B Team 2023/24

Footballfirst

Couldn’t get along to the game last night ! Did anyone get along?? Seems like a good victory considering the state of the park? Some big individual performances from some last night according to foxys interview? 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Footballfirst

• Chuck Berry

• Niemi’s gloves

Chuck Berry
51 minutes ago, Jonbo said:

Couldn’t get along to the game last night ! Did anyone get along?? Seems like a good victory considering the state of the park? Some big individual performances from some last night according to foxys interview? 

It was a dogged performance on a terrible pitch and then pishing rain second half.  We kept at it and got the result we deserved.   McLuckie handled the conditions well and Rathie was good on his return from injury.

soonbe110
17 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Been in first team squad a lot

Wasn’t on Monday and not in B team last night so suspect injury or illness 

Saw a recent thread on the first team squad and discussing what the future had in store. Thought would be interesting to do the same for the B Team. Likely omitted others favourite, but just how I see it.

2004s – Understand none being offered contracts. That was the chat last night and at Ainslie Park on Fri night.

2005s – Sandilands appears the pick of the bunch. Great attitude and just keeps getting better. Occasionally gets to train with first team and will only increase over the next 12 months. Suspect this pre season will be huge for him and could see him making more squads in the 24/25 season. Rathie likely not kicked on like some thought. His goal at Dunfermline could have been a catapult into first team reckoning. But another one that could have a big future. Ethan Drysdale one to watch and if he can keep injury free then think this boy could surprise. McFarlane another one I really like and who high hopes for, like Stone, could see a loan move next season.

2006s – McLuckie pick of the bunch. Went on pre season to Spain, then moved back to u18s, but quickly progressed back to B Team. Since turn of the year has likely been best player and got everyone talking about him again, which has seen him train with first team and made Morton squad. Like Sandilands, I think pre season will be huge for him and can easily see him getting first team minutes next year. I also like Kai Smutec, had a big dip in form, as well as injury, but has been very good of late.

2007s – Wilson only B Team player who currently trains full time with first team. Undoubtedly next to get minutes, and appears to follow Tait’s example of 10-20 bench appearances before Naisy gives league debut. European group stage football (fingers crossed) will provide young players (Wilson, McLuckie, Sandilands and Rathie) with more opportunities. Gus Stevenson likely had slower year than would have wanted, but this guy might surprise in the next 12 months.

2008s – Interesting one here. Tas likely gets B Team involvement at some stage. Hogarth and Glasgow the other 2 players of note, but talk they covet moves away.

2009s – Hutchison will be 9-10 months until 16yrs old before eligible for B Team.

johnking123
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Wasn’t on Monday and not in B team last night so suspect injury or illness 

So he wasn't. Oh well. Hopefully nothing long term. 

Niemi’s gloves
32 minutes ago, FIGJAM said:

Saw a recent thread on the first team squad and discussing what the future had in store. Thought would be interesting to do the same for the B Team. Likely omitted others favourite, but just how I see it.

2004s – Understand none being offered contracts. That was the chat last night and at Ainslie Park on Fri night.

2005s – Sandilands appears the pick of the bunch. Great attitude and just keeps getting better. Occasionally gets to train with first team and will only increase over the next 12 months. Suspect this pre season will be huge for him and could see him making more squads in the 24/25 season. Rathie likely not kicked on like some thought. His goal at Dunfermline could have been a catapult into first team reckoning. But another one that could have a big future. Ethan Drysdale one to watch and if he can keep injury free then think this boy could surprise. McFarlane another one I really like and who high hopes for, like Stone, could see a loan move next season.

2006s – McLuckie pick of the bunch. Went on pre season to Spain, then moved back to u18s, but quickly progressed back to B Team. Since turn of the year has likely been best player and got everyone talking about him again, which has seen him train with first team and made Morton squad. Like Sandilands, I think pre season will be huge for him and can easily see him getting first team minutes next year. I also like Kai Smutec, had a big dip in form, as well as injury, but has been very good of late.

