• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Hearts007

• Don Dan

• Geoff Kilpatrick

10 minutes ago, Gordon_1874 said:

I think we'll win, we're a very different side at home and are more than capable of beating them with the squad we have now.

Hopefully but have a feeling we will get nothing from the ref or any decisions going our way. Hopefully our football does the talking would love for us to turn them over on Wednesday. Snodgrass back in will make a huge difference. Didn’t think Kio done much wrong today but struggling to see what kind of player he is. Doesn’t tackle pass it well or break the lines. I’m hoping he’s a slow burner and will come good.

We're easily capable of matching them at Tynie. A draw though wouldn't be the worst though, and we pick up full points from our next three games.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, 5jambo1 said:

What’s the thoughts on formation? We sticking with 3-4-3/3-4-1-2? Robbie seems to favour this? 

it’s a weird one as we are getting results playing in this formation. I just always feel like we play better in a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1? Feel we miss a man in the middle of the park a lot. Also means we can get an extra attacker on the park and we have a lot of really good options just now. Imagine 4 of Shankland, Humphrey’s, Kuol, Gino and McKay all on the park at the same time, we would have some threat.

id stick with 3-4-3, and I’m sure he will as we are unbeaten in 10 games and have built a bit of confidence. Rangers probably isn’t the game to change it but would like us to try 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 again sometime soon, now we have some

injured players back and more options up top. 

He does go to a 4 against the uglies but who do you drop from the defence? 343 always gets pinned back against their 433 and will turn into a 532. Plenty of quality though to choose a team and formation. 

6 hours ago, Scott980612 said:

be a different line up to today. 

Kuol to start. 

Snodgrass back. 

a proper pitch. 

Full Tynie. 

Hopefully press them and give them a game - no reason why can’t get something from the game  

For me not to play Snoddy at 35 years old on that disgrace of a pitch was worth two points

never never should any SPFL match be on plastic pitch

I think everybody has to accept beforehand this isn't just another game, despite what some may think it's a very stern test indeed. Rangers will score at least once and typically more than once against anybody, they scored 2 against Celtic.

That's the size of it. There should be no recriminations of the manager or players if this goes pear shaped, the reality is they are another level. 

And one more thing regarding playing the OF at home, I feel yesterdays opponents and the current closest rival for third Livi, have an unfair advantage over Hearts for one.

Livi have a bit of a history of leeching points from the OF at home, because that thing they play on hampers OF creativity, at least partly negating their quality edge. And that pisses me well off, it should piss off everybody who has to go there.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I think everybody has to accept beforehand this isn't just another game, despite what some may think it's a very stern test indeed. Rangers will score at least once and typically more than once against anybody, they scored 2 against Celtic.

That's the size of it. There should be no recriminations of the manager or players if this goes pear shaped, the reality is they are another level. 

Since last visiting Tynecastle, back on the 1st October they have only won one away match by more than a goal, (2-0 at Tannadice) so they have been far from dominant away from Ibrox. Hearts have a great opportunity if we actually turn up on the night. 

8 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

Since last visiting Tynecastle, back on the 1st October they have only won one away match by more than a goal, (2-0 at Tannadice) so they have been far from dominant away from Ibrox. Hearts have a great opportunity if we actually turn up on the night. 

I agree, there's always a chance, but still aware that statistically anybody at all beating them is unusual in recent times. I don't think there's any greater an opportunity right now than is usual.

They are dominant in these matches you speak of, they dominate possession and numbers of shots on goal etc. and usually massively. Match reports suggest misfiring in front of goal is saving many from a cricket score.

Apparently that could have been the case with St Johnstone yesterday. I know that's not away but the statistics and reports consistently paint a picture a side creating a lot of good chances but not putting them away.

They will come at Hearts and they will be dangerous, it's going to be an acid test for the defence. As for attacking them I think it could have been a better opportunity earlier in the season. Earlier they had injury issues and were fielding a makeshift back 4 who were leaking goals. That's when the sheep almost nicked a draw from them.

