• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• Luckies1874

3-4-3, players “touch and go” all week before missing out, will struggle to get out our own half, we’ll be slow in midfield and defence, as though we don’t have a battle on for third. And we’ll lose 2-0.

Only solace is that Hibs are at Parkhead.

I think with the cup gone we can now focus 100% on finishing third and with a week until the game hopefully we have our better players back and I think we’ll see a response 1-3 Hearts

1 hour ago, The Hogfather said:

I'd probably take a point now, Pittodrie has not been kind to us in recent years. 

Haven’t won there since 2016.

Last 9 games there - L7, D2.

Absolutely huge games in the context of the season.

Win - we go 10 ahead of Aberdeen and likely 8 ahead of Hibs (who have Celtic away that day) with 9 matches to go. 

Even a draw would be fine (would remain 7 ahead of Aberdeen and likely 6 ahead of Hibs).

pettigrewsstylist
15 hours ago, Masonic said:

hopefully with shanks back we can get a win

Hopefully up top to convert the few chances.

16 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

I'd probably take a point now, Pittodrie has not been kind to us in recent years. 

Aberdeen are nothing special but neither were Motherwell, any result is possible based on our away form a draw would be acceptable and a win a huge boost. A defeat and it will be panic stations among the fans.

18 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Aberdeen are nothing special but neither were Motherwell, any result is possible based on our away form a draw would be acceptable and a win a huge boost. A defeat and it will be panic stations among the fans.

Would only be panic stations if Hibs beat Celtic. Which they won’t 

It’s anybody’s guess given how inconsistent our form is of late especially away from home.

it should be approached like a cup final for me. Why ? Because win it and hibs likely losing at Parkhead then it’s almost like 3rd will be nailed on. Aberdeen and hibs wont overtake us if this pans out.

With 2 home games coming up v st Mirren and Ross county and a winnable game at an utter woeful Kilmarnock in my view we should be getting a further 9 points right there.

prediction 1-2 hearts if we have correct attitude and Shanks.

Edited by 1971fozzy

33 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Fancy us for a least a point. 

Aberdeen ain’t Celtic and we will have Shankland back. 

Are you sure Shankland will be back?

One thing is for sure when it comes to injury’s i don’t listen to a word Neilson says anymore 

Geoff Kilpatrick

Surely Neilson must look at the squad make up now and change the system? A win on Saturday and we not only keep our cushion over the vermin but we stop the mini revival at Pittidrie in its tracks. I'd go 4-2-3-1, even if no one who was out returns. If we only had yesterday's squad I'd go Clark - Smith, Hill, Rowles, Cochrane - Sibbick, Devlin - Kuol, Grant, McKay - Ginnelly

Now swap in Shankland etc and the team already looks much stronger. Three at the back and exposing the wing backs is killing us.

2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Surely Neilson must look at the squad make up now and change the system? A win on Saturday and we not only keep our cushion over the vermin but we stop the mini revival at Pittidrie in its tracks. I'd go 4-2-3-1, even if no one who was out returns. If we only had yesterday's squad I'd go Clark - Smith, Hill, Rowles, Cochrane - Sibbick, Devlin - Kuol, Grant, McKay - Ginnelly

Now swap in Shankland etc and the team already looks much stronger. Three at the back and exposing the wing backs is killing us.

Gets said virtually every week but you know it will be the same shit.Then if we win despite being largely shit and lucky again folk will jump on the folk that hate the 343.

I just don't get why we play a system that surrenders the midfield 

Famous 1874

4 at the back is a must. We don’t have the wing backs for a 3/5 at the back and are always outnumbered in the middle of the park. 

Get back to basics. A midfield 3 of a 6 (Snodgrass), an 8 (Devlin) and a 10 (Grant). Two wingers in Gino and McKay. One who goes to the byline (Gino) and the other who cuts in (McKay). Would also like to see the wingers switch sides in-play. Shanks up top. 

Clark

Smith Sibbick Rowles Cochrane 

Devlin Snoddy Grant

Gino Shanks McKay

Maybe harsh on Kio but don’t think you can play him and Snoddy. 

Alternatively you play Grant in the 8, Shanks in the 10 and Humprhys down the middle, so something like this: 

Clark

Snoddy 

Grant 

Shankland 

Gino              Humphrys          McKay

I don't like our formation. I don't like the style of play it promotes. We become too horizontal and end up with a lot of meaningless possession. 

That said, Neilson isn't for turning so I expect another 343 

Zander

Sibbick Rowles Kingsley

Smith                   Cochrane

Snodgrass Grant

Gino Shankland McKay

I would really rather see:

Zander

Snodgrass Devlin Grant

Gino Shankland McKay

Sure we lose the extra CB, but we gain an extra midfielder, and it allows us to play Devlin to break up play and Snodgrass and Grant to get on the ball and look for our front 3. 

