Naismith In!!!!

kingantti1874

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Who mentioned anything about a “vanity manager”?

I did 😂 if stevie naismith had a more glamorous foreign  name or was a B team coach from man city some on here would be frothing at the gash.   I'm reasonably sure if it were some random German 4th division coach claiming to have mastered geggenpress the excitement would be palpable 

I've said before we will either 

1. Take a gamble with naismith if he continues in current vein

2. Take A gamble with another unknown from another club or who is out of work

3.Employ someone who has some sort of pedigree however has failed in the their career at least once e.g wilder

There is no option 4. We simply are not going to employ a sure fire success because we don't operate in that market. 

It will be option 1 or 3. I hope Naisy makes it difficult to choose anything but option 1.   

Edited by kingantti1874

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• kingantti1874

• GinRummy

• soonbe110

I think It's been in the plan for Naismith to eventually become first team coach. It's probably just happened a bit sooner than was expected, but there's no doubt he has a winning mentality and he has played a higher level than nearly everyone in the fist team squad with the exception of Craig Gordon. That in itself commands respect from the playing staff.

The difference in the style of play since he took over is what everyone has been crying out for  and he's managed it in a short space of time. If he does a good job in the remaining games I  fully expect him to be given the job at the end of the season, however I also think that the board will have scrutinised the CVs that have been submitted and will have a plan B in place if things don't work out with Naisy. Personally, I hope they do work out with Naisy. 

kingantti1874
Just now, Firefox said:

I think It's been in the plan for Naismith to eventually become first team coach. It's probably just happened a bit sooner than was expected, but there's no doubt he has a winning mentality and he has played a higher level than nearly everyone in the fist team squad with the exception of Craig Gordon. That in itself commands respect from the playing staff.

The difference in the style of play since he took over is what everyone has been crying out for  and he's managed it in a short space of time. If he does a good job in the remaining games I  fully expect him to be given the job at the end of the season, however I also think that the board will have scrutinised the CVs that have been submitted and will have a plan B in place if things don't work out with Naisy. Personally, I hope they do work out with Naisy. 

Bang on the money.  

Agentjambo
2 minutes ago, Firefox said:

What counts as a good job?

Captain Scarlett

Wilder has been mentioned but only on here. The plus for me would be he has no experience of the uglies so would have no fear. Any manager we get who has either played or managed in Scotland will be wary of these games i.e shittin it. I include Naisy in this so no. Let him return to his ‘B’ team duties and go for a. Experienced guy (or woman) who’s not gonna run to the team coach toilet every time we hit the M8

1 minute ago, Agentjambo said:

I would think that's fairly obvious. Personally I think he's done a good job already by completely transforming  our style of play from slow laborious possession based football to a faster more direct attacking football, which is what everyone has been pleading for since we were in the championship.  From what I've seen so far, I think we have a god chance of winning against St Mirren, Aberdeen and Hibs and based on their recent form, Rangers are beatable too. Third  would be a great job, fourth would be a good job considering the downward trajectory we were on before he took over. 

1 minute ago, Captain Scarlett said:

Wilder has been mentioned but only on here. The plus for me would be he has no experience of the uglies so would have no fear. Any manager we get who has either played or managed in Scotland will be wary of these games i.e shittin it. I include Naisy in this so no. Let him return to his ‘B’ team duties and go for a. Experienced guy (or woman) who’s not gonna run to the team coach toilet every time we hit the M8

He certainly didn't shit it against the uglies on Saturday 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Yep, our defensive line was on the half way line, our central midfield was pushed up on to their deepest midfielder and our wingers onto their full backs. We forced them to take risks playing short or go long. 

Naisy had it spot on tactical wise until we were forced to drop after losing Cochrane. 

Agree. The high line high press was working well.

It isn’t a huge coincidence that the ball that caught Cochrane out was played after we had stopped pressing as much/as high and their right back had loads of time to play the ball behind our high defence for Maeda to latch on to.