In recent weeks their injuries have settled, sound familiar? And they have begun fielding a proper structured and consistent back 4 which has stopped leaking goals so badly.  Yes, there is always a chance for any team I suppose, but people shouldn't underestimate the challenge.

Even if this didn't go well, I would be disappointed to see attack's on the manager or specific players like he shat it, or whatever. It's a team that's currently driving towards a comfortable 3rd, nobody expected any better.

All the pressure is on Rangers for this game. They simply have to win each and every match to have any prayer of catching Celtic. A free hit for us but one we should be making a far greater fist of than recent efforts against them. We've put a few poor records to bed since the World Cup break; home record v Killie, away to St Johnstone, Robbie's Easter Road winless run. Time for a big performance against Rangers who since he returned we have drawn with once and lost to in the other six matches (2-18 combined score). Nothing to lose, let's make the most of it and really show our improvement and what playing us at Tynecastle is really all about! 

Ricardo Quaresma
4 hours ago, JFK-1 said:

They're not going to get an easy game and there's no way they should win

They are struggling every match

Just want us to go out & believe. Be positive. I saw enough of Kuol to think he could be a game changer if we can go out there and control the midfield. Impose ourselves on them. 

Our defense is now looking solid, wasn't that long ago when every cross into our box made me wince. 

Another clean sheet would be fantastic and I feel confident we can score at least 1.

Get Shanks back up top, 3 in midfield, Sibbick & Rowles at their best then we can win this. 

We have been meek against Rangers in recent times.  All I want from Wednesday is for us to get in about them.  If we do that then the score line will take care of itself.

I usually just assume that we’ll lose this fixture to avoid disappointment, on this occasion I’m genuinely confident that we can get the three points

17 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Be lucky to get a draw

i think they will score early on and we will collapse 

How the hell are you still allowed on here is beyond me. Can you not just celebrate your win over Aberdeen alone ?

Edited by 1971fozzy

Impossible to predict team because of the illness.  Rangers have done us by hitting their wide men a lot in previous games.  Literally diagonals we've not coped with.  Not sure if Beale has them doing this too?

Be looking to get out the team we had at the derby and Aberdeen if we can, I reckon.  Only thing maybe would  be Grant in stead of McKay?  Bit more dig in midfield, but still a guy who can create.  We then have McKay for impact later...

I think we've a good chance in this one.  Rangers are grinding things out, so it'll be tight.  We need to finish chances, even half chances.  We need the ref not to crumble or cheat.  We need them to get yellows when they should and us not to when we shouldn't, we need our defenders to be able to make the same types of challenges as theres.  All the non-VAR stuff refs still have leeway with basically.

I would be tempted to start a front three of Shankland, Ginnelly and Kuol and leave McKay on the bench. He never turns up against them and Kuol's pace is absolutely frightening even when running with the ball. They will come out to win so there will be the opportunity in behind them to exploit with pace from both Gino and Kuol. The laddie also doesn't look as lightweight as I had him down for, he wasn't afraid to put himself about yesterday and challenge their centre halfs. Get running at that donkey Goldson who has no pace and we could be in with a chance. All about high concentration levels and making sure we don't give Beaton/Clancy an opportunity to send anyone off. The red cards these days are ridiculous, seems like even when you win the ball if you touch anyone on the follow through it's a red card. 

4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Impossible to predict team because of the illness.  Rangers have done us by hitting their wide men a lot in previous games.  Literally diagonals we've not coped with.  Not sure if Beale has them doing this too?

Be looking to get out the team we had at the derby and Aberdeen if we can, I reckon.  Only thing maybe would  be Grant in stead of McKay?  Bit more dig in midfield, but still a guy who can create.  We then have McKay for impact later...

I think we've a good chance in this one.  Rangers are grinding things out, so it'll be tight.  We need to finish chances, even half chances.  We need the ref not to crumble or cheat.  We need them to get yellows when they should and us not to when we shouldn't, we need our defenders to be able to make the same types of challenges as theres.  All the non-VAR stuff refs still have leeway with basically.

