***Official Heart of Midlothian v Fiorentina match thread***

Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot

A match day thread with a nice sound to it. 

On to Thursday. 

After a humbling defeat today, I'm going for a 2-2.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Cruyff

• Taffin

• Harry Potter

I'd take a draw right now. They've performed poorly in Europe so far but our form as been erratic and a draw would still keep us in a good position in the group in all liklihood. Not confident we can stop them scoring so we will just have to make every shot count.

Edited by Jambos_1874

Got my away tickets confirmed this afternoon and our fan site said we've sold out the 1275 allocation so hoping for a cracking atmosphere!

We've not been firing on all cylinders either and struggling to score, however results can be deceptive. We've been missing 4-5 key players with injuries in recent weeks.

Against RFS when we drew 1-1 we had the most chances out of any team in all the Euro competitions that week - think it was 31 shots on target.

Against Istanbul away, we dominated possession but couldn't create much, then capitulated after the goal, made mistakes inc. a dreadful goalie howler and went down to 10 for a petulant kick. Dreadful result but bounced back with a much better performance and win.

However, stats showed that this season we are 5th in Europe's top 5 leagues (headed by Man City) for possession. Just need to get Cabral or Jovic and more from our wingers like Gonzales and Sottil finding the net. 

Hoping for 2 great games and wish you guys well for rest of the season.

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, Stuart Jack said:

Got my away tickets confirmed this afternoon and our fan site said we've sold out the 1275 allocation so hoping for a cracking atmosphere!

We've not been firing on all cylinders either and struggling to score, however results can be deceptive. We've been missing 4-5 key players with injuries in recent weeks.

Against RFS when we drew 1-1 we had the most chances out of any team in all the Euro competitions that week - think it was 31 shots on target.

Against Istanbul away, we dominated possession but couldn't create much, then capitulated after the goal, made mistakes inc. a dreadful goalie howler and went down to 10 for a petulant kick. Dreadful result but bounced back with a much better performance and win.

However, stats showed that this season we are 5th in Europe's top 5 leagues (headed by Man City) for possession. Just need to get Cabral or Jovic and more from our wingers like Gonzales and Sottil finding the net. 

Nice info. 

It's not made feel any better about our prospects tho. 😂😂

8 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Nice info. 

It's not made feel any better about our prospects tho. 😂😂

Sorry! Sure you'll be fine for rest of season but the inconsistency of both our teams means you can't go into any game with a feeling of confidence. 

tartofmidlothian

Hopefully today we were in second gear trying to stay fresh for this one. Biggest match of the season, if we could take three points we have a real chance of qualifying.

Rangers give me a lot more fear than them.

I think we played against a far superior team today.

Time will tell but I think we can go into this looking for at least a point.

Screenshot_20221001-190702_Samsung Internet.jpg

We as a support need to step up the atmosphere big style for this,  if we can get a result it would be massive for us in our group. 

2 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Hopefully today we were in second gear trying to stay fresh for this one. Biggest match of the season, if we could take three points we have a real chance of qualifying.

Rangers were in first gear the whole of the second half. We were in reverse the whole game.

Fozzyonthefence

Interesting that the bookies have Fiorentina at only 4/7 whereas Istanbul who were top seeds and look the best team in the group were a very generous evens so not exactly free money.  

Can’t see anything other than a Fiorentina win, our defence is shite and we’re powderpuff up front unless we’re playing bottom 6 SPFL pish who all our wins have been against. 

It would just be nice to see us score. Not only have we been hopeless in all our recent big games against better opposition, we haven’t even scored. 

5 hours ago, Stuart Jack said:

Too much info! I was clinging to final results of those games without paying much attention to what actually went on in game. Now I feel like the Riga result at your home was a complete fluke and Istanbul game for you they a bit lucky with the result. Ahhh feck it what's the worst that can happen lol, just hope we compete. 

As long as we can reduce the individual errors and stupid decision making (red cards) we might compete.