Nobody’s fault in particular but we still need to work on defence and press being in sync.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
32 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

The good thing is, regardless of the  opinions shared on here, mine included!! in 90% sure that the board will take into account the jb that naismith does and factor that into the process. 

I'm 100% sure this board will not appoint a vanity manager based on name. 

So am I 

😂🙄

1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Agree. The high line high press was working well.

It isn’t a huge coincidence that the ball that caught Cochrane out was played after we had stopped pressing as much/as high and their right back had loads of time to play the ball behind our high defence for Maeda to latch on to.

Nobody’s fault in particular but we still need to work on defence and press being in sync.

Football is a game of mistakes. You're never going to see a game where everyone is perfect for 90 minutes. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tom Hardy’s Dug
23 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I did 😂 if stevie naismith had a more glamorous foreign  name or was a B team coach from man city some on here would be frothing at the gash.   I'm reasonably sure if it were some random German 4th division coach claiming to have mastered geggenpress the excitement would be palpable 

3.Employ someone who has some sort of pedigree however has failed in the their career at least once e.g wilder

There is no option 4. We simply are not going to employ a sure fire success because we don't operate in that market. 

It will be option 1 or 3. I hope Naisy makes it difficult to choose anything but option 1.   

Regarding point 3 - it is covered elsewhere but this covers just about any half decent manager in world football.

It is no issue that a manager may have been sacked previously - if he has the ability and knowledge to be a success.

But, as has been said, all new appointments will be a risk to some extent.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Football is a game of mistakes. You're never going to see a game where everyone is perfect for 90 minutes. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Agreed. Just an observation.

Hearts1975
10 hours ago, GinRummy said:

All good points. I'm not ready to jump on board quite yet but I'm encouraged by the last two games. A win and a  good performance against St Mirren might sway me. 

That's fair enough. 

I don't think we should or need to be getting the ink dried on his contract right now, but after watching some of the recent stuff, and seeing the problems we were causing the so called invincibles, first half, it augers well 

I don't think I have seen any side in the league cause them the same amount of problems that we caused them, first half 

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself but definetely like what I'm seeing at the moment. 

Wee Mikey
25 minutes ago, Firefox said:

Totally. 👍

Wee Mikey
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

And that includes Messi in the World 🏆 final ... to name but one.

Hearts1975
8 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

We have to be gungho. We have no choice as 3rd is the current target.

Like what ive seen but has to be acknowledged the style is set by the circumstance.

Its a free hit for SN as nobody really expects 3rd post the players slump, but also a great opportunity, as it can be done.

A high tempo, controlled performance, with improved central defending, away from home would be food for thought!!!!

Get what you are saying but I honestly believe that we would be playing the same way if we were 10 points ahead in 3rd. 

Could be wrong but I get the feeling we are seeing Naisys own brand of play, as opposed to the way we are playing being set around the circumstances of where we are, and having nothing to lose. 

The wins will come and if we get the same consistency of performances, week in, week out. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
24 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

Performance balanced against results 

That first half against Celtic on Sunday was the best half of football we've played against either of the Old Firm in years. The intensity, the attacking intent, the belief, was something else - and the way it lifted the crowd almost instantly told you everything about how we need to be approaching games at Tynecastle. Play like that and we'll see off Aberdeen and Hibs. The really tricky game is St Mirren next weekend IMO.  

soonbe110
29 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Think we are looking at two or three option 2 candidates though I’m not sure what the difference is between option 2 and 3. Anyone who has previously had a management role has a pedigree whether we have heard of him or not. 99% of managers in the game at our level have failed at least once in their career.  In fact I’m not sure if I can think of anyone who fits into the 1%. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, jr ewing said:

Maybe needs an experienced assistant then. 

McAvoy already is, though I would agree getting a top coach along with him would make a big difference. 