Everytime I watch Kent for them against anyone else he flatters to deceive. However when up against us we seem to make him look like Messi. We were done the last home match by balls into the box, however feel our defence is a lot more shored up than it was back then. Hopefully we rattle into them and give them a game, seems an age since we turned them over or at least got into them. 

5 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Everytime I watch Kent for them against anyone else he flatters to deceive. However when up against us we seem to make him look like Messi. We were done the last home match by balls into the box, however feel our defence is a lot more shored up than it was back then. Hopefully we rattle into them and give them a game, seems an age since we turned them over or at least got into them. 

Having Hill back would be a big help.  Never thought I'd say this but Kingsley not in our starting XI at the moment (unless Alex's knock effecting him I guess).  A back 3 of Hill Toby and Kye, all quick, all decent in the air, can all play.  I feel we'd defend cross ok, but its that wee bollox Kent wriggling through or to the bye-line for cutbacks I guess is the issue, more intricate stuff.  That diagonal seems to give their wingers a chance to run at us time and again which is my concern.

The ball needs to stick up top, and with that in mind, I'd have Shanks starting position more on their CHs with Gino running off, so maybe more of a 352/532 than our 343 (which is kind of 2 up at time anyway as Barrie been almost more a CM of late, but i'd go even more of a 2 up in the shape)

Can we beat them? Yes.

Will we beat them? That depends on whether we turn up or not, and how the man in the middle and VAR officiate.

The Old Tolbooth

After some of the blatant cheating in Rangers favour lately, they decide to self appoint a former (allegedly) season ticket hold to referee the game in the shape of John Beaton, who gives us hee haw at the best of times! 

We've definitely got enough to beat them on Wednesday night, but this is one for the officials to influence, I'm probably going to miss the game for personal reasons, but I think my blood pressure would be through the roof anyway, so maybe it's a good thing! 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I dont like pointing to referees, but will be quite some achievement to win this with Beaton in charge, they seem to be quite keen for the title not to be won weeks in advance again, Rangers getting all possible assistance to keep it going

Brick Tamland
54 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

How the hell are you still allowed on here is beyond me. Can you not just celebrate your win over Aberdeen alone ?

He was posted missing when we beat the shite at the methadome, but back in all his glory now, careful he doesn’t shop you to the mods for questioning his team of choice. Ummmm mate. 

Brick Tamland
27 minutes ago, The Old Tolbooth said:

After some of the blatant cheating in Rangers favour lately, they decide to self appoint a former (allegedly) season ticket hold to referee the game in the shape of John Beaton, who gives us hee haw at the best of times! 

We've definitely got enough to beat them on Wednesday night, but this is one for the officials to influence, I'm probably going to miss the game for personal reasons, but I think my blood pressure would be through the roof anyway, so maybe it's a good thing! 

I agree. 
Definitely enough in our side to beat them but will Brother Beaton and the GFA allow us to?

LochcarronJambo
1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I dont like pointing to referees, but will be quite some achievement to win this with Beaton in charge, they seem to be quite keen for the title not to be won weeks in advance again, Rangers getting all possible assistance to keep it going

Unfortunately, I think you are right

This game will go a long way to seeing where both clubs are at the moment. Rangers under Beale seem to just be doing enough to get a result and we are aiming to close the gap on them. 

My hope is we go in with a strong midfield for this one. We get bullied by them in that area in most games and never quite get into the game enough. Hopefully Devlin is fit! 

I know it’s a shift in formation but I’d go:

3-5-2 

Clark

Sibbick Rowles Kingsley

Smith Snodgrass Devlin Grant Cochrane

Humphrys Shankland 

Stay tight and keep the speed merchants on the bench for the second half. A tiring defence versus Koul and Gino might be the difference.

brunoatemyhamster

Gollums performance at Ibrox on Saturday might be a good thing for us.