2007s – Wilson only B Team player who currently trains full time with first team. Undoubtedly next to get minutes, and appears to follow Tait’s example of 10-20 bench appearances before Naisy gives league debut. European group stage football (fingers crossed) will provide young players (Wilson, McLuckie, Sandilands and Rathie) with more opportunities. Gus Stevenson likely had slower year than would have wanted, but this guy might surprise in the next 12 months.

2008s – Interesting one here. Tas likely gets B Team involvement at some stage. Hogarth and Glasgow the other 2 players of note, but talk they covet moves away.

2009s – Hutchison will be 9-10 months until 16yrs old before eligible for B Team.

Interesting and useful summary. Liam McFarlane is actually a 2004 rather than a 2005 but he has of course already got an extended contract (and is I think still eligible to play in the LL next season under the goalkeeper extra year dispensation).

Of the other 2004s, I wonder if Callum Flatman might get another year if he can stay fit and impress for the rest of his time at Edinburgh City, given his earlier promise and the extent to which his development was disrupted by injury.

Of the 2006s it’s interesting that you mention Kai Smutek but not his fellow central defender Kenzi Nair (out injured for the last couple of weeks but a regular B team player before that)

RustyRightPeg
34 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

So he wasn't. Oh well. Hopefully nothing long term. 

Gordon Forrest was ill as well, so a slight chance a wee bug in the camp.

Chuck Berry
1 hour ago, FIGJAM said:

Who are all the 2004's?

Niemi’s gloves
3 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Who are all the 2004's?

Dall, Thomas, H Gordon, and McConnell; plus Kirk and Flatman who are out on loan.  Also McFarlane and Pollock but they already have contracts for another two years and one year respectively, I think.

Chuck Berry
6 minutes ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Dall, Thomas, H Gordon, and McConnell; plus Kirk and Flatman who are out on loan.  Also McFarlane and Pollock but they already have contracts for another two years and one year respectively, I think.

Thanks. Surprised at Bailey Dall to be honest, I think he has potential.   They surely won't be letting Kirk go?

Footballfirst
2 hours ago, FIGJAM said:

I fear that Hearts may not see much benefit from the top 2007s/08s/09s given the number of scouts sniffing around with cheque books at the ready.  However, among the 07s, Wilson and Stevenson do have contracts for next season.  I'd add Matty Gillies as another one to watch

Of the 08s, Hogarth is already 16, so should have been offered a contract. Tas won't be 16 until May but has already had exposure down south when invited to an England training camp last year. Glasgow seems to be a smart kid and attends Watsons, but I don't know his priorities at this time. Others in that age group who deserve a mention are Callen Robb, Josh Ratcliffe, Alfie Osborne and Charlie Sanders.

The 09s currently have Hutchison as the standout, including with Scotland (he has also been at an England training camp), so will be on the radar of the EPL scouts. He will be 16 next January and will be capable of going straight into the B Team squad. There are also another half a down or so who look decent prospects at this early stage in their development.

I believe that around 10 of the 2010s have been invited to the first Scotland regional trials at their age group (along with 80 others! - totally OTT and unnecessary IMO).

Footballfirst

FIFA's Infantino influence comes to the fore once again.

FIFA has decided to expand the U17s World Cup to 48 teams and play it annually.  They also announced the venues for the final stages for the next five years .................... Qatar, Qatar, Qatar, Qatar, and you've guessed it, Qatar.

The women's U17 tournament is following the same format with the final stages to be held in Morocco for the next five years.

Gorgierools
1 minute ago, Footballfirst said:

FIFA has decided to expand the U17s World Cup to 48 teams and play it annually.  They also announced the venues for the final stages for the next five years .................... Qatar, Qatar, Qatar, Qatar, and you've guessed it, Qatar.

