***Official Heart of Midlothian v Fiorentina match thread***

Bazzas right boot

Rocky jamboa
1 hour ago, Yoda said:

Exactly.

We said the same about Zurich.

Zurich were there for the taking. They were nothing special. Unfortunately, a stupid dive by Grant and a lack of belief cost us in that tie.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Cruyff

• Taffin

• Harry Potter

Need to score first to stand any chance , fingers crossed. Based on their European results they are not great either , probably better than us but we have home advantage. Achiles heal is our defending without Halkett and Rowles.

Who knows probale loss but I'd be happy with a decent performance even happier with a decent result.

Howdy Doody Jambo

I just don't think 3 at the back is the best formation for us to play at Tynecastle  and have never liked it, would rather we go with 4-2-3-1, 4-3-3

or a 4-4-2

Just keep it simple at the back 

I would rather we protected the defence by mobility in midfield with players that are more confident with the ball at their feet and limit the opposition when they have possession 

We've got to go for it 

pettigrewsstylist
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Imagine Haring with his open parachute chasing their midfielders.

Our inability to defend a cross ball. 

Gino running into folk

smith getting roasted for pace.

Mckay getting bullied 

Grant falling over trying to win a pk.

Shankland wondering about isolated. 

Devlin running about like a decapitated chicken in it's last moments of life. 

If we concede early we could get battered tbh.

However,  you never know. 

6-3 Hearts. 

You forgot Cochrane bottling it.

Hungry hippo

Least confident I've ever been for a home game. We miss Halkett so much that i cant see our defence coping with a team of their quality.

If we can nick a goal we have a chance though.

pettigrewsstylist

"Fiorentina head to Edinburgh having failed to win any of their last 12 away matches across all competitions, a poor run dating back to April."

0-3 it is then!

Rocky jamboa
5 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Least confident I've ever been for a home game. We miss Halkett so much that i cant see our defence coping with a team of their quality.

If we can nick a goal we have a chance though.

That's the spirit!! 😂😂

I think the last few weeks (bar the 2 wins) have got most folk feeling the same way. Hence why it's key we get right at them from the start and get the fans right up for it.

The two home euro games have not had the usual European night tynecastle atmosphere and think that's due to us starting off slow and timid. 

I doubt the Italians will be used to someone being right in their faces. Attacking means we can be less reliant on our leaky defence.

Hungry hippo
20 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

That's the spirit!! 😂😂

I think the last few weeks (bar the 2 wins) have got most folk feeling the same way. Hence why it's key we get right at them from the start and get the fans right up for it.

The two home euro games have not had the usual European night tynecastle atmosphere and think that's due to us starting off slow and timid. 

I doubt the Italians will be used to someone being right in their faces. Attacking means we can be less reliant on our leaky defence.

Yeah absolutely. I'm one of the most optimistic people in general but really not feeling good about tomorrow. Having said that, I was sh1tting myself before the 5-1 final so previous worries have been unnecessary in the past!

That-Day-In-May

Anybody have any spare tickets going for tomorrow? Wasn’t sure whether I’d manage the night off work but can’t miss this! Happy to meet anywhere around the ground before kick off if there’s any going

11 hours ago, ramrod said:

Like that back 3 with Atkinson and Cochrane wing backs 

Cammy , Kio and Grant in a midfield 3  with McKay in behind  Humphries would be my call up top , although Shankland could replace any of the 2 and I wouldn't be overly annoyed 

A midfield 3 is a must for this one though  

100% agree,

We need 3 midfielders In their to man mark their 3 man midfield and match them up, I think humphrys is a good shout up top he wins more in the air than shankland and is quicker, I personally would think about putting Gino in behind him, McKay never shows up in big matches imo.

7 hours ago, pettigrewsstylist said:

"Fiorentina head to Edinburgh having failed to win any of their last 12 away matches across all competitions, a poor run dating back to April."

0-3 it is then!

