Shankland

Thomaso

3 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Our new Australian mid will hopefully do that.

Think he's more of a defensive player but here's hoping.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

Just now, Gizmo said:

He's scored goals and defended to help the team.
None of that is poor. 

If you mean he looks isolated and frustrated in certain formations, fine that is obvious, but again that is not "poor". 

I mean his poor touch and constantly giving the ball away. I’m not having a go at his attitude but he’s not playing as well as last season so far this season. 

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 30 goal striker getting slaughtered to this extent 3 months later. Cmon guys. He’s our player and he’s our captain. He’s done very little wrong since he came to us and plenty right and if we’re going through tomorrow you can almost guarantee he’ll be something to do with it

Some of you need to look at yourselves and question what your actually trying to achieve on this thread

Edited by JimmyCant

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 30 goal striker getting slaughtered to this extent 3 months later. Cmon guys. He’s our player and he’s our captain. He’s done very little wrong since he came to us and plenty right and if we’re going through tomorrow you can almost guarantee he’ll be something to do with it

Some of you need to look at yourselves and question what your actually trying to achieve on this thread

... in a nutshell !

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Completely agree

HeartsandonlyHearts
6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

They’re all drama queens with nothing to do but whine.

last week it was his huge butt. This week it was his attitude. We can only guess to what next week will be.

Some absolute roasters on here, slagging off our club captain. 

Total idiots and probably not getting laid. 

12 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I agree Jimmy. He has been a great signing.  His goals will be missed.  His other contributions to the team are worthy of debate but that’s a different thread. 

The one thing some fans seem to have difficulty with is the expected selling price.  He has had one good season in a country top league in his career - last season. That league is far from near the top of the European league tables. He had an average return in top league with United, goalless half season with Aberdeen and disappointed in Belgium. Rest of his career has been in second, third tier. I’d be surprised if any British club is willing to pay more than £2-3m for him given his record and age. Saudis might pay more but why? There’s not a lot of competition for his signature which says it all

25 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Some of you need to look at yourselves and question how you've logged onto Kickback instead of hibs.net

FTFY

2 hours ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Source has always been reliable in the past, and we can all see he is still struggling with weight.

He's actually blowing out his ar@e right through games at the moment.

Just to follow up on your attitude comments though.  Shankland has indeed scored two vital goals, which no-one disputes, however he has been  really poor in all games this season.

20190116_110843.png.429c4e273614e432fea2bdf646d1e463.png

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, tian447 said:

Because he'll be sitting giggling away to himself at his wit, whilst he wastes his time trolling online. 

I feel sorry for these people. They clearly have absolutely nothing going on in their life that's worth a stuff, so they have to resort to desperately trying to get attention any way that they can. 

They think they're MI6 on assignment in the old ussr

10 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I agree Jimmy. He has been a great signing.  His goals will be missed.  His other contributions to the team are worthy of debate but that’s a different thread. 

The one thing some fans seem to have difficulty with is the expected selling price.  He has had one good season in a country top league in his career - last season. That league is far from near the top of the European league tables. He had an average return in top league with United, goalless half season with Aberdeen and disappointed in Belgium. Rest of his career has been in second, third tier. I’d be surprised if any British club is willing to pay more than £2-3m for him given his record and age. Saudis might pay more but why? There’s not a lot of competition for his signature which says it all

If as you say, clubs are not willing to pay more than £2-3m for him, why would we sell?

11 minutes ago, Hearts_fan said:

If as you say, clubs are not willing to pay more than £2-3m for him, why would we sell?

Take that a step further, if they're not willing to pay the asking price, how much are they really going to offer him in wages? - Bernebei that Celtic signed for £4m is only on £5k pw. Yes Shanks would get more, but Clubs aren't charities and certainly aren't in the business of paying more than they have to. 

We should make an improved wage offer to him and see if he's prepared to get round the negotiating table and thrash out a deal which works for everyone. 

4 hours ago, davemclaren said:

It took us 25 years to replace Robbo. 

Yes, but we thought losing Simms was the end of the world and guess what....

For me Shankland has looked no more off the pace than many others in the team, our pre-season work has left us  more short of match fitness than is usual at this time of year.

Think his frustration is in many ways down to how we are playing. When Ginnelly played up top with him he really benefitted from the space that was created for him but we haven't been able to do that so far this season. That may come with new players settling into their roles but it does raise the question of how do you most effectively utilise him. If Naismith wants to play in a different way up front then maybe he won't be too fussed if he does go.

Two things I am absolutely certain of though. Shankland has been great for us and he deserves 100% support tomorrow - no comedy booers trying to be funny either. On the down side if discussions have taken place with his agent about wages that are 2 or 3 times what we are paying then he will inevitably go and we need to maximise the fee.

