Hearts in Europe: 23/24 : v Rosenborg - Away leg on Hearts ppv ( updated )

Waterboy

24 minutes ago, Jeff said:

Yeah, sadly all of the teams on the left are at a much higher level than us

True. But the whole thing opens up for us if the seeded team in R2 lose to the non seeded team

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• JimmyCant

• Waterboy

• Luckies1874

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

True. But the whole thing opens up for us if the seeded team in R2 lose to the non seeded team

We won't be seeded in PO round in this scenario

8 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

We won't be seeded in PO round in this scenario

It won’t matter much because the PO round draw is made before the R3 matches. Whatever way you cut it, we’ll have to beat a decent seeded team at at least one of stages to qualify for the groups but I’d rather it was just one we have to beat instead of two.

Ricardo Quaresma
17 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It won’t matter much because the PO round draw is made before the R3 matches. Whatever way you cut it, we’ll have to beat a decent seeded team at at least one of stages to qualify for the groups but I’d rather it was just one we have to beat instead of two.

We will have to beat a decent seeded team; preferably in the 3rd

I have to be honest, it's difficult to pick any of those seeded teams and think aye that's a decent draw... especially at this early stage.

2 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

We will have to beat a decent seeded team; preferably in the 3rd

You need to wait till you see the play off draw to work out best case I reckon. I just can’t see us wriggling through 2 rounds here unless seeds we are due to come up against go out and we play the lesser of two evils TWICE!

Although Theres a few of those seeds we might give a game on a bad night (for them) and a good night (for us)Bodo Glimt for example - some funny results they’ve suffered. I think we want to avoid Dutch or Turkish teams. My preference would be anything Portuguese or Polish (notorious bad travellers)

Edited by JimmyCant

Ricardo Quaresma
7 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You need to wait till you see the play off draw to work out best case I reckon. I just can’t see us wriggling through 2 rounds here unless seeds we are due to come up against go out and we play the lesser of two evils TWICE!

Although Theres a few of those seeds we might give a game on a bad night (for them) and a good night (for us)Bodo Glimt for example - some funny results they’ve suffered. I think we want to avoid Dutch or Turkish teams. My preference would be anything Portuguese or Polish (notorious bad travellers)

Well, like I have posted a couple of times on this thread, the 'Goldilocks Zone' for us in 3rd round is from Cluj down to Viktoria, but I think Bodo are in there, probably don't want them either

If we get any of them and beat them, we're seeded in the PO round

If I had the choice of Bodo or luck of the draw, it would be 'come ahead Bodo, ya bams' :)

1 hour ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Well, like I have posted a couple of times on this thread, the 'Goldilocks Zone' for us in 3rd round is from Cluj down to Viktoria, but I think Bodo are in there, probably don't want them either

If we get any of them and beat them, we're seeded in the PO round

If I had the choice of Bodo or luck of the draw, it would be 'come ahead Bodo, ya bams' :)

Agree with what your saying, but the PO round draw would be made BEFORE we play our Q3 opponents so being ‘seeded’ doesn’t really matter since your opponents are already decided (one of two possibles) It all really depends if you beat a seed who would have been a seed in the PO round had they won. Bodo/Glimt (for example) probably wouldn’t be, so even if we beat them, the next oponent is likely going to be seeded with a co-efficient much higher than Bodo Glimt

If you check Kassie you’ll see how it all panned out last season. PO round is stock full of top European sides with big co-efficients including drop outs from the CL and Europa league

We might get very lucky and get the good end of a few surprises but I’d suggest it’ll take the best European outcome in our history (by a distance) to get into the groups

Edited by JimmyCant

StevenNaismith

We won’t make the group stages which is pretty hard to swallow when we should’ve been guaranteed it 🤮

Ricardo Quaresma
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Agree with what your saying, but the PO round draw would be made BEFORE we play our Q3 opponents so being ‘seeded’ doesn’t really matter since your opponents are already decided (one of two possibles) It all really depends if you beat a seed who would have been a seed in the PO round had they won. Bodo/Glimt (for example) probably wouldn’t be, so even if we beat them, the next oponent is likely going to be seeded with a co-efficient much higher than Bodo Glimt

If you check Kassie you’ll see how it all panned out last season. PO round is stock full of top European sides with big co-efficients including drop outs from the CL and Europa league