Gorgierools
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

I don't like our formation. I don't like the style of play it promotes. We become too horizontal and end up with a lot of meaningless possession. 

Zander

Sibbick Rowles Kingsley

Snodgrass Grant

Gino Shankland McKay

Zander

Snodgrass Devlin Grant

Gino Shankland McKay

Sure we lose the extra CB, but we gain an extra midfielder, and it allows us to play Devlin to break up play and Snodgrass and Grant to get on the ball and look for our front 3. 

I would largely agree but I'd like to see an option ahead of McKay. Yesterday,like Wednesday,he was an absolute waste of a jersey.

9 minutes ago, Gorgierools said:

I would largely agree but I'd like to see an option ahead of McKay. Yesterday,like Wednesday,he was an absolute waste of a jersey.

Yeah, I think the thing to remember is Barrie doesn't like big games. But Aberdeen aren't the OF, its still a big game though. I'm hoping he turns up after yesterdays pathetic showing. 

We absolutely need to recruit in this position though. I'm extremely concerned we committed so much time and energy to bringing in Oda and Kuol, neither of which has made an impact really. Its extremely concerning. 

21 minutes ago, OTT said:

Zander

Sibbick Rowles Kingsley

Snodgrass Grant

Gino Shankland McKay

Zander

Snodgrass Devlin Grant

Gino Shankland McKay

This is the team I’d like to see the last 10 games. Best players playing in their best positions. Won’t get caught down the sides and won’t get over run in midfield. Also leaves plenty strength on the bench if needed. 

Robbo-Jambo
3 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yeah, I think the thing to remember is Barrie doesn't like big games. But Aberdeen aren't the OF, its still a big game though. I'm hoping he turns up after yesterdays pathetic showing. 

We absolutely need to recruit in this position though. I'm extremely concerned we committed so much time and energy to bringing in Oda and Kuol, neither of which has made an impact really. Its extremely concerning. 

It's pretty bad we have a player in our ranks who doesn't like big games.

It's pathetic really tbh 😏.

Drylaw Hearts

After Motherwell Neilson was quoted as saying “we have a system and we just need to play it better”.

Mr 3-5-2 isn’t changing.

Ron Burgundy

We need to play the current system so that Clarke can pass the bye kick to Sibbick. He can roll it across goal to Rowles. Rowles can play it to hill who chips it infield and then we can start to defend again when the opposition just stand and take it from us as it’s so *** predictable. 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

After Motherwell Neilson was quoted as saying “we have a system and we just need to play it better”.

Mr 3-5-2 isn’t changing.

Definitely and we really are wasting our time thinking he will change it, no matter how much the evidence shows teams are used to it and we only produce small periods of good play. 

Just now, Drylaw Hearts said:

Mr 3-5-2 isn’t changing.

Something that bothers me about our formation is that its not unique. We seem to be being carried along by the current that is football formation fads. There is no originality to it... 

Aberdeen play a 343

Hibs play a 343

St Johnstone play a 343

Motherwell play a 343

Livi play a 343

Dundee Utd play a 343

St Mirren play a 343

Why? It seems like a formation that requires much better players than most teams have access to (dynamic midfielders for a start!). I'd much rather play a 433 and have the numbers in midfield. My worry about following the crowd here is that what happens in 3 years when things change again? Do we need to rip things up and start again? I'd much rather establish a ;Hearts way' of playing from U12s up to the first team. If everyone is playing the same way then youth players can more easily make the step up as there is a clear role that they understand which they can step into. For Conor Smith or Scott McGill, how many times have they actually played a 343 at youth level? I'm also right in saying that Naismith doesn't play the same formation that Neilson does, which really begs the question on why our 'A' and 'B' teams aren't singing from the same hymn sheet? 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

We need to play the current system so that Clarke can pass the bye kick to Sibbick. He can roll it across goal to Rowles. Rowles can play it to hill who chips it infield and then we can start to defend again when the opposition just stand and take it from us as it’s so *** predictable. 

But it helps the possession and passing stats 🤦🏽

9 minutes ago, DS98 said:

This is the team I’d like to see the last 10 games. Best players playing in their best positions. Won’t get caught down the sides and won’t get over run in midfield. Also leaves plenty strength on the bench if needed. 

It seems so obvious that this should be the shape and line up. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, OTT said:

Something that bothers me about our formation is that its not unique. We seem to be being carried along by the current that is football formation fads. There is no originality to it... 

