*** Aberdeen v Heart Of Midlothian Official Match Thread ***

Masonic

pettigrewsstylist

We need a CH. A proper, mature, proven one. Cant be arsed watching Halkett stretchered off next Sep.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• Luckies1874

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah he looked his age today, not sure where best to employ him now tbh. 

He is a very good player still, but give me the energy of Beni and Devlin any day. I honestly think another contract is a mistake, in that role 

if you cant even play passes to your own players then you have no chance  under hit,over hit or to the opposition  pathetic

7 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I honestly think formation is a red herring. 

Speed of play and lack of aggressive and determined defensive responsibility are killing us.

Too slow too passive, its getting results at home, away its asking for trouble. 

Predictable is another word, Aberdeen knew every pass we were going to play. 

I don't think it's the formation though changing it would at least make it less predictable. 

Maybe no surprise that we played with more responsibility and pace at Parkhead without Snodgrass, he is a fine football player but no one man show at his speed 

If the players have no belief in the set up, and why would they, they know the away stats better than anybody, then formation is dictating their performances

south morocco
4 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

We need a CH. A proper, mature, proven one. Cant be arsed watching Halkett stretchered off next Sep.

Definitely agree. Halkett hobbling off every 3rd game is no good. We need a leader in there. Only now you realise how good Presley and Webster were.

south morocco
7 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

He is a very good player still, but give me the energy of Beni and Devlin any day. I honestly think another contract is a mistake, in that role 

Unsure where we could play him then. Just in front of the midfield? Sparingly 

Luckies1874
49 minutes ago, Holtie said:

So let me get this right, we are 4 and 5 points ahead of Aberdeen and Hibs respectively who have both had very poor season so far resulting in the sacking of a manager. We meanwhile stagger on with Neilson at the helm because we had a European campaign to navigate and we need to ‘cut him some slack’ as it was very difficult to play Sat. Thursday for several weeks. That is long behind us and what has the team done since - lost to Motherwell 3-0, Celtic 3-0 and 3-1, Rangers 3-0 and Aberdeen 3-0….but more importantly we simply haven’t competed in any of these games. I’ve been at all of them bar today and for the supposedly”third force”in Scottish football we have not turned up for any of these games. Neilson hasn’t learned a thing about formation, tactics etc over these games and today, yet again, we could have gone home before them 30th minute. Anyone and I mean anyone who thinks Neilson can take this team forward is talking out his arse. The Board needs to ‘man up”and remove Neilson, preferably this week,or at the very worst, at the end of the season.

Some very valid points. The part about us being only 4 and 5 points ahead of two teams who have been murder for significant parts of the season says it all about how mediocre (at best) we are. If we’d improved on last season we’d be home and hosed

in 3rd by now, instead we’ve regressed and much of the time, indeed virtually all the time away from home, are dismal to watch. Neilson is just boring now, he’s a divisive figure and brings no excitement or enthusiasm to the role. If many amongst the support are fed up listening to him I can only imagine what the players are thinking. 

3 minutes ago, south morocco said:

Definitely agree. Halkett hobbling off every 3rd game is no good. We need a leader in there. Only now you realise how good Presley and Webster were.

and Berra but not after his injury though

Lord Beni of Gorgie
6 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

If the players have no belief in the set up, and why would they, they know the away stats better than anybody, then formation is dictating their performances

The question then why do they believe in it at home 

23 minutes ago, Trigger said:

Yet Cochrane and Sibbick were sacrificed before him.

Hills performance today (in whatever formation) was awful.

Hill had a good first game and has been pretty poor since. Shouldn’t be anywhere near our starting 11 

2 hours ago, suds66 said:

Pathetic doesn't come close, we are going backwards which is a travesty given our fantastic support and finances compared to our rivals. 

Spot on. Criminal 

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Yeah I was thinking that today, not sure he really wants to stay tbh. Looks exasperated most of the time, can happen when you play with guys not on your level mentally, Naismith was the same.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, south morocco said:

Unsure where we could play him then. Just in front of the midfield? Sparingly 

No idea honestly. However every man and his dog knows he is going to get the ball. 

A player of his career is always going to demand the ball and expect it, but it has become our noose on the road 

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Hill had a good first game and has been pretty poor since. Shouldn’t be anywhere near our starting 11 

Getting worse every week for some reason.

pettigrewsstylist
Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Yeah I was thinking that today, not sure he really wants to stay tbh. Looks exasperated most of the time, can happen when you play with guys not on your level mentally, Naismith was the same.

He has been looking that frustrated way for a while now IMO.

Naisys Tackle
4 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Hill should be sent home. 