The women's U17 tournament is following the same format with the final stages to be held in Morocco for the next five years.

Another big backhander hits the bank accounts of FIFA's big cheese bank accounts. Corrupt to the core and not even trying to hide it. 

On 13/03/2024 at 18:08, Footballfirst said:

I fear that Hearts may not see much benefit from the top 2007s/08s/09s given the number of scouts sniffing around with cheque books at the ready.  However, among the 07s, Wilson and Stevenson do have contracts for next season.  I'd add Matty Gillies as another one to watch

Of the 08s, Hogarth is already 16, so should have been offered a contract. Tas won't be 16 until May but has already had exposure down south when invited to an England training camp last year. Glasgow seems to be a smart kid and attends Watsons, but I don't know his priorities at this time. Others in that age group who deserve a mention are Callen Robb, Josh Ratcliffe, Alfie Osborne and Charlie Sanders.

The 09s currently have Hutchison as the standout, including with Scotland (he has also been at an England training camp), so will be on the radar of the EPL scouts. He will be 16 next January and will be capable of going straight into the B Team squad. There are also another half a down or so who look decent prospects at this early stage in their development.

I believe that around 10 of the 2010s have been invited to the first Scotland regional trials at their age group (along with 80 others! - totally OTT and unnecessary IMO).

Tbf, the first Scotland trial seems to be literally the entire squad of the elite academies. On the chq book comment,  I have often wondered whether Hearts preference is to sell their best players to EPL academies. It does feel that way most of the times tbh.

52 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The blatant underhand nature of all this is staggering. When Infantino retires there is no doubt a Qatari ambassadorial.

jamboinglasgow
2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

FIFA and especially Infantino are incredible for how blatant they are to give Qatar and Saudi Arabia everything. There is no logical reason for those two getting all these competitions except money.

I thought Blatter was bad, but Infantino has been worse in a lot of ways. See how they have effectively handed the 2034 World Cup to Saudi Arabia, by suddenly announcing the World Cup in 2030 will be held not just in Spain, Portgual and Morocco who bid, but also Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay, which just happened to mean that the world cup was taking place in Europe, Africa and South America meaning that those continents could not bid for 2034 as the World Cup cant be held in the same continent twice in a row. With North America having had one in 2026 it left only Asia. Then having said before they would not have the bidding for two world cups happen in the same year, they suddenly announce that the bidding for 2034 was open but they only had a couple of weeks to bid. Meaning no one except Saudi Arabia (who had a bid ready) could realistically bid.

just depressing.

On 13/03/2024 at 15:28, Niemi’s gloves said:

Interesting and useful summary. Liam McFarlane is actually a 2004 rather than a 2005 but he has of course already got an extended contract (and is I think still eligible to play in the LL next season under the goalkeeper extra year dispensation).

Of the other 2004s, I wonder if Callum Flatman might get another year if he can stay fit and impress for the rest of his time at Edinburgh City, given his earlier promise and the extent to which his development was disrupted by injury.

Of the 2006s it’s interesting that you mention Kai Smutek but not his fellow central defender Kenzi Nair (out injured for the last couple of weeks but a regular B team player before that)

It was the 4 2004s, Dall, Thomas, Gordon and Flatman. All released.

Smutek has something about him, a physicality and athleticism which is impressive. Not the finished article by any stretch, but future potential I think

is greater than most.

On 13/03/2024 at 18:08, Footballfirst said:

I think you’re right. It was clearly a coup for Hearts to land Wilson last year. Not sure it has worked out.

Tait sat on the bench 25 times before debut, Wilson likely will be the same. Is that quick enough?

Hearts can’t compete financially with English clubs so it is only pathway to the first team to convince the Hearts elite youths to stay. I am being very harsh, but does have the look and feel of a wrong move for Wilson. It is hardly going to entice others to follow. 
Other clubs have given 16 yr olds many minutes. I thought Hearts would get third and also provide more minutes to the best youth.