Surely they cant expect another refereeing performance that obviously bias so soon.

People would quite rightly start asking question.

No reason not to turn up and at least give them a game. Theyve been spawny since Beale took over.

Confident well take something out of this.

After recent results and performances against this lot, I am going in to this match with only one expectation. We will lose. Prove me wrong, Hearts. 

I think our defence looks good and could put in a good showing. Up front I think we can cause them problems. Midfield is where I think the game will be lost. We'll stick to the 3-4-3 and get outnumbered in there. Again. 

I hate being negative but recent history against them gives little cause for optimism. No doubt I'll get my hopes up and feel we can do it when Wednesday evening arrives. 

BRAVEHEART1874

Although kent has been getting used more centrally I wouldn't be surprised if they start him on the left against us. Think Hill will play well against him, especially if sibbick covers at times like against Duku.

Rangers struggle at times to break some teams down untill a defender etc. makes  stupid mistake or maybe also the game opens up more  last 15min but hopefully were 2 up by that time and the raging bull has seen red ;)

They defend better esp in the air with goldson the basketball player back.  Don't just lump aimless high balls to him hearts, more diagnals to the touchlines plz.

I dont think much of taveneir or the american in defense, would help if mcgregor dropped another howler tae :)

18 minutes ago, brunoatemyhamster said:

Gollums performance at Ibrox on Saturday might be a good thing for us.

Surely they cant expect another refereeing performance that obviously bias so soon.

People would quite rightly start asking question.

No reason not to turn up and at least give them a game. Theyve been spawny since Beale took over.

Confident well take something out of this.

I like your sentiment and hope , but c'mon they have been doing it for about 30 years.

I think the clue is in the appointment.

I'm hoping that Hearts TV will allow ppv for this game. Although I have a s/t its difficult for me to get to Tynecsatle midweek. Has anyone heard anything?

Edited by upgotheheads

9 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I'm hoping that Hearts TV will allow ppv for this game. Although I have a s/t its difficult for me to get to Tynecsatle midweek. Has anyone heard anything?

I’m in the exact same boat. Pretty sure I heard it is PPV for £12.50. Hearts TV will have details

Just now, Kirky Jambo said:

I’m in the exact same boat. Pretty sure I heard it is PPV for £12.50. Hearts TV will have details

🤞I had a look at the Hearts tv website but didn't see it mentioned, though they might well leave it for a late announcement to maximise ticket sales.

3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Can we beat them? Yes.

Will we beat them? That depends on whether we turn up or not, and how the man in the middle and VAR officiate.

1-0Hearts.

Shooter McGavin

We need to do our upmost to unsettle them, don’t let them get comfy. That comes from the stands too. We need to be right on them from the start.

1 minute ago, Shooter McGavin said:

We need to do our upmost to unsettle them, don’t let them get comfy. That comes from the stands too. We need to be right on them from the start.

👍

10 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

All the pressure is on Rangers for this game. They simply have to win each and every match to have any prayer of catching Celtic. A free hit for us but one we should be making a far greater fist of than recent efforts against them. We've put a few poor records to bed since the World Cup break; home record v Killie, away to St Johnstone, Robbie's Easter Road winless run. Time for a big performance against Rangers who since he returned we have drawn with once and lost to in the other six matches (2-18 combined score). Nothing to lose, let's make the most of it and really show our improvement and what playing us at Tynecastle is really all about! 

Pressure that is likely to be alleviated if required by a dodgy decision or three from the Lanarkshire officials.

65E413F2-4613-420B-9BBD-43652129DCEE.jpeg

138F415F-C6E4-4E49-B7CB-103C35E6638D.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Yup

470C6095-B1EC-41AD-9C88-76C749465769.jpeg

52 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I joked to my son at the game yesterday that the referee might be bad but wait till we get John Beaton on Wednesday, I was joking but checked to see who the referee will be and guess what?

:facepalm:

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts V Rangers Official Match Thread ( on ppv ) ***