Naismith In!!!!

kingantti1874

50 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Players play for teams not managers. 

Everyone is making the same comment, we can’t afford to make another mistake. 

People on here are talking about paying a manager 10k a week. A 3 year contract there and it goes wrong after 6 months, that’s one hell of a payout we are on the hook for. 

I want the best for the club but living down here, outside Rangers and Celtic, they think the standard of the SPL is about the same as Radcliffe Borough. It’s probably why a lot of ambitious managers regard the SPL with disdain. Hardly anyone goes from the SPL to a much bigger job. Only Stevie G has done that and that went horribly wrong.

Robbie Neilson was given a rolling 1 year contract when he got the job. What I’m saying is, why don’t we do the same with Naismith.

What managers in England are on 12 month rolling contracts?  Neil left Sunderland because that’s all they would offer him.  Not sure many of us would move to a new employer on a 12 month rolling contract.  

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Hardy’s Dug

• kingantti1874

• GinRummy

• soonbe110

Tom Hardy’s Dug

What a tinpot club. 

Waiting to see if a guy beats their shit rivals to give him the job.

And our fans lapping it up.

We’ve turned into Hibs

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

39 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

If not.  

Football coach - Leicester City - United Kingdom
Born: 1973, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
  • Annual: €11,407,776.00
  • Monthly: €950,648.00
  • Weekly: €219,380.31
  • Daily: €43,876.06

A manager that went from Scotland to a big job in England and was successful. Nought to do with salary. 

Dennis Reynolds

There's been a few.

Steve Clarke got the Scotland job which is bigger than Killie. 

Brendan Rodgers.

Jack Ross left St Mirren for Sunderland.

Shaun Maloney ended up at Wigan in the championship.

Paul Heckinbottom is now (nearly?) in the premiership.

Could go further back for more but saying it's only Stevie G that's moved from the SPFL to a bigger club is pretty wide of the mark.

1 hour ago, merseyjambo said:

Players play for teams not managers. 

Everyone is making the same comment, we can’t afford to make another mistake. 

People on here are talking about paying a manager 10k a week. A 3 year contract there and it goes wrong after 6 months, that’s one hell of a payout we are on the hook for. 

I want the best for the club but living down here, outside Rangers and Celtic, they think the standard of the SPL is about the same as Radcliffe Borough. It’s probably why a lot of ambitious managers regard the SPL with disdain. Hardly anyone goes from the SPL to a much bigger job. Only Stevie G has done that and that went horribly wrong.

Robbie Neilson was given a rolling 1 year contract when he got the job. What I’m saying is, why don’t we do the same with Naismith.

Alex Neill

Alec Ferguson 

Heckingbottom

Billy Reid 

Rodgers

Souness

and that’s after just a few mins thinking about it   Sure there’s a good few more  

7 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

What a tinpot club. 

We’ve turned into Hibs

Indeed, if it’s all down to what happens on Saturday we would have become a joke club

I suspect  Naismith will be named as new manager tomorrow 

kingantti1874
45 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

He mentioned nobody from the SPL has went to a big club.

👍🏻 apologies 

merseyjambo
6 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Alex Neill

Alec Ferguson 

Heckingbottom

Billy Reid 

Rodgers

Souness

and that’s after just a few mins thinking about it   Sure there’s a good few more  

With Ferguson and Souness you’re going back to a time when there was higher regard for Scottish football.

Billy Reid isn’t a manager, he’s an assistant. I’m sure Heckinbottom was the same after he left and moved up to the managers post.

Alex Neil, fired after less than 12 months in his first gig at Norwich.

I’d actually forgotten about Brenda.

Someone mentioned both Jack Ross and Maloney. The same Jack Ross that got fired after less than 12 months at Sunderland. Ross then has been punted from his last 2 gigs in Scotland and i can’t see in another managers job any time soon. Sean Maloney who took Wigan to the third tier of the English Leagues. 

oh and the words I used were hardly anybody, not nobody. Of those names you mentioned only one from recent history was successful and that’s Brenda but to be fair in that one, he came to Scotland already with a reputation as a very good manager and came to Scotland to rebuild his reputation.