Chuck Berry
13 minutes ago, FIGJAM said:

I think you’re right. It was clearly a coup for Hearts to land Wilson last year. Not sure it has worked out.

Tait sat on the bench 25 times before debut, Wilson likely will be the same. Is that quick enough?

Hearts can’t compete financially with English clubs so it is only pathway to the first team to convince the Hearts elite youths to stay. I am being very harsh, but does have the look and feel of a wrong move for Wilson. It is hardly going to entice others to follow. 
Other clubs have given 16 yr olds many minutes. I thought Hearts would get third and also provide more minutes to the best youth.

Wilson plays in that position where it is much more difficult to break through into the first team at that age IMO.   That said, he came off the bench at Spartans, and there may be a few more in store before the end of the season.   Next season very much make or break for him at Hearts I feel.

At this stage I feel McLuckie offers more playing forward but wide, and isn't afraid to get past his man and into the box. I'd like to see him get a chance before the end of the season.

AppleTarts
21 minutes ago, FIGJAM said:

Not sure I'd agree with that.

Last season, Wilson played a game or two for the B-team and was a highly rated prospect.

This season, he stepped up to being a regular B-team starter, starting off at RW to get used to the league/physical side and has now been moved over to striker after Kirk got punted out on loan in January. As well as this, he's been more involved with first-team training, first team squads and even played 30mins in the cup. He'll get even more exposure towards the end of the season in a much better environment.

The only reason he hasn't had more minutes for the first team is because he isn't ready, he struggled a bit start of the season with the B-team so throwing him in the first team would have been a backstep. Someone like Rory Whittaker at Hibs has only played so many games because Cadden and Miller had injuries, so they just chucked him in as a last resort - and their results speak for themselves. They even recalled Megawa from his loan spell in January to fill in a few games whilst Miller was at the Asian Cup because Whittaker wasn't cutting it (naturally because he's 16).

2 hours ago, AppleTarts said:

Not sure I'd agree with that.

Last season, Wilson played a game or two for the B-team and was a highly rated prospect.

This season, he stepped up to being a regular B-team starter, starting off at RW to get used to the league/physical side and has now been moved over to striker after Kirk got punted out on loan in January. As well as this, he's been more involved with first-team training, first team squads and even played 30mins in the cup. He'll get even more exposure towards the end of the season in a much better environment.

The only reason he hasn't had more minutes for the first team is because he isn't ready, he struggled a bit start of the season with the B-team so throwing him in the first team would have been a backstep. Someone like Rory Whittaker at Hibs has only played so many games because Cadden and Miller had injuries, so they just chucked him in as a last resort - and their results speak for themselves. They even recalled Megawa from his loan spell in January to fill in a few games whilst Miller was at the Asian Cup because Whittaker wasn't cutting it (naturally because he's 16).

Third place in the league is impressive. I thought Tait, McLuckie and Wilson would get more time. I really did.

According to recent article, six SPL clubs have played 16 year olds, Whittaker and Franczak getting serious minutes amongst the six.

I saw enough of Tait 18 months ago to know the lad could play. I’ve seen enough to know others can to. Probably comes down to size of squad that opportunities are limited.

But my point still stands, why would any young player stay if years 16-18 not given any real minutes.

At 18s game just now and just heard one parent of best prospects note lack of true pathway of her son.

An early call, but I suspect our best talent in years to come will not take Wilson’s choice and I don’t blame them.

Chuck Berry
2 hours ago, FIGJAM said:

Third place in the league is impressive. I thought Tait, McLuckie and Wilson would get more time. I really did.

According to recent article, six SPL clubs have played 16 year olds, Whittaker and Franczak getting serious minutes amongst the six.

I saw enough of Tait 18 months ago to know the lad could play. I’ve seen enough to know others can to. Probably comes down to size of squad that opportunities are limited.

But my point still stands, why would any young player stay if years 16-18 not given any real minutes.