We might get very lucky and get the good end of a few surprises but I’d suggest it’ll take the best European outcome in our history (by a distance) to get into the groups

I did state that 'I thought Bodo were in that group of teams' (sic)

They're not, actually, their rating is 20.000

So,  we don't want Bodo, they're no good at all :)

The teams are now:

CFR Cluj **              Rom  27.500
FC Midtjylland **        Den  25.500
Partizan Belgrade *3     Srb  25.500
PAOK Thessaloniki **     Gre  25.000
Maccabi Tel-Aviv **      Isr  24.000
Viktoria Plzen **        Cze  22.000

It's Partizan Belgrade I would least fancy beating, Bodo were in that mix earlier, before changes to the list

-

Edited by Ricardo Quaresma

skinnybob72

I was under the impression that the Conference league was introduced so teams from the lesser leagues had the chance to have more European football - but looking at the teams in it that doesn’t seem to be the case. 

All that has happened is there is a 3rd competition where teams from lesser leagues are still cannon fodder for the bigger teams with seeding not helping the issue. 

Last season’s final between West Ham and Fiorentina was hardly a couple of plucky minnows! 

Draw happening tomorrow, quite excited to see who we get but realistically looking like we will get pumped rotten by most of those seeded sides. You never know though in a one off tie.

On 21/07/2023 at 00:27, DB-14 said:

Here we go…

IMG_5286.png

We’ll find out around 8 or 9am on Monday morning if the teams are split into different groups. So Hearts possible opponents will be cut down to about 5 or 6 teams. 

42 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

I was under the impression that the Conference league was introduced so teams from the lesser leagues had the chance to have more European football - but looking at the teams in it that doesn’t seem to be the case. 

All that has happened is there is a 3rd competition where teams from lesser leagues are still cannon fodder for the bigger teams with seeding not helping the issue. 

Last season’s final between West Ham and Fiorentina was hardly a couple of plucky minnows! 

Quite the opposite. It was a cynical ploy to keep clubs from the top 5 leagues in European group stage football of some kind.

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Quite the opposite. It was a cynical ploy to keep clubs from the top 5 leagues in European group stage football of some kind.

It has also given champions of smaller nations a shot at group stage football.

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Flimsy said:

And the third place SPFL club. 

16 minutes ago, ceefax said:

We’ll find out around 8 or 9am on Monday morning if the teams are split into different groups. So Hearts possible opponents will be cut down to about 5 or 6 teams. 

It’ll be groups of 8 and groups of 10. Half seeded. Half not seeded. So our opponents will be narrowed down to 4 or 5. This might happen tonight. More likely first thing tomorrow morning as you said

23 minutes ago, Flimsy said:

Champions excluded from the Champions league at the expense of 4th place teams in the big leagues you mean ?

23 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

And the third place SPFL club. 

The third place SPFL club doesn’t get group stage football

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

The third place SPFL club doesn’t get group stage football

True.  It might be by default but, in practice, it has got it the two seasons it's been available so far.  

24 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It’ll be groups of 8 and groups of 10. Half seeded. Half not seeded. So our opponents will be narrowed down to 4 or 5. This might happen tonight. More likely first thing tomorrow morning as you said

Is there where it will be kind of regionalised if it happens? Seen that happen in precious rounds with all Scandinavian teams kept with UK teams and Far Eastern places like Israel, Romania etc all together? 

10 minutes ago, FionaHmfc said:

Is there where it will be kind of regionalised if it happens? Seen that happen in precious rounds with all Scandinavian teams kept with UK teams and Far Eastern places like Israel, Romania etc all together? 

Hmmmm not sure. Don’t think so

UEFA website confirms any groupings will be made available from 9am tomorrow morning before the draw. So seems like it might be grouped again which means we’ll probably be able to narrow down our potential opponents to maybe 5-6 teams tomorrow morning

Unsure if it will be regionalised like it has been before but some of the countries Hibs could have went to for their 2nd round are listed below and all seem to be grouped close together geographically -

Iceland

Netherlands

Sweden

Wales

Ireland

Gibraltar

Belgium

Norway

Faroes

Andorra.

Compare that to another random group. Group 7 which had Bulgaria, Romania, Israel, Belarus, Bosnia, Georgia, Cyprus etc. 