6 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

no thanks.  favoured system 3-5-2.  I’m out 

A guy without a job not ruling himself out of a job he doesn’t want in case he doesn’t get offered a better one. Whoopee-doo. 

merseyjambo
7 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

What managers in England are on 12 month rolling contracts?  Neil left Sunderland because that’s all they would offer him.  Not sure many of us would move to a new employer on a 12 month rolling contract.  

12 month rolling contracts are fairly common on the Continent. Robbie Neilson when he took the job at first took it on a 12 month rolling contract.

I was talking about putting Naismith on a similar thing.

UK managers don’t like it because they know that getting sacked means in a lot of cases they will get paid a lump sum in relation to the time left on their contract. 

It’s why we can’t afford to go paying big money to a manager on a gamble that might not work and we are left holding the best part of a million pound contract as some on here would like.

All managers are a gamble but we have to be realistic about what we can afford to pay and not some of the figures being banded about on here.

8 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

What a tinpot club. 

We’ve turned into Hibs

Are the club doing that or have you just made that up to have another go at the club and its supporters ? 

kingantti1874

What a tinpot club. 

We’ve turned into Hibs

It’s more of the case that the majority of us think he has earned the job already, but recognise if we lose then that will be a problem.

bit you know that and are just trolling because you aren’t getting your way

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It’s more of the case that the majority of us think he has earned the job already, but recognise if we lose then that will be a problem.

Could be wrong but I think he’s already got the job. He might not even know that for sure himself but the board will obviously know. My guess is if we win the derby he’ll be announced on Monday and if not they’ll save an announcement for a week or so until everyone calms down.

I’m maybe adding 2 plus 2 and getting 5 but that’s just my take on it. 

kingantti1874
Just now, GinRummy said:

Could be wrong but I think he’s already got the job. He might not even know that for sure himself but the board will obviously know. My guess is if we win the derby he’ll be announced on Monday and if not they’ll save an announcement for a week or so until everyone calms down.

Hope so. Excited to see where we can go if we keep heading in this direction. 

Finlay James

What a tinpot club. 

We’ve turned into Hibs

Where are you reading this?

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Finlay James said:

Where are you reading this?

That’s just the narrative he’s invented, that he intends to play out when naisy appointed 

Bazzas right boot
33 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I'm not against Naismith,  but how has he earned the job ready?

And losing is  certainly a problem,  we'd have dropped from 4th to 5th place.

Who's this majority?

The last gaffer with a history got sacked for dropping from 3rd to 4th, so dropping to 5th with 2 defeats v Hibs in 8 games would be a problem. 

In fact, if this was a possibility under our former manager certain folk would be swinging from the rafters. 

I'm not against Naismith,  but I fail to see how he's earned the job, appointing him would be more in hope and a gut feeling as the Board know him and maybe buy into his vision as opposed to him earning the job, as results have Been unspectacular -away form has continued to be poor and our defensive issues persist. If we drop to 5th from 4th then I've no idea how he's earned it, if he stays 4th he's as good a punt as any manager outwith a few.

2 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Who's this majority?

The last gaffer with a history got sacked for dropping from 3rd to 4th, so dropping to 5th with 2 defeats v Hibs in 8 games would be a problem. 

In fact, if this was a possibility under our former manager certain folk would be swinging from the rafters. 

I'm not against Naismith,  but I fail to see how he's earned the job, appointing him would be more in hope and a gut feeling as the Board know him and maybe buy into his vision as opposed to him earning the job, as results have Been unspectacular -away form has continued to be poor and our defensive issues persist. If we drop to 5th from 4th then I've no idea how he's earned it, if he stays 4th he's as good a punt as any manager outwith a few.

If you’ve got tunnel vision you could certainly argue he hasn’t earned it. If you accept the caveats* you could easily argue he has earned a chance to do it next season.

*He took over a fracture dressing room on a horrendous run of results. 
The football and performances has been transformed 

The rise in performance from the players that couldn’t get a game is significant. 

kingantti1874
18 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Who's this majority?