4 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Mentally weak, great at home against the rest, but away from home, way too many hide, however this has been a failing in Hearts teams for a large part of the club’s history 

pettigrewsstylist

Teams sit and watch us at home, mostly, and let us have ball unmolested. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

And there may be personal frustration. Playing through one player for me is the main problem. 

Defensively we seem all of a sudden to be chucking them in. However when you cant play through midfield and it boomerangs mistakes happen 

Aussie Jambo

On paper I thought we should win this easy enough. Good team albeit McKay & Kio. We again didn’t show up. Absolutely dire performance. Crisis meetings ain’t gonna help us. Something seems terribly wrong with our team. What I don’t know but I’ve noticed in the last 4 games that our performance on the pitch has dipped to non existent. Unfortunately this season we’ve been here before. We’ve rode our luck a lot again in this seasons games. Other teams are improving we seem to be getting worse. Why? So many injuries. Why? 🤷‍♂️

All I can think now is if Neilson loses against the spoon burners then he will be in serious jeopardy of losing his position at hearts. As I see it now we might struggle to hold onto that third place spot. I just can’t understand why. We need that money to improve our squad. 

McKay needs to stay out the team against Hibs and stay as a sub for a bit. His form has drastically dipped and it’s evident in a few others also. But why?

Aberdeen ffs. The worst team in the league incl Dundee Utd and they beat us 3-0. I just don’t see any fight at all anymore. Why? Confidence gone or bad management? I don’t know but we are in serious soapy the now likes. Not sure what’s going to help us turn it around 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Mentally weak, great at home against the rest, but away from home, way too many hide, however this has been a failing in Hearts teams for a large part of the club’s history 

Too much smoke blown up their arse is a personal frustration. 

45 from 29 is not great an indictment on the rest 

Luckies1874
17 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

In a lot of our home wins we’ve seen short bursts of play during matches take us away from the non-OF teams. We’ve seen individuals produce moments of brilliance because we have more players with talent than the ‘rest’. We’ve also ridden our luck a number of times, even games which looking at the scoreline, we seem to have won comfortably. In my view we’ve definitely got the better of VAR and decisions at Tynecastle too, a benefit of the big home crowd and our ability to get at the ref. Our record is very good (when we don’t play teams better than us!) but I’m very doubtful it’s got much to do with Neilson and his tactics or ability to motivate. I think it’s just a case of the team being better than the opposition, the pressure the crowd put on them and finding a way, even when we’ve played poorly. Away from home we just capitulate as there is no coherent game plan nor hunger to fight. 

Edited by Luckies1874

Tom Hardy’s Dug

We’ve crawled up our own arse a bit.

Robbie is clearly feeling under pressure as he seems to have a first 11 (or 12 - between Cochrane and Kinglsey) and he plays them if they are fit no matter what.

Its like he remembers a few games where they have performed a few months ago and hopes it will click again.

That 11 play as if their places are secure - Robbie isn’t telling them otherwise.

Hill feels like the new Popadom Hands - undroppable no matter his form. Why not drop him for Neilson or go to 4?

McKay is a well trodden path but why persevere and not give Forest a chance?

Our midfield hasn’t functioned well without Beni or without Devlin. I often think it is dangerous when a club like us buy players (Kio, Grant) as I think it means we cut corners on scouting as we make assumptions on ability because they command a fee. I remain of the view that our best transfer window was the one 4 windows ago when we got Beni and Devlin for Boy Scout.

Robbie knows what makes Shankland tick - get him in the box and he will score goals. His words. Get him in the box then FFS.

However, we need to get to the end of season and take it from there. 

It’s frustrating as Robbie got abuse first time here as he always focussed too much on the opposition when choosing a team, for which he got abuse. Which I understand.

Now we play the way we play no matter what. I understand this also. But we simply aren’t good enough to do this either. 

There needs to be a middle ground and we do desperately need to get our player recruitment back to where it was.

Oh. Set plays. Shit at them in attack and shit at defending them.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

29 minutes ago, south morocco said:

Hope he changes it against 

Not sure he has the legs for it now though. Caught out today a few times.

Put him in with Devlin and Sibbick or Beni he will be fine.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

And there may be personal frustration. Playing through one player for me is the main problem. 

Defensively we seem all of a sudden to be chucking them in. However when you cant play through midfield and it boomerangs mistakes happen 

We seem really soft, he and Kio looked really slow today. They looked dangerous every time they attacked, we got off lightly.
Mentioned last week how Michael Stewart said when you play a back 3-5 you are prone to thinking someone else will pick him up, too many cooks. 

Cant see much change in the near future though, cant keep expecting to win by a few flashes of inspiration. 