Robson recognised that immediately 

BackOfTheNet
1 hour ago, BlueRiver said:

I might be missing these posts that are placing so much import on the Celtic game in a negative way. The vast majority of folk I can see are talking in quite positive terms about that first half against Celtic. 

If I'm honest that's entirely why I don't believe the game should be dismissed from any assessment of Naismith. We played well until a ridiculous red card but it is still only a single 45 minutes and anything about what mightve happened if not for the red is irrelevant. 

I definitely am not saying it should be dismissed. But there are definitely people saying things like “1 win in 3” to state that Naismith hasn’t achieved much, as if Celtic would have the same equivalency as Ross County.

And I’m just curious as to what the attitude towards previous defeats to the OF would have been from the same folk.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
17 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I definitely am not saying it should be dismissed. But there are definitely people saying things like “1 win in 3” to state that Naismith hasn’t achieved much, as if Celtic would have the same equivalency as Ross County.

And I’m just curious as to what the attitude towards previous defeats to the OF would have been from the same folk.

There are also people saying if we beat St Mirren he should get it. There are people saying he should get it already.

For balance.

Re previous defeats - mostly honking. But our 4-3 game this season was more than decent. Don’t know why people would deny that. Also don’t understand the lack of enthusiasm for our last game at Parkhead. Or for that matter people who claim we haven’t played like that for years against them, ignoring both of those games and our 2-1 win last season and 3-3 cup final against Celtic.

I guess there are narrative arcs wanting to avoid that.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

A_A wehatethehibs
5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

It’s about winning games. All managers get held to the same standard.

3 bad defeats to both halves of OF were in the run which led to Robbie’s demise.

Fact is, the start is the start. It meets expectations. The start is pretty close to what most of us expected.

The players are engaged to his way of playing, that’s clear.

Now, does his way of playing translate to winning some big important season defining games of football? We are about to find out.

Naismith getting the Hearts job will be decided after that, not before. As things stand, 6 losses out of 7 is on the table. As is 5 wins out of 7.

Winning games that’s the remit 100%. Do or die time in terms of 3rd, wins are what’s needed.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
29 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

First time in a long time I've seen them rocking. Unfortunately was in LA for the 4 3 game, I didn't see much of that one, performance against Celtic though oddly better than against Rangers. 

We don't have the luxury of a massive sample set, Hibs was way too soon, the next 2 for me are no brainers, then we have 4 more viewings. 

I'm very confident that the Tynecastle games will go well, the away games are far more interesting for me 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
20 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

It’s about winning games. All managers get held to the same standard.

3 bad defeats to both halves of OF were in the run which led to Robbie’s demise.

Fact is, the start is the start. It meets expectations. The start is pretty close to what most of us expected.

The players are engaged to his way of playing, that’s clear.

Now, does his way of playing translate to winning some big important season defining games of football? We are about to find out.

Naismith getting the Hearts job will be decided after that, not before. As things stand, 6 losses out of 7 is on the table. As is 5 wins out of 7.

Winning games that’s the remit 100%. Do or die time in terms of 3rd, wins are what’s needed.

Getting improvement out of individuals should also be noted 

kingantti1874
34 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

There are also people saying if we beat St Mirren he should get it. There are people saying he should get it already.

For balance.

Re previous defeats - mostly honking. But our 4-3 game this season was more than decent. Don’t know why people would deny that. Also don’t understand the lack of enthusiasm for our last game at Parkhead. Or for that matter people who claim we haven’t played like that for years against them, ignoring both of those games and our 2-1 win last season and 3-3 cup final against Celtic.

I guess there are narrative arcs wanting to avoid that.

Again missing the irony of your own narrative arc clearly down playing the  clear upturn in Level of performance.

soonbe110
2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I doubt it. I think the board will wait until the end of the season before making the decision. 

Maybe they need more time to find out who is available, who knows   
Question for you - If Naismith had been Aberdeens B team manager this season then for 7 games their first team manager during the run in and say they won 3 lost 3 drew 1 - would you think he was a strong candidate to replace Neilson? 

bigfatskinnyjambo97
3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Again missing the irony of your own narrative arc clearly down playing the  clear upturn in Level of performance.