1 hour ago, FionaHmfc said:

UEFA website confirms any groupings will be made available from 9am tomorrow morning before the draw. So seems like it might be grouped again which means we’ll probably be able to narrow down our potential opponents to maybe 5-6 teams tomorrow morning

What time is the draw? 

Gordon_1874

Rosenborg please, not anywhere near as good as they once were. Currently 11th in the Norwegian top flight.

Italian Lambretta
3 minutes ago, Gordon_1874 said:

Rosenborg please, not anywhere near as good as they once were. Currently 11th in the Norwegian top flight.

Aye should be easy enough then just like Zurich last season.

21 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Not sure anyone is saying it will be easy, just preferable. FWIW we more than matched Zurich last season.

Despite the disappointment of last season, this is still really exciting! Wish it was the Europa PO draw we were waiting on mind you.

1 hour ago, karipidis said:

What time is the draw? 

Lunch time

Think the champions league and Europa league draws are first. Then the conference league draw. 

15 minutes ago, ceefax said:

Lunch time

Think the champions league and Europa league draws are first. Then the conference league draw. 

Yeah could be a wee bit of a wait

Back to 2005
1 hour ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Where did Zurich end up finishing? Genuine question as I remember them being close to bottom when they played us. 

18 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Where did Zurich end up finishing? Genuine question as I remember them being close to bottom when they played us. 

Third from bottom. Interestingly only 6pts off Europe. Was a really tight league.

Back to 2005
3 minutes ago, Homme said:

Third from bottom. Interestingly only 6pts off Europe. Was a really tight league.

Thanks. 

Gordon_1874
1 hour ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Show me where I said it would be easy please ? What happened last season doesn't matter.

Gorgie_Rules

Won’t be the mad panic for booking up like there was last year from the looks of those potential teams.

Many folk I know that booked for Florence did so a day or so after the mad rush and it most cases ended up with cheaper and more convenient routes, and that was when around 4,000 were going.

Frank Sidebottom
10 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Is it first out the draw is at home first?

That’s what the UEFA website suggests but I’m sure I read the higher seeded team were at home the second leg in the earlier rounds. 

Hearts and Hibs should both be in the draw, and can't see us both playing at home the same night so a chance one fixture will be swapped around.  Won't know if we are home or away first until its confirmed by UEFA. 

23 minutes ago, Waterboy said:

Hearts and Hibs should both be in the draw, and can't see us both playing at home the same night so a chance one fixture will be swapped around.  Won't know if we are home or away first until its confirmed by UEFA. 

There's a high chance that won't be confirmed until their 2nd leg is over which is just a week before our 1sr leg.

5 hours ago, Gordon_1874 said:

Would prefer Crusaders! Just down the road from me :lol:

Doubt they'll be able to overcome Rosenborg though. 

2 hours ago, Craig Herbertson said:

What’s with the 'Hearts'. It's Heart of Midlothian.

Heart of Midlothian, ya bass ... get them telt!!!

Hearts? ... Jam Tarts? ... Jambos?

What's next? ... Jambonians? Jambonistas?

Harrumph!!!!

Gorgie_Rules
8 hours ago, Waterboy said:

Hopefully Hearts push for confirmation on this and announce something. ‘If the wee team beat some Andoran mob then away game will be x date’.

2 minutes ago, FionaHmfc said:

F5EC1A10-9DB2-43B3-B57F-C6FDB36EEC88.jpeg

Oh dear, not looking good for the old Goldielocks draw.... 

That said anyone from 4 or 5 isn't impossible.

4 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

Oh dear, not looking good for the old Goldielocks draw.... 

That said anyone from 4 or 5 isn't impossible.

4 or 5 is our best hope. Can’t see any of the lower ranked teams beating Fenerbache, Brugge or FC Twente. Tricky draw but hopefully luck will be on our side somewhere 

6 minutes ago, FionaHmfc said:

4 or 5 is our best hope. Can’t see any of the lower ranked teams beating Fenerbache, Brugge or FC Twente. Tricky draw but hopefully luck will be on our side somewhere 

Some familiar faces... Fenerbache have Ryan Kent and Brugge have Jack Henry and Ronny Deila

Also Twente have a player called van Wolfswinkle (sounds like a 1970s footballer)

• davemclaren changed the title to Hearts in Europe: 23/24 : v Rosenborg - Away leg on Hearts ppv ( updated )