*** Hearts V Rangers Official Match Thread ( on ppv ) ***

Masonic

Watched the highlights and they look for grim viewing.

On reflection, Kingsley was much more at fault than I'd first realized.

- 1st offside goal in no mans land

- Posted missing for Morelos's goal (maybe this is harsh)

- 2nd offside goal he's miles out of position too far forward

- Save in 1st half he passed it 2 yards to a Ranger player under no pressure

- 3rd Rangers goal posted missing

Its sad to see how far he's fallen from last year and its clear the solidity we enjoyed with Hill/Sibbick/Rowles back 3 was in part due to his absence.

For me next game it should be:

Hill          Sibbick         Rowles
Smith/Atkinson                                                 Cochrane/Kingsley

This suits all the players much better. Hill clearly had no clue how to positionally play RWB or RB so that experiment should never be repeated.
Rowles' limited passing is less exposed when he's not in the middle of the 3.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Hearts007

• Don Dan

• Geoff Kilpatrick

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We see this mistake time and time again. I refuse to accept that Atkinson - an international defender - is a worse option at right wing back than a centre back.

I agree. Everyone can see Atkinson's confidence is low at the moment, partly through lack of game time with niggly issues and partly due to Neilson.
With a solid RCB (e.g. Hill or Smith) who can cover wide, then we should just be giving him a run of games to build up his fitness and form. 
One major doubt is his ability to avoid injury consistently.

Well that was utter 💩. RN set us up well v Celtic at home recently and we scored 3 (it was defensive errors which cost us that day). But last night, he got the team selection all wrong 🤯.

Players looked uncomfortable all over the pitch and as a result, the team made countless unforced errors. It’s the worst home performance since the CL Euro games.  

To compound things, Rangers played very well. Typically, Probably the best since the new manager came in. We couldn’t cope with their passing & movement. It’s a compliment that they raise their game when coming through here - but we need to be at it in these games and we simply were not. So disappointing.

I get they have better players, a far bigger budget etc, but too many times they are getting an easy ride here, when at the very least, they should know they’ve been in a game. Most fans won’t lose their 💩 if we lose to a team like Rangers or Celtic because of the huge gulf in resources. It’s the manner of the defeat which can be the difference. Need to bounce back on Saturday. Big time . 

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

He needed to play up front from the start.  Having him drop back into defensive midfield was a tactical blunder, as was the starting setup as a whole. 

Nah, far to lightweight to be up front on his own.

O wouldn't have played him at all.

2 hours ago, Haken said:

I think it was more Neilson's fault than the players.  It's the manager who decided to shoehorn players into positions they don't normally play, ahead of fit players who do normally play in those positions.  It not only backfired; it cold be a confidence damaging decision for a few players.

I'm a bit of  luddite when it comes to formation, but if even I'm moaning in the stands for Neilson to change the shape while we were still only a goal down, then something is wrong.

Absolutely.  And I was surprised and a bit disappointed that Michael Stewart didn't make more of the set up, even appearing to back Robbie because of injuries.  However there were many players on the bench that could have delivered a better performance in their right position.

Sadly Rangers got their tactics spot on.  Blow us out the water from the whistle, knowing we are notoriously slow starters, get and early goal, silence the crowd and kill the game.

Had Robbie changed things after 30 minutes, we might just, just have salvaged something.

23 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Well that was utter 💩. RN set us up well v Celtic at home recently and we scored 3 (it was defensive errors which cost us that day). But last night, he got the team selection all wrong 🤯.

Players looked uncomfortable all over the pitch and as a result, the team made countless unforced errors. It’s the worst home performance since the CL Euro games.  

To compound things, Rangers played very well. Typically, Probably the best since the new manager came in. We couldn’t cope with their passing & movement. It’s a compliment that they raise their game when coming through here - but we need to be at it in these games and we simply were not. So disappointing.

I get they have better players, a far bigger budget etc, but too many times they are getting an easy ride here, when at the very least, they should know they’ve been in a game. Most fans won’t lose their 💩 if we lose to a team like Rangers or Celtic because of the huge gulf in resources. It’s the manner of the defeat which can be the difference. Need to bounce back on Saturday. Big time . 

Says it all.  Let's hope we make DU pay for this nightmare. 

Read all this and learn Robbie, or at least admit to your mistake.

Almost every poster is coming to the same conclusion.....is that a first?!

Bazzas right boot
27 minutes ago, MattyK82 said:

Fair.

