Shankland

Thomaso

10 minutes ago, KG1874 said:

On shanks time in Belgium Shanks was on open goal saying he was played at RWB all season if that’s true that might explain his lack of goals. 

That's not true. I think he must've been pulling someones plunger. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Elwood P

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Bazzas right boot

• Thomaso

16 hours ago, OTT said:

Yep. Getting £3m for a striker that has just scored nearly 30 goals for us and still has 2 years remining on his contract is pathetic. 

If a bid came in over £5m there is a conversation to be had and some thinking to do. But TBH I don't want the money. I want Shanks to become a club hero here. We've had transfer fees for players before and what material difference did it make to the club? None. 

Beyond that, I don't want Savage approaching transfer dealings with 7 figures burning a hole in his pocket. Kio is a cautionary tale about spending money just because you can. The level we operate at, we don't need to spend money on transfer fees and this mythical next level folk talk about is pointless until it becomes sustainable. A transfer fee isn't sustainable income, its adhoc and a bit lucky. You can't plan for it, and you can't be assured its going to come in every year. 

That said, if he's going I'd rather sell to Saudi and hope for a Martin Boyle Scenario - have him back in c12 months because he can't stomach it out there. Move to Belgium was a shambles, and Saudi is a totally different non-western culture. 

If any other club got £5m+ for a 28 year old striker who has only had one good goal scoring season in top flight football, we'd be calling it ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fantastic player and if it's a choice between £3m in the bank or a committed, motivated Lawrence Shankland on the books, I'd keep him. But this isn't an up and coming 22 year old superstar, or a guy who has done it year after year at a good level. Having said all that, the Saudi clubs are mad so who knows what will happen!

42 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

Bit concerning if he goes when you consider losing his goals AND Josh’s

We’re not exactly riddled with goal scorers 

Think we have to give the new guys Varga and Tagawa a wee bit time.  Also Oda could reach the Ginelly numbers.  And there's Boyce of course.  

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Sorry I'm a bit behind I just jumped to the end of the thread has there been anything concrete mentioned by the Saudis or still just the paper chat from the other day ?

Nothing concrete, no quotes nothing! Could easily have been picked up from here, who knows. Might be some interest but if he does go the club will surely bank some money from it and look at improving the team. 

Considering Neymar will be on 2.5 million euros a week in Saudi and they forked out 90 million euros to get him,  it is a drop in the ocean whatever is paid for Shanks.

If folk are really denouncing £4m or so for him then all grip on reality is down the Tex Ritter.  We might not even get that much.  

Stupid Sexy Flanders
1 minute ago, Jambo61 said:

And make a profit! Both win!

I'd rather keep our best players on the park tbh. 

Just now, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Yeah..but we all know we are a selling club.......just generally very poor at it!

Re the potential move for Shanks then i'll be gutted if he leaves. I love it when he scores and that's purely to join in the singing with the Dave Clark 5's Glad all Over. I'm like a big kid and we all love a rocking Tynecastle. I haven't enjoyed myself as much in years tbh as I do right now. Anyway if Shanks leaves then I wish him nothing but the very best in life and his career. One that lots of jambos will follow with interest. Good luck Shanks, whatever you decide. 

Just now, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

It's a bit of a tricky one, the more money we make from player sales the better players we'll be able to afford but we have targets (particularly league position) that need to be achieved.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
4 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Yeah..but we all know we are a selling club.......just generally very poor at it!

We didn't sign him with the sole purpose of selling him, is what I'm trying to say. Well I hope not anyway. I'd like to think we signed him with the intention of winning football matches, not making money. 

5 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

I don't think the 'very poor at it' part is going to be true for long.

The signing policy announced in the close season after our most recent promotion to sign younger players with the potential to improve will bear fruit soon enough. The situation with Souttar and Ginelly leaving for free will happen and similar things happen at every club but if we have enough players of value in the squad we will get some bids in when they are sill under contract.

Edited by GinRummy

7 minutes ago, Jambo61 said:

Aye we did!

I imagined we bought him to score goals.

Selling for a sizeable profit is a bonus and nothing more.

