***Official Heart of Midlothian v Fiorentina match thread***

Bazzas right boot

gorgierulesapply88
Just now, Taffin said:

I think it's 1 from 2. Or 2 from 

Riga & Zurich I was counting so 2 in 4 is right.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Cruyff

• Taffin

• Harry Potter

8 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Riga & Zurich I was counting so 2 in 4 is right.

Yeh, and two pens. Riga were also a terrible team. Still good though.

I think Fiorentina will dominate possession though and we'll be playing on the counter. Out of possession and hold up or fast transitions aren't something I'd have down as strengths for Shankland .

Edited by Taffin

15 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I think Fiorentina will dominate possession though and we'll be playing on the counter. Out of possession and hold up or fast transitions aren't something I'd have down as strengths for Shankland .

We need to defend a whole lot better than we have the entire season or we will struggle to get anything. We seem to concede cheap goals every week and Saturday was no different. We were well in the game with Istanbul until we gifted them the first goal by giving up cheap possession in our own box. We then lost some horrific goals including a free header from a corner. I hope Halkett is back, that first goal at the weekend probably doesn't happen with him on the pitch. 

We_are_the_Hearts
22 minutes ago, Taffin said:

They have had more possession than any other team in Serie A this season so will dominate the ball. 

6 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

We need to defend a whole lot better than we have the entire season or we will struggle to get anything. We seem to concede cheap goals every week and Saturday was no different. We were well in the game with Istanbul until we gifted them the first goal by giving up cheap possession in our own box. We then lost some horrific goals including a free header from a corner. I hope Halkett is back, that first goal at the weekend probably doesn't happen with him on the pitch. 

Agreed. We're very poor at the back in general imo. Halkett would be a huge boost.

gorgierulesapply88
1 hour ago, Taffin said:

I'm hoping ambrabat and jovic are left at hame along with gollini and we stand a chance.

6 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

I'm hoping ambrabat and jovic are left at hame along with gollini and we stand a chance.

Will be very interesting to see what they do with their lineup. They have not made a good start to the season domestically or in the Conference League and the impression is that Serie A matters more. That isn't to say they can't beat us using their squad, of course they can but they played yesterday tea time, more than 24 hours after us and next week they don't actually play until Monday night (Lazio at home), nearly 30 hours after us. Clearly after their start in our group they will be targeting wins v us if they are indeed bothered about progressing but will already know they are likely only playing for 2nd pace behind Istanbul. The first goal is vital for us at Tynecastle, we can't afford to be passing up the chances of the Zurich home game.

pettigrewsstylist
59 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Looks like being a windy night on Thursday 

Gusts of 70mph expected 

Could act as a leveller. 

59 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Gusts of 70mph expected 

Aye ? Says 20mph winds on my BBC weather app.

pettigrewsstylist
2 hours ago, PapaShango said:

I would play Humphrys, with the exception of his debut he has been a real bright spark whenever he has played including his appearance against Istanbul. From what I have seen he is very good at driving forward with the ball and actually having the ability to take a full back on. Couple that with his physicality and ability in the air I would be playing him from the start, maybe in place of Forrest. I wouldn't play Haring, we need someone who can move the ball quickly and get it into forward areas, he just doesn't do that for me, far to slow in games like this and gets caught out far too often. Hopefully Halkett is back as if not we are in trouble with the defence which was a complete shambles on Saturday. 

All the selections forward of CH really depend on Halkets availabilty as shape and personell starting will change, i think, depending on this.

We do need to be prepared on the bench for him breaking down again tho, in case.

Watt-Zeefuik

Excited for this. Yes, we did not look good yesterday, but it's a big Italian team from Florence rocking up to Tynecastle. Should never let a bit of bad form spoil the enjoyment of an occasion like this.

I think Halks will be back and that will cure a lot of ills.

1 hour ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

Gollini (who is more likely to play this one) was a liability last time out although he has potential. Jovic lacking both fitness and confidence although he showed signs of improvement when he came on yesterday.

Ikone (winger) is suspended and Dodo (right wing back) is injured. 

