B Team 2023/24

Footballfirst

Kalamazoo Jambo
4 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Bo'ness' first goal from the free kick. Great strike.

Seems like we could have done better with our wall but a great strike.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Footballfirst

• Chuck Berry

• Prehen

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mikey1874

Ĺuke Rankin, aged 19 who scored a hatrick last week for East Stirlingshire scored 4 against Celtic B yesterday. 22 goals in 24 games.

Footballfirst
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, iain ferguson said:

Any updates on the U16s CAS cup game?

Hearts 8 (eight) Rangers 0

The score was a fair reflection of the game.

They will play Aberdeen in the final who beat Kilmarnock 4-1 this afternoon.

Edited by Footballfirst

Footballfirst

Earlier this morning the U14s also played Rangers in their CAS Cup semi final at the Rangers Training Centre.  I'm pleased to confirm that they completed a perfect weekend for all Hearts teams with a 5-0 win.  They will play Hamilton in the final who beat Celtic 2-0 this afternoon.

I think some Rangers Academy coaches could be looking for a new job very soon

leipzig76
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Whaaaaaaat ??? :tt1:

Niemi’s gloves
52 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Ĺuke Rankin, aged 19 who scored a hatrick last week for East Stirlingshire scored 4 against Celtic B yesterday. 22 goals in 24 games.

Appears to be on loan from Alloa, having earlier been at Falkirk at U 18 level. With his birthday very late in the year (27 Nov 2004) he may be an example of a player who has suffered in earlier years by being judged against players of the “same” age who are actually almost a year older than him. 

Niemi’s gloves
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Earlier this morning the U14s also played Rangers in their CAS Cup semi final at the Rangers Training Centre.  I'm pleased to confirm that they completed a perfect weekend for all Hearts teams with a 5-0 win.  They will play Hamilton in the final who beat Celtic 2-0 this afternoon.

Brilliant

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, leipzig76 said:

Whaaaaaaat ??? :tt1:

Yup.  Totally outplayed them, seven different scorers, a Panenka penalty to boot.

iain ferguson
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Thanks for the update FF and great credit to the boys. Looks like the Academy continues to improve.

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, iain ferguson said:

Thanks for the update FF and great credit to the boys. Looks like the Academy continues to improve.

The 2008's (U16s) and 2010s (U14s) are Hearts strongest age groups, with the 2009s not far behind.  Indeed the Hearts U16s finished with 5 x 2009s on the park for the last 20 mins or so.

The 2009s, didn't make the semis this year as the SFA made it a dual age band with U15s from the "elite" clubs facing U16s from the "performance" tier.  All 4 semi finalists came from the U16 sides (Ayr, Dundee, St Johnstone and Partick). A year's physical and mental development at that age group clearly makes a difference. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
30 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Nice. What a great weekend of results :cheers:

Chuck Berry
5 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

They will play Aberdeen in the final who beat Kilmarnock 4-1 this afternoon.

:robbo:

Saw a post on another thread noting Wilson needs to be loaned out next year. I thought this was horse sh#t. Got me thinking on loan deals, it depends on the individual. But broadly:

16yr old - first time pro starting out, suspect expectation is they take  6 months to settle in and hopefully play u18 football. Some better ones might play B Team, and indeed nail a starting berth if top notch. On exceptional circumstances, first team minutes might happen. Loan deal not even a consideration.

17yr old - second year pro, those struggling will know they are getting realised by the end of the year. Those playing minutes in 18s and B Team will get a new deal. Those nailed down in B Team might get first team training. The elite might get first team bench/squad and 0-5 appearances for some mins as sub. Loan deal again not a development consideration as still too young.

18yr old - life as a young pro footballer now gets interesting. Development now likely separates for defensive and attacking players. Attackers likely have an ability to break through quicker as technique and movement more important than the physicality of a defender. Need to be B Team starter and better ones now training with first team. Any elite might now be with first team full time, possibly using B Team for minutes on rare occasions. Loan deal might be an option.

19 year old - Another year when contract negotiations rear their head again. As above, but loan deal now a very serious consideration for a players development, especially those when decisions have not been confirmed or where specific development is identified and first team minutes offered elsewhere. Many will leave to pastures new.

Bongo 1874

Finding a club that will play a similar style,but also Gurantee game time might be a struggle.

Airdrie is one i would look at.

Jambo senior

Also issue over European league changes next season.    These older lads will be needed as homegrown players and not eligible if out on loan.     Is the set up not expanded for next season with a lot more games 

Mikey1874

Although goal difference already meant Hearts B were 2nd it's confirmed tonight absolutely with Bo'ness drawing at Broomhill. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
17 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Although goal difference already meant Hearts B were 2nd it's confirmed tonight absolutely with Bo'ness drawing at Broomhill. 

Great stuff, don’t think many people were expecting that at the start of the season.

copied this over from the poy thread??

what’s everyone’s thought?

On 15/04/2024 at 19:49,  FIGJAM said: 

Luke Rathie, Callum Sandilands, Liam McFarlane or Adam Forrester for B Team player of the season. Kirk would have walked it but went on loan. Can't be anyone else. Thoughts?

Totally agree

any of the 4 would be a worthy winner. The b team this year has been very impressive with some real talent on show!!!  

Jambo senior

Sandilands , McFarlane. Rathie , Forrester in that order.    Special mentions to Kenzie nair who had brilliant first half to season before injury,   Dryesdale who has looked good in flashes and Kirky as you mention .   

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

An incredible season in many ways .

gorgierulesapply88
On 14/04/2024 at 17:16, Footballfirst said:

It is known, that Aberdeen Hearts & Kilmarnock youth teams are currently better than the old firm for whatever reason.

soonbe110
7 hours ago, Jambo senior said:

Sandilands , McFarlane. Rathie , Forrester in that order.    Special mentions to Kenzie nair who had brilliant first half to season before injury,   Dryesdale who has looked good in flashes and Kirky as you mention .   