Without looking back at those results, presumably some have been against some pretty bang average sides. Would hope the management team have found a few gems from how those teams approached the games.

Gorgie_Rules
14 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

3-5-2. Contain and counter.

Smith

Neilson

Kingsley

Atkinson

Devlin

Kio

Grant

Cochrane

Humphrys

Gino

Its been real unfortunate that we are going into our biggest European home game in years with 2 full backs and a 19 year old playing in the centre of defence for us. Nothing against the 3 playing as they have been great for us but Neilson obviously still has a lot to learn and the other two are clearly not naturally commanding centre backs.

The long term injuries to Rowles and Halkett, and a few off performances from Sibbick killing the fans faith in him almost immediately has made things real difficult for us at the worst possible time.

That said, a reshuffle in midfield to a compact 3 may offer some hope.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

Midloth_Iain

We need the 'spirit of Bayern' tonight.

Ugly but dogged performance, free kick with 15 minutes to go.

Kingsley

1-0 Hearts 

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Do we expect to lose against them? Probably.

Did RFS expect to lose against them? Almost certainly.

Can we get at least a point? Possibly.

Will this place be a hot mess regardless? Absolutely.

Pretty much sums it up. 

1 hour ago, Barack said:

Totally ............................................ especially your last point 😄 

These are the games that we were fighting to play last season . Of course we are under dogs , they are a Serie A club full with better players than us 

After the battle we had to get there , I am really enjoying us playing good teams in European competition , and I will never understand how people can be so looking forward to it , only to start flinging their toys around when we do exactly as any bookie in the land would have expected us to

Bazzas right boot
9 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Zurich were there for the taking. They were nothing special. Unfortunately, a stupid dive by Grant and a lack of belief cost us in that tie.

Lack of belief 🤣🤣🤣

Grant cost us the chance of a win.

Bazzas right boot
46 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Without looking back at those results, presumably some have been against some pretty bang average sides. Would hope the management team have found a few gems from how those teams approached the games.

You should probably check.

Twente, Betis, Juve, Milan, inter, Istanbul, bologna, Atlanta to name a few.

Aye, we can just copy them

Their last away win- Napoli. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

These are dream matches for younger me. Fiorentina were my second team growing up and watching them on Channel 4. Batistuta 💜

We get something tonight and it'll be unreal.

8 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You should probably check.

Twente, Betis, Juve, Milan, inter, Istanbul, bologna to name a few.

Aye, we can just copy them

Their last away win- Napoli. 

I did actually have a look in the end. A few of them have a lot lower wage bills and squad values than Fiorentina so I guess there must be something to look to.

The on paper underdogs have done a decent job stopping Fiorentina over those 12 away games. It would be folly to not think we can learn something from them. Hard to accept for someone who thinks we're always right I guess.

Edited by Taffin

I don't think Fiorentina are a patch on Istanbul and we were pushing them hard for an equaliser until Grant got sent off.   The way I see it a win tonight and we will have a strong grip on 2nd place.  

Midloth_Iain
1 minute ago, TexasAndy said:

I don't think Fiorentina are a patch on Istanbul and we were pushing them hard for an equaliser until Grant got sent off.   The way I see it a win tonight and we will have a strong grip on 2nd place.  

Grant got sent off against Zurich. Istanbul were on a different planet to us. 

13 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Agreed. We could have played with 12 men and they still would have knocked it round us with ease.

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I did actually have a look in the end. A few of them have a lot lower wage bills and squad values than Fiorentina so I guess there must be something to look to.

The on paper underdogs have done a decent job stopping Fiorentina over those 12 away games. It would be folly to not think we can learn something from them. Hard to accept for someone who thinks we're always right I guess.

The underdogs.. teams in the same league? 12 away games as I mentioned- juve,  inter, Milan,  various European sides that I mentioned - under dogs.

You on the disco biscuits?

13 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Fiorentina currently don't seem any better than Zurich. They're there to be got at, I reckon we can do it.

