Naismith In!!!!

kingantti1874

kingantti1874
11 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

It’s style AND substance that’s required for me.  Style so far has been ok, even the Hibs game where there were some signs of improvement.  Substance not so good yet. Poor return from ER, it does look like RC had a really bad day against us judging by their results before and after visiting Tynie, and whilst promising against Celtic when 11 v 11 zero attempts on target doesn’t really cut it for me.   Hopefully next four are better still on both counts. 

100%. but if we show that application and attitude results will follow.  We didn’t hit the target that’s true but neither did they.  We did carve out some excellent opening where it’s down to individual players to do the business . I remain furious as we’d have won that IMO if not cheated

im fully in agreement the next 4 games are important.  We have to keep improving . 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• kingantti1874

• GinRummy

• soonbe110

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Harsh to judge and it's not his team, but some  folk are really excited after a defeat to hibs ( which ended our run v them), a humping of Ross county ( but our home form has been strong last two seasons) and a 2-0 defeat v celtic (worse than our last home league game v them, although the red card changed the game).

It's great that some are giving Naismith more support and leeway than they ever gave Bob,  but results haven't been better and ultimately imo things won't change that much  until we get a new manager and have a clear out. 

Way too early to be championing Naismith,  but likewise it's harsh to judge him as it's not his team.

One big positive of Bob getting the boot is that it's apparent any new manager will get some time and not hounded and abused after every poor result, that is only a good thing.

I'm curious how big a clear out you think we need?

It seems the club has made the right decision in removing Neilson, McCulloch and Snodgrass.  Whether appointing Naismith in the interim, and potentially doing so longer term, is also the right decision remains very uncertain.

But from the performances against Ross County and Celtic, surely there's enough to see we've a decent squad that's not in need of a 'clear out'?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

You’ve made up most of the first paragraph to be fair. Naismith himself said he didn’t know much about what was going on with the first team until after Neilson was sacked.

Also, I don’t know why you don’t think appointing Naismith - a complete rookie - isn’t taking a chance?

Some of the thinking processes about this is just mental.

Any appointment is chance. And who are you calling mental? Watch your mouth laddie

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

You don’t know the trajectory of Naismith- he maybe just has players who are relieved they don’t have to play for Neilson anymore:

And I don’t want a vanity project/

I just want people like you to accept that Naismith has done absolutely nothing to show he is the best option for us moving forward:

not only do games/results prove this but also, we don’t know what other managers are in the hat to mange us.

So let’s quit this “we beat st Mirren and he should get the job” bullshit:

it goes to show that fans know duck all on the scheme of things.

Aye, thats you 😉

Ex member of the SaS

On the fence about giving him the job but if we continue to play ( and win ) as we have under him, then he has done his case no hard what so ever. Better the devil you know sort of thing.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
9 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Any appointment is chance. And who are you calling mental? Watch your mouth laddie

🥶

🤗

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

On the fence about giving him the job but if we continue to play ( and win ) as we have under him, then he has done his case no hard what so ever. Better the devil you know sort of thing.

Indeed, any sensible person would see positive results and behaviours be seen as a decent choice, over 2 months. Add in the expense of compensation(s), the likelihood of being a few million down on expected, the person in situ, familiar with the club, the league, the opposition, these are all very sensible measures to go in house.

If it crumbles for Naismith the next few weeks, then there is no alternative to look elsewhere, the Hibs game was too soon, we have had 2 home games, one against top the other bottom, both encouraging. He has 2 further home games with our closest rivals, I would expect the same football and hopefully results, the real interest for me is in the St Mirren game, the Rangers one is an odd one.

Ex member of the SaS

Rookie or not he has the team up for games and has a can do attitude. If we continue to play in this style and can win most ( if not all ) the remaining games then he should certainly be given a chance. Making the decision now is wrong but we also can't hang around as the " new " manager needs pre season.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

WTAF

“Watch your mouth laddie”

Come on. Chill out grandad.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Indeed, any sensible person would see positive results and behaviours be seen as a decent choice, over 2 months. Add in the expense of compensation(s), the likelihood of being a few million down on expected, the person in situ, familiar with the club, the league, the opposition, these are all very sensible measures to go in house.