🤣

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Getting improvement out of individuals should also be noted 

Sure, shows he’s a good coach, maybe a good assistant, can motivateX 

But being the Manager at Hearts is about more than getting players to run about. It’s about winning the games of football, that’s the standard to which he will be held. 

Thankfully Naismith will know that better than anyone, he needs wins and he needs them urgently if this group of players is going to play in Europe next season which was and still is the aim. 

The performances are the “how” to get a result. It’s about the result.

tiger Rudi

I think this performance is better in some ways than the 4.3. For one we didn't ship 4 goals. We were resolute with 11 on the park and even with 10 men, Celtic only had 3 shots on target. Considering how bad our defence has been previously, I see this as a huge positive. Hill was immense, Rowles more the player we thought he was. Stats will say we had no shots on target, but Shankland didn't know he was offside when Hart tipped his effort over the bar. We also had numerous chances in good areas but failed to get a shot away. On another day, who knows!! 

We had them rocking in that 1st 35 mins, Ange described Hearts as "outstanding" in his post match comments. 

A bit more composure in midfield and in forward areas, we would have taken something with 11 against 11.

Getting more of the decisions in our favour, like O'Riley receiving a warranted second yellow, or yellows for all the shirt tugging, we would have made a game of it over 90mins. It's a really positive start for Naismith. The next two weeks will determine if we still have a chance of 3rd, going into the games against Rangers and Hibs. If Naisy has a chance of the job. I for one, won't be disappointed if he gets the nod. 

The performance and atmosphere for that first half was one of the best all season. 

The Treasurer
3 hours ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

You think he could change things in basically 2 to 3 days?

Of course not, I never said that either. 

I was answering a poster that thought there were signs of improvement in the derby. 

The Treasurer
3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

It wasn’t great but it was better than the two or three away games prior to it so I see it as improvement  He had only 3/4 days working with the players prior to that game plus the fact the players, some of them at least, were still reeling from Neilson being fired   

Think we'll agree to disagree on this one as couldn't be arsed with another "Bonnar style" disagreement with you 😁

soonbe110
3 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Think we'll agree to disagree on this one as couldn't be arsed with another "Bonnar style" disagreement with you 😁

👍

1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Maybe they need more time to find out who is available, who knows   
Question for you - If Naismith had been Aberdeens B team manager this season then for 7 games their first team manager during the run in and say they won 3 lost 3 drew 1 - would you think he was a strong candidate to replace Neilson? 

The question doesn't really work for me because I'm not an Aberdeen supporter and I don't watch them. I wouldn't know what their performances had been like or, how much they had improved as a team and individually. It's in a completely different context. 

After the Hibs game did I think I wanted Naisy as manager? 

No would've been the answer because it was still very negative. 

What changed?

The performances have improved significantly in a very short period of time. It's night and day. The way we press. The way we build attacks. We pass forward. We're direct and attack the box. We look so much better. 

Not only has the teams performance improved as a unit, individual performances have also improved.

Barry McKay has gotten back to the better version of himself. Yutaro Oda looks brimming with confidence. Rowles and Sibbick look more comfortable. Haring is back in showing his best. Shankland back to his best. 

That strikes me as someone that the players are enjoying playing under, someone that can coach players individually. 

The way I see is if he beats St Mirren, Aberdeen and Hibs, why would we look elsewhere? 

soonbe110
10 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

The question doesn't really work for me because I'm not an Aberdeen supporter and I don't watch them. I wouldn't know what their performances had been like or, how much they had improved as a team and individually. It's in a completely different context. 

What changed?

The performances have improved significantly in a very short period of time. It's night and day. The way we press. The way we build attacks. We pass forward. We're direct and attack the box. We look so much better. 

