B Team 2023/24

Footballfirst

Chuck Berry
42 minutes ago, Cambo_Jambo said:

Other than their own ambitions, which I totally understand and support, I'm not that fussed about our B team players not getting Scotland caps.

It's patently obviouse that you don't get any sort of beneficial coaching boost or anything so they're probably better being round our coaching team and playing 1st team football at a suitable level.

Not sure the Brains Trust of Gemmill and Stark will add much of anything.

Going away with Scotland's isn't about being coached, you don't need coached, it's about experiencing playing with different players, a different style, against foreign opposition. It's about being in a different environment with your peers and seeing if you cope and step up.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Footballfirst

• Chuck Berry

• Niemi’s gloves

17 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Going away with Scotland's isn't about being coached, you don't need coached, it's about experiencing playing with different players, a different style, against foreign opposition. It's about being in a different environment with your peers and seeing if you cope and step up.

It’s good for their own profile as well especially if they were to qualify for a tournament and play well, which in turn boosts their value.

Bottom line is our academy needs to produce sellable assets for it to be working at full efficiency - Hibs/Aberdeen’s academies bringing through players that have been sold on are basically what’s allowed them to spend on a par with us.

Mikey1874
48 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

And James Wilson has been with Scotland age groups for a while now. Captain of U17s. Scored virtually every game he's played U16 and U17. Doubt its making his career worse. 

Footballfirst
58 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

And James Wilson has been with Scotland age groups for a while now. Captain of U17s. Scored virtually every game he's played U16 and U17. Doubt its making his career worse. 

Still looks a bit young though 😂

13 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Still looks a bit young though 😂

Was that taken at his debut v Spartans?? The Spartans centre back could do with eating some spuds too.

Footballfirst

I believe the U18s have a friendly against Carlisle Utd at the Oriam this afternoon, with a 3pm k.o.

Footballfirst
7 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I believe the U18s have a friendly against Carlisle Utd at the Oriam this afternoon, with a 3pm k.o.

The U18s won 6-2 with goals from Sanders, Robb (2), Ratcliffe (pen), A Walker and Crookston.

Hearts played with almost a different line up for each half (9 subs), made up of composite squads from U15/U16/U17/U18

Mikey1874
35 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The U18s won 6-2 with goals from Sanders, Robb (2), Ratcliffe (pen), A Walker and Crookston.

Hearts played with almost a different line up for each half (9 subs), made up of composite squads from U15/U16/U17/U18

Chuck Berry

If anyone is at a loose end and in the vicinity of Strathclyde Country Park, then get along and watch the B team.

Disappointing result today. Decent game and Braves likely deserved the result. Hearts only came alive once 2-0 down. Sadly a few players not turned up for 2 weeks. Very hard to win any game when midfield is so poor. 

Mikey1874

4 defeats in a row but it is what it is.

Mackenzie Kirk on as 86th minute sub in Hamilton defeat.

The Treasurer
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Kirk doesn't seem to be getting the game time I'm sure the club were hoping for so far 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

It is disappointing for the B Team to fall into what is becoming a slump, but it was always possible after losing the spine of the team in their first choice centre back, midfielder and striker.

I think Kirk's 4 appearances (all as sub) for Hamilton have been in 89', 86', 89' and 86'.  It's not likely to enhance his chances of getting an extended contract at Hearts, or a transfer to Hamilton for that matter.

Sleepy head
6 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

It is disappointing for the B Team to fall into what is becoming a slump, but it was always possible after losing the spine of the team in their first choice centre back, midfielder and striker.

I think Kirk's 4 appearances (all as sub) for Hamilton have been in 89', 86', 89' and 86'.  It's not likely to enhance his chances of getting an extended contract at Hearts, or a transfer to Hamilton for that matter.

These four sub appearances (10 minutes) are all game management substitutions. Where is the development there?

Chuck Berry

They've been out of sorts since Kirk left on loan and Tait went upstairs. Is Kenzi Nair injured?

Disappointed at Kirk's opportunities at Hamilton so far.

Edited by Chuck Berry

There are a number of players who are seriously struggling. But the positives - I thought all the subs did really well when coming on. Pollock was clearly only allowed 60mins, and Ross continued to provide the threat down the right. I thought Thomas and Stevenson provided an impact as subs, and even more so for Smutek and Smith. Kai and Lucas looked good and can be very satisfied with their afternoon.

I felt sorry for McCluckie, Sandilands and Wilson today. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Roasters that suggested we throw Kirk into the first team. Hamilton situation doesn't lend itself to minutes either 

Footballfirst
6 minutes ago, FIGJAM said:

There are a number of players who are seriously struggling. But the positives - I thought all the subs did really well when coming on. Pollock was clearly only allowed 60mins, and Ross continued to provide the threat down the right. I thought Thomas and Stevenson provided an impact as subs, and even more so for Smutek and Smith. Kai and Lucas looked good and can be very satisfied with their afternoon.

I felt sorry for McCluckie, Sandilands and Wilson today. 