If it crumbles for Naismith the next few weeks, then there is no alternative to look elsewhere, the Hibs game was too soon, we have had 2 home games, one against top the other bottom, both encouraging. He has 2 further home games with our closest rivals, I would expect the same football and hopefully results, the real interest for me is in the St Mirren game, the Rangers one is an odd one.

We don’t have positive results

we have one win v the bottom of the league team.

Come on laddie, get up to speed!

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Rookie or not he has the team up for games and has a can do attitude. If we continue to play in this style and can win most ( if not all ) the remaining games then he should certainly be given a chance. Making the decision now is wrong but we also can't hang around as the " new " manager needs pre season.

If Aberdeen are 3rd how will you feel about Barry Robson being their manager next season.

Confident of beating them for 3rd?

Ex member of the SaS
2 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Certainly the St's game is crucial, but I also think we ( and possibly Hibs unfortunately ) have a good chance against Sevco. They are struggling and with Kent out they have very little flair in attack. We have to concentrate on our own games/performances, but so far Naismith has done well in getting these players up for a fight, something Neilson couldn't do.

The only good news is Hibs also have Celtic to play and if the press/media are correct Posticoggy won't let up and will be pushing to the end of the season.

Ex member of the SaS
3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

If Aberdeen are 3rd how will you feel about Barry Robson being their manager next season.

Confident of beating them for 3rd?

My confidence has nothing to do with it. Robson has got them playing well, you can say the same about Naismith, we have to concentrate on winning the remaining games. Should we win the majority of the remaining games, then Naismith is worth a short term trial. ( one or two year deal ) with extensions decided by results.

The benefit of keeping Naismith is he knows the players, he has their confidence ( as shown by performances so far ) and his man management skills are by far, miles ahead of Neilson.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

We don’t have positive results

we have one win v the bottom of the league team.

Come on laddie, get up to speed!

Another chump to stick on ignore

soonbe110
58 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

100%. but if we show that application and attitude results will follow.  We didn’t hit the target that’s true but neither did they.  We did carve out some excellent opening where it’s down to individual players to do the business . I remain furious as we’d have won that IMO if not cheated

im fully in agreement the next 4 games are important.  We have to keep improving . 

👍

Lord Beni of Gorgie
7 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Certainly the St's game is crucial, but I also think we ( and possibly Hibs unfortunately ) have a good chance against Sevco. They are struggling and with Kent out they have very little flair in attack. We have to concentrate on our own games/performances, but so far Naismith has done well in getting these players up for a fight, something Neilson couldn't do.

The only good news is Hibs also have Celtic to play and if the press/media are correct Posticoggy won't let up and will be pushing to the end of the season.

I agree, a real mix of the motivated and the less so. Whilst we have 11 on Sunday, and even 20 mins into the 2nd half, all very positive against the best team in the land by a country mile.

Saturday against a different type of team, away from Tynecastle and the games that really have cost us, not just this season but historically, another decent insight as to how he plans to play.

At Tynecastle, it seems obvious we will go hard against anyone if he gets the job

BackOfTheNet

This is like the Neilson thread never finished and the same folk arguing with each other, this time on the opposite ends of the manager support spectrum :lol:

Edited by BackOfTheNet

3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

This is like the Neilson thread never finished and the same folk arguing with each other, this time on the opposite ends of the manager support spectrum :lol:

It's funny though. Thankfully none will ever be employed at Tynecastle. Hopefully some space at Easter Road! 

JimmyCant

For me it’s really simple. He gets 3rd from this position and he gets the job. Less than 3rd and we look elsewhere to see what’s available but I still wouldn’t rule him out of it. Depends then on the quality of the genuine realistic applicants.

Looking very possible that a derby will decide his fate one way or another. 

This all assumes he actually wants the job, which I’ve not actually heard him say.

Edited by JimmyCant

jamboinglasgow
7 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

True, though we still have some on here still looking to argue about Levein as manager so it never ends.

Its pretty straight foward, Naismith may be the one to take us forward (there has been promising signs) but we cant really be sure until after the next 4 games. 