Hibs. Ignore . Not fair to apply judgement for that game

Ross county. Excellent performance 30+ shots 6 goals 

Celtic. Excellent performance . Robbed by referee

StMirren. Average at best but showed some spirit

Aberdeen. Excellent performance 30+ shots against a defensive shithouse team

Rangers. Good performance.  Defo approached in the right manner and a half decent result.

all of this against a backdrop of some questionable refereeing and VAR decisions.  There has been a marked improvement in the performance of the team and individuals.  

Yes the league position is frustrating I acknowledge that, but we can only control ourselves.

We can’t account for Aberdeen lucking into a win against rangers scoring from a 50 yard cross after they should have been 3 down, we can’t account for Celtic putting out a reserve team against hibs and going down to 10. We can’t account for Aberdeen getting a third home fixture against stmirren.   It not fair to measure naismith against what other teams have done.

the home games in particular have been fun to go to, not just in comparison to the neilson year.  The best since JJ.  We should not take that improvement for granted. The game against hibs is important.  We need to continue that progression.  

Edited by kingantti1874

Under the floodlight

Naismith in, Neilson out, Wilder in and we shake it all about. This thread has

gone a bit Hokey jokey has it not.:4_1_111:

2 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

With Ferguson and Souness you’re going back to a time when there was higher regard for Scottish football.

Billy Reid isn’t a manager, he’s an assistant. I’m sure Heckinbottom was the same after he left and moved up to the managers post.

Alex Neil, fired after less than 12 months in his first gig at Norwich.

I’d actually forgotten about Brenda.

Someone mentioned both Jack Ross and Maloney. The same Jack Ross that got fired after less than 12 months at Sunderland. Ross then has been punted from his last 2 gigs in Scotland and i can’t see in another managers job any time soon. Sean Maloney who took Wigan to the third tier of the English Leagues. 

oh and the words I used were hardly anybody, not nobody. Of those names you mentioned only one from recent history was successful and that’s Brenda but to be fair in that one, he came to Scotland already with a reputation as a very good manager and came to Scotland to rebuild his reputation.

Your actual words were ‘hardly anyone goes to a bigger job’. No mention of success. I could add Levein, Lennon to the list because arguably Leicester, Bolton are bigger clubs than Hearts and Hibs. All about how you measure it. Derek Adams would be another. There’s actually quite a lot when you think about.  Not many successful as you say but quite a few making the move. 

2 hours ago, merseyjambo said:

12 month rolling contracts are fairly common on the Continent. Robbie Neilson when he took the job at first took it on a 12 month rolling contract.

I was talking about putting Naismith on a similar thing.

UK managers don’t like it because they know that getting sacked means in a lot of cases they will get paid a lump sum in relation to the time left on their contract. 

It’s why we can’t afford to go paying big money to a manager on a gamble that might not work and we are left holding the best part of a million pound contract as some on here would like.

All managers are a gamble but we have to be realistic about what we can afford to pay and not some of the figures being banded about on here.

Seems that way but clubs change managers very regularly on the continent.  Doesn’t work that well if you don’t have sufficient transfer kitty’s every season 

59 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Could be.  I’m just surprised that so many would he happy to sign up a new manager that has just lost twice (if Saturday is a defeat) to Hibs in the space of a few weeks.  Recent incumbents would have been crucified if that had happened esp when one of the games is probably worth about £1m to whichever club wins it. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Could be.  I’m just surprised that so many would he happy to sign up a new manager that has just lost twice (if Saturday is a defeat) to Hibs in the space of a few weeks.  Recent incumbents would have been crucified if that had happened esp when one of the games is probably worth about £1m to whichever club wins it. 

Have any recent incumbents lost to Hibs twice in a row?

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

In no way using that to strengthen argument for manager however I’m not sure there is much difference between 4th and 5th financially.  Yes prize money would be a little less but offset against another European tie which “should” be easily winnable.  

it’s a very important game tomorrow no doubt however I maintain absolutely ridiculous to count game one vs hibs given the circumstances. It’s just fake news perpetuated by those who have been desperate for a sexy fantasy manager from day 1 

Edited by kingantti1874

11 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Rangers. Good performance.  Defo approached in the right manner and a half decent result.

all of this against a backdrop of some questionable refereeing and VAR decisions.  There has been a marked improvement in the performance of the team and individuals.  