Aberdeen play a 343

Hibs play a 343

St Johnstone play a 343

Motherwell play a 343

Livi play a 343

Dundee Utd play a 343

St Mirren play a 343

Why? It seems like a formation that requires much better players than most teams have access to (dynamic midfielders for a start!). I'd much rather play a 433 and have the numbers in midfield. My worry about following the crowd here is that what happens in 3 years when things change again? Do we need to rip things up and start again? I'd much rather establish a ;Hearts way' of playing from U12s up to the first team. If everyone is playing the same way then youth players can more easily make the step up as there is a clear role that they understand which they can step into. For Conor Smith or Scott McGill, how many times have they actually played a 343 at youth level? I'm also right in saying that Naismith doesn't play the same formation that Neilson does, which really begs the question on why our 'A' and 'B' teams aren't singing from the same hymn sheet? 

Aberdeen, Hibs and Livi play a back four, the rest and RC play a back 3. It’s a defensive system when you play against a 433, these last two games we have been pinned back to a back 5. 
When teams stop us from passing through them the system doesn't work. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Aberdeen, Hibs and Livi play a back four, the rest and RC play a back 3. It’s a defensive system when you play against a 433, these last two games we have been pinned back to a back 5. 
When teams stop us from passing through them the system doesn't work. 

You're right actually, apologies! I had it in my head that Hibs were playing a back 3 of Buishiri Porteous and Hanlon/Fish. Likewise Aberdeen McCrorie, Stewart and Scales & Livi, Fitzwater, Obileye and Boyes

How about we do something no el like letting Mackay play on the sodding wing where he is most effective. 

Edited by Gizmo

Drylaw Hearts
3 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

How about we do something no el like letting Mackay play on the sodding wing where he is most effective. 

Neilson will have him man marking Shinnie or something equally as wasteful.

RustyRightPeg

The reality is very little to nothing will change. 

If I was to guess, McKay will retain his place, and Grant + Kip will likely be the ones to suffer. I can see Snodgrass and Devlin coming in for them. That’s genuinely the only changes I can foresee. 

He’s stubborn beyond belief. 

Doest matter who plays or what formation you play if players make unforced individual errors. You just dont see the top teams giving the ball away needlessly like we do at times.

Focus and intensity are what we seem to lack quite regularly.

He won’t change it’s an away point on his how to get 3rd place spreadsheet. We’ll ride our luck for the first 25 minutes, sneak a goal sit in and lose a goal then ride our luck again and leave with a 1-1 draw. This place will be littered with Neilson in out stay go posts and we’ll move on to the next game!

Edited by Rudy T

1 hour ago, Famous 1874 said:

4 at the back is a must. We don’t have the wing backs for a 3/5 at the back and are always outnumbered in the middle of the park. 

Get back to basics. A midfield 3 of a 6 (Snodgrass), an 8 (Devlin) and a 10 (Grant). Two wingers in Gino and McKay. One who goes to the byline (Gino) and the other who cuts in (McKay). Would also like to see the wingers switch sides in-play. Shanks up top. 

Clark

Devlin Snoddy Grant

Gino Shanks McKay

Maybe harsh on Kio but don’t think you can play him and Snoddy. 

Alternatively you play Grant in the 8, Shanks in the 10 and Humprhys down the middle, so something like this: 

Clark

Snoddy 

Grant 

Shankland 

Gino              Humphrys          McKay

Spot on

We will beat Aberdeen I think they are nowhere near the level Celtic are and they will attack us because they are at home and they need to beat us to keep any hopes of third alive . They will leave space in behind and we will utilise it 

1-2

lost in space

Why would there be any change?

For there to be change Neilson would have to accept that he has been wrong.

He won't. He has the same character flaw as Levein.

There is NO learning curve for him.

So, will his "boss" speak to him about it??

Not going to happen is it?

4 at the back is a must.

Sick of seeing our so called wing backs coming deep in our own half to do a 1-2 with one of the CBs.

Italian Lambretta

We could always do something radical and change the manager. That’ll give us a boost.

2 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Win would extend our cushion unless you expect Hibs to beat Celtic away 

Dougie Masterton
9 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

We could always do something radical and change the manager. That’ll give us a boost.

Now we’re talking. 

Let’s be honest, Aberdeen know exactly what system they are going to face.

Just like Motherwell before them.

They're going to go in on us hard and direct from the first minute and we are going to be rabbits caught in the headlights.

A 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 would be a refreshing change. We’ve played our best football this season with a back 4. But Robbie will never do it until we’ve played 60+ minutes of the game and it’s clear we are struggling.

I could honestly write a book on why the

3-4-3 should be binned.

Just now, Dougie Masterton said:

Now we’re talking. 

So Dougie . Sack Robbie before Saturday who have you got lined up? 

4-3-3 

or

4-5-1 is what we need to be doing.

Even go as far as 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 diamond.

3 at the back is shite and it's at the centre of everything bad on the pitch. We just don't have the players capable of making it work, so why persevere with it every game when it clearly doesn't work?

• JKBMod 3 locked this topic