In the cold light of day... I still can't find much to console me. Scratching around I could say that a couple of players (especially Kingsley) had a really bad night, and at least Robbie's intentions were good with a very attacking line-up. However the big takeaway was our absolute naivety in thinking we could play football and build from the back against much better players in any circumstances, even at home. Mediocre sides come to Tynecastle knowing how we play and get right into us from the start, and we are often a goal down early and fighting to recover. 

We missed some players ( eg Halliday and Devlin) who have the battling qualities required and we played some players in unfamiliar  positions, and were caught in possession and gave the ball away far too easily, especially in the first half,

In the first ten minutes, especially against teams like Sevco but also against mediocre sides like Dundee United on Saturday, we should leave three men up on the half-way line and every time we get the ball we should lob the ball up and behind the opposition. They would need to leave at least four men back to cover, and we should only start the slow build-up ( which I like) when we have established decent possession in our own half. Trying to pass our way through Sevco from our own penalty box last night was suicidal.

We played right into their hands. As much as we all want to have a go and be on the front foot, last night shows what happens when you do this all wrong. We were far too open and there were gaps everywhere for them to play in. As much as I hate to say it, they have got very good players and they are simply all individually better than all the hearts players. I personally think the only positive thing from last night was that it was only 3. 

everyone knows RN got it wrong tactically, and with personal playing in the wrong positions. Was a gamble that did not pay off, hindsight is a wonderful thing. I know before the game, a lot of people were questioning how we were going to line up and who was playing where but in general, I would argue that a lot of fans seemed relatively happy with the attacking players that were on the pitch and that we were going to be having a go. We need to step back and look at the job Robbie has done since he has come in, where we were and where we are now. Can he take us further? Still deserves the chance IMO and calls for him to go after every defeat need to stop 

In the future I’d like to see us line up 4-3-3 v Rangers. Compact and solid without the ball but when we have the ball, have the composure to keep it with the front three all having pace and the ability to cause them problems either on the break or in 1v1 situations. We would have did much better last night if Devlin was fit, and also remember we do have Beni to come in who will make a massive difference! We seem to struggle to get the ball from the back up to the final third, we always try and play out and play football which is good, and we have defenders who take the ball but we need to work on getting controlled possession up the park. 

Last thing, what are we doing with Shankland, he is a striker or number 10, let’s play him there.

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, Haken said:

I think it was more Neilson's fault than the players.  It's the manager who decided to shoehorn players into positions they don't normally play, ahead of fit players who do normally play in those positions.  It not only backfired; it cold be a confidence damaging decision for a few players.

I'm a bit of  luddite when it comes to formation, but if even I'm moaning in the stands for Neilson to change the shape while we were still only a goal down, then something is wrong.

Yip. Feel good factor thrown away far too easily.

pettigrewsstylist
4 minutes ago, 5jambo1 said:

We played right into their hands. As much as we all want to have a go and be on the front foot, last night shows what happens when you do this all wrong. We were far too open and there were gaps everywhere for them to play in. As much as I hate to say it, they have got very good players and they are simply all individually better than all the hearts players. I personally think the only positive thing from last night was that it was only 3. 

everyone knows RN got it wrong tactically, and with personal playing in the wrong positions. Was a gamble that did not pay off, hindsight is a wonderful thing. I know before the game, a lot of people were questioning how we were going to line up and who was playing where but in general, I would argue that a lot of fans seemed relatively happy with the attacking players that were on the pitch and that we were going to be having a go. We need to step back and look at the job Robbie has done since he has come in, where we were and where we are now. Can he take us further? Still deserves the chance IMO and calls for him to go after every defeat need to stop 

In the future I’d like to see us line up 4-3-3 v Rangers. Compact and solid without the ball but when we have the ball, have the composure to keep it with the front three all having pace and the ability to cause them problems either on the break or in 1v1 situations. We would have did much better last night if Devlin was fit, and also remember we do have Beni to come in who will make a massive difference! We seem to struggle to get the ball from the back up to the final third, we always try and play out and play football which is good, and we have defenders who take the ball but we need to work on getting controlled possession up the park. 

Last thing, what are we doing with Shankland, he is a striker or number 10, let’s play him there.

Amen.

We were terrible and Rangers were decent but what chance have you got when you've got that blatantly bias referee in charge, SFA are a shambles to keep letting him anywhere near Sevco games.

LochcarronJambo
28 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

In the cold light of day... I still can't find much to console me. Scratching around I could say that a couple of players (especially Kingsley) had a really bad night, and at least Robbie's intentions were good with a very attacking line-up. However the big takeaway was our absolute naivety in thinking we could play football and build from the back against much better players in any circumstances, even at home. Mediocre sides come to Tynecastle knowing how we play and get right into us from the start, and we are often a goal down early and fighting to recover. 