33 minutes ago, south morocco said:

Hope he changes it against 

Not sure he has the legs for it now though. Caught out today a few times.

He was caught out because Aberdeen had an extra man in midfield.

No different to Celtic game, extra man in there for them makes the difference.

Edited by Bongo 1874

pettigrewsstylist
3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Robbie is clearly feeling under pressure as he seems to have a first 11 (or 12 - between Cochrane and Kinglsey) and he plays them if they are fit no matter what.

Its like he remembers a few games where they have performed a few months ago and hopes it will click again.

That 11 play as if their places are secure - Robbie isn’t telling them otherwise.

Hill feels like the new Popadom Hands - undroppable no matter his form. Why not drop him for Neilson or go to 4?

Our midfield hasn’t functioned well without Beni or without Devlin. I often think it is dangerous when a club like us buy players (Kio, Grant) as I think it means we cut corners on scouting as we make assumptions on ability because they command a fee. I remain of the view that our best transfer window was the one 4 windows ago when we got Beni and Devlin for Boy Scout.

Robbie knows what makes Shankland tick - get him in the box and he will score goals. Get him in the box then FFS.

It’s frustrating as Robbie got abuse first time here as he always focussed too much on the opposition when choosing a team, for which he got abuse. Which I understand.

Now we play the way we play no matter what. I understand this also. But we simply aren’t good enough to do this either. 

There needs to be a middle ground and we do desperately need to get our player recruitment back to where it was.

Why does he not sign an aggressive leader on the pitch? These collapses are ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Teams don't go after them as much at Tynecastle? Even shite teams in the League feel an obligation to get on the front foot at home. If I was a player seeing the results away being poor, would be looking for a set up to change that.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
Just now, pettigrewsstylist said:

Why does he not sign an aggressive leader on the pitch? These collapses are ridiculous.

To be fair, we did with Halkett. Arguably Halliday also.

But I agree in general.

12 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Hill should be sent home. 

Got beat in the air for their second by midget Duk.

pettigrewsstylist
2 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

To be fair, we did with Halkett. Arguably Halliday also.

But I agree in general.

Not sure i ever saw Halkett grip anyone and Halliday is a squad player only.

6 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He was caught out because Aberdeen had an extra man in midfield.

No different to Celtic game, extra man in there for them makes the difference.

If your players are inferior, a mismatch in midfield does not seem a sure fire winner. The better team with the better players might play with a man less in there!

Edited by Riccarton3

16 minutes ago, Aussie Jambo said:

On paper I thought we should win this easy enough. Good team albeit McKay & Kio. We again didn’t show up. Absolutely dire performance. Crisis meetings ain’t gonna help us. Something seems terribly wrong with our team. What I don’t know but I’ve noticed in the last 4 games that our performance on the pitch has dipped to non existent. Unfortunately this season we’ve been here before. We’ve rode our luck a lot again in this seasons games. Other teams are improving we seem to be getting worse. Why? So many injuries. Why? 🤷‍♂️

All I can think now is if Neilson loses against the spoon burners then he will be in serious jeopardy of losing his position at hearts. As I see it now we might struggle to hold onto that third place spot. I just can’t understand why. We need that money to improve our squad. 

McKay needs to stay out the team against Hibs and stay as a sub for a bit. His form has drastically dipped and it’s evident in a few others also. But why?

Aberdeen ffs. The worst team in the league incl Dundee Utd and they beat us 3-0. I just don’t see any fight at all anymore. Why? Confidence gone or bad management? I don’t know but we are in serious soapy the now likes. Not sure what’s going to help us turn it around 

We are set up to play a slow passing game with zero intensity with or without the ball. Our players aren’t good enough to play a game like we are city or Barcelona. 

Aussie Jambo
1 minute ago, Russ1977 said:

We are set up to play a slow passing game with zero intensity with or without the ball. Our players aren’t good enough to play a game like we are city or Barcelona. 

True. 

Pasquale for King
25 minutes ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

He has been looking that frustrated way for a while now IMO.

Definitely, this might be his swan-song, was so disappointed with himself when he had a poor touch and missed that chance. 

Why persist with this nonsense of  when we have goal-kick we put 2 players inside 6 yard box then get nearly caught out and launch the ball?

Edited by Hearts007

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Every other team in the league play at a higher tempo, RN says he wants us play at a higher tempo, the players don’t seem to be listening or as you say cant do so, why sign them then?

periodictabledancer
25 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Robbie knows what makes Shankland tick - get him in the box and he will score goals. His words. Get him in the box then FFS.

Good post .