At 18s game just now and just heard one parent of best prospects note lack of true pathway of her son.

An early call, but I suspect our best talent in years to come will not take Wilson’s choice and I don’t blame them.

If U16 - U18 - B - First team isn't a pathway, I'm not sure what is to be honest.  Whether their son is up to it is another matter.

You seem to be critical of what the Academy is doing, flying in the face of what we see on the pitch with B team players getting promoted to the first team. Do you have a vested interest as you only ever comment on Academy/B team matters?

Edited by Chuck Berry

1 hour ago, Chuck Berry said:

If U16 - U18 - B - First team isn't a pathway, I'm not sure what is to be honest.  Whether their son is up to it is another matter.

You seem to be critical of what the Academy is doing, flying in the face of what we see on the pitch with B team players getting promoted to the first team. Do you have a vested interest as you only ever comment on Academy/B team matters?

Just a Hearts supporter who loves watching Academy and B Team games. I think Hearts have the greatest academy, and would not say a bad word about it. Not sure I have ever said a critical word. My point is that i am not sure we promote quick enough. Just my opinion. Other clubs in Scotland, indeed other clubs in the top European leagues give debuts at 16-17, while we celebrate Tait at 18. 

18 minutes ago, FIGJAM said:

Just a Hearts supporter who loves watching Academy and B Team games. I think Hearts have the greatest academy, and would not say a bad word about it. Not sure I have ever said a critical word. My point is that i am not sure we promote quick enough. Just my opinion. Other clubs in Scotland, indeed other clubs in the top European leagues give debuts at 16-17, while we celebrate Tait at 18. 

Was Tait ready to play first team football at 16? I'm all for giving youth a chance but not just for the sake of it, throwing them in too early can also negatively impact a player's career.

Chuck Berry
23 minutes ago, andrew said:

Was Tait ready to play first team football at 16? I'm all for giving youth a chance but not just for the sake of it, throwing them in too early can also negatively impact a player's career.

This. The B team generally consists of players 16-19 age range. It's a great introduction to adult football for them and some will progress quicker than others, most will be released. Getting hung up on what age they get involved in the first team is a bit simplistic. Tait is getting involved just at the right time for him imo. 

Pollock, Wilson, Tait & Denholm are great examples to others that there definitely is a pathway. McLuckie and Sandilands may also get game time before the season is out.

Heart&soul

B team won at Linlithgow Rose today (0:1). Sandilands the scorer. 

Shipwrecked

Went to see the B team today rather than go to Dingwall (a good decision as it turned out). First time I've seen them, and despite all looking very young, they played well. All comfortable on the ball and looking to pass. Similar set up to the first team(with Wilson up front on his own doing the thankless task that Shankland does). Big difference was that (1st half especially) they moved the ball quickly/attacked with pace. Should have been well ahead by the time they scored, then had to hold on a bit as Linlithgow pushed for an equaliser. Sandilands took his goal really well, Macfarlane had some good saves, and Rathie did a good Halkett style shift at the back. Also good to see the young guys standing up for themselves and giving it back (like Tait against Celtic). And good too see them celebrating at the end - a bit of spirit about the group. 

Mikey1874

FOX: WE KEEP LEARNING AND IMPROVING

16 March 2024

Hearts B head coach Liam Fox was full of praise for his Wee Jambos side after they picked up their third victory in eight days with a 1-0 victory over Linlithgow Rose at Prestonfield.

It was a first-half that the men in maroon dominated, but they couldn’t find the breakthrough until after the interval, with Callum Sandilands volleying home the only goal of the game.

Speaking to the Official Hearts Website, Fox said:

“Up until we scored, we were really good," he said. "We passed the ball really well; we caused them all sorts of problems just with our rotations and the way we moved the ball.

“That’s the stuff we work on all the time, so that was all really good, my only complaint was that we didn’t put the ball in the net. We got ourselves in some really good positions and we didn’t capitalise on that.