It has been quiet on the managerial front in the press, no one being linked, which is normally a good thing as if someone goes to the press saying how they want to be Hearts manager and putting their hat in the ring, normally it means their agent is using us to get their clients name out there.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
35 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Another chump to stick on ignore

Says the guy going around calling people “laddie”

😆

Tom Hardy’s Dug
21 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

True, though we still have some on here still looking to argue about Levein as manager so it never ends.

Its pretty straight foward, Naismith may be the one to take us forward (there has been promising signs) but we cant really be sure until after the next 4 games. 

It has been quiet on the managerial front in the press, no one being linked, which is normally a good thing as if someone goes to the press saying how they want to be Hearts manager and putting their hat in the ring, normally it means their agent is using us to get their clients name out there.

JiG - you’re a sensible guy.

the next few games is one of a few measures.

Ultimately whether Naismith gets the job or not will depend on what other options we have.

No serious board worth their salt will give the job on the back of 6 games irrespective of what people have put their name forward.

True? 

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Tom Hardy’s Dug

As a side argument.

If we get a decent manager in for next season I am delighted Robson got the job for Aberdeen. Gives us a great chance of getting the better of them in the league.

We appoint Naismith and, at best, we are 50/50 with Aberdeen to finish above them. 2 tiny wee peas in a pod. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
34 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Which self evidently proves Naismith isn’t obviously the best guy for the job.

We’ll be looking for another manager within 9 months and fans will be split.

Jambo in Bathgate
50 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I agree the away results are our downfall against non them. We need a manager who can change that situation. We haven’t had that in the premier league since the Burley run. 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

As a side argument.

If we get a decent manager in for next season I am delighted Robson got the job for Aberdeen. Gives us a great chance of getting the better of them in the league.

We appoint Naismith and, at best, we are 50/50 with Aberdeen to finish above them. 2 tiny wee peas in a pod. 

😂 for **** sake. Where do you even start with that view.    I suppose Kevin Muscat would improve those odds 🤔🙃

Im out for now .  I accept you want the best for the club but your in lala land. 

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I don't think there is any split.  If we continue doing what we are doing now 99.99% of fans will be delighted.  

jamboinglasgow

JiG - you’re a sensible guy.

the next few games is one of a few measures.

Ultimately whether Naismith gets the job or not will depend on what other options we have.

No serious board worth their salt will give the job on the back of 6 games irrespective of what people have put their name forward.

True? 

Would disagree on your last line, if he gets the job it wont be solely how how he did in 6 games, it will be what the club thinks is his ability and how well they think it fits into what they want and how they think he will grow from it. I could also see them bringing an experienced former manager as an assistant (I can see Frankie McAvoy going back to work with the academy.)

But I also think there is a damned if you do, damned if you dont situation if Naismith does well in the last 4 games. If they give him the job after he does well, then results dont work out next season, they will be criticised for gambling on an inexperienced manager. If on the other hand they get someone else to manage who doesn't work, they will be criticised for not keeping Naismith as manager because it was working.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I don't think there is any split.  If we continue doing what we are doing now 99.99% of fans will be delighted.  

I won’t be delighted with a 33% win rate.

But each to their own.

BlueRiver
35 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Too sensible a post for this place. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
11 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

😂 for **** sake. Where do you even start with that view.    I suppose Kevin Muscat would improve those odds 🤔🙃

Im out for now .  I accept you want the best for the club but your in lala land. 

Muscat won the same league Postegelou did. He’s done more in management than Naismith. I’d be 100% more happy with him than Naismith but could see a huge added value in Naismith being his right hand man.

However, it’s unlikely we could get Muscat. My point is until or unless we know what our management options are anointing Naismith after less than 10 games without properly considering alternatives is beyond stupid.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
9 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Would disagree on your last line, if he gets the job it wont be solely how how he did in 6 games, it will be what the club thinks is his ability and how well they think it fits into what they want and how they think he will grow from it. I could also see them bringing an experienced former manager as an assistant (I can see Frankie McAvoy going back to work with the academy.)

But I also think there is a damned if you do, damned if you dont situation if Naismith does well in the last 4 games. If they give him the job after he does well, then results dont work out next season, they will be criticised for gambling on an inexperienced manager. If on the other hand they get someone else to manage who doesn't work, they will be criticised for not keeping Naismith as manager because it was working.

