B Team 2023/24

Footballfirst

John Findlay
On 02/03/2024 at 20:05, Footballfirst said:

Lost 2-3 to Aberdeen after being 2-0 up (Gray, Kellock) and cruising at half time. On good chances they should have been about 6-2 up.

Aberdeen got back into it with a worldie strike into the top corner from 30 yards, then Hearts conceded from two poorly defended set pieces, the first a free kick that was "passed" into the box and found its way into the corner of the net, then failed to clear a corner at 1st, 2nd and 3rd balls for the winner.

Hearts were without four of their highest rated players at that age group, either playing up or injured. (Hutchison, Mathie, Walker, Dow). They also started two U14s and had another on the bench. That combination meant that they had some unusual positional changes.  Generally played well going forward, but looked suspect to the odd bombscare moment at the back.

Liam Walker suffered a broken ankle last weekend (a double break according to one source). He's had an operation on it and is recovering at home.  I don't know the likely recovery period though. 

Ouch, having broken my left ankle aged 15, many years ago. I can truthfully say it is agony. Back then I was in a stookie for 8 weeks, then it was a further 3 months before I felt right with it.

Liam, I hope you fully recover and can get playing again.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Footballfirst

• Chuck Berry

• Niemi’s gloves

Mikey1874
1 hour ago, Smithian said:

Tough for Kirk. Still time for this experience to improve, but not ideal. I wonder if Hearts expected him to be playing more or if they looked at this as a way for him to push himself as part of a first team setup.

Hearts didn't know Hamilton were going to sign this guy brought in on loan 1 February 

Smithian
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Hearts didn't know Hamilton were going to sign this guy brought in on loan 1 February 

Ah, that is not a great look for Hamilton. It isn't their duty to value loan development over winning, but it doesn't mean Hearts can't be frustrated.

Hamilton makes sense for Hearts to work with on loans. They're tinpot and desperately need loan talent, and Rankin spent time at Tynecastle. I really thought Kirk made sense there, a year after Connor Smith had a solid stretch. I was cheering for to get up to the Championship and become an even better spot for a Hearts loanee or two. But if they went and grabbed another loanee after taking on Kirk, Hearts may think twice next time.

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Smithian said:

Ah, that is not a great look for Hamilton. It isn't their duty to value loan development over winning, but it doesn't mean Hearts can't be frustrated.

Hamilton makes sense for Hearts to work with on loans. They're tinpot and desperately need loan talent, and Rankin spent time at Tynecastle. I really thought Kirk made sense there, a year after Connor Smith had a solid stretch. I was cheering for to get up to the Championship and become an even better spot for a Hearts loanee or two. But if they went and grabbed another loanee after taking on Kirk, Hearts may think twice next time.

I suspect Hearts had good talks with Hamilton about Kirk and making sure that they are a club who will give him game time. They probably just said what we wanted to hear as they want the numbers in the squad, then saw another striker available who is of a higher level and took them as well. As far as Hamilton are concerned all that matters is they get promoted, the more strikers they have the better.

But I do agree that longer term Hearts may feel annoyed and be more reluctant to move loan players to them.

Heart&soul

Neilson and Denholm both called up to the Scotland U21s. We seem to be calling up players from a wide array of clubs these days, good to see 2 of our own involved. 

Chuck Berry

Albion Rovers at Ainslie tomorrow night, and Rovers have issued a warning to their Ultras over behaviour, could be interesting!

lost in space
30 minutes ago, Chuck Berry said:

Albion Rovers at Ainslie tomorrow night, and Rovers have issued a warning to their Ultras over behaviour, could be interesting!

Well, I hope they both behave themselves.

Chuck Berry
10 hours ago, lost in space said:

Well, I hope they both behave themselves.

They'll probably bring more than Livvy.

10 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Saw that last night. I do love a Friday night under the lights at Ainslie Park. Hopefully the B Team can put a few past them tonight. From memory they've got an old slow guy at the back. Hopefully are whipper snappers get pop the ball about and put on a show.

RustyRightPeg

Ryan Duncan signed on until 2025, with a further year included.

Well done young man.

Edited by RustyRightPeg

jamboinglasgow

1-0 Hearts, McLuckie scores. 

No sign of a team sheet yet.

15 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

1-0 Hearts, McLuckie scores. 

No sign of a team sheet yet.

Is it?  I missed it 😔. He hit the crossbar.   Didn't see a goal. 

Footballfirst

Pretty poor first half TBH.