Amrabat and Bonaventura have been crucial in midfield. However, the three we desperately need back are Milenkovich in defense and one of (ideally both) Sottil or Gonzalez who both are our quickest players and can easily go past wing/full-backs and actually create something.

I think if at least 3 or 4 out of those 5 play we'll win ok. If not, you've definitely got a chance providing you counter quickly. Everyone else has been wildly inconsistent so even as a fan, I couldn't predict the starting lineup!

Hoping for a good match and atmosphere in both games anyway.

3 hours ago, GBJambo said:

Gusts of 70mph expected 

We're going to miss the worst hopefully, Met Office got Edinburgh at that time having gusts up to 40mph so just a normal day really.

gorgierulesapply88
3 hours ago, Stuart Jack said:

Gollini (who is more likely to play this one) was a liability last time out although he has potential. Jovic lacking both fitness and confidence although he showed signs of improvement when he came on yesterday.

Ikone (winger) is suspended and Dodo (right wing back) is injured. 

Amrabat and Bonaventura have been crucial in midfield. However, the three we desperately need back are Milenkovich in defense and one of (ideally both) Sottil or Gonzalez who both are our quickest players and can easily go past wing/full-backs and actually create something.

I think if at least 3 or 4 out of those 5 play we'll win ok. If not, you've definitely got a chance providing you counter quickly. Everyone else has been wildly inconsistent so even as a fan, I couldn't predict the starting lineup!

Hoping for a good match and atmosphere in both games anyway.

I've been of the illusion fiorentina haven't been bothered about the conference and squad utility could more than do the job anyway.

But if we are passive, and compact I don't see why Hearts can't nick it. Especially at home. If there are glimpses of something the fans will be on side if not it'll be the usual morgue like support and arguments amongst our own fans.

5 minutes ago, gorgierulesapply88 said:

I've been of the illusion fiorentina haven't been bothered about the conference and squad utility could more than do the job anyway.

But if we are passive, and compact I don't see why Hearts can't nick it. Especially at home. If there are glimpses of something the fans will be on side if not it'll be the usual morgue like support and arguments amongst our own fans.

That's what's frustrating us with the CL and current performances. The club/manager/players came out publicly before a ball was kicked and said 'we're taking it seriously', 'want to win it like Roma last year', 'have a good enough squad with depth to compete on 3 fronts' etc. It would be easier for fans to take if we didn't take it seriously and just put our 'Primavera' youth team out - who've won the last 3 consecutive cups in Italy. 

Clearly we haven't gelled yet, considering a raft of new signings. Yes, like you we have had injuries and some bad luck. However it's compounded by the manager rotating too much and we look psychologically fragile, especially when something goes wrong e.g. losing first goal or getting a red.

I doubt we will play reserves or not take this seriously now. From our perspective, we (or should I say our Manager, Italiano) can't afford to as many fans are circling like vultures at the mo and anything less than a win will be seen as a deeper crisis.

Having said that, drawing with Napoli and Juve when we dominated and should have won, combined with the freak RFS and Istanbul results give us some hope that if we can just be more clinical, we might open the floodgates and start playing with confidence and kick on.

One thing fans do in Italy though is sing and support the team through thick and thin. Rarely a 'morgue'. I saw a bit of the Sampdoria game at the weekend, losing 3-0 to Monza at home and rooted to the bottom, in real danger this season and sacked their manager after. Yet, they were still jumping up and down singing and waving flags all through the match. 

Gorgie_Rules
2 hours ago, Stuart Jack said:

That's what's frustrating us with the CL and current performances. The club/manager/players came out publicly before a ball was kicked and said 'we're taking it seriously', 'want to win it like Roma last year', 'have a good enough squad with depth to compete on 3 fronts' etc. It would be easier for fans to take if we didn't take it seriously and just put our 'Primavera' youth team out - who've won the last 3 consecutive cups in Italy. 

Clearly we haven't gelled yet, considering a raft of new signings. Yes, like you we have had injuries and some bad luck. However it's compounded by the manager rotating too much and we look psychologically fragile, especially when something goes wrong e.g. losing first goal or getting a red.