Not only has the teams performance improved as a unit, individual performances have also improved.

Barry McKay has gotten back to the better version of himself. Yutaro Oda looks brimming with confidence. Rowles and Sibbick look more comfortable. Haring is back in showing his best. Shankland back to his best. 

That strikes me as someone that the players are enjoying playing under, someone that can coach players individually. 

The way I see is if he beats St Mirren, Aberdeen and Hibs, why would we look elsewhere? 

Think you would be in the minority taking the Aberdeen B team coach as Hearts first team manager. No matter how good his team looked in his brief 6/7 game stint as interim manager. 
Personally, I think Naismith is a Hearts manager in the making, just two to three years away from it. Hopefully he is assistant to whoever we appoint. 

Naisys Tackle
31 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

What changed?

A confidence boosting hammering of a piss poor county team that we took into Sunday.. Lets see how we react on saturday.  Many or jumping the gun for me. 

24 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Think you would be in the minority taking the Aberdeen B team coach as Hearts first team manager. No matter how good his team looked in his brief 6/7 game stint as interim manager. 
Personally, I think Naismith is a Hearts manager in the making, just two to three years away from it. Hopefully he is assistant to whoever we appoint. 

Why does he need two or three years? 

4 minutes ago, Naisys Tackle said:

A confidence boosting hammering of a piss poor county team that we took into Sunday.. Lets see how we react on saturday.  Many or jumping the gun for me. 

Maybe, we shall see. 

FarmerTweedy
On 08/05/2023 at 16:26, Led Tasso said:

Regarding Naismith, no harm in having running opinions about it, but this week seems like the absolute worst week possible to actually come to a decision about it. The most important match of the season is this weekend. Ideally we need to not just beat Aberdeen but to truly break them so that we can gain a critical two more points over them on the last three. This is a tough job for Naismith and how he goes about trying to make it happen will say as much about his status here as whether he succeeds or not.

At the end of the season, he'll have a CV to present that includes the run in to this season. Other candidates will have applied and have a similar resume. If he wins four on the bounce and gets us third but Graham Potter applies, I'm probably taking Potter, but if he goes 2W1D1L and misses third by a point, but the other options are Malky Mackay and Mark Warburton, I'll probably take Naisy.

That's going to be difficult given it's St Liedown we're playing! 

21 minutes ago, pointon said:

Steven Gerrard or Chris Wilder will be the next Hearts manager 

What a load of attention seeking bollocks.

22 minutes ago, pointon said:

Steven Gerrard or Chris Wilder will be the next Hearts manager 

I'd eat my socks if Stevie G rocked up at Tynie. 

gnasher75

I don't think Naismith has got enough credit for turning around the mess he inherited so quickly. Dealing with the problems in the squad and turning a bunch of dispirited individuals into a happy team again. And getting the players to adjust to a different playing style within a couple of weeks.

The performance against County was as dominant as I can remember from Hearts for years in the top flight. And a similar game plan gave us a really good chance of beating a very good Celtic team until Collum intervened. Even with 10, he didn't panic and we were still in the game for a long time.

It is obvious that he has got the team playing for him and buying in to what he wants to do which is vital. And in terms of his man management and coaching, the time he spent working with Oda has clearly made a massive difference. That was one of my biggest gripes with the previous coaching team. No one ever seemed to actually improve. But Naismith is already showing that's something he can do.

Happy if the club look at other options but I will be disappointed if Naismith doesn't get it. If he doesn't, I can see him leaving unless he is willing to stay as an assistant to someone with more experience. But it would need to be someone high calibre in the mould of Steve Clarke or Michael O'Neill.

13 minutes ago, Morgan said:

What a load of attention seeking bollocks.

👀we shall see apparently Gerrard is the favoured candidate 

Naisys Tackle
9 minutes ago, pointon said:

👀we shall see apparently Gerrard is the favoured candidate 

Not Ancelloti then?  As neither would even remotely consider the Hearts job.