That’s the role of a board though. You don’t really disagree with me I don’t think. I think you agree it would be stupid to appoint Naismith in isolation of considering the alternative options we might have who want to manage us.

Your primary point being every appointment comes with risk.

If Naismith gets us third he gets the job. If he gets us fourth, it depends who else is interested in the job, but I like what he's doing so far... he's getting a tune out of players that Neilson had sucked the life out of.

kingantti1874

I won’t be delighted with a 33% win rate.

But each to their own.

I'll be honest mate and say you are striving into the territory of some of the biggest zoomers on this board with this type of post. .

You KNOW fine well that doesnt tell the full story. You know fine well that had a world class manager over those 3 fixtures Wed still likely have a 33% win record. 

You are desperate for some reason for a fancy / vanity name to get the gig regardless of how well we play. I’ve no idea why to be honest to me it’s crazy thinking.  If there was a manager out there that was obviously going to take us forward then maybe I’d get it but no one we employ will be a guarantee. 

Naisy has started well. If he continues in the same vein it will be his gig, if he doesn’t then we should and will roll the dice. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
10 minutes ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

I agree the away results are our downfall against non them. We need a manager who can change that situation. We haven’t had that in the premier league since the Burley run. 

Saturday is pretty much all we can go on for away games. Game against Hibs came too early and the game against Rangers is not Rangers at their optimum (likely).

In a very short space of time he has the team playing with energy at home, if they can do that on Saturday and impose their will on a team with a very decent home record this season, I'd be happy enough with his appointment.

Without a crystal ball impossible to know what anyone would do. We have no idea what the squad will look like next season either

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, kila said:

If Naismith gets us third he gets the job. If he gets us fourth, it depends who else is interested in the job, but I like what he's doing so far... he's getting a tune out of players that Neilson had sucked the life out of.

Neilson got a tune out of these players as well for a few runs of games this season.

One short run of games (similar to those which Naismith now has) got us from mid table to 3rd in the league. Yet after that run, people wanted Neilson sacked.

He was rightly sacked eventually but if Naismith has a run of results over 6 games at the end of the season it will be no more than the run of results that Neilson had after the World Cup - which probably lasted over 6 games.

Was it 1 defeat in 9?

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Muscat won the same league Postegelou did. He’s done more in management than Naismith. I’d be 100% more happy with him than Naismith but could see a huge added value in Naismith being his right hand man.

However, it’s unlikely we could get Muscat. My point is until or unless we know what our management options are anointing Naismith after less than 10 games without properly considering alternatives is beyond stupid.

No one is anointing naismith.  We are trying to explain to you that ruling him out at this point is beyond stupid. The fact you can’t see the irony in your post is baffling.

muscat’s record  pre j league was garbage.

Maybe they saw something in him which they felt was worth taking the gamble ? 

Edited by kingantti1874

Tom Hardy’s Dug
7 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I'll be honest mate and say you are striving into the territory of some of the biggest zoomers on this board with this type of post. .

You KNOW fine well that doesnt tell the full story. You know fine well that had a world class manager over those 3 fixtures Wed still likely have a 33% win record. 

You are desperate for some reason for a fancy / vanity name to get the gig regardless of how well we play. I’ve no idea why to be honest to me it’s crazy thinking.  If there was a manager out there that was obviously going to take us forward then maybe I’d get it but no one we employ will be a guarantee. 

Naisy has started well. If he continues in the same vein it will be his gig, if he doesn’t then we should and will roll the dice. 

I don’t get this vanity name troll that is being thrown out there:

I want the best man for the job.

As it stands Naismith hasn’t earned that. Beating St Mirren wont earn it. Getting 3rd if Aberdeen lose every game until the end of the season won’t earn it, and if we beat a properly competitive Aberdeen to 3rd place this should at most earn Naismith a place on the short list of potential managers.

I genuinely don’t see what is controversial about that.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

No one is anointing naismith.  We are trying to explain to you that ruling him out at this point is beyond stupid. The fact you can’t see the irony in your post is baffling.

muscat’s record  pre j league was garbage.