The next couple of months are going to be very important for those who are out of contract at the end of the season, both for those playing with the B Team and with the U18s.  Those who are too old (2004s) for the B team next season include Gordon, Flatman, Dall, Thomas and Kirk. To the best of my knowledge the only ones with contracts are Pollock and McFarlane.

You then look at those who will be too old for U18s (2006s). How many of then are good enough for the B Team.  Some have already played up several times like McLuckie, Nair, and Ross, while others have had the odd appearance, Smutek, Friel, Crookston, Chisholm and now Smith.  Will they all be kept on? What about the other 2006s, Walker and Anderson?

I think we will end up with a generally younger B Team next season, with a number of the 2007s and even a few 2008s pushing for a regular place.

A very out of sorts performance today from the wee jambos!!! Rathie and Thompson not looking comfortable playing together!!  The midfield 3 second to almost every second ball. When they did get forward the final ball from Mcluckie and Forrester was poor! But in saying all that they could have quite easily came out of the game with something, 2 or 3 very good chances went a begging!! Hoping to see a bit more from Wilson as they definitely miss the work rate of Kirky. Plus point some superb saves from Liam and while not his best game Pollock looks so dangerous when he’s running at the defence.

Footballfirst

I would expect next season's first choice line-up to be something like the following (assuming no-one leaves).

McFarlane

Forrester, Rathie, Nair, Drysdale

Sandilands Duncan Stevenson

Ross, Wilson, McLuckie

1 hour ago, Jonbo said:

A very out of sorts performance today from the wee jambos!!! Rathie and Thompson not looking comfortable playing together!!  The midfield 3 second to almost every second ball. When they did get forward the final ball from Mcluckie and Forrester was poor! But in saying all that they could have quite easily came out of the game with something, 2 or 3 very good chances went a begging!! Hoping to see a bit more from Wilson as they definitely miss the work rate of Kirky. Plus point some superb saves from Liam and while not his best game Pollock looks so dangerous when he’s running at the defence.

It’s strange, I see it the other way. I think Kirk is the ultimate striker and scores the chance Wilson misses around 70min mark. However, Wilson offers more off the ball running than Kirk ever did. Agree on Pollock. Have loved watching him the last 2 weeks.

23 minutes ago, FIGJAM said:

It’s strange, I see it the other way. I think Kirk is the ultimate striker and scores the chance Wilson misses around 70min mark. However, Wilson offers more off the ball running than Kirk ever did. Agree on Pollock. Have loved watching him the last 2 weeks.

thats what’s great about football everyone has there own personal opinion on how they think things should be!!

but personally i think it a strikers job to get on the end of things!! Wilson for me spends to much time coming deep and is not back in the box to finish things off when the ball gets in the box!!!! Which does link up play, but I don’t see that extra effort to get himself back into the box!! And it sometimes limits the options of the midfielders!
Kirk was very similar last season but this year not so much as he came alive when the ball was flashed across the box! 

Footballfirst

Having watched James Wilson throughout his time at the academy, I don't think that he is an out and out striker. He is much better as a number 10 either coming short to link up play or running in behind the striker. His goal scoring with the U18s was usually in tandem with Mackenzie Ross as striker. I think that current U16 striker Callen Robb looks like a good prospect for the future striker role in a year or two.  

Chuck Berry
12 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Having watched James Wilson throughout his time at the academy, I don't think that he is an out and out striker. He is much better as a number 10 either coming short to link up play or running in behind the striker. His goal scoring with the U18s was usually in tandem with Mackenzie Ross as striker. I think that current U16 striker Callen Robb looks like a good prospect for the future striker role in a year or two.  

Agree, Wilson isn't a centre forward like Kirk although he can play there.  As you say, linking play and running beyond the striker look best suited to his game.  Several times yesterday he dropped very deep to take the ball off the defence, fed it into midfield, then made the run forward.

Chuck Berry
16 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I would expect next season's first choice line-up to be something like the following (assuming no-one leaves).

McFarlane

Forrester, Rathie, Nair, Drysdale

Sandilands Duncan Stevenson

Ross, Wilson, McLuckie

Lucas Smith came off the bench yesterday and will get his chance byt the sounds of it.

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/blogs/news/lucas-smith-signs-pro-deal

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, Chuck Berry said:

Lucas Smith came off the bench yesterday and will get his chance byt the sounds of it.

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/blogs/news/lucas-smith-signs-pro-deal

Hearts B has also given a game to Louis Selfridge at left back and will also have the promising U16 left back Josh Radcliffe available. However I do think Lucas has done enough to get an extended contract.

Mikey1874

Makes sense to play younger players in the Lowland League. Help the older players move on and get a better chance of a career. Noting Naismith saying it isn't a good enough level too. It is a big tricky playing 16 year olds against adults but we've already done that. 

On 01/02/2024 at 06:51, TheBigO said:

Yep thats the one. Apparently tore hibs apart last weak.