“You’re always worried in games like that, when you’re so dominant and create so many chances, but don’t take them, that they can come back to bite you.

“After the goal, we did a couple of chances off the back of that, if we’d taken one of those it would’ve made the end of the game much more comfortable. 

But I have to give credit to the players, because they’ve had a really tough week with three really tough games.

“They managed the game really well at the end. Linlithgow had a couple of half chances towards the end, but that is always going to happen. We defended our box really well, defended crosses really well.

“Liam McFarlane was excellent again today. So, all in all, it’s been a really tough week, but I’m really pleased with the progress we’re making.”

It’s now five wins in a row for the Jambos as they remain second in the Lowland League and Fox admits, that the players are learning and gathering momentum.

“You can see the momentum and the confidence in them. But their attitude and application has been fantastic since the minute I came in. I can’t praise them enough for that, but now you can see that they’re learning and improving.

“Confidence is such a big thing in football and winning helps as well of course, but the challenge for the boys is to keep producing performances to catch the eye of the manager and the first team staff. So, we’re happy with where we’re at, but we know we’ve got more that we need to do.”  

Edited by Mikey1874

19 minutes ago, Shipwrecked said:

Went to see the B team today rather than go to Dingwall (a good decision as it turned out). First time I've seen them, and despite all looking very young, they played well. All comfortable on the ball and looking to pass. Similar set up to the first team(with Wilson up front on his own doing the thankless task that Shankland does). Big difference was that (1st half especially) they moved the ball quickly/attacked with pace. Should have been well ahead by the time they scored, then had to hold on a bit as Linlithgow pushed for an equaliser. Sandilands took his goal really well, Macfarlane had some good saves, and Rathie did a good Halkett style shift at the back. Also good to see the young guys standing up for themselves and giving it back (like Tait against Celtic). And good too see them celebrating at the end - a bit of spirit about the group. 

Loved the game today. I wrote a post earlier in the week and people took in umbrage with what I said.

My three best players

Luke Rathie - you were MoM today, a 9.5 out of 10, standout performer. That performance was outstanding. Imperious throughout.

Sandilands I thought was really poor in the first half and could not have been disappointed if hooked ant HT. Like all good players, dusted himself off, played much better and scored the vital goal.

Wilson - neat and tidy throughout. Never stopped running and loved you were able to meet fire with fire on the physical exchanges. Must be having nightmares over the headed miss.

A great win by the boys. The Linlithgow crowd got well behind their team and it got a bit tasty with 30mins to go. But every Jearts player stood up, didn’t take a backward step. Great win. Well done. Loved it.

Rannoch

Would agree with Shipwrecked’s analysis. Watching the wee Jambos today really brought home how playing in the Lowland league is a sound strategy with the style of play very much in the same vein as the A team. The interlinking play and team cohesion was striking. Especially in the first half, possession was dominant and but for some weak finishing, they should’ve been out of sight. So the transition should be seamless for those who do make the step up. Wilson oozed class, with a positional awareness and skill level way beyond his years. Sandilands showed strong physical prowess and determination. Thomas on the outside left made some quality runs and was unfortunate not to score. Must say quite enjoyed it and was impressed by the quality on show. Well worth seeing if you get the chance.

gasbottle2

Thanks for the analysis on the game guys. Sounds like we have some promising youngsters on the books that can hopefully make the step up when the time comes 👍🏻

Chuck Berry
20 hours ago, Rannoch said:

Would agree with Shipwrecked’s analysis. Watching the wee Jambos today really brought home how playing in the Lowland league is a sound strategy with the style of play very much in the same vein as the A team. The interlinking play and team cohesion was striking. Especially in the first half, possession was dominant and but for some weak finishing, they should’ve been out of sight. So the transition should be seamless for those who do make the step up. Wilson oozed class, with a positional awareness and skill level way beyond his years. Sandilands showed strong physical prowess and determination. Thomas on the outside left made some quality runs and was unfortunate not to score. Must say quite enjoyed it and was impressed by the quality on show. Well worth seeing if you get the chance.