Stupid Sexy Flanders
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

It's a bit of a tricky one, the more money we make from player sales the better players we'll be able to afford but we have targets (particularly league position) that need to be achieved.

If we keep unearthing 25-goals-a-season strikers for free, then aye I'm all for it. My fear is that we lose Shankland and then find out that actually, it's going to be very difficult to replace his goals. 

1 minute ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

If we keep unearthing 25-goals-a-season strikers for free, then aye I'm all for it. My fear is that we lose Shankland and then find out that actually, it's going to be very difficult to replace his goals. 

That's the thing. I'd rather he stayed but what could we build with between 3-6 million (depending on which valuation, you believe). 

It's a tough decision and I wouldn't fancy being the one making it.

14 minutes ago, Pingu said:

If any other club got £5m+ for a 28 year old striker who has only had one good goal scoring season in top flight football, we'd be calling it ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a fantastic player and if it's a choice between £3m in the bank or a committed, motivated Lawrence Shankland on the books, I'd keep him. But this isn't an up and coming 22 year old superstar, or a guy who has done it year after year at a good level. Having said all that, the Saudi clubs are mad so who knows what will happen!

About where I am. I would love him to stay and keep scoring loads but that may not be possible if crazy money is on the table for the club and the player.

We should say to clubs it is £5 million or no sale.  The guy hit nearly 30 goals last year.  

If Shankland isnt happy, thats the way it goes.  He is in contract and he isn't going to jeapordise his Scotland prospects by going in a huff.  He is a professional.   

We roll over far too often in these situations.  

12 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I imagined we bought him to score goals.

Selling for a sizeable profit is a bonus and nothing more.

A sizeable profit lets you invest in the next player to nurture, enjoy and sell on! Nothing more!

The Mercer Takeover

Don't shoot the messenger.

Have it on good authority that the club have been furious with Shankland since he came back to pre-season, an astonishing 6-8 kilos overweight.

His attitude also sucks apparently, and it's almost as if he is trying to engineer an exit.

The Real Maroonblood
13 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Downed tools? He was chasing back Killie players from their box to ours when they broke away from our corner at the weekend. Some people really are ****ing idiots. 

Car crash thread.

13 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

It took us 25 years to replace Robbo. 

12 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Have it on good authority that the club have been furious with Shankland since he came back to pre-season, an astonishing 6-8 kilos overweight.

His attitude also sucks apparently, and it's almost as if he is trying to engineer an exit.

Read the first sentence - knew the post would be lies

Read the second sentence - lies confirmed as my own eyes recognise 6 - 8 kgs 

Stopped reading

16 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Bollocks.

42 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

That's not true. I think he must've been pulling someones plunger. 

Aye maybe I never watched any of his games tbh I just remember the comment. 

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

:rofl:

17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Im curious as I was young lad when Robbo was kicking a ball even though I remember him as a hero of mine.. was he our designated spot kicker?

MarkDevriesScores4
20 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

And yet he’s still given the captain’s armband and plays every minute of every game 😂

what a load of Barry white 

Stupid Sexy Flanders
18 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Exactly. And some people are chasing him out the door for the good of the bank balance.  🙄 

Unknown user
19 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

I heard the same except it was 68kg overweight and he bummed Anderson's best mate's daughter

The_razors_edge
39 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Re the potential move for Shanks then i'll be gutted if he leaves. I love it when he scores and that's purely to join in the singing with the Dave Clark 5's Glad all Over. I'm like a big kid and we all love a rocking Tynecastle. I haven't enjoyed myself as much in years tbh as I do right now. Anyway if Shanks leaves then I wish him nothing but the very best in life and his career. One that lots of jambos will follow with interest. Good luck Shanks, whatever you decide. 

It’s all good mate. If he does leave, Kenny Vargas fits in to the song so we can still use it when he starts banging in the goals 👌🏻😁

20 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Might as well chase the first one to do it right out the door 🙄

5 minutes ago, Americana said:

Im curious as I was young lad when Robbo was kicking a ball even though I remember him as a hero of mine.. was he our designated spot kicker?