2-1 tonight and 1-1 in the away leg 🙌🙌

2 hours ago, Barack said:

That is our ray of hope.

RFS getting a point off them at their patch.

No Idle Talk

On the train to Edinburgh now. Getting excited. I'd be more excited if Craig Halkett was fit but excited nonetheless. Will be great to be at Tynecastle again. ❤️

Just now, Bazzas right boot said:

The underdogs.. teams in the same league? 12 away games as I mentioned- juve,  inter, Milan,  various European sides that I mentioned - under dogs.

You on the disco biscuits?

I didn't day they were all underdogs. Some were, such as Empoli, Bologna, Twente, Istanbul so at least a third of those 12 games.

Are you actually suggesting teams in the same league can't be an underdog? So you agree with people that we can compete with Rangers and Celtic now given we're not underdogs?

Your own logic doesn't even make sense.

Are you arguing that we can't learn anything from the underdogs who've got a result in Fiorentina's last 12 away games? Because that's all I suggested.

If that's what you're arguing, fair enough, but it's mental.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Smith

Neilson

Kingsley

Atkinson

Devlin

Kio

Grant

Cochrane

Humphrys

Gino

That’s a good team but taking Shankland off early at the weekend indicates he will start, as will McKay I think. 

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Smith

Neilson

Kingsley

Atkinson

Devlin

Kio

Grant

Cochrane

Humphrys

Gino

Given there's no Halkett, then this please 👍

On 01/10/2022 at 16:55, Bazzas right boot said:

A match day thread with a nice sound to it. 

On to Thursday. 

After a humbling defeat today, I'm going for a 2-2.

Anybody  got a spare ticket for tonight 

25 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

On the train to Edinburgh now. Getting excited. I'd be more excited if Craig Halkett was fit but excited nonetheless. Will be great to be at Tynecastle again. ❤️

Well done!!

i’m just leaving my house now to get a train at 09:58 ….

We don’t want loyalty points just want the team to give 100+% and hopefully get a result that we all deserve ..

We’re on our way …

♥️♥️♥️♥️

Bazzas right boot
23 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I didn't day they were all underdogs. Some were, such as Empoli, Bologna, Twente, Istanbul so at least a third of those 12 games.

Are you actually suggesting teams in the same league can't be an underdog? So you agree with people that we can compete with Rangers and Celtic now given we're not underdogs?

Your own logic doesn't even make sense.

Are you arguing that we can't learn anything from the underdogs who've got a result in Fiorentina's last 12 away games? Because that's all I suggested.

If that's what you're arguing, fair enough, but it's mental.

It's hardly David v goliath stuff and a few were draws. 

If you think we can copy teams like Empoli or Twente  then I think that's mental.

Istanbul...ffs they just battered us 4-0 at Tynecastle, they are far better than us.

We can always compete but their away games are all at a higher level than we are at and if you don't acknowledge that and think we can look at these teams and results and somehow replicate it then that's just crazy.

You seem to be setting yourself up for a fall.

Anyway,  let's hope we can turn into Istanbul for a night,  it would be gravy.

Fxxx the SPFL

Just spoke to a couple of Fiorentina fans near Waverley nice lads late fifties we’re  on train to Melrose for funeral then back up on five train in time for a quick bevvy in the Ardmillan 

3-5-2 I'm not convinced or keen on. 4-3-3 imho would suit us better.

It'll be pass, pass, pass without purpose and lose a silly one to an average cross or set piece. I obviously hope not but sadly it comes to fruition all too often.

Big games we seem too passive and without fire. Please Hearts change it up, have a go and bring the crowd with you.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Hearts-Fiorentina | UEFA Europa Conference League 2022/23 | UEFA.com

Theres a predictor . If we try really hard we should win regardless of their much better players 

Predictor | UEFA Europa League | UEFA.com

Got to believe really hard as well.

8 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

If you think we can copy teams like Empoli or Twente  then I think that's mental.

Istanbul...ffs they just battered us 4-0 at Tynecastle, they are far better than us.