They have been a good watch all season. Yesterday's game was a good example of what playing in the Lowland League brings in terms of development, against a good adult semi-pro side and in front of decent crowd. Over 700 there yesterday and as always, the home support were moaning. Games like that, Bo'ness, Albion Rovers & Cowdenbeath away helps to "toughen them up" as they used to say in the auld days.

15 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

They have been a good watch all season. Yesterday's game was a good example of what playing in the Lowland League brings in terms of development, against a good adult semi-pro side and in front of decent crowd. Over 700 there yesterday and as always, the home support were moaning. Games like that, Bo'ness, Albion Rovers & Cowdenbeath away helps to "toughen them up" as they used to say in the auld days.

My two favourite moments on Sat typifies what you say, and came from the 2 youngest players on the pitch

1) Gus Stevenson getting stick from the crowd all game. I think we knew he was getting subbed in a few minutes. There was a few strammies with their right wing, the second of which both players ended on the floor. The crowd are baying for blood but Stevenson gets up and while ref and lino looking the other way he nonchalantly gives the crowd the middle finger. This easily produced the loudest noise of the afternoon. Stevenson then gets subbed, and still has the intelligence / swagger to saunter from the other side of the pitch, stopping half way to take out his shin guards. Another huge roar from the home crowd breaks out. It was brilliant. For dramatic effect I think he just needed a wee wave.

2) Wilson had been moved moved wide right in the second half. Almost immediately the Linlithgow player had go, then a few minutes later raked his studs down the back of his legs causing everyone in the crowd to see blood on leg and sock. In the third incident the LB kicked out while both on the ground, this time the ref saw this and had words with both players. The Linlithgow player seemingly was incensed. What I had not seen but was later told Wilson caught the player a beauty on the mouth with his elbow while pplay moved upfield and ref and lino looking the other way.

I don't condone bad behaviour but the Hearts B Team, even the younger players, are quite happy to mix it up. The lowland league has been brilliant for Hearts B. Great to watch a game with no VAR.

Chuck Berry
1 hour ago, Prehen said:

My two favourite moments on Sat typifies what you say, and came from the 2 youngest players on the pitch

1) Gus Stevenson getting stick from the crowd all game. I think we knew he was getting subbed in a few minutes. There was a few strammies with their right wing, the second of which both players ended on the floor. The crowd are baying for blood but Stevenson gets up and while ref and lino looking the other way he nonchalantly gives the crowd the middle finger. This easily produced the loudest noise of the afternoon. Stevenson then gets subbed, and still has the intelligence / swagger to saunter from the other side of the pitch, stopping half way to take out his shin guards. Another huge roar from the home crowd breaks out. It was brilliant. For dramatic effect I think he just needed a wee wave.

2) Wilson had been moved moved wide right in the second half. Almost immediately the Linlithgow player had go, then a few minutes later raked his studs down the back of his legs causing everyone in the crowd to see blood on leg and sock. In the third incident the LB kicked out while both on the ground, this time the ref saw this and had words with both players. The Linlithgow player seemingly was incensed. What I had not seen but was later told Wilson caught the player a beauty on the mouth with his elbow while pplay moved upfield and ref and lino looking the other way.

I don't condone bad behaviour but the Hearts B Team, even the younger players, are quite happy to mix it up. The lowland league has been brilliant for Hearts B. Great to watch a game with no VAR.

Aye the Stevenson stuff was great. As I said at the game, it was good to see a bit of shithousery from someone so young, handled it all well and was taking the pish.

The number 3 should have been sent-off for his kick-out at Wilson but the linesman shat it, he saw it, although I didn't clearly see Wilson's flailing arm. But again, he handled the rough house tactics very well.

