***Official Heart of Midlothian v Fiorentina match thread***

Bazzas right boot

StirlingJambo

We should be going for this mob tonight. In their last 11 games away they’ve lost 9 and drew 2. Pressing and putting the pressure on at the right times will be key. Mon the Jambos.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Cruyff

• Taffin

• Harry Potter

Ex member of the SaS
3 minutes ago, StirlingJambo said:

We should be going for this mob tonight. In their last 11 games away they’ve lost 9 and drew 2. Pressing and putting the pressure on at the right times will be key. Mon the Jambos.

Yes, MY main worry is Robbie quoted in the Scotsman saying we must not lose. If he sets out to totally defend we WILL lose. We need the mid field tackling and the forwards getting stuck into their defense. Stop them playing in and around our box.

heisenberg86
2 hours ago, Homme said:

These are dream matches for younger me. Fiorentina were my second team growing up and watching them on Channel 4. Batistuta 💜

We get something tonight and it'll be unreal.

Batistuta seemed to only score worldies, 30 yard zinger every week on football Italia! 

7 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Yes, MY main worry is Robbie quoted in the Scotsman saying we must not lose. If he sets out to totally defend we WILL lose. We need the mid field tackling and the forwards getting stuck into their defense. Stop them playing in and around our box.

No he isn't, quite the opposite

2 minutes ago, db211833 said:

No he isn't, quite the opposite

"Neilson rejected the idea Thursday's fixture is a must-not-lose match."

"No, I don't think so, he said. “We are sitting in a good position with three points already and we still have a number of games left. It's a game we are looking forward to. We would like to take three points but we understand it's going to be a very difficult game"

Edited by db211833

Think this will be a tough game tonight. I know they aren't in great form, however their quality is still a level above us and we need to remember that if we do lose tonight. They drew with Juve a few weeks back so anyone who looks at their results and thinks they are poor will probably be in for a reality check tonight. I would imagine they will be like Istanbul and be very comfortable in possession. We need to press them at the right time and make sure we retain the ball much better. It's something we haven't done well this season, been very sloppy in possession. The only time I can remember us being in control of the ball and playing great stuff was the first half v Zurich. Halkett missing is without doubt a massive blow, we are missing both first choice centre half's which will cause any teams an issue. Got to defend as a team better though, not just the back 4 or back 3. We have conceded some very avoidable goals recently by giving up possession cheaply or not marking properly from set pieces. As always in these games, first goal is crucial, if we get it the place will be rocking. 

Mate has 2 tickets available. Only looking for price of one. They are in Section G so apologies in advance 😁

Pm me if interested and I'll pass on his contact details.

Apologies if not allowed to post this 😁

23 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

13 minutes ago, db211833 said:

"Neilson rejected the idea Thursday's fixture is a must-not-lose match."

"No, I don't think so, he said. “We are sitting in a good position with three points already and we still have a number of games left. It's a game we are looking forward to. We would like to take three points but we understand it's going to be a very difficult game"

Made me laugh 😄 

Much like a game against Rangers or Celtic we need to play above our usual levels and hope that they have a really bad day 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

The (obvious) point is that the only thing to go by as regards how we approach this match is by analysing Fiorentina's recent matches, both home & away and looking for ways to exploit their weaknesses, which they undoubtedly have.

Wheather or not we manage to pull it off remains to be seen and we have enough issues of our own to factor in.

Either way, it's not so much 'replicating', or 'copying', other teams as learning what they did well and figuring out how we utilise our own players so as to have the same sort of impact.

God forbid that we simply, ahem, play our own game, let them worry about us, just get stuck in, and believe our way to undoubted victory. 😉

Yip- agreed, but I wouldn't put much hope in the fact that they haven't won in 12 away games given the quality of opponent. 

This game is irrelevant in the context of the other away games imo.

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Barack said:

Do we expect to lose against them? Probably.

Did RFS expect to lose against them? Almost certainly.

Can we get at least a point? Possibly.

Will this place be a hot mess regardless? Absolutely.

Will people leave early?

Good fun for the seat counter if they do.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I didn't say copy or replicate though. I said I hoped the management team found a few gems...could be something as small as how to set up against them at corners for example. At no point have I said we're at the level of the teams they've failed to beat. I never said David and Goliath, that's your words. Nor did I say none were draws.

Istanbul, Empoli and Twente all have significantly lesser squads value wise in comparison to Fiorentina which is the crux of it...lesser teams can, and do compete with better teams regularly and in this instance it's recent and relevant to the team were playing tonight, colour me crazy for thinking that's something worthwhile for a sports management team to look into and see if there's anything to take from it.

If you want to walk through life thinking you and Hearts already know it all, that's fine, we can agree to disagree. I like to learn from others and think Hearts can too.

I'm not setting myself up for a fall, it wi be really, really difficult to get something from the two games. I'm simply looking at teams who've managed it and taking hope from that. 'Whether you think you can, or you can't, you're right' type thinking.

