesn’t get you 3rd. Well it didn’t last season so bit of a flaw in the reasoning there

👍bird in the hand and all that. If anyone offers us £2m plus for a player there’s no way we would say no unless there’s multiple clubs after the player.  Younger players would probably have sell-ons in the deal as well but at 28 that has no value. £2m is about 25%-30% of our annual player wage-bill. We could do a lot with that. 

6 minutes ago, Hansel said:

I just hope that the transfer speculation doesn't distract him and he starts throwing toys out the pram if we turn down a low offer from a club where he would be getting a high wage.

He probably doesn’t know anything about it as it’s only big news on this thread really 

8 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

and so is getting a replacement for less than we get in transfer fee, at least we know shanks can do it, why speculate. i'd much rather keep him than go through another 600 pages throwing about names we aint gonna get and hundreds of numptys greeting their eyes out cause we havn't signed a better replacement yet and banked the 3mil being touted for the rest of the transfer window

2 minutes ago, OTT said:

The £2m investment you're talking about is around £500k PA, which, if his goals get us 3rd, even just 1 time in the next 4 years, we've paid off the investment. TBH you could argue that its only really the increase in wages we should be factoring into that (as we could pay another striker exactly what we're paying him now and we have no idea what we would get), so it would be probably half of that, maybe less? Is a £250k risk to potentially return c£3m a season a good investment? Absolutely. 

Age isn't a factor till the player is over 32 IMO (look at how fit Boyce looks!!) and a 2 year extension would take him there. Can then reassess closer to then. 

I think we'll spend an awful lot more than £500k a year trying to replace him. It wasn't that long ago that Sow led to Bjorn Johnson, Robbie Muirhead, Esmael Goncalves*, Juanma, Tony Watt and Connor ****ing Sammon. How much of Sows transfer fee do you think those wasters ate up between them?

It’s still a £2m investment on a player that’s 28. 

Boyce looks fit but how many goals has he scored in last 18 months? Age is a factor, always has been always will be. Every player plays less and less as they get older 
Our recruitment team is gash if they honestly can’t find a couple of strikers that will score 20-25 between them each season. 
As I said to another poster too many ifs buts and maybes.  We didn’t make third last season with his 28 goals, one player doesn’t make a team. All I was pointing out is that if we get a £2m plus offer for Shankland or any other player imo it’s a really tough call for the club to reject it. It’s Scottish football we talking about after all. 

21 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It’s funny you say that. Year on year I always have(or had) this debate with my mate, also a Hearts fan. He kept going on about a 20 plus ST.   Like all of us, admittedly, we craved a high scoring centre for years before Shanks but my side of the debate was always about having numerous threats.  

We got our man and yet finished 4th.  Of course, you can’t ignore the fine margins in football and background circumstances that affected the team negatively in the last weeks before Neilson left.  

Edited by Debut 4

56 minutes ago, bringonthesevco said:

Interesting definition of useless - I'd love to be that level of useless where I could but something and sell it 12 months later for 6 times the amount I paid.

There's probably less than 10 examples in the history of Scottish football where a team has made 500% profit on a player in 12 months...

That might make sense if it wasn't a Saudi team in for him.

5 minutes ago, reaths17 said:

and so is getting a replacement for less than we get in transfer fee, at least we know shanks can do it, why speculate. i'd much rather keep him than go through another 600 pages throwing about names we aint gonna get and hundreds of numptys greeting their eyes out cause we havn't signed a better replacement yet and banked the 3mil being touted for the rest of the transfer window

Our opinions differ, that’s fair. I just don’t see how we need to spend tons of money to find a striker that scores 15 goals per season from open play. Yes he is a pen expert, but if he wasn’t taking them last season how many would we have scored? 12/13? What difference would that have made? 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

It’s still a £2m investment on a player that’s 28. 

Boyce looks fit but how many goals has he scored in last 18 months? Age is a factor, always has been always will be. Every player plays less and less as they get older 
Our recruitment team is gash if they honestly can’t find a couple of strikers that will score 20-25 between them each season. 
As I said to another poster too many ifs buts and maybes.  We didn’t make third last season with his 28 goals, one player doesn’t make a team. All I was pointing out is that if we get a £2m plus offer for Shankland or any other player imo it’s a really tough call for the club to reject it. It’s Scottish football we talking about after all. 

that'll be every recruitment team in the world getting sacked then, how many have we had over the 150 years of our history ?

I’m not desperate for us to cash in on Shankland. We do well financially and having Shanks will increase our chances of doing better. It’s been over ten years since we won a cup and it’s about time that changed. If Shanks stays for another three years or so and leaves for free then I’ll take those memories over the prospect of telling my future kids “I saw us sell a player for a couple of million back in the day”

1 minute ago, reaths17 said:

that'll be every recruitment team in the world getting sacked then, how many have we had over the 150 years of our history ?

No point in looking back but finding two strikers that can score at least 10 each in a season shouldn’t be difficult. Ginnelly and Humphrys scored 17 between them last season. Think that proves my point. 

2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

I’m not desperate for us to cash in on Shankland. We do well financially and having Shanks will increase our chances of doing better. It’s been over ten years since we won a cup and it’s about time that changed. If Shanks stays for another three years or so and leaves for free then I’ll take those memories over the prospect of telling my future kids “I saw us sell a player for a couple of million back in the day”

i'm glad to have seen the last 3 to score over 20 all took pens as well, maybe 4 pettigrew? but that was 50 years worth of watching goalscores are the hardest to find which is why their the dearest , shanks must stay, i've seen loadsa bank notes

6 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

My thoughts exactly - unless the money is stupid then we must show ambition.

