• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Luckies1874

• Wee Mikey

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Bazzas right boot

Chances are, to win the cup we'd have needed to beat them in the final, where they would have the "Celtic" end, more fans, a bigger pitch to play on, and a Cup Final atmosphere which they usually thrive on. 

If we're going to do them, doing it at home is the best chance we've got. I'd rather have got an easy draw and hoped someone else would do the dirty work for us, but it's just how it has gone.

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Seem to remember we beat Rangers in the cup on a sat night - Boyce’s debut iirc

I probably don’t though😂

Boyce’s debut was in the league, cup game was a few weeks after that one

28 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

No they simply up their game to a super human level.  Get it right.

Depends on what Ugly Sister’s fan you are talking to….

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Collum is a certainty 

Nothing really against Biffy 

Yep, SFA will show its Iron fist with appointment of Collum. 

We need to grow a pair and overcome the old firm if we want to win this cup again   

Need to be up for it. 

Unfortunate that they will likely  get full roseburn though - football away fans in general can outsing a home support , and if they take lead and start belting out “Irish history” songbook - as shown in years gone by - we fold and it’s game over. 

However we can get up for it vs Celtic , and certainly have what it takes to give them a proper game.  

Get into them ! 

7 minutes ago, Drumjambo said:

Agreed but you know right here and now that Willie Collum will be the ref for super safety............No ??

Biffy Clyro are single fish and I wouldn't open my curtain s if the were playing in my garden

Beaton will be ref 

colinmorewasgash
9 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Welcome to Scottish football, where one day you’re looking forward to a cup draw, making sure there’s no plans or holidays around the date of the final, only for a few days and a cup draw later to basically be thinking about next season’s cup chances instead. Oh, and then you realise we play them twice in the space of a week and you start to get pissed off at how dull and repetitive Scottish football can be.

Take the piss out of anyone who seems negative after that draw if you like, but it’s indicative of what Scottish football has become that many already feel the competition is over for us. I’m not there, but will admit to barely even being hopeful about our chances. Even at home.

Weird thing is a lot of the folk who chime in with the “what do you expect? It’s the OF, we move on” and take umbrage at the fans bemoaning how we played when we get humped by one of them as usual, who are wondering why there’s not more positivity about facing the same opponents.

And clancy and collum as refs for both games maybe don the bellend robertson as tynie one. Least its at home and would be nice if the club and police actually did their job making sure the scum with forgeries don't get in. They wont.

1 hour ago, GBJambo said:

Ah well if your going to win the cup you need to beat the old firm 

Least it’s at home 

Agreed! 

9 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

So many defeatist wanks on here. I’d much rather play them at Tynecastle than Parkhead or Hampden. 

This defeated wank would have preferred not to to draw them at all….sorry

14 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

So many defeatist wanks on here. I’d much rather play them at Tynecastle than Parkhead or Hampden. 

Defeatist or realistic? To repeat my earlier sentiment, I’m not throwing in the towel or anything, I do believe we have a chance. But anyone who thinks that anything other than a Celtic win wouldn’t be a shock is lying.

People scream on this forum about budgets and pontificate about how other fans shouldn’t expect anything against either of the OF whether we play against them at home, away or Hampden right after a defeat. Those same people should be consistent and have the same attitude before the game too, otherwise the pontificating is inconsistent.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Naisys Tackle
7 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I probably don’t though😂

Yeah thats true mate.   Great night, totally unexpected. 

3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Boyce’s debut was in the league, cup game was a few weeks after that one

👍 I did say my memory was hazy on that one.

5 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Chances are, to win the cup we'd have needed to beat them in the final, where they would have the "Celtic" end, more fans, a bigger pitch to play on, and a Cup Final atmosphere which they usually thrive on. 

If we're going to do them, doing it at home is the best chance we've got. I'd rather have got an easy draw and hoped someone else would do the dirty work for us, but it's just how it has gone.

This is true, but now even if we beat them at Tynie we will most likely have to face that same scenario against Rangers in order to win it. 