Haven’t watched them this season so confused - no Wilson mentioned yet of all the names mentioned he is the only one that is a regular in the first team squad?  He is also probably younger than most named? 

59 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Haven’t watched them this season so confused - no Wilson mentioned yet of all the names mentioned he is the only one that is a regular in the first team squad?  He is also probably younger than most named? 

I didn't consider him as didn't play first 10 games as away with first team, and also felt he has been with first team a fair bit since Jan. While he might be the best / one of the top players, can't be considered as not played enough minutes for B Team. Others more deserving who have played literally every game. That was my thought anyway.

Jambo senior

Wilson had very good last 2 months with b team but was playing wide earlier in the season and in / out team whilst spending time with the first team and also with the 18’s.     Has grown into his role very similar to the other lads I mentioned did last season.   Would expect James to be a very very big player next season 

soonbe110
19 minutes ago, FIGJAM said:

I didn't consider him as didn't play first 10 games as away with first team, and also felt he has been with first team a fair bit since Jan. While he might be the best / one of the top players, can't be considered as not played enough minutes for B Team. Others more deserving who have played literally every game. That was my thought anyway.

👍

RustyRightPeg
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

He's only really started playing centrally since Kirk went to Hamilton. He's had a great second half to the season. 

SeaOfMaroon

Do we expect any minutes for these guys in the first team before end of season? If we don't lose to Killie we have 4 games essentially with nothing riding on them, particularly if we lost in the semi.

33 minutes ago, SeaOfMaroon said:

Do we expect any minutes for these guys in the first team before end of season? If we don't lose to Killie we have 4 games essentially with nothing riding on them, particularly if we lost in the semi.

I expect a really strong B Team to take the field on Fri night against Celtic. I hope Pollock gets a run out (Tait can't play), as to me that will be a big sign that he is being prepared for mins to the end of the season. Others who have been on the bench before might get mins too. Naisy has a method, multiple benches to get used to environment, followed by some minutes. I don't see that changing. If you follow that approach, Wilson might get minutes, followed by Sandilands and McLuckie. The point you make is a good one, it is an opportunity to blood some of the boys.

Chuck Berry
10 hours ago, Jambo senior said:

I'd go along with that. Callum Sandilands for me, played almost every game and does a power of work in the middle of the park and weighed in with 16 goals.  McFarlane has also improved greatly since the start of the season, and McLuckie has been unplayable at times.

Edited by Chuck Berry

Jambo senior
6 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

I'd go along with that. Callum Sandilands for me, played almost every game and does a power of work in the middle of the park and weighed in with 16 goals.  McFarlane has also improved greatly since the start of the season, and McLuckie has been unplayable at times.

Spoke to jamboyouth last week who advised Sandilands has played every game this season missing 53 mins when been substituted 

Chuck Berry
2 hours ago, Jambo senior said:

Spoke to jamboyouth last week who advised Sandilands has played every game this season missing 53 mins when been substituted 

Wow, well there you go. POTY for me.

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Chuck Berry said:

Wow, well there you go. POTY for me.

Was discussing that with a mate last week. There is no out and out certainty.

Kirk would have been a stick-on had he played the full season and continued his scoring form.  Rathie held the defence together until his injury.  McFarlane has made critical saves in several games, but has still conceded quite a few goals. Forrester has been Mr Consistent but has maybe shaded a bit in recent weeks.  McLuckie has gone between exceptional and anonymous.  Wilson has made a good start to his B Team stint, although wasn't first choice earlier in the season. That only leaves Sandilands with his goals and assists tally which is likely to put him ahead of the rest.

Mikey1874

A real team effort this season. Played as a team and everyone contributed. Not a big surprise then it's hard to pick out individuals.

First half of season I'd have said Sandilands but as the season went on it was less about individuals.

Edited by Mikey1874

Chuck Berry

Final game of a successful season tonight away to Celtic B at Airdrie.  KO. 7.45pm

Killinman
1 hour ago, Chuck Berry said:

Final game of a successful season tonight away to Celtic B at Airdrie.  KO. 7.45pm

I'll be going along to give the lads a shout. Lets hope they can do the double over Celtic and make it it 9 wins in a row. I have enjoyed the games I've watched them play this season bar the Cowdenbeath game at home when they were second best. They are very well coached by Liam Fox and work so hard for each other. Great season either way. 

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

Pollock starting tonight.

He went off after 38 minutes, hopefully not for an injury and if it is just a precaution. 

Niemi’s gloves
5 minutes ago, stuart500 said:

2-1 

Scored by McLuckie, set up by Wilson. Wilson subbed after 60m (all as reported by Hearts b Twitter). Presumably Wilson is set to be in the squad + back-ups for Hampden.

Gorgierools
39 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

He went off after 38 minutes, hopefully not for an injury and if it is just a precaution. 

Hope not. That kid has had no luck with injuries.

stuart500

Lost 2-1 . 

Shame but been a great season and team sometimes chopped and changed for the greater good of the players development and first team requirements .

Gorgierools

Well done the wee Jambos. Boys against men for most of the season but the boys came out on top. 

Chuck Berry

Poor first half. Had our fair share of possession but didn't do a lot with it in contrast to Celtic who took their chances and it could have been more. Better second half and once McLuckie got one back we pushed for the equaliser which didn't come. A fair result in the end. 

Pollock off with an ankle injury. Went down, got treatment, came back on for 5 mins but was struggling and was subbed. Wilson off on 60 mins probably due to Sunday.