We missed some players ( eg Halliday and Devlin) who have the battling qualities required and we played some players in unfamiliar  positions, and were caught in possession and gave the ball away far too easily, especially in the first half,

In the first ten minutes, especially against teams like Sevco but also against mediocre sides like Dundee United on Saturday, we should leave three men up on the half-way line and every time we get the ball we should lob the ball up and behind the opposition. They would need to leave at least four men back to cover, and we should only start the slow build-up ( which I like) when we have established decent possession in our own half. Trying to pass our way through Sevco from our own penalty box last night was suicidal.

Good post

13 hours ago, south morocco said:

Miles in front. I wouldn’t ever concede your second point though, weird 

How is it weird.

Their movement and delivery tore us apart.

On a bright note amongst the gloom doesn't look like we picked up any new injuries going into weekend. Maybe that was the objective before a ball was kicked last night. A lot of our previous injuries have been picked up in midfield so not having a midfield last night was a masterstroke !

I don't feel any better today than I did last night. That was brutal to watch. 

When a player has a bad game we often say 'he had a shocker'. Well we can safely say our manager had a shocker last night. What the hell he was thinking with that starting eleven I will never know. Kuol and Barrie McKay in central midfield? Mind boggling stuff. 

Every time we play Rangers we get humped in midfield. And he starts last night's game with ONE recognised midfielder(who is 35). He wants his arse kicked for that. 

Next time we play that lot there better be three central midfielders in there and we should probably be considering playing a back four with a wide midfielder in front of our right back to double up on Ryan Kent. His best games of the season must be against us.

We'll have to just put this behind us and move forward but lessons must be learned from last night. That simply wasn't good enough. 

Was a terrible team we put out with no    shape to it at all. 

Clark

Hill sibbick rowles 

Atkinson grant kio cochrane 

Snodgrass 

Shankland  Gino 

Was not hard to pick a team out that would have been harder to beat and better shape. Not a Robbie basher boy did he get it wrong!

Michael Stewart is as committed to Robbie as he vilified Levein. 

Imagine if Levein had picked that starting set up!!! 

Edited by colinmaroon

Tynecastle Valhalla

I am still raging about last night.

Hill and Kingsley in particular looked like amateur players.

It's just not good enough.

The formation should have been changed after 10 mins.

18 hours ago, Hearts007 said:

Oda needs to hit target man

Odd  needs to be played in the position he was brought in for. 

i wish jj was my dad
5 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

This slow ponderous play is killing us every game

There is a lot in your post I don't disagree with but this part is nonsense. Our points total confirms that.

We are drawing teams out who want to sit in and in the case of Hibs and Aberdeen we have leathered teams that have opened up against us. 

7 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I think calling out the players for poor passing and saying they were below par was spot on- they were.

He could have mentioned the formation,  and maybe will at some point but the players were shite, basic first touch and passing left them.

He praises the players and team regularly on winning runs and games so saying their pish when they are pish is perfectly acceptable .

I'm sure the players know this as well.

All his interviews concentrate on the team and that works both ways.

Kuol playing at all was ridiculous imo, but many posters had him in that position pre match, there is no way he can play up top on his own either, using him as a inside right forward type  makes sense imo.

Kuol also made several basic mistakes and was over whelmed by the game imo, I think he'll be used more as an impact sub for a bit.

But unless you play these new guys, how do you know?

Maybe email Hearts and say you demand an apology/ written response from from our manager for last night, it might make you feel better.

Good post. Kuol struggling to grasp the pace of the game here esp last night against a pretty formidable press. I think him and Shankland up front is worth trying and persevering with. 

3 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

On a bright note amongst the gloom doesn't look like we picked up any new injuries going into weekend. Maybe that was the objective before a ball was kicked last night. A lot of our previous injuries have been picked up in midfield so not having a midfield last night was a masterstroke !

Hill was injured. 

Ex member of the SaS

My biggest grip is not getting beat, but the fact that it was clear from the first 5 minutes things were not working. BUT, Robbie doesn't seem to see it. Can't see he needs to change things up and get different players on with different tactics. said before he is a one trick pony that doesn't have a plan B. We have been winning games with more luck that good play and he should have seen the problem last night and made changes long before the second went in and preferably before the first.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Clark

Hill sibbick rowles 

Snodgrass 

Shankland  Gino 

Was not hard to pick a team out that would have been harder to beat and better shape. Not a Robbie basher boy did he get it wrong!