Maybe they saw something in him which they felt was worth taking the gamble ? 

I’m not ruling him out:

I am simply saying that whatever happens before the end of the season should not by itself rule him into the job - not without speaking to other applicants.

Its not rocket science.

BackOfTheNet
51 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I’m with you on this. Not sure anyone can be sure either way on the limited time we have had to view Naismith. But some are for some reason.

kingantti1874

I don’t get this vanity name troll that is being thrown out there:

I want the best man for the job.

As it stands Naismith hasn’t earned that. Beating St Mirren wont earn it. Getting 3rd if Aberdeen lose every game until the end of the season won’t earn it, and the best that beats a properly competitive Aberdeen to 3rd place should earn Naismith is a place on the short list of potential managers.

I genuinely don’t see what is controversial about that.

No you dont.  You want the best man for the job who isn’t naismith.  

In your eyes there is nothing he can do to earn it . You want “your definition” of the best man for the job. 

LochcarronJambo
4 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I’m not ruling him out:

I am simply saying that whatever happens before the end of the season should not by itself rule him into the job - not without speaking to other applicants.

Its not rocket science.

A think that is a fair point

kingantti1874

I’m not ruling him out:

It’s not rocket science.

finally a post I can agree with. We will be talking to other candidates of course? This point has never been up for debate given stated by Andrew McKinley.  

but if we perform well and show improvement.  It would be a massive gamble to shove the guy out who is already in situ 

BackOfTheNet
27 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

To be fair I don’t think it proves anything other than fans get entrenched in support for a player or manager like they do a club, which is weird to me but hey ho.

To transfer any support for Neilson into being anti Naismith (or more likely seeing pro Naismith comments as a back handed go at Neilson) or to transfer any anti Neilson sentiment into support for Naismith achieves nothing and has very little if no merit in terms of aiding any argument.

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

It’s style AND substance that’s required for me.  Style so far has been ok, even the Hibs game where there were some signs of improvement.  Substance not so good yet. Poor return from ER, it does look like RC had a really bad day against us judging by their results before and after visiting Tynie, and whilst promising against Celtic when 11 v 11 zero attempts on target doesn’t really cut it for me.   Hopefully next four are better still on both counts. 

Signs of improvement at ER ??????????

That was probably the worst performance (or non performance to be more accurate) that I've ever seen down there, and I include the 2-6 game.

The Treasurer
8 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

To be fair I don’t think it proves anything other than fans get entrenched in support for a player or manager like they do a club, which is weird to me but hey ho.

To transfer any support for Neilson into being anti Naismith (or more likely seeing pro Naismith comments as a back handed go at Neilson) or to transfer any anti Neilson sentiment into support for Naismith achieves nothing and has very little if no merit in terms of aiding any argument.

I think most fans, at least the more rational ones, support the club above any individual, but they will give the manager and players full backing until that backing is no longer merited.

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Signs of improvement at ER ??????????

That was probably the worst performance (or non performance to be more accurate) that I've ever seen down there, and I include the 2-6 game.

it’s simply not in any way fair to expect a manager to repair and broken squad and system in 3.5 days

Whilst we were overall terrible it’s was clear some individuals had started playing again.  E.g Barrie McKay who was decent first half 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

We've had 3 games to look at Naismith, thats already 3 games more than we get to look at any other manager, and we have 4 more. This is as good as it gets, you dont get to loan or try before you buy with anyone else.

Wilder might actually be the living example of that, done very well  and done very badly, there are no guarantees, on what we have seen over the last 3 weeks, its been encouraging. On that basis, assuming the trend continues, you might be throwing away someone very good, that would be great eh

The Treasurer
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

it’s simply not in any way fair to expect a manager to repair and broken squad and system in 3.5 days

Whilst we were overall terrible it’s was clear some individuals had started playing again.  E.g Barrie McKay who was decent first half 

Of course we couldn't judge Naismith (or any manager) after such a short time, but I honestly saw a group of individuals who looked like they couldn't give a shit.

I spoke to a wee team fan, who usually tells it like it is hen it comes to derbies, and he said he had never seen such a weak performance from a Hearts team