You don't get any of this stuff in U18/U20 football.  Highlights again why there needs to be a long-term solution to what we do with B / Reserve football.  Quite possibly the B team could be kicked out the Lowland League in 3 seasons time with nowhere to go, the current Reserve league is just a farce really, a glorified U20 league that plays half the amount of games.   

Chuck Berry
8 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Mak Kirk new 2 year deal.

Great to see, well done Mak.

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, Prehen said:

Can't remember who it was that said it about the youngsters, but when asked about any concerns with them coming into the first team they said no, they've been playing in a physical league where the challenge is different every week. They're playing against men who are trying to do them, they'll be fine in the first team environment.

jamboinglasgow
11 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Can't remember who it was that said it about the youngsters, but when asked about any concerns with them coming into the first team they said no, they've been playing in a physical league where the challenge is different every week. They're playing against men who are trying to do them, they'll be fine in the first team environment.

I remember seeing Naismith talk about it (think it was at the coaches Q&A.) Where he explained why he likes the Lowland League for the development of the youngsters (though in an ideal world he would want them in League One) and he talked about players are learning quickly that things that would be a foul in U18 or youth football is not a foul in senior football. So requires you to change your mindset.

Jarhead
On 16/03/2024 at 19:23, Shipwrecked said:

I was in Dingwall on Saturday but Linlithgow away would have been a fixture I would have liked to have gone to. 
I would encourage people to take in the B team games. The standard is better than it is given credit for. Very little hoofball on show. 

RustyRightPeg
46 minutes ago, Jarhead said:

I was in Dingwall on Saturday but Linlithgow away would have been a fixture I would have liked to have gone to. 
I would encourage people to take in the B team games. The standard is better than it is given credit for. Very little hoofball on show. 

Lowland League on the whole is like that. Played in it during it's infancy, before the Junior teams made the switch and it was good then, has only gone and improved since. There's a fair amount of money in it now.

TheBigO
5 hours ago, Prehen said:

So happy to hear this mate - thanks for posting

THIS is why B team is so so important.  Exactly this.  A reserve league or u18/21s or whatever they can work on technique, phases, shape etc.  But truth is for years we've been bringing through very talented boys who are learning how to ACTUALLY play a game of football once they're in the first team.  

I favour the B team setup over anything else the more I think about it.  Would love them to have a setup where they can make it up to 3rd or 4th tier.

Yes it is slightly elitist as only certain teams can have one, but at the end of the day, any setup is and we need our biggest clubs to lead in producing the bulk of our best players in the country.  You also get the effect of these clubs producing good pros who the rest of the pyramid can take on if they don't quite cut top 3/4 club level.

Footballfirst

A couple of LL games tonight surprisingly went the way of the lower ranked sides and ended the lingering title prospects of the losers.

Tranent 3-4 East Stirlingshire

Albion Rovers 1-0 Cumbernauld Colts

It leaves only Hearts B and Bo'ness capable of catching East Kilbride, who only need 4 points from their remaining 5 games to top the table.

The top 4 (non B Teams) also qualify for next season's SPFL Trust Trophy (Challenge Cup).  

Chuck Berry

Bobby McLuckie called upto the U19's for Scotland's Elite qualifiers in Italy which start today.

Mikey1874
2 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Bobby McLuckie called upto the U19's for Scotland's Elite qualifiers in Italy which start today.

Our guys on the bench. Live game link below.

RustyRightPeg
8 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Our guys on the bench. Live game link below.

Woody Williamson is a fantastic name.

Footballfirst

Scotland U19s lost 1-3 to Italy. Macaulay Tait came on in the 90th minute for Lennon Miller.

FionaHmfc
7 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Scotland U19s lost 1-3 to Italy. Macaulay Tait came on in the 90th minute for Lennon Miller.

A very talented midfield at that level for Scotland. Miller and Watson 2 very impressive young boys.