*** Offishul Hearts v Celtic October 22nd match thread ***

upgotheheads

I'm not wearing my unlucky Hearts socks and pants so I'm predicting a good old Leveinesque Tim skelping, press in packs, fight for loose balls and pepper the net with shots. Another 4-0, easy. 😐

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hearts007

• pettigrewsstylist

• Geoff Kilpatrick

• Bazzas right boot

1 minute ago, 132goals1958 said:

Whilst I will be there that feeling of resignation is disappointing as I too am less than enthused about going. High hopes pre season but its all gone a bit flat. Knew it was going to be tough but I expected a lot better performances than we have seen.

It just feels like we are playing teams that we dont have any chance of competing against every week. Relentless. Which in turn, affects us when we play teams we should compete against. Getting boring now.

44 minutes ago, Snorri1 said:

Would really just like us to look organised, get tight, be competitive and stay in the game for the first half. Build a bit belief and confidence.  Lose another soft early goal and it'll be a long afternoon.  Something that does give me a wee bit hope is that in recent matches we have created some outstanding chances. Maybe today can be the day we take one please Hearts ?

In spades

54 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Yeah it’s a bit deflating watching the approach we have taken at home to the OF and Europe. No question the teams are better than us but we put no pressure on them and let them play with the freedom of the park. We have been horses every time with that approach so hopefully we try something different today. Might end up the same result but come on give us something that at least gets us off our seat today.

That’s my thinking. Take our normal approach and take it to them attacking wise and close down like hell when they’re on the ball, if they pick us apart because of their millions worth of talent, so be it. Would rather lose 4-0 that way than 3-0 just sitting off and let them treat it like a training match. Main thing as always in these or the European fixtures is make them work for it. If they’re worth millions, make them show how. We haven’t done that this season at all.

The Goalscoring Knee
12 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

It just feels like we are playing teams that we dont have any chance of competing against every week. Relentless. Which in turn, affects us when we play teams we should compete against. Getting boring now.

It's damage limitation until we get to the break  and there seems to be the assumption that we'll then just be able to pick up where we were before the wheels started to come off. Not sure it'll be as straightforward as that, sadly.

20 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I'll go in hope, but in all honesty feeling is we'll lose, potentially by a heavy scoreline. It still frightens/saddens me a little just how little we learned from our game against them on 17 December 2017, a game we won 4-0, a game where we outplayed them totally and could have won by more, a game where we set up to attack and were rewarded for not taking to he field with a defensive set up hoping for a draw at best

I get this but, milinkovic was unplayable that day, it’s hard to see anything like that in the current batch of players we have 

Montague H Withnail
20 minutes ago, Gorgi1874 said:

I'm not wearing my unlucky Hearts socks and pants so I'm predicting a good old Leveinesque Tim skelping, press in packs, fight for loose balls and pepper the net with shots. Another 4-0, easy. 😐

Not wearing unlucky pants is defo the way to fight for loose balls. I think everyone must look out their lucky gear today. 

There has to be a hell of lot of work done to protect the wide areas where Celtic will go time and again. Can't imagine we play a high line in defence so less over the top. Maybe. 

The Goalscoring Knee

Think the last time I was truly confident about beating Celtic was in the 1980s. Would love us to convert one of the chances we seem to make in the first two minutes but I'm not sure I could take it if we tried to sit on the lead for the next 88.

Still, cracked Wordle in 2 today, so I'm taking that as an omen (not really - the usual four-goal cakewalk for them)

We’ve got people saying put Connor Smith at right back against Jota or any of their other multi million pound wingers :facepalm:

Edited by King prawn

3 minutes ago, King prawn said:

We’ve got people saying put Connor Smith at right back against Jota or any of their other multi million pound wingers :facepalm:

Who would you play at RB. 

352/3511 where the 5 is effectively 5 covering the width of the pitch with emphasis on defence. No wide players. Just Shank land and Humphrys up front or Humphrys and Ginnelly. 

Edited by Riccarton3

Just now, GinRummy said:

Who then?

Sibbick, Smith or Halliday if fit, Forrest even. You’re telling me you wouldn’t have any of those 4 ahead of Connor Smith?

I have the same feeling about this game as I do about the game where we won 4-0 against them. I went into that game convinced we would lose heavily, and was borderline depressed walking to the stadium, but was very pleasantly surprised! So, you never know, although that was about a once in a hundred year event. I think we'll get battered today and if we keep it under three goals against well be doing well. As such, we should pursue a scorched earth policy and injure as many Celtic players as possible.

Bazzas right boot

One thing we should do is shoot more. 

Joe Hart is like a fifa 97 goalie , great with anything 10 yards in, but shots from around the Box distance can go right through him.

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

One thing we should do is shoot more. 