Not a fan of 5 at the back but this is the team he should play on Saturday 👍🏽

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 hours ago, Tynecastle Valhalla said:

I am still raging about last night.

Hill and Kingsley in particular looked like amateur players.

It's just not good enough.

The formation should have been changed after 10 mins.

I must admit whilst Hill is a good centre back I was surprised at his lack of pace last night.

You need decent pace to play WB and the coaches must have known pace wasn’t his greatest asset. They must also have known the Barasic can put decent crosses in all night if not defended against well.

5 hours ago, johnking123 said:

Clark

Hill sibbick rowles 

Snodgrass 

Shankland  Gino 

That's the team that should have started ,with Kuol, Barry and Forrest as attacking options as the game unfolded 

Agreed. Formation/players played were not suited to sevco. More holes than swiss cheese. What's with McKay every game against old firm he gets the heebie jeebies. Still can't believe he didn't score that chance. VAR though caught out rangers yet again for cheating offside and diving which I was happy about. But our team looked like the team from 2 seasons ago. Pish. Robbie got it wrong again. He does this way too often against old firm. I switched the game of after the third goal. Absolute dug shite. The tippy tappy shite on defense got me so angry. How many times did we lose the ball. Even Zander had moments of lapsed concentration. 

i wish jj was my dad
13 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

My biggest grip is not getting beat, but the fact that it was clear from the first 5 minutes things were not working. BUT, Robbie doesn't seem to see it. Can't see he needs to change things up and get different players on with different tactics. said before he is a one trick pony that doesn't have a plan B. We have been winning games with more luck that good play and he should have seen the problem last night and made changes long before the second went in and preferably before the first.

How can he not have a plan B when he set up with the most ludicrous midfield in recent memory. When the penny dropped he changed the formation and put Cochrane in midfield to give us some industry. Then at half time brought on players who could actually play in those positions. 

Yes, he got it spectacularly wrong but your post is recycling the same nonsense. Try finding a plan B if you want to sound credible. 

Saw the starting line up and decided not to watch the game. Big Robbie fan, but wtf was that. 

Aggression was needed in midfield with Grant and Kio , which would allowed Snodgrass to do his thing. 

Pity Humphrys was Ill.

And for the love of God, play Shankland as a striker, he's not a number 10. 

Hearts last 7 games v Rangers:

Rangers 2-0 Hearts
Rangers 5-0 Hearts
Rangers 3-1 Hearts
Rangers 2-0 Hearts
Rangers 4-0 Hearts
Rangers 1-0 Hearts
Rangers 3-0 Hearts

Lost 7/7
agg. 20-1

playing the young Australian kid in midfield with Mackay has to be the craziest thing I have seen 

August Landmesser
2 minutes ago, mr fox said:

Rangers 2-0 Hearts
Rangers 5-0 Hearts
Rangers 3-1 Hearts
Rangers 2-0 Hearts
Rangers 4-0 Hearts
Rangers 1-0 Hearts
Rangers 3-0 Hearts

Lost 7/7
agg. 20-1

playing the young Australian kid in midfield with Mackay has to be the craziest thing I have seen 

This post also highlights how ludicrous our league set-up is too.

Eight games v the uglies every season, plus cups. 

It's bullshit.

LochcarronJambo
2 hours ago, August Landmesser said:

This post also highlights how ludicrous our league set-up is too.

Eight games v the uglies every season, plus cups. 

It's bullshit.

Totally agree…. Premier league of 10/12 teams gives the OF a distinct advantage , they are always 20/30/40 points ahead of the rest at seasons end….with an 18/20 team league just one game home & away to them for the rest of the teams gives the likes of us a much better opportunity of being far closer to them & a slip in games b y OF more costly- I realise they both have the financial might & its a mountain to climb but ffs the league is a recurring joke

On 02/02/2023 at 08:01, 1971fozzy said:

One of the worst aspects from last nights game (apart from the nonsensical lineup) was that just about every time we headed or tried anything with the ball we gave it away. It was torture to watch. Bad enough against them without giving up possession nearly every time.

I’m really a Robbie fan but even in the cold light of the morning what he set up last night was nothing short of a disgrace. Shoehorning players in unfamiliar positions whilst leaving 3 midfielders and a right back on the bench is incomprehensible in a game of such importance. Incompetence is being kind.  Folk where I sit were rightly baffled and a blind man could see that rangers would run all over us.

he threw his players under a bus make no mistake, especially the young lad from Newcastle. What the hell he must be thinking is anyone’s guess.

Says it all.

Ex member of the SaS
3 hours ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

How can he not have a plan B when he set up with the most ludicrous midfield in recent memory. When the penny dropped he changed the formation and put Cochrane in midfield to give us some industry. Then at half time brought on players who could actually play in those positions. 