Your use of the word underdog certainly painted a picture of David v goliath type scenerio when in fact it's a pretty level playing field. 

I just don't think their away form Has any bearing on tonight's game. 

The quality of opposition they have faced are levels above us so imo its irrelevant how theses teams got a result. 

We will of course review these games as we would any opponent and look for opportunities ( that goes without saying) but the way, for example Istanbul beat Fiorentina is not something in general that is relevant to us.

Anyway, hopefully we can get a result and make it no wins in 13 for them.

Edited by Bazzas right boot

The Real Maroonblood
Just now, Barack said:

No excuse. Even if being pumped 0-5.

I expect better from those in attendance.

And from the mods...

:lol:👍

Lord Beni of Gorgie

In the games we have lost, I dont think our shape has been particularly good in terms of space offered to the opposition, I think its important tonight there is a balance to the team that allows us to shut down angles for the opposition to attack better. Quite ragged at times this year, first half against RFS was a good example of what not to do, compared to the 2nd half of what to do

Hello!

I'm a swedish guy staying in Edinburgh who's going to my first Hearts game tonight. I have two questions:

1. Do I need to have a printed ticket or does the PDF work?

2. Is there anywhere you recommend going to before the game? Like is there any classic pre-game pubs for Hearts supporters?

Looking forward to the game and thankful for any advice ✌️

No Idle Talk
2 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Well done!!

i’m just leaving my house now to get a train at 09:58 ….

We don’t want loyalty points just want the team to give 100+% and hopefully get a result that we all deserve ..

We’re on our way …

♥️♥️♥️♥️

Touch wood mate. Touch wood. 

Hope your journey goes smoothly. 😊

4 minutes ago, TeddyK said:

Hello!

I'm a swedish guy staying in Edinburgh who's going to my first Hearts game tonight. I have two questions:

2. Is there anywhere you recommend going to before the game? Like is there any classic pre-game pubs for Hearts supporters?

PDF will do mate. A few pubs round about the stadium but will fill up quickly, Tynecastle Arms, Athletic Arms, Stratford's to name a few. There is also the huge Gorgie Suite under the Gorgie Stand open before the game, not a traditional pub but should be a good atmosphere, free to get in just show your ticket.

Enjoy the game.

2 minutes ago, raider1874 said:

Is it chucking it down through in Edinburgh as much as it is in Glasgow?

it’s blowing a gale but not much rain

Edited by sprinbox98

46 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Sorry no time to read article and went with the usual click bait headline.

They do that deliberately. Often, they'll make out that a manager is absolutely raging post-match; but when you read the actual words the manager has given a sensible assessment.

Can see us taking an absolute humping tonight. No quality CB will hurt us. Cant believe we didnt sign a third experienced CB.

Thought Police
15 minutes ago, TeddyK said:

Hello!

9 minutes ago, graygo said:

PDF will do mate. A few pubs round about the stadium but will fill up quickly, Tynecastle Arms, Athletic Arms, Stratford's to name a few. There is also the huge Gorgie Suite under the Gorgie Stand open before the game, not a traditional pub but should be a good atmosphere, free to get in just show your ticket.

Enjoy the game.

Also Gray's Mill and the Shandon where apparently folk will be marching from.

Jambo 4 Ever
3 minutes ago, Negan said:

Can see us taking an absolute humping tonight. No quality CB will hurt us. Cant believe we didnt sign a third experienced CB.

Agreed 

yeh should have signed another cb and a striker who can score goals 

will be lucky to get 4th this season at this rate 

3 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

In step? 

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Agreed 

yeh should have signed another cb and a striker who can score goals 

will be lucky to get 4th this season at this rate 

Fourth in the group or fourth in the whole tournament 

Harry Potter
1 hour ago, StirlingJambo said:

this, we have to attack and put them under pressure from the 1st minute, they are fragile.

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip- agreed, but I wouldn't put much hope in the fact that they haven't won in 12 away games given the quality of opponent. 

This game is irrelevant in the context of the other away games imo.

I must admit to not having followed Fiorentina's away record but, my-oh-my!

Surely there'll be choruses of, "Sacked in the morning" tonight, along with chants of, "Vincenzo Italiano OOt" from the Fiorentina fans?

@Stuart Jack Only jesting. 😎

12 minutes ago, Thought Police said:

People attempting to make an atmosphere? FOR SHAME!!

I'd bite your hand off for a draw right now. However, after a few pre match drinks I will believe we will win,  it's the hope that kills you. Football is all about hopes and dreams why else would thousands spend a fortune travelling to Florence next week? You never know I will never forget beating Bayern at Tynecastle or more recently slaughtering Celtics invincibles 4-0. HHGH.

1 minute ago, EIEIO said:

I'd bite your hand off for a draw right now. However, after a few pre match drinks I will believe we will win,  it's the hope that kills you. Football is all about hopes and dreams why else would thousands spend a fortune travelling to Florence next week? You never know I will never forget beating Bayern at Tynecastle or more recently slaughtering Celtics invincibles 4-0. HHGH.