I don't know if the early goal made them complacent, but they haven't shown much in the way of control. Rovers have had at least as many chances as Hearts but their finishing has been poor, bar one effort that McFarlane pushed round the post.

AppleTarts
Just now, Footballfirst said:

Pretty poor first half TBH.

I don't know if the early goal made them complacent, but they haven't shown much in the way of control. Rovers have had at least as many chances as Hearts but their finishing has been poor, bar one effort that McFarlane pushed round the post.

What's the line-up? Nothing online but based on twitter updates, seems to be:

MacFarlane

? - ? - Thompson - Dall

? - ?

Thomas - Sandilands - McLuckie

Wilson

Guessing Forrester, Rathie, Gordon and Duncan as well?

jamboinglasgow

1-1 - Albion Rovers equalise from the penalty spot. Forrester booked.

Lucas Smith has come on for Lennon Thompson

Footballfirst
Posted (edited)

The second half was very much a repeat of the first with little football being played. Rovers stuck to playing long balls up to the 6' 6" striker and hoping to profit from 2nd balls.  Hearts had no-one to put their foot on the ball, although the introduction of a couple of the subs helped (Duncan and Ross).

There were three penalties awarded, none of which should have been given. First a Rovers player kicked the back of Sandilands leg, went down, pen to AR. 1-1.  Then Hearts got a soft one for a push in the back. Wilson had it saved by the keeper (it was his only save of the night). Harry Gordon did put Hearts back in front with a low shot from the edge of the box, before the ref decided to award AR another penalty for I don't know why.

However .............  after some protests from Hearts players, the Assistant put his flag up, the ref went over for a chat then decided to rescind the penalty then restart the game with a dropped ball to McFarlane's feet. Now I don't know of any circumstances (outside VAR), that the game should be restarted in that way.  If there was an offside, an obstruction offence or a dive, then it should have been an indirect free kick to Hearts. If there was a foul or a handball, then there should have been a direct free kick to Hearts.  It's all a mystery.

The ref was very poor throughout, taking an age to give yellow cards, set up walls for free kicks and delaying the taking of the penalties. 

It was also bloody cold.

Team

McFarlane, Smutek, Thompson (Smith), Dall

Thomas (Ross), Stevenson (Duncan), Gordon Sandilands McLuckie

Wilson.

Edited by Footballfirst

Prince Buaben
22 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The second half was very much a repeat of the first with little football being played. Rovers stuck to playing long balls up to the 6' 6" striker and hoping to profit from 2nd balls.  Hearts had no-one to put their foot on the ball, although the introduction of a couple of the subs helped (Duncan and Ross).

There were three penalties awarded, none of which should have been given. First a Rovers player kicked the back of Sandilands leg, went down, pen to AR. 1-1.  Then Hearts got a soft one for a push in the back. Wilson had it saved by the keeper (it was his only save of the night). Harry Gordon did put Hearts back in front with a low shot from the edge of the box, before the ref decided to award AR another penalty for I don't know why.

However .............  after some protests from Hearts players, the Assistant put his flag up, the ref went over for a chat then decided to rescind the penalty then restart the game with a dropped ball to McFarlane's feet. Now I don't know of any circumstances (outside VAR), that the game should be restarted in that way.  If there was an offside, an obstruction offence or a dive, then it should have been an indirect free kick to Hearts. If there was a foul or a handball, then there should have been a direct free kick to Hearts.  It's all a mystery.

The ref was very poor throughout, taking an age to give yellow cards, set up walls for free kicks and delaying the taking of the penalties. 

It was also bloody cold.

Team

Wilson.

Did you find it was a bit more policed tonight?

I had a steward stand next to where I was in the new stand and also had my bag checked for the first time entering a lowland league game (Hearts b or others)

Footballfirst
5 minutes ago, Prince Buaben said:

Did you find it was a bit more policed tonight?

I had a steward stand next to where I was in the new stand and also had my bag checked for the first time entering a lowland league game (Hearts b or others)

Possibly a little more than previous games although not visibly so, other than maybe two or three more stewards present.  I did see a steward having a word with some of the AR teenage fans about jumping on the seats in the west stand, though.

Prince Buaben
2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Possibly a little more than previous games although not visibly so, other than maybe two or three more stewards present.  I did see a steward having a word with some of the AR teenage fans about jumping on the seats in the west stand, though.