I'd have preferred them to get each other then we'd have a one off game at Hampden but it is what it is. Get in about them and see what happens.

6 minutes ago, jock _turd said:

Drawing numbered balls from a container is has a probability out come. Now given the number of times both Celtic and Rangers have reached the last eight what I would like to know is how many times they have been drawn against each other at that stage . I predicted that we would get one of the two and the other would get a bye to the semis and that is exactly what has happened ... and to be fair that is easy to predict ... how ever putting the shoe on the other foot it should exactly as easy to say Rangers will get Celtic and Hearts will get another team. I would really like to know the stats on that. Given that they both reach the last eight stage one would expect that the should have met each other the same number of times as a percentage of the number of times we have all been in the last eight draw... maybe? 🤣

Edinburgh Derby (6)
2022/23 Round 4
2017/18- Round 4
2016/17 - Round5
2015/16 Round 5
2012/13 Round 4
2008/09 - Round 4

Old Firm (3)

2021/22 - Round 4

2015/16 - Quarter Final

2010/11 - Round 5

So three times they've drawn each other before the semi's in the last 20 years, statistically that's about right,  The anomaly is us v hibs

5 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Yep, SFA will show its Iron fist with appointment of Collum. 

Collum will be at VAR HQ nibbling the cables...   

40 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

What makes this even worse is the fact we play them at parkhead a few days before. If we end up taking a hammering through there it’s hardly gonna fill us with confidence. I always fancy our chances against them at home, we usually give them a game too but I feel it’ll be so much harder if we’re going into this on the back of a walkover days earlier 

Wont make a blind bit of difference to the players confidence

1 minute ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Yeah thats true mate.   Great night, totally unexpected. 

That was the league game.

The cup quarter final was 1-0 with a Bozanic goal.

How the club handles the organisation of ticketing will have a big bearing on how our fans will approach the game.

Firstly, give the Ultras a big section somewhere, market it and create some buzz around it. 

There's 2,500 on a waiting list, time to see how serious they are about buying a tickets. Give a short window for existing season ticket holders and big loyalty points to attend the game. 

This fixture with the usual Cup approach will get about 10,000 home fans and a raucous away end.

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Martin_T said:

That was the league game.

The cup quarter final was 1-0 with a Bozanic goal.

Oh aye.  My short term memory is terrible these days. 

1 minute ago, Jambo92 said:

How the club handles the organisation of ticketing will have a big bearing on how our fans will approach the game.

Firstly, give the Ultras a big section somewhere, market it and create some buzz around it. 

There's 2,500 on a waiting list, time to see how serious they are about buying a tickets. Give a short window for existing season ticket holders and big loyalty points to attend the game. 

This fixture with the usual Cup approach will get about 10,000 home fans and a raucous away end.

If Celtic take what they are entitled to, and they will, we won't be able to guarantee every ST holder a ticket, never mind carving out special sections for the ultras.

If Robbie stops fu++ing about with personnel and set up and plays as per our normal home game against anyone outside the old firm........We've got a great chance. Tinker with formations and play slow build up play from the back......we'll get hammered. 

Worth keeping in mind that Rangers and Celtic don't win this competition between them every year. Since we last won it in 2012 there's been St Johnstone x 2, Hibs and Inverness. Clearly it's not the ideal draw but it's at home. 

There seems to be a mentality that whenever we play the OF we've lost before a ball is kicked. 

4 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

This is true, but now even if we beat them at Tynie we will most likely have to face that same scenario against Rangers in order to win it. 

I'd have preferred them to get each other then we'd have a one off game at Hampden but it is what it is. Get in about them and see what happens.

It will still be a one off game at Hampden if we make it 

9 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

This defeated wank would have preferred not to to draw them at all….sorry

Obviously not but with the teams left in we were always going to have play one of the Old firm if not both. 

Are any of our injured players near a return? I get that GMS and Halkett won't play this season but Boyce, Haring and Beni can't be that far away?

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Collum will be at VAR HQ nibbling the cables...   

SFA will have a profile for each official. Set out on a table like at judge's houses (so I'm told). They'll look at the records, the decisions. One man stands out. The Go To.