We can always compete but their away games are all at a higher level than we are at and if you don't acknowledge that and think we can look at these teams and results and somehow replicate it then that's just crazy.

The (obvious) point is that the only thing to go by as regards how we approach this match is by analysing Fiorentina's recent matches, both home & away and looking for ways to exploit their weaknesses, which they undoubtedly have.

Wheather or not we manage to pull it off remains to be seen and we have enough issues of our own to factor in.

Either way, it's not so much 'replicating', or 'copying', other teams as learning what they did well and figuring out how we utilise our own players so as to have the same sort of impact.

God forbid that we simply, ahem, play our own game, let them worry about us, just get stuck in, and believe our way to undoubted victory. 😉

15 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I didn't say copy or replicate though. I said I hoped the management team found a few gems...could be something as small as how to set up against them at corners for example. At no point have I said we're at the level of the teams they've failed to beat. I never said David and Goliath, that's your words. Nor did I say none were draws.

Istanbul, Empoli and Twente all have significantly lesser squads value wise in comparison to Fiorentina which is the crux of it...lesser teams can, and do compete with better teams regularly and in this instance it's recent and relevant to the team were playing tonight, colour me crazy for thinking that's something worthwhile for a sports management team to look into and see if there's anything to take from it.

If you want to walk through life thinking you and Hearts already know it all, that's fine, we can agree to disagree. I like to learn from others and think Hearts can too.

I'm not setting myself up for a fall, it wi be really, really difficult to get something from the two games. I'm simply looking at teams who've managed it and taking hope from that. 'Whether you think you can, or you can't, you're right' type thinking.

5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Got to believe really hard as well.

Need to make sure our supporters are not over confident though .............................................. I am sure I do not need to tell you how much that affects the result on the pitch 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
22 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Hearts-Fiorentina | UEFA Europa Conference League 2022/23 | UEFA.com

Theres a predictor . If we try really hard we should win regardless of their much better players 

Predictor | UEFA Europa League | UEFA.com

I said Hearts on there couple days back, as I always will to non Hearts fans, back in the real world........not preparing any victory speeches :lol:

We_are_the_Hearts

Whoever is on defence hopefully they can show a bit of aggression and tackle. We seem to have adopted a stand off, non aggressive approach recently. Conceding loads of chances in the process.

4 minutes ago, YemenRoad said:

Hopefully we have something in the programme about Salvatori. His 2 longest club stints Hearts and Fiorentina 

👍👍

3 hours ago, Barack said:

Pretty much :lol:

I am more confident than most by the looks of it. I think if we can get Humphrys running at them and actually show a bit of composure on the ball we have a chance at nicking a goal. 

If we concede early it'll end up like Rangers on Saturday I feel.

6 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I said Hearts on there couple days back, as I always will to non Hearts fans, back in the real world........not preparing any victory speeches :lol:

Yip . I can not wait for the match either , but I am realistic enough to realise that we have little chance of a win .

Not impossible though , just really unlikely ....................................... it would go down as one of our greatest European results really

I just want to enjoy it . Unfortunately when we more than likely lose , this place will will be unreadable for people calling us shit and for the manager to go , so it will be group chats with more reasonable Hearts supporters in the aftermath for me

9 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Whoever is on defence hopefully they can show a bit of aggression and tackle. We seem to have adopted a stand off, non aggressive approach recently. Conceding loads of chances in the process.

Yeh I don't know what the plan was against Rangers but Neilson kept backing off and backing off the man running at him which was in turn playing 2 runners onside. Better off stepping out and putting pressure on the ball. If he beats you and scores then as long as you actually tried to tackle and win it and put him under pressure at least you have tried to shut it down. Backing off and giving him the option of an easy shot or an easy slide rule pass for a shot is just suicide.

I really want to be positive but after the Rangers game and how we leak goals. I'm finding it hard. But will still be screaming at the telly. Cmon the JTs

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Official Heart of Midlothian v Fiorentina match thread***