I doubt we will play reserves or not take this seriously now. From our perspective, we (or should I say our Manager, Italiano) can't afford to as many fans are circling like vultures at the mo and anything less than a win will be seen as a deeper crisis.

Having said that, drawing with Napoli and Juve when we dominated and should have won, combined with the freak RFS and Istanbul results give us some hope that if we can just be more clinical, we might open the floodgates and start playing with confidence and kick on.

One thing fans do in Italy though is sing and support the team through thick and thin. Rarely a 'morgue'. I saw a bit of the Sampdoria game at the weekend, losing 3-0 to Monza at home and rooted to the bottom, in real danger this season and sacked their manager after. Yet, they were still jumping up and down singing and waving flags all through the match. 

In terms of your support on Thursday would you say the majority are coming over from Italy or most likely live in the UK already, for example travelling up from

London?

The majority of the Zurich fans that came over apparently drove it (with a shed load of pyro and flares in the boot :lol:)

Not sure if there is as big a drinking culture with Italian football fans but the Grassmarket is generally a good area to congregate in big numbers, for nearer to Tynecastle away fans usually go to the Roseburn bar. Wouldn’t expect any trouble and most fans will generally want a chat and a bit banter

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

Bazzas right boot
On 02/10/2022 at 22:35, Wee Mikey said:

We can but hope ...

🕺💃🕺

🎶🎵🎶

He is D, he's Devlin

He is I, just Incredible

He is S, Jambo Star

He is C, such a Cutie

And Oh, Oh, Ohh ......

D.I.S.C.O. (etc.)

🎶🎵🎶

🕺💃🕺

He is , s- sent aff..

48 minutes ago, Rudi Hates Hibees said:

Have the tickets been emailed for this game yet? 

my email was dated 23rd September

10 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Need Devlin with Kio being out

Why is Kio out?

Fancy Gino to start this game with Robbie talking about pace in behind their high line.

Rudi Hates Hibees
7 minutes ago, Ribble said:

my email was dated 23rd September

Ok, thanks. I’ve dropped ticket office an email. 

We_are_the_Hearts
23 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Why is Kio out?

Fancy Gino to start this game with Robbie talking about pace in behind their high line.

Chipped bone in his foot is the rumour. Out for a few weeks

14 hours ago, Stuart Jack said:

As a non Scottish team supporter, have you ever been to Tynecastle Stuart?

Just now, We_are_the_Hearts said:

FFS. We've not got our troubles to seek.

11 hours ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

In terms of your support on Thursday would you say the majority are coming over from Italy or most likely live in the UK already, for example travelling up from

London?

The majority of the Zurich fans that came over apparently drove it (with a shed load of pyro and flares in the boot :lol:)

Not sure if there is as big a drinking culture with Italian football fans but the Grassmarket is generally a good area to congregate in big numbers, for nearer to Tynecastle away fans usually go to the Roseburn bar. Wouldn’t expect any trouble and most fans will generally want a chat and a bit banter

Cheers for info. Not sure my plan beforehand yet as need to meet up with the folk bringing my tickets.

In terms of our support, I believe we've sold out with the 1275 and imagine around two thirdly will be from Florence or at least Italy. Rest usually made up of Euro fan groups - I know the Brussels group are (the Belgians are coming!)

We've got relatively few UK based fan groups although I think London is a big one so imagine they'll be a good smattering of UK or Scotland based individuals attending too, just because it's accessible and the rare novelty of playing in Scotland.

28 minutes ago, graygo said:

As a non Scottish team supporter, have you ever been to Tynecastle Stuart?

No, just driven past it a few times. Been to Gorgie Farm though!! Over the years I've been to Hampden for a few Scotland games as well as the epic Motherwell v Dundee Utd Cup final in 1991. Been to Ibrox, Celtic Park, Fir Park several times and Livingston, Killie and Partick all once.

Also Murrayfield once for rugby.