5 minutes ago, Jodami said:

For me Shankland has looked no more off the pace than many others in the team, our pre-season work has left us  more short of match fitness than is usual at this time of year.

Think his frustration is in many ways down to how we are playing. When Ginnelly played up top with him he really benefitted from the space that was created for him but we haven't been able to do that so far this season. That may come with new players settling into their roles but it does raise the question of how do you most effectively utilise him. If Naismith wants to play in a different way up front then maybe he won't be too fussed if he does go.

Two things I am absolutely certain of though. Shankland has been great for us and he deserves 100% support tomorrow - no comedy booers trying to be funny either. On the down side if discussions have taken place with his agent about wages that are 2 or 3 times what we are paying then he will inevitably go and we need to maximise the fee.

No chance will he get booed. The fans love him. 

24 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

The world won't end I agree. We won our first major trophy in Decades after Robbo had become a bit part player.  

I still think we should hang on to a natural goal scorer like Shankland if we can.  

10 minutes ago, Locky said:

Excuse my ignorance if this is old, but just saw this on Twitter. McAvoy, appearing to have a pretty stern chat, with what looks like Shankland?https://twitter.com/Dean_McIntyre11/status/1691790422811562360?s=20

Nah. He had his arm around him. Pic was taken from a video I just watched that hearts had posted. 

https://fb.watch/mszpKCS5Kr/

Edited by Hansel

Just now, Hansel said:

Nah. He had his arm around him. Pic was taken from a video I just watched that hearts had posted. 

Fair enough. :lol: 

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Finally the voice of reason and sanity 🤗

40 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

I’m not sure many of us felt losing Simms at the end of a loan deal was anything like the end of the world, far less anywhere near comparable to the void that Robbo left. 

52 minutes ago, OTT said:

Take that a step further, if they're not willing to pay the asking price, how much are they really going to offer him in wages? - Bernebei that Celtic signed for £4m is only on £5k pw. Yes Shanks would get more, but Clubs aren't charities and certainly aren't in the business of paying more than they have to. 

We should make an improved wage offer to him and see if he's prepared to get round the negotiating table and thrash out a deal which works for everyone. 

I totally agree that Shankland should be offered a new improved contract if he hasn’t been already. He’s been absolutely fantastic for us since the day he signed. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
43 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Simms wouldn’t have scored 20 for us

4 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Be wary of posters adopting the name of Hearts Legends, then posting 5h1te

I have noticed this , Mercer and Doddie seem to be the go to

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Delighted if he stays, if he goes, it's on our terms. 

Form is temporary, class is permanent 

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

You slag off the team and the club constantly everwhere else James, hope you heed your own advice going forwards.

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 hour ago, chrystaf said:

Apart from the fact we never had Simms to lose - he was on loan and we always knew the chances of retaining his services were extremely thin. We also know that, as it turned out, we were very lucky to sign Shankland, and that the chances of picking up someone, or more than just one player, good enough to make up for the goals he scored is very slim, indeed.

ManxandCapeTownJambo

This place is always the same

Talk of a player leaving then he’s garbage

Decides to stay and he’s great again

Must be a fair sprinkling of Lochenders on this thread also

Shanks is our best player!

I'd like him to stay unless we get serious money for him. I wouldn't be offering a salary raise for the sake of it though. Extended deal, then sure...otherwise we can just keep him and not throw money away.

Bazzas right boot

Maybe Shanks was team Bob/ Humphrys/ Snodgrass  and not happy with the way things went.....

Or maybe he's not arsed and just a bit rusty.....

🤷

1 minute ago, Taffin said:

I'd like him to stay unless we get serious money for him. I wouldn't be offering a salary raise for the sake of it though. Extended deal, then sure...otherwise we can just keep him and not throw money away.

Agree with the principle of what you're saying, would maybe emphasise he has earned a salary review IMO and I think if we're keen to keep Shanks for longer than his initial contract, we're going to need to get serious about contract talks (and fast!)

If we leave it to the point where other clubs can float him offers, we've already lost. If we sort it now, he might be happy enough to sign/ his agent might view it as best option for financial security/ playing career. No guarantees with moves that they work out. 

I've saw some posts on here that Savage apparently is quite a tough negotiator, I don't want us acting difficult with Shanklands wage demands unless they really are beyond the scope of what we can do. Lets stretch as far as we can go, and see if he bites. I think for most of us, if we're only worth £4k pw (or whatever he's on) when we have 2 years left on his contract but suddenly worth £8-10k when Rangers and the likes are floating offers, then we'd feel a little bit let down and disappointed the club weren't willing to make the financial commitment earlier. 

We're not replacing those goals, so far cheaper to offer him a good deal than waste hundreds of thousands on players trying to replace him. 

22 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

The world won't end I agree. We won our first major trophy in Decades after Robbo had become a bit part player.  