I was just along from them. He was at them all first half. First for swearing then jumping on seats etc. Counted about 4 over in the west stand incuding the boy who stood at the top of stairs where I was the whole 90 min

Footballfirst
1 minute ago, Prince Buaben said:

I was just along from them. He was at them all first half. First for swearing then jumping on seats etc. Counted about 4 over in the west stand incuding the boy who stood at the top of stairs where I was the whole 90 min

I only sat there for the 15 mins up to half time. I was in the East stand earlier, but I had a couple of guys behind me who talked non stop about everything and anything other than the game, so decided to move somewhere a bit quieter.

Niemi’s gloves
9 minutes ago, Prince Buaben said:

Is it possible that these were stewards provided by Albion Rovers? They did issue a board statement in mid-week about the behaviour of some of their fans

https://albionroversfc.com/board-update-07-03-24/

Chuck Berry

Ref was pish, pens were poor, Rovers fans moan a lot, Harry Gordon a nice winner, we got 3 points, and it was cauld. That about sums it up.

Edited by Chuck Berry

Prince Buaben
1 hour ago, Niemi’s gloves said:

Is it possible that these were stewards provided by Albion Rovers? They did issue a board statement in mid-week about the behaviour of some of their fans

https://albionroversfc.com/board-update-07-03-24/

Maybe. That statement totally bypassed me but that makes sense. 

jambo19
9 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

It was also bloody cold.

Team

Wilson.

In a game where we had to dig deep and weren't playing a lot of possession football or scoring as many as recent weeks, how did Sandilands, McLuckie and Wilson look?

Just wondering if they adapted to the game or went hiding as I'd hope they'd get involvement in the first team soon given our lack of fit options up top 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, jambo19 said:

In a game where we had to dig deep and weren't playing a lot of possession football or scoring as many as recent weeks, how did Sandilands, McLuckie and Wilson look?

Just wondering if they adapted to the game or went hiding as I'd hope they'd get involvement in the first team soon given our lack of fit options up top 

McLuckie started the game well and had the beating of the full back, scored the early goal and hit the bar, but for some reason he saw less and less of the ball as the game progressed.

Sandilands is an odd one for me. He is not your creative midfielder per se, but has the ability to get involved in key moments in the game either scoring himself or creating chances. Last night was a case in point, when he had a few moments of excellence, but not much in between.

Wilson was very quiet and saw little of the ball, mainly down to Hearts inability to provide any supply to him.  Much of the game it was a 4-5-1 formation. I can only recall one chance being created for him that was well defended away for a corner. His penalty miss wasn't the best, not it the corner and at a good height for the keeper.

The defence was kept busy, but the midfield just failed to create very much or even hold onto the ball. 

Chuck Berry

To be fair, with Rathie and Nair both injured, it was again a makeshift CH pairing of Smutek and Thompson, then Thompson went off with a knock at HT and on came young Lucas Smith who is a full back and just back from a long term injury, I think we may also have gone three at the back.  Given the circumstances, playing our usual game was set aside for trying to protect the backline. 

Niemi’s gloves
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

20240309_184219.jpg

There’s something odd here. Hearts B are apparently now 3 points behind Cumbernauld Colts even though we were ahead of them on goal difference overnight and they drew 1-1 with Lithgae Rose today. The answer seems to be that the SLFL website has the game today as a 1-0 home win and their league table has updated accordingly. 

RustyRightPeg

Liam Fox was on the bench tonight sat beside Naisy. Anyone know why?

2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Liam Fox was on the bench tonight sat beside Naisy. Anyone know why?

No sign of Gordon Forrest. Perhaps unavailable for some reason and Fox stepped in. 

Heart&soul

B team away to Broomhill. Tonight’s team: 

C054F80F-18CA-4352-BD49-F1B5F047D7D5.jpeg

David McCaig
1 hour ago, Heart&soul said:

B team away to Broomhill. Tonight’s team: 

C054F80F-18CA-4352-BD49-F1B5F047D7D5.jpeg

Is Finlay Pollock injured again?

johnking123
4 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Is Finlay Pollock injured again?

Been in first team squad a lot

Mikey1874

Hearts up to 2nd place.

East Kilbride 2 wins away from the title and the play offs. 

Chuck Berry

The pitch at Dumbarton is the worst I have seen in 20 years, at any level.  Cow paddock gives it too much credit.  

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Chuck Berry said:

The pitch at Dumbarton is the worst I have seen in 20 years, at any level.  Cow paddock gives it too much credit.  

Cowdenbeath is dug shite like a ploughed field i think they must race the stock cars on the pitch lol.