Or scoring at Anfield. That's what it's all about.

❤️❤️G❤️

25 minutes ago, sprinbox98 said:

it’s blowing a gale but not much rain

I only just almost got blown off my feet with a gust whilst alighting the bus. Hopefully it dies down by tonight as wind can ruin a game.

13 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

this, we have to attack and put them under pressure from the 1st minute, they are fragile.

Having watched their most recent match v Atalanta, I honestly hope that we can test their 'keeper. Craig Gordon he is not.

I live in hope. 😎

Bazzas right boot
16 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

I must admit to not having followed Fiorentina's away record but, my-oh-my!

Surely there'll be choruses of, "Sacked in the morning" tonight, along with chants of, "Vincenzo Italiano OOt" from the Fiorentina fans?

@Stuart Jack Only jesting. 😎

If they got beat of us and given their current form it could put their manager under pressure. 

However,  it's Heart's. 

We'll likely give them their first away win in ages and give them some confidence to batter us next week and qualify with ease.

2 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Having watched their most recent match v Atalanta, I honestly hope that we can test their 'keeper. Craig Gordon he is not.

I live in hope. 😎

The guy you are talking about is their No1 but Gollini, who had a shocker in the Istanbul match, has played both Conference League matches so be interesting to see who starts tonight.

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

If they got beat of us and given their current form it could put their manager under pressure. 

However,  it's Heart's. 

We'll likely give them their first away win in ages and give them some confidence to batter us next week and qualify with ease.

You are not giving off many positive vibes today :lol:

Tonight is huge....weve lost 7 out of the last 10 games.....A win could put us back in the rails - BUT will RN actually go for it ?...as when playing bigger teams he has us sitting deep and trundling passes sideways and back - lacking confidence in his own teams ability (he doesn't need to....we do have a good bunch - let them off the leash !!!) 👍🏻🤞 eg is Fiorentina currently really any better than Zurich ??? HAVE A GO

Jambo 4 Ever
19 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Let's get behind the team for the whole game......!

And don’t leave early just because we are losing 

support the team to the final whistle

Bazzas right boot
Just now, busbyfth said:

Tonight is huge....weve lost 7 out of the last 10 games.....A win could put us back in the rails - BUT will RN actually go for it ?...as when playing bigger teams he has us sitting deep and trundling passes sideways and back - lacking confidence in his own teams ability (he doesn't need to....we do have a good bunch - let them off the leash !!!) 👍🏻🤞 eg is Fiorentina currently really any better than Zurich ??? HAVE A GO

Have a go.🤣🤣🤣

KyleLafferty

Try your best not to groan at mistakes tonight. Absolute bored to tears of Hearts fans not backing the team through shit spells. Mistakes happen and they are good side. Get right behind for 90 mins regardless of the scoreline.

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Jambo 4 Ever said:

And don’t leave early just because we are losing 

support the team to the final whistle

All you do is moan. I've not seen you post one supportive post.

You go missing after wins

Put yourself and your advice in the bin.

50 minutes ago, TeddyK said:

Hello!

Try going to Haymarket - Pubs will not be so crammed and theres a decent range of differing pub types and beer styles . From there its an approx 12-15 minute walk to Tynecastle or a 5 minute bus ride though busses might be crammed. 🍺

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Luckies1874 said:

You are not giving off many positive vibes today :lol:

We're playing Fiorentina. 

We can pull of a shock, but if we don't get battered by 3/4 I'll be surprised. 

Always a chance. 

Score 1st and it's game on. 

Concede 1st and early.....

3 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Have a go.🤣🤣🤣

well  we could always go into our shell and play the ball left/right/back all night if thats the preference ?  The Italians are nowt special. Doesnt have to be all out - just the same style as against Zurich before it went T1T5 up 

Harry Potter
11 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

However,  it's Heart's. 

Cheers for that 😧.

1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

We're playing Fiorentina. 

We can pull of a shock, but if we don't get battered by 3/4 I'll be surprised. 

Always a chance. 

Score 1st and it's game on. 

Concede 1st and early.....

I get where you are coming from but I also think some are getting a bit carried away at how good they are or might be. This is not peak Fiorentina from their halcyon days. 30 shots or not they failed to beat as poor an opposition as you are going to get at the group stage, FC Riga and like us got turned over by Istanbul. They are not free scoring and we should not be going out scared of them. Of course they have more ability and probably strength/pace etc than us which points to us being outclassed but I give us more chance than I did on Saturday and I think both the Old Firm would beat them over 2 legs so who knows. I just hope we don't gift them anything and can get as close to the first 45 minute v Zurich at Tynecastle, as possible, because that is what we should be consistently aspiring to be. Their attitude to this is also going to be interesting as it's crunch time in respect to getting points on the board. I live in hope that we can produce a big game performance. 

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Official Heart of Midlothian v Fiorentina match thread***