Yes the league position is frustrating I acknowledge that, but we can only control ourselves.

We can’t account for Aberdeen lucking into a win against rangers scoring from a 50 yard cross after they should have been 3 down, we can’t account for Celtic putting out a reserve team against hibs and going down to 10. We can’t account for Aberdeen getting a third home fixture against stmirren.   It not fair to measure naismith against what other teams have done.

the home games in particular have been fun to go to, not just in comparison to the neilson year.  The best since JJ.  We should not take that improvement for granted

Agree about the home games being enjoyable but I think your summary of the two old firm games is a bit OTT.  Can’t say we were robbed by the ref, yes he made a poor decision, but there was still 50 mins to go. In all probability they would have found a way to win as they usually do. Good performance for 45 though. Wednesday night we had 31% poss and only three attempts on target, we defended like school-kids at times, Rangers missed several what could be classed as sitters. Felt like a normal Ibrox visit to me other then we sneaked goals at each end of the game. 

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I can only speak for myself but I'd always give a new manager some time when they are taking over a failing side. I get the knee jerk thing and am guilty of it myself but in the cold light of day, things don't happen overnight. I've seen enough to want to see what he can do with a transfer window and time to work with players in the close season but saying all that, if the club came up with a stand out candidate then I'd be happy with that as well. 

6 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Have any recent incumbents lost to Hibs twice in a row?

From memory Levein did including a cup replay and it could be said to be the start of the slippery road for him. 

6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

In no way using that to strengthen argument for manager however I’m not sure there is much difference between 4th and 5th financially.  Yes prize money would be a little less but offset against another European tie which “should” be easily winnable.  

it’s a very important game tomorrow no doubt however I maintain absolutely ridiculous to count game one vs hibs given the circumstances. It’s just fake news perpetuated by those who have been desperate for a sexy fantasy manager from day 1 

Think  it’s £500k but could be wrong, there’s umpteen different versions of the payout list.  Someone posted the other day that diff between third and fourth is £1m so £500k could be in the ball park.  Add to that UEFA participation money etc even the potential, remote albeit, of fifth not getting into Europe. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Agree about the home games being enjoyable but I think your summary of the two old firm games is a bit OTT.  Can’t say we were robbed by the ref, yes he made a poor decision, but there was still 50 mins to go. In all probability they would have found a way to win as they usually do. Good performance for 45 though. Wednesday night we had 31% poss and only three attempts on target, we defended like school-kids at times, Rangers missed several what could be classed as sitters. Felt like a normal Ibrox visit to me other then we sneaked goals at each end of the game. 

Insppreciate people not liking what I am saying and trying to ridicule me but even our in house video of the rangers game was dominated by around 75% of it showing Clarke saves.

It’s all fine with me. You can draw at ibrox and not perform that well but pretending that it elevates Naismith in any way - particularly when the evangelists ignore the 1-1 draw we had last season shows that they are more blinkered than me.

As I have always said - if Naismith is the best our board believe they can get them fair play - I am behind Naismith. Not that chuffed with the board but I have no control over that despite being in FOH etc

AC Mallin_51

I think all along the board have wanted to give it to Naismith. If he wins tomorrow they’ll likely think that’s enough to justify it. Certainly wouldn’t be against it but wouldn’t be blown away either. Just annoying when you’ve savage coming out last summer and saying things like the long term goal is to challenge for the league. If that’s the case I really hoped we’d see a bit of ambition in this appointment

Tom Hardy’s Dug
12 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I’ve heard it all now. This is a bigger slander than Tosh ever committed. And it would be two games against Hibs after tomorrow.

But it doesn’t matter if we lose because at least we will win two pishy Euro games…

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Disagree, just think we have been down the novice coach, permanent and interim,  a few times in recent years and only Neilson first time round was a real success.  I have certainly never advocated for a sexy fantasy manager, I’m just looking for the necessary experience to manage what is becoming a big club. We don’t even know if Naismith has his pro licence and whilst there are workarounds if he doesn’t it would mean that he would not be 100% focussed on managing Hearts for up to 18 months.  I think Naismith has a key role to play as assistant now and probably manager in time. 