47 minutes ago, JamboCampbell said:

Can comfirm any team who wants to take the conference spot needs to win the cup. Aint happening.

Phewww….. 😅 happy to be completely wrong on this occasion. Apologies to @Bazzas right boot 😀

49 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

No - the winner (if not the OF) of the cup would get Euro football. Runners up get hee haw. If either the OF win the 🏆 and we are 3rd, we get it. 

That being said, let’s just win it 😉🇱🇻

😅👍

8 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Well said. We need to make sure we get a sell out or very close to it. I do think Celtic will have a strong say in the ticket prices and they will want it to be as high as possible. 

Players walking out to a half empty ground isn't great. Overall we are having a good season so the players deserve our backing. 

9 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

This will very likely be another sell out, which means over 14,000 home fans, 3500 away fans and some segregation.

44 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Positive thinking 🤔 I like it 😎👍

Got to be James, we can't go into this game with a losing mentality.We CAN beat them !

7 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Defeatist or realistic? To repeat my earlier sentiment, I’m not throwing in the towel or anything, I do believe we have a chance. But anyone who thinks that anything other than a Celtic win wouldn’t be a shock is lying.

People scream on this forum about budgets and pontificate about how other fans shouldn’t expect anything against either of the OF whether we play against them at home, away or Hampden right after a defeat. Those same people should be consistent and have the same attitude before the game too, otherwise the pontificating is inconsistent.

Of course a Celtic win wouldn’t be a shock. I’m not one for trotting out the budget excuse at any given opportunity. I understand being realistic but football should always be above such basic rules and thinking. 

Regarding the highlighted section I think you’re expecting far too much from this site. 🙂

Geoff Kilpatrick

Well, this sucks.

Hopefully, our game is played before Sevco's. At least we have a fallback if we lose because a gruesome final would be required n this tinstance.

HeartOfWestLothian

If we are to win the cup then beating Celtic at Tynecastle is our best route to it. 

We have to make it so hostile and intimidating for them, it has to be the best atmosphere for years at Tynecastle that day! 

Rangers always seem to struggle at Hampden, took extra time in the final against us last year and took them extra time in the league cup semi a few weeks back against Aberdeen. 

Beat Celtic and we have one hand on it! 

25 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I probably don’t though😂

That was league. It was a few weeks later we beat them in the cup when Bozanic scored. A half full Tynie. 

11 minutes ago, buba said:

It will still be a one off game at Hampden if we make it 

We now most likely need to beat both them though, which is a much bigger task than beating one of them. 

But it's a cup, you need to beat everyone you face so let's take this game and if we get it right we can worry about the later rounds after.

30 minutes ago, ramrod said:

We play them twice  in 3 days, they won't win both,  bookmark it 

Does that mitigate against a lunchtime kick-off on Saturday? Wednesday 7:45 to Saturday 12pm isn't 3 days.

28 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Who knows. I was daft enough to think we'd lose to Hibs. Chin up.

Beating one of them on a one off, fair enough but we’ll need to do it twice as rangers won’t get beat by the others imo. Hard to see . I’m a negative so and so though 😂

8 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Got to be James, we can't go into this game with a losing mentality.We CAN beat them !

True.  👍

3 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Obviously not but with the teams left in we were always going to have play one of the Old firm if not both. 

I get this, and the preference is playing them at home if at all of course, but also the ultimate preference would be avoiding them altogether. But for European group stages next season the preference is to have us win the cup and if not we finish 3rd and either Rangers or Celtic win it.

Only two semi final teams will now have a scenario where guaranteed group stage football happens. We can hope it’s in our hands, but if it’s not after the quarters then we’re relying on them to make it happen. And if they face each other we have to them rely on one. So it’s understandable that some may not only be disappointed by having to play one of them now, but that means there’s no chance of the semis having a scenario where guaranteed group stages was dependent on three of the four teams.

• davemclaren changed the title to Scottish Cup . Hearts v Celtic Saturday 11/3 12:15 ko - tickets on sale 22/2