24 minutes ago, Stuart Jack said:

No, just driven past it a few times. Been to Gorgie Farm though!! Over the years I've been to Hampden for a few Scotland games as well as the epic Motherwell v Dundee Utd Cup final in 1991. Been to Ibrox, Celtic Park, Fir Park several times and Livingston, Killie and Partick all once.

Hope you enjoy Thursday then although not too much 😉

On 02/10/2022 at 11:33, Boyces beard said:

Would like to see Ginnelly and Humphrys both start to give us that pace and directness in attacking areas. If it means dropping McKay, Forrest or Shankland then so be it. I would also like us to leave a player or two on the half way line when we are defending corners, there is no need to have every player back inside our own box. Leave one or two up top and they will have to leave at least 3/4 players back to deal with it. With the way Fiorentina control possession our only chance will be through quick counter attacks and a more direct approach. If we try to play them at there own game we will be on the wrong end of a spanking as there players are technically far superior to ours in every department.

Inclined to agree with this.  Not against leaving Shankland out at all.  Would rather Gino ran himself into the ground for 60 mins chasing them down, turning them, winning us territory.  Humphrys doing the same with addition of some heiders!

Goes without saying defence is the biggest head scratcher though.  No idea how Fiorentina set up, so no idea whether to expect 3 or 4 at back.

Any word on Halks?  (has this been asked 100000 times yet?)

1 hour ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Aw ffs, he's playing well at the mo.  Sheesh

(if true!)

PS, I'm missing the game cos of work.  No real reason to post this, just pissed off.  Had to give my ticket away and I'll be lucky to see it on TV.  Sake man.  Hate being a grownup.

1 hour ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Ffs modern day football boots. 

:sob:

1 hour ago, Cruyff said:

Ffs modern day football boots. 

:sob:

Where's this being reported about? Not seen anything on it anywhere. Will be a blow for us and him if it's true.

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Inclined to agree with this.  Not against leaving Shankland out at all.  Would rather Gino ran himself into the ground for 60 mins chasing them down, turning them, winning us territory.  Humphrys doing the same with addition of some heiders!

Goes without saying defence is the biggest head scratcher though.  No idea how Fiorentina set up, so no idea whether to expect 3 or 4 at back.

Any word on Halks?  (has this been asked 100000 times yet?)

Usually 4-3-3 but recently experimenting 4-2-3-1. We always play a back 4 but both sides operate as wingbacks who usually push high.

BackOfTheNet

This is gonna be like Zurich, it just depends if it will be like leg 1 or 2.

Either we’ll turn up like leg 2 and take the game to them, or we’ll be facing a team on a bad run like Zurich in leg 1 and they’ll beat us by one or two by not playing that great.

Fiorentina have been pish all season, but Zurich (who have players not as good as Fiorentina) were pish when we played them too. I’m not confident in the slightest, just hopeful we can scrape out a performance.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Pasquale for King
13 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

https://www-fiorentina-it.translate.goog/hearts-fiorentina-il-doppio-ex-pasquale-bruno-loro-molto-fisici-non-sara-facile/?_x_tr_sl=it&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Words on the game from Bruno who will be there on Thursday, half time guest maybe? Broken english with google translate.

Fantastic news, will he brilliant to see the great man.
I wonder if he fancies giving our defence a training session or a few pointers.

The Real Maroonblood
4 hours ago, Stuart Jack said:

Just a heads up.

Don't drink Tennents lager when you are over here.

It's pish.

AlphonseCapone

3-0 Fiorentina. Despite how they've started in the conference they're still a level above us and based on what Stuart has said it sounds like a result here is more than just about group progression, there is potential for a bit of pressure on the manager. It also sounds like it has been more a case of missed chances than playing poorly and we are really dodgy at the back just now. 

34 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Just a heads up.

Don't drink Tennents lager when you are over here.

It's pish.

Tennents Super Lager is a premium brand in Italy.

:boak:

Jambof3tornado
On 03/10/2022 at 11:49, GBJambo said:

Gusts of 70mph expected 

Kebab pies have a lot to answer for!!

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Official Heart of Midlothian v Fiorentina match thread***