But in the end it boils down to two things for me -

The coaching staff are in total denial at what their eyes tell them.

They're in total denial at what their own post match stats tell them.

Neilson doesn't learn. 

Pasquale for King
27 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Good post

Pasquale for King
Just now, periodictabledancer said:

Good post .

But in the end it boils down to two things for me -

The coaching staff are in total denial at what their eyes tell them.

They're in total denial at what their own post match stats tell them.

Neilson doesn't learn. 

Spot on, keeps doing the same things. 

Dagger Is Back

Go 442. Drop this 3 at the back nonsense. Square pegs in round holes. 

Drop Snodgrass. Everything goes through him and that slows us down and makes us so predictable.

Drop Hill just not at the races. 

Play Shankland where he needs to be played.

47 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

We are all over the place in midfield. Kio can’t get near a game for months then is suddenly in every week. Devlin was a mainstay and now looks behind snoddy, kio, grant and Halliday. 

colinmorewasgash

Away bk in july we had 6ft 5 centre bk on loan who cd attack a ball fair enough he wasnt answer but thts what we badly needed to compliment rowles and sibbick. We didnt bother then brought in hill but again not what we needed to similar to what we already had. We started season with forrest on wing mckay on wing shankland in middle. We now have forrest as a wing back or as sub, mckay as midfielder and shankland who he bummed up as 20 goal striker playing 10, cochrane has played centre bk and midfield when started as left back smith a right bk in midfield kio is slow snoddy who was nvr a holding midfielder in his career as holding player grant an atracking midfielder on bench or as holding midfield just add to many other attacking midfielders we bring in who end up as holding player olly lee and mcaneff to name another 2 so similar to  craig his mentor. 2 in middle does not work away from home or even at home now but he sticks with it. I am no hypocrite I have said for years tht he i Neilson brings in players from other clubs who look decent at first. By jan they become mediocre and once pressures on even in championship when we hit bad run he goes defensive.We start slow at home all best teams and some not as good ive,watched in 50 years would always try and start fast. U dont see other clubs at home come out slow even liedown sheep utd mwell hubz come flying out at start to get crowd onside we are so boring and slow at start. I dont think we hve had 2 halfs where we have been good in any game this season its either and if we do start well and score he sits bk and 60 mins same like fr like subs. I havent been fan off him even in first spell but he does get results although if you see where hobos and sheep ended up last season they were crap even bob cdnt muck it up but like everything things come to an end. Will we beat killie and hibs coming bk  I dont think so the fact in second half v hamilton we were struggling for 20 mins v worse team in their lge was warning sign. Wd it surprise me if we lost both no might get draw at fester cos its hubz. I said we wd finish 5th because of europe at start of season but then we opened up 11 point lead and sheep hibs imploding but both hve improved and we have got worse with tinkerman set ups and bob is now in as he put it his fav set up again since injuries. Keeping him is risk sacking him is risk. Would naismith be a better option hed defo kick arses if hes anything as coach like he was as player. But lacks experience, Martindale wd defo get more out these imposters and he spends as much time at our club on hospitality when not playing as he does at livvy. But he ll still be here come end of season if he gets 3rd well done but we are still crap to watch but yr a genius but realistically he shd with players in squad. If he doesn't we ve lost millions to the competition sheep or hubz. Tricky decision nxt few weeks fr budge and a loss to killie will really hve fans on his back. Crisis talks don't mke me laugh. How can we go to parkhead hve a go for once and play ok then cup game sit bk at home and do sfa. Today first half was like players had chucked it downed tools for manager, not playing fr him not interested slow possession,  playing from bk as if we are citeh but backwards backwards just press us and we are fkd very like his previous spell  when away from home if u attack flanks and hve 3 v our 2 in middle we struggle. Anyway he ll be here as we lack backbone under budge when managers are involved, he's her friend so we won't change till she retires, plus she ll be happy fr edinburgh and her brother if its hibs turn, might even give a nice wee speech, its only fitting for Hibs to pip us after their tragic loss. If we failed 3rd after we did change, it wd be why did we get rid, if he stays and fails 3rd its going to be why did we keep him its hard decision.

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Every other team in the league play at a higher tempo, RN says he wants us play at a higher tempo, the players don’t seem to be listening or as you say cant do so, why sign them then?

I don’t think it’s a player problem I think it’s a manager problem. We have a squad that’s far better than we are performing but Robbie formation and tactics don’t suit the players we have. 

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

I don’t think it’s a player problem I think it’s a manager problem. We have a squad that’s far better than we are performing but Robbie formation and tactics don’t suit the players we have. 

Absolutely 

• JKBMod 3 locked this topic