Yes, he got it spectacularly wrong but your post is recycling the same nonsense. Try finding a plan B if you want to sound credible. 

Why did he wait until half time to make changes? He can't read a game and make changes quickly enough.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 hours ago, mr fox said:

Rangers 2-0 Hearts
Rangers 5-0 Hearts
Rangers 3-1 Hearts
Rangers 2-0 Hearts
Rangers 4-0 Hearts
Rangers 1-0 Hearts
Rangers 3-0 Hearts

Lost 7/7
agg. 20-1

Yet funnily enough before the game the majority view was he can’t just do the same as he has previously done against them as it hasn’t worked.

i wish jj was my dad
3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Why did he wait until half time to make changes? He can't read a game and make changes quickly enough.

He moved Cochrane into the middle after half an hour. Did you miss that?

Ex member of the SaS
8 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

He moved Cochrane into the middle after half an hour. Did you miss that?

Christ how hard do you try to back him up? It was obvious before the first goal ( 9 minutes) we were being over run and the defense could not make a pass. Waiting half an hour to make ONE small change to a system everyone and their dug could see was not working then waiting till half time to make the others.

i wish jj was my dad
2 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Christ how hard do you try to back him up? It was obvious before the first goal ( 9 minutes) we were being over run and the defense could not make a pass. Waiting half an hour to make ONE small change to a system everyone and their dug could see was not working then waiting till half time to make the others.

I completely blame Robbie for the set up and performance so I'm not sure hos you can suggest I am backing him up. I challenged your claim that he has no Plan B. He set up with a completely alien line up. Changed the formation in the first half and changed personnel in the second. By all means hold him to account for getting it badly wrong but you don't need to make stuff up 

1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I completely blame Robbie for the set up and performance so I'm not sure hos you can suggest I am backing him up. I challenged your claim that he has no Plan B. He set up with a completely alien line up. Changed the formation in the first half and changed personnel in the second. By all means hold him to account for getting it badly wrong but you don't need to make stuff up 

Exactly. I have no idea how the "no plan B" brainworm infected so many but it's completely baseless in reality.

Plan A was an utter disaster. Plan B wasn't nearly good enough either. Plan C got us up to mediocrity and that's about it. But that doesn't mean they didn't exist.

"Robbie's tactics were utter shite" is 100% accurate and there's no need to resort to this "no plan B" nonsense.

On 01/02/2023 at 22:46, Barack said:

When is the game for Kuol?

Wasn't Livingston apparently.

Not this, versus the 2nd best team in the league. By a mile.

Can't develop him much, by just playing him against the bottom two, or with 20 minutes left when they're knackered. Hardly worth the effort in bringing him there, in that case.

He's going to get tested far more week in, week out, against far better opponebts than Goldson, or Barisic, when he's back at Newcastle.

Needs to be subject to all types of games. Battles, cruising it, chasing his arse...

If our tactics were decent tonight, who's to say it would've been the game for him.

Got hung out to dry this evening. And tbqh, in the flashes he did have, deserved to stay on a lot longer than McKay did for instance.

It was never a game for him playing in that formation. He was terribly exposed and that would do nothing for the young guys confidence.

On 01/02/2023 at 22:45, JimmyCant said:

Certainly not in midfield trying to contain Kent Sakala and Tillman

Exactly and that was my point

gorgierulesapply88
11 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Exactly. I have no idea how the "no plan B" brainworm infected so many but it's completely baseless in reality.

Plan A was an utter disaster. Plan B wasn't nearly good enough either. Plan C got us up to mediocrity and that's about it. But that doesn't mean they didn't exist.

"Robbie's tactics were utter shite" is 100% accurate and there's no need to resort to this "no plan B" nonsense.

Neilson is not pro-active, or at least enough. He got it wrong Sunday, and again against Rangers. He needs to start taking the blame, his 'big' game record is abysmal. I expect to beat Hibs, that's a given.

gorgierulesapply88
40 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

It was never a game for him playing in that formation. He was terribly exposed and that would do nothing for the young guys confidence.

He lost the ball 5 times in 8 minutes due to the way Rangers where 'pressing'.

And partly because he's being asked to sit in and contain, and then play on the break. Same with 19 goals Shankland, played almost centre mid against Livi and Rangers. Neilson, done this with Boyce who was scoring goals too!

i wish jj was my dad
15 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

Yes. There is a desperation to throw shite at Robbie. On Wednesday, there was no need to make stuff up. He had a howler all by himself.