@TheBigO@Footballfirst The u16s playing England tomorrow. Mathie likely Hearts best player at that year group and yet not close to making the squad. Once this boy learns to pass and play it simple, he will go places. He still plays like Roy of the Rovers, and on multiple occasions each game beat two or three in a mazy run. If only he could take his own advice when he does not have the ball, as forever telling his team mates to play the simple pass. Struggles just now from a coachability perspective but here's hoping the penny drops soon. There is no one lives for football like this boy. No one comes close.

Footballfirst
30 minutes ago, FIGJAM said:

@TheBigO@Footballfirst The u16s playing England tomorrow. Mathie likely Hearts best player at that year group and yet not close to making the squad. Once this boy learns to pass and play it simple, he will go places. He still plays like Roy of the Rovers, and on multiple occasions each game beat two or three in a mazy run. If only he could take his own advice when he does not have the ball, as forever telling his team mates to play the simple pass. Struggles just now from a coachability perspective but here's hoping the penny drops soon. There is no one lives for football like this boy. No one comes close.

It's the U15s v England.  Hearts have Alfie Hutchison and Liam Walker in the squad (although Alfie may be injured as I haven't seen him for two or three weeks).  Others who could/should be considered are obviously Jayden, the Wilson twins, Connor Dow and Sam Dickov.

The U19s also play Latvia in Croatia tomorrow, fresh from a 1-0 defeat against Turkey on Tuesday. McLuckie, Friel and Wilson were all on the bench (don't know if they got on).  It's questionable if they will be back in time to be considered for the B Team's visit to Tranent on Saturday.

Edited by Footballfirst

1 hour ago, Footballfirst said:

It's the U15s v England.  Hearts have Alfie Hutchison and Liam Walker in the squad (although Alfie may be injured as I haven't seen him for two or three weeks).  Others who could/should be considered are obviously Jayden, the Wilson twins, Connor Dow and Sam Dickov.

The U19s also play Latvia in Croatia tomorrow, fresh from a 1-0 defeat against Turkey on Tuesday. McLuckie, Friel and Wilson were all on the bench (don't know if they got on).  It's questionable if they will be back in time to be considered for the B Team's visit to Tranent on Saturday.

Been told the McNeil lad from Hibs very good too and not been quoted.  Think same age group

Mikey1874
On 15/02/2024 at 15:06, Footballfirst said:

Friel and McLuckie start. Wilson on bench.

20240216_153325.jpg

Edited by Mikey1874

jamboinglasgow

Interesting to see 15 year old Lyndon Tas training with the first team, turns 16 in June.

He has been a regular for the U18s, so wonder if the plan could be next season that he gets promoted to be the B team keeper and McFarlane goes out on loan for a season (like Stone is at the moment.)

Footballfirst
13 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Scotland 1-0 vs Latvia after 20 minutes - no ideaa who scored

Went 2-0 up after 26 minutes.

10 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Went 2-0 up after 26 minutes.

3 - 0 now just before half time.

scott herbertson

For the under 19s Alfie Bavidge (Aberdeen) got a first half hattrick.  On loan to Kelty Hearts atm

Edited by scott herbertson

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Interesting to see 15 year old Lyndon Tas training with the first team, turns 16 in June.

He has been a regular for the U18s, so wonder if the plan could be next season that he gets promoted to be the B team keeper and McFarlane goes out on loan for a season (like Stone is at the moment.)

I think the first thing we need to do is get Tas signed up on a pro contract when he turns 16. I think he has in the past trained with England age group squads (he seems to be eligible for both Scotland and England), so I’d guess there are Academies down south that are tracking his progress. 

Footballfirst
25 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

3 - 0 now just before half time.

Alfie Bavidge hat trick

A very impressive performance from the young jambos today, who made a decent Tranent team look pretty average!

From back to front the work rate and desire was evident, mixed with some quality but of play. The lads were worthy of their victory, standouts today for me could of quite easily been the whole team, but a mention for Rathie who was an absolute rock at the back beside Kai Smutek, Gus Stevenson in the middle of the park just never stopped all game. Sandilands always looked dangerous. Good to see the losing run come to an end, sets the boys up nicely for next Friday at home to East Kilbride.

The Treasurer
53 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Mackenzie Kirk unused sub for Hamilton in defeat to league leaders Falkirk today. 

Can we recall him from this loan deal as he is getting next to nothing in minutes on the pitch 

Chuck Berry

Kirk's move is turning into a bad one sadly. Sitting on the bench 98% of the time does him no good.

Footballfirst

Good to see the youngest of Hearts CAS squads getting the opportunity to play in tournaments like this.  Hearts do have some talent within that age group. 

I watched the U13s play very competitive games against Celtic at the Oriam this morning (2 x 9 a side games 20mins each way in parallel, then the same again with the squads swapped). 

In the first pair of games Celtic won 2-0 and Hearts won the other 2-1.  In the second pair, Celtic had a 2-1 win and Hearts finished with a 5-1 win.  I'll claim an 8-6 aggregate win for Hearts. 😍