If our wage structure is preventing us keeping our star striker then we need to look at that.

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

No point in looking back but finding two strikers that can score at least 10 each in a season shouldn’t be difficult. Ginnelly and Humphrys scored 17 between them last season. Think that proves my point. 

how do we get both of them on the park when weve only got 28 goalscores position available ?

rudi must stay

Just met him at the chippy. He said he was off to Shangrala he reckoned the weather would be better he also hoped he could find a spouse

40 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

👍bird in the hand and all that. If anyone offers us £2m plus for a player there’s no way we would say no unless there’s multiple clubs after the player.  Younger players would probably have sell-ons in the deal as well but at 28 that has no value. £2m is about 25%-30% of our annual player wage-bill. We could do a lot with that. 

You’re saying the club would accept circa £2m for Shankland?! 

You’re saying a 28 year old striker sold by Hearts for £2m wouldn’t have a sell-on clause?!

You have to be on the wind-up if you’re saying Hearts would accept £2m for Lawrence Shankland. 

19 hours ago, One five said:

PS don’t forget the sell on fee 😉

After the players contracts end I recon the Saudi’s will just free most of the players they sign. The Saudi’s are spending billions on a youth development system where they are wanting to develop players for themselves and for selling. It’s going to be more than anyone else has ever attempted and of course money is no problem.

3 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

After the players contracts end I recon the Saudi’s will just free most of the players they sign. The Saudi’s are spending billions on a youth development system where they are wanting to develop players for themselves and for selling. It’s going to be more than anyone else has ever attempted and of course money is no problem.

It will be interesting to see how that goes. Personally, find the idea of a Saudi footballing super power pretty hard to imagine. Did China not try and promote football and are well... still shite?

Lossiemouth Jambo

Which Saudi club are supposedly in for him - anyone ? Bueller ? 

Ah ? Thought not!

Edited by Lossiemouth Jambo

38 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

2 players not doing what you say is easy proves your point? :interehjrling:

Malinga the Swinga
14 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

You’re saying the club would accept circa £2m for Shankland?! 

You’re saying a 28 year old striker sold by Hearts for £2m wouldn’t have a sell-on clause?!

You have to be on the wind-up if you’re saying Hearts would accept £2m for Lawrence Shankland. 

That's cause you are debating with someone who's been shit stirring since Robbie left. Best ignored to be honest 

Ricardo Quaresma
21 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

Developing saudi players for selling? To who?

Ricardo Quaresma
14 minutes ago, Lossiemouth Jambo said:

Ah ? Thought not!

It's been mentioned, can't remember

Thunder and Lightning
55 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Which cups did we win that year? 

1 hour ago, Bozi said:

Exactly. If his goals make us 5m, then he is worth at least that if not a lot more. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Hansel said:

:rofl:

I read " transfer " as " transgender"

Double take.

😭

Jambo in Bathgate
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

:rofl:

I read " transfer " as " transgender"

Double take.

😭

Don’t go there you’ll be cancelled! 

I hope we keep him, and I hope he remains focused on the job in hand. We need him contributing, and we need him scoring. Not sure we could replace his goals with 4 or 5M, highly doubt it, in today's market. 

Anyone else see Frankie on the telly box (STV) saying Shankland is going nowhere?

Says we have had no offers for him and all this is speculation, he is our player & Captain and will remain so.

Disser Pointon
2 minutes ago, jamboozy said:

Anyone else see Frankie on the telly box (STV) saying Shankland is going nowhere?

Says we have had no offers for him and all this is speculation, he is our player & Captain and will remain so.

Ah, it's like the old managerial vote of confidence! Just joking. 😍🤞

1 minute ago, Disser Pointon said:

Ah, it's like the old managerial vote of confidence! Just joking. 😍🤞

I must admit that thought went through my mind ,:unsure: but I’m ever so hopeful that he is, indeed going nowhere. I’m really hoping Hearts do well in all competitions this season and Shanks is key to that, imo of course.

53 minutes ago, Lossiemouth Jambo said:

Ah ? Thought not!

Gerard’s team I think were the ones mentioned in the media

Edited by Oda be a JT

1 hour ago, theshed said:

He probably doesn’t know anything about it as it’s only big news on this thread really 

Well his body language would suggest different imo.

1 minute ago, ShedBoy said:

I’ve tell ye shanks. Yer gaun naywhair

7F9299F5-AC7B-4CF2-8FC5-D8078403F45C.thumb.jpeg.3b7a0f1ae349b09d71dc68da2cb03c14.jpeg

Touch ma kebab pie again and I'll knock yer head off ya fat f

1 hour ago, Lossiemouth Jambo said:

Ah ? Thought not!

Al Be-off

2 hours ago, bringonthesevco said:

Interesting definition of useless - I'd love to be that level of useless where I could but something and sell it 12 months later for 6 times the amount I paid.

There's probably less than 10 examples in the history of Scottish football where a team has made 500% profit on a player in 12 months...

The crucial thing to remember is that Hearts took a gamble on Shankland. He scored for fun in the lower leagues, but hadn’t made an impression at the top level at United or in Belgium. A year later, he is a proven SPL goalscorer, has about 30 goals to his name, is back in the national squad and is still under contract for 2 years. Signing him now is much a far less risky prospect, and I don’t think a 500% markup is unreasonable at all.

indianajones

Still think he's going nowhere.

Also, a little respect for this goal machine please? We'd be absolutely ****ed with out Shankland. 

GorgieFifeLife
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Bjorn wasn’t a waster and went on to much bigger things than us.

Edited by GorgieFifeLife