I still think we should hang on to a natural goal scorer like Shankland if we can.  

Again I agree, but if and it's a big if, a big offer comes in for him, we'd be silly to say no.

I wish I knew if there really is interest in him or is it just "paper talk", or "agent talk".  

7 minutes ago, OTT said:

Agree with the principle of what you're saying, would maybe emphasise he has earned a salary review IMO and I think if we're keen to keep Shanks for longer than his initial contract, we're going to need to get serious about contract talks (and fast!)

If we leave it to the point where other clubs can float him offers, we've already lost. If we sort it now, he might be happy enough to sign/ his agent might view it as best option for financial security/ playing career. No guarantees with moves that they work out. 

I've saw some posts on here that Savage apparently is quite a tough negotiator, I don't want us acting difficult with Shanklands wage demands unless they really are beyond the scope of what we can do. Lets stretch as far as we can go, and see if he bites. I think for most of us, if we're only worth £4k pw (or whatever he's on) when we have 2 years left on his contract but suddenly worth £8-10k when Rangers and the likes are floating offers, then we'd feel a little bit let down and disappointed the club weren't willing to make the financial commitment earlier. 

We're not replacing those goals, so far cheaper to offer him a good deal than waste hundreds of thousands on players trying to replace him. 

Yeh all good points, I'd just rather have someone on 4k than 8k for 2 years. If he's unhappy, he'll always be unhappy as there's always going to be someone out there offering more (provided he keeps doing the business). Potentially you get to January and now he's unsettled as someone will offer 10-12k.

By all means, if 6k gets him to extend for another 2 on top then happy days. If there's no extension I wouldn't budge, it's not just the club that values him at 4k pw...he did too so his disappointment can be focused on himself just as equally.

Edited by Taffin

2 hours ago, Hearts_fan said:

Some absolute roasters on here, slagging off our club captain. 

Total idiots and probably not getting laid. 

Hate to say it but this place needs a complete deep clean.  A good start would be having a good look at this thread and some of the outrageous nonsense that’s been spouted.

Walter Bishop
5 hours ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Don't shoot the messenger.

Have it on good authority that the club have been furious with Shankland since he came back to pre-season, an astonishing 6-8 kilos overweight.

His attitude also sucks apparently, and it's almost as if he is trying to engineer an exit.

Have it on very good authority this is the biggest pile of shite on this thread. 👍

18 hours ago, Taffin said:

It was explained to you already before I posted. You started the insults, so don't act like it's uncalled for now that you've got some back.

Is it similar? No, not really. Read the great post explaining it by @A_A wehatethehibs

Having reread the tread on this, I see where the misunderstanding is, I think.  And it comes back to the simple point I made that in both occasions the player was tied to the club unless the club let him go.  That IS the exact situation.  What has been read into my post is the point about Wallace definitely downing tools and I am not saying Shankland has downed tools.  He was poor on Sunday and this season he has looked most of the time AS IF he was unfit or uninterested was they way I described it, because most of his first touches were very poor and we can disagree about that.  Some of his touches, too few, were good and it is unlike him; but to bundle that into the simple point I made that you again ignored and went for the "insult" angle, that as of right now, both players are/were tied to the club until the club says you can go.  End of!  Can't be simpler and to say it's a different age/time is not an answer to that point.

bringonthesevco
20 hours ago, briever said:

Tremendous business for the buying club - if we sold him for £3m is just another example of how useless our club is at selling players.

Interesting definition of useless - I'd love to be that level of useless where I could but something and sell it 12 months later for 6 times the amount I paid.

There's probably less than 10 examples in the history of Scottish football where a team has made 500% profit on a player in 12 months...

2 hours ago, Hearts_fan said:

It’s a tough call for the Club tbh.  Next summer he has only one year left on his contract, will be 29, how much will we get for him then if he wants one last bumper contract?  Doubt it would be as much as the £2-3m. Of course we could be the club that offers him a three year deal at £10+k pw but that’s a £2m investment in a 29 year-old.  Not sure we should be doing that. 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

It’s a tough call for the Club tbh.  Next summer he has only one year left on his contract, will be 29, how much will we get for him then if he wants one last bumper contract?  Doubt it would be as much as the £2-3m. Of course we could be the club that offers him a three year deal at £10+k pw but that’s a £2m investment in a 29 year-old.  Not sure we should be doing that. 

and that investment gets us 25 goals from shanks that gets us 3rd and a £5MIL euro group windfall, that works out at 3mil profit along with the fans getting VFM while watching but an awfy lotta fans just wanna cash in for 3mil now, theres no amount of head shaking at the fitba manger crowd on here, only a bad injury would change keeping shanks into a loing situation

Sinbad the Sailor
3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Spot on

3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Yes. It's crazy.

We should value him as long as he's here. I imagine Sevco would rather have him that the £6m Danilo.