10 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I can only speak for myself but I'd always give a new manager some time when they are taking over a failing side. I get the knee jerk thing and am guilty of it myself but in the cold light of day, things don't happen overnight. I've seen enough to want to see what he can do with a transfer window and time to work with players in the close season but saying all that, if the club came up with a stand out candidate then I'd be happy with that as well. 

👍

3 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

I think all along the board have wanted to give it to Naismith. If he wins tomorrow they’ll likely think that’s enough to justify it. Certainly wouldn’t be against it but wouldn’t be blown away either. Just annoying when you’ve savage coming out last summer and saying things like the long term goal is to challenge for the league. If that’s the case I really hoped we’d see a bit of ambition in this appointment

Good post 

One thing I won't be happy about is of we're chatting about who the new manager could be in a fortnights time. The board have had plenty time to decide what to do.

There's surely no way an interim manager gets appointed permanently if he loses 2 games to Hibs within a 7 game audition period. 

I think we'll win tomorrow and that'll get the Board out of a potential pickle and Naismith will be appointed on Monday. 

Go for it 1308
51 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Who's this majority?

Please justt piss off

Bazzas right boot
32 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

the home games in particular have been fun to go to, not just in comparison to the neilson year.  The best since JJ.  We should not take that improvement for granted. The game against hibs is important.  We need to continue that progression.  

The mental gymnastics is astounding, but fair doos as I actually like Naismith so outside an O'Neil, Neil, maybe Warburton type appointment I'd be happy.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, GinRummy said:

One thing I won't be happy about is of we're chatting about who the new manager could be in a fortnights time. The board have had plenty time to decide what to do.

The chief executive unequivocally stated that the permanent appointment would be made after the end of the season. That’s what was said, and they’re following through with it. 

LarrysRightFoot
8 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

A conversation I had with someone associated with the club suggested that there has definitely been a willingness to give Naismith a chance.

I’ve no doubt other candidates have been looked at (and maybe still are I don’t know) but he’s apparently a pretty impressive individual and held in high regard. 

As I’ve said previously, given when he took over and what he’s trying to do, there’s a wider context than just results at this juncture  that need to be taken into account. 

2 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The chief executive unequivocally stated that the permanent appointment would be made after the end of the season. That’s what was said, and they’re following through with it. 

What's that got to do with what I said? After the end of the season could be tomorrow or in a months time.

1 minute ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

A conversation I had with someone associated with the club suggested that there has definitely been a willingness to give Naismith a chance.

I’ve no doubt other candidates have been looked at (and maybe still are I don’t know) but he’s apparently a pretty impressive individual and held in high regard. 

As I’ve said previously, given when he took over and what he’s trying to do, there’s a wider context than just results at this juncture  that need to be taken into account. 

The club will know exactly what they're dealing with in terms of Naismith and his character etc. His permanent transfer here as a player was probably the most protracted and quite possibly the most expensive in terms of salary, during the Budge era. There's likely to have been a strong desire within the hierarchy that he should prevail. 

BackOfTheNet

Timing is a factor in all appointments, but this summer more than most I’d say.

This season is finishing later. Depending on how tomorrow goes, we then have to wait until June 3rd to find out if we’re entering the Europa Conference League at the 2nd qualifying round, 3rd qualifying round or of course there’s even a chance we may not make it to Europe at all.

But if we were to enter at the 2nd qualifying round, the draw to see who we’d play is only 18 days after the cup final. The first leg would be 27th July. If it’s the third qualifying round the draw would be 24th July and first leg 10th August.

We have a massive summer in front of us in terms of recruitment, and depending where Europe starts for us (if it starts for us) we’d potentially have a very quick turnaround and pre-season might start early. Taking all that into consideration, Naismith has a heads up on any outsider.

12 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yes, he also said they were looking for an experienced manager so it will be interesting to see if he sticks to his words.