Joe Hart is like a fifa 97 goalie , great with anything 10 yards in, but shots from around the Box distance can go right through him.

Hearts have an unbelievable reluctance to shoot. It's infuriating. We seem to want to walk it into the goals despite not having the players to do so. Just ****ing shoot!!

7 minutes ago, King prawn said:

Sibbick, Smith or Halliday if fit, Forrest even. You’re telling me you wouldn’t have any of those 4 ahead of Connor Smith?

I’m not telling you anything. Was just asking who you’d play. I’d think Sibbick would be the best choice out of a load of poor options. 

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Who would you play at RB. 

Sibbick,  Smith,  even Halliday. 

If any young player starts it should be an attacking one, nothing to lose for them.

34 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

That’s my thinking. Take our normal approach and take it to them attacking wise and close down like hell when they’re on the ball, if they pick us apart because of their millions worth of talent, so be it. Would rather lose 4-0 that way than 3-0 just sitting off and let them treat it like a training match. Main thing as always in these or the European fixtures is make them work for it. If they’re worth millions, make them show how. We haven’t done that this season at all.

Exactly we’ve been beat loads over the years by the OF and it’s always tough to take but if we’ve had a go at them got stuck in and been beaten by better players then that’s football. If we stand off them and let them pick us apart like they will inevitably do then it’s dreadful to watch and gets the fans backs up. I don’t expect us to beat them every time but at least run for every ball tackle and show some fight for the jersey. Feels like we haven’t had that in a long time.

Not expecting much but my only hope is we get stuck in & don't lie down to them. A good team performance, keeping it tight and some semblance of a game plan would be pleasing. 4,4,1,1

Forsake width, have everybody fighting to get back possession, leaving Gino up front on his own, maybe catching them out with a ball over the top now & again. 

Clark

Sibbick, Smith, Kingsley, Cochrane

Grant, Kio, Devlin, Halliday

Humphreys

Ginelly

I wrote a note in my journal on the way back from the game. It simply read.....bugger. 😄

Christ, people, cheer up, be positive. 1-0 to the Mighty.

7 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Great weather NOT, pissed down all week, ach well, plenty drinking water, must be great going to games in Italy 

and Spain.

Got ringing walking from haymarket to Murray field sport bar. 

Howdy Doody Jambo
17 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Season starts on Thursday. Let’s try and get out of this with some positivity. 

Season started in July 

Not going in with any expectation of winning. Fully expect a hammering and plenty of dodgy calls ignored by VAR. Anything else than that will be a pleasant surprise.

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

We don’t have the personnel available to cover every position with an ideal established player in that position. I think Smith would give us something at right back. Not ideal but we’ve seen Sibbick there and Jota or whoever else they play wide left will take him to the cleaners. ITs not an easy position to select for us so put someone versatile, quick and athletic in there for me.

I get what your saying but Smith has no experience of playing there from what I know so to put him there against Celtic could be a disaster waiting to happen. If Sibbick is available then he at least has played the position before. 

Fozzyonthefence
21 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Season starts on Thursday. Let’s try and get out of this with some positivity. 

Nah, season starts a week tomorrow.  Thursday is irrelevant other than a few quid, certainly pretty meaningless in a competitive sense and for the fans. 

6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’m not telling you anything. Was just asking who you’d play. I’d think Sibbick would be the best choice out of a load of poor options. 

The back 4 against them in the 4-0 win was Brandon M Smith Berra and Connor Randall at left back - there’s always a chance :lol: 

think Neilson's plan will be to sit in and defend for  0-0 at h/t, keep it the same for 30 mins into 2nd half then have a go last 15

Edited by Hearts007

Just now, King prawn said:

The back 4 against them in the 4-0 win was Brandon M Smith Berra and Connor Randall at left back - there’s always a chance :lol: 

Two right backs then. Maybe repeat the show with our all left back defence. 😂

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Season started in July 

Well that’s really the correct answer of course.  Anything other than a hammering today is a bonus, I think most of us would agree.  Ross County next weekend is a big game, need to get back to winning ways again and get points on the board. 

The Goalscoring Knee
3 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

think Neilson's plan will be to sit in and defend for  0-0 at h/t, keep it the same for 30 mins into 2nd half then have a go last 15

Einstein's definiton of insanity, then 😉

TBF. There's a quarter of the season gone and we're only a baw hair from third place. A few extra million in the bank, and a squad big enough to get us through a Scottish winter. 

5 minutes ago, Section Q said:

TBF. There's a quarter of the season gone and we're only a baw hair from third place. A few extra million in the bank, and a squad big enough to get us through a Scottish winter. 

The squad hasn’t got us through the first 3 months of the season. We’ve got a decent 1st 11 and one or two extra. If we don’t keep key players fit, which looks more unlikely every game, we are going to get worse not better. 

Edited by GinRummy