Yes, and I don't recall him missing many.

Shanks is no doubt made a difference to the team however lets just say that we already had an established penalty taker at the club and Shanks hadnt got to take them then we are looking at around 16/18 goals last season, that said we all know that Boyce wasnt the most consistent for pens so we would need to find that player too !!

3 minutes ago, Jamborose said:

Shanks is no doubt made a difference to the team however lets just say that we already had an established penalty taker at the club and Shanks hadnt got to take them then we are looking at around 16/18 goals last season, that said we all know that Boyce wasnt the most consistent for pens so we would need to find that player too !!

14 goals from open play last season, sure Gino had 11, 1 more than Van Veen. Not saying he is overhyped but certainly dont think hes not replaceable.

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Robbo missed quite a few, the most memorable being against Dundee when he would have completed a 5 minute hat-trick. 
31-10-87

30 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

One of the biggest pile of crap  on this thread why do people post pish like that. Is it for attention or a WUM. His attitude sucks you kidding me . 2 goals in 3. Ran his arse of at St Johnstone and got a goal.  Kept going until the end in Norway and got a goal that might see us through and make us few 100k for next round. If that is shanks attitude will take that every day of the week.

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

I think he had one saved in a midweek game at home against someone like Motherwell.  But he scored the rebound.  I'm gonna say it was 1996.

realistically we will be in a stronger bargaining position if we qualify for the next round on Thursday, win and we can say his value to the club is around £5m because his goals could help us qualify for the group stages. 

Tbh if it's got as far as the papers then I feel we will see him go, the question is how much? Can we get a bidding war going and drive his price up.

Whatever the outcome, the person signed to fill his boots will have a huge expectancy on them

50 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Don’t be so daft. This is jkb and we will always be overly critical of proven quality while being overly optimistic about new players that have done hee haw.  

My feeling is that Shankland and Hearts are a perfect fit. I don't think he is good enough to be successful at a higher level. So purely from a football point of view I think he would be best staying put.

But listening to him on Open Goal a few weeks back it sounded like he was looking for a big money move. And if he can set himself up for life by moving down south or to Saudi, he's probably going to do that. 

The signings of Vargas and Tagawa suggest that Hearts are planning for the possibility that he will move on. Remains to be seen how they fit in but both looked exciting on debut.

22 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I heard the same except it was 68kg overweight and he bummed Anderson's best mate's daughter

Seriously?

:wow:

40 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Tbf Dave, we've never had millions to buy a striker. 

We could replace Shankland. I have no doubt. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
10 minutes ago, Shaggy2 said:

Robbo missed quite a few, the most memorable being against Dundee when he would have completed a 5 minute hat-trick. 
31-10-87

I was at that game, think Geddis saved it. 

44 minutes ago, The Mercer Takeover said:

Brilliant!

well played @The Mercer Takeover. it's these kinds of posts which make my trips to Kickback worthwhile.

it would explain why Shanks is looking like this being mote than a stone overweight:

IMG_2780.thumb.jpeg.6453c66f47e6205d109bcf9014395378.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Bozi said:

realistically we will be in a stronger bargaining position if we qualify for the next round on Thursday, win and we can say his value to the club is around £5m because his goals could help us qualify for the group stages. 

Tbh if it's got as far as the papers then I feel we will see him go, the question is how much? Can we get a bidding war going and drive his price up.

Whatever the outcome, the person signed to fill his boots will have a huge expectancy on them

If we can find a good penalty taker in our squad shanks goals can be replaced as boyce has scored as much from out field. If we invested a lot of any cash we get in a quality midfielder and another striker we will be fine and probs better. Spend at least 1 mil per player in our league that is more than our rivals for 3rd can afford may help widen the gap from them. So not the end of the world. Also any of our new players could get 15 plus goals this season with good service. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Tbf Dave, we've never had millions to buy a striker. 

We could replace Shankland. I have no doubt. 

I think we can too but at this stage of the window, not necessarily easy. And the thing with Shankland is that he’s in the routine here, already proven and in the habit of getting goals. No guarantee that someone else will settle as well.