Not too hopeful and can see a 0-2

45 minutes ago, jbee647 said:

Anyone received there tickets for Thursday yet (via email) ?

Yep we’ve all got them! And you?

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

No matter the result our management team's jobs are safe.

Quite right as well.

If we are sacking Hearts managers based on results v Fiorentina then it would be a farce. 

Right now honestly not feeling confident of us getting anything other than a defeat from this, our defending will have to improve drastically, as from what I seen of the highlights today, we couldn't defend for toffee, although saying that Fiorentina traditionally don't score many goals funnily enough and are currently sitting 10th in serie A at the moment, I think we need to tweak things and change formation for this in order to get anything, we need players playing in their natural roles, having Kingsley as a centre half In a back 4 is far too make shift for me, I personally would play a 3-5-2 formation and have 3 midfielders in there to make it harder for Fiorentina to break us down, I suppose it depends also If Hallkett can make the starting 11 as well, if he plays then our chances to get something improve marginally, at this point in time I'm leaning towards a 0-2 defeat for us and not really laying a glove on them but if we can get our tactics, formation right and keep it tight first half then you never know. I honestly just hope we don't get embarrassed, would hate to see us get 6 or 7 nilled off them.

Ricardo Quaresma

No idea what’s going to happen

Packing the midfield would seem sensible, 2 up front may be necessary, at least in short bursts

Interesting that they don't play at Atalanta until 5pm on Sunday. They have so far made lost of changes in their Conference League matches but will know the double header is now pretty vital given their first 2 results. Difficult to know quite how they are treating this competition. After today and performances so fact this season against better opposition its hard to be terribly optimistic but I just feel like if we could score first in one of these matches then it might make the world of difference. The players really need to lift the crowd early doors on Thursday.

As an aside Istanbul Basaksehir went top of the Turkish League today with another win.  

We_are_the_Hearts

If it’s still Neilson and Kingsley in central defence we will lose at least 3. Neilson nowhere ready and Kingsley looks lost in a back 4 without Halkett.

AC Mallin_51
13 hours ago, Bauld said:

Rangers give me a lot more fear than them.

I think we played against a far superior team today.

Time will tell but I think we can go into this looking for at least a point.

Screenshot_20221001-190702_Samsung Internet.jpg

To put into perspective we played a champions league side that made the EL final last year. So I completely agree they are a far superior side 

pettigrewsstylist
9 hours ago, Philfigo said:

Too much info! I was clinging to final results of those games without paying much attention to what actually went on in game. Now I feel like the Riga result at your home was a complete fluke and Istanbul game for you they a bit lucky with the result. Ahhh feck it what's the worst that can happen lol, just hope we compete. 

Having watched both games I am of that opinion. 

Doubt Tynie will intimidate an Italian team.

Im hoping for a weak ref which Tynie can influence early on.

Anything less than a win and thats the competition exited.

Slim hope we can produce our performance of the season.

Above all else hope we can aviod humiliation.

Theres always hope tho 😁

15 hours ago, Stuart Jack said:

Here's a photo from yesterday's match v The Rangers showing the away section.

That should give you a good idea of what it'll be like with 1275 of you.

No binoculars needed at Tynecastle. 😉

Screenshot_20221002-091946_Gallery.jpg

Was really looking forward to this game until yesterday. Hopefully my mood and optimism levels increase by Thursday tea time because right now I'm missing the international break.

A draw would be a great result.

Perfect game to help get over yesterday.  Atmosphere for the last few games has been poor, hopefully the crowd are well oiled and in good form. This is a standalone game, don't worry about what has went before. Just go out and give everything and we could have a special night on our hands.

Boyces beard

Would like to see Ginnelly and Humphrys both start to give us that pace and directness in attacking areas. If it means dropping McKay, Forrest or Shankland then so be it. I would also like us to leave a player or two on the half way line when we are defending corners, there is no need to have every player back inside our own box. Leave one or two up top and they will have to leave at least 3/4 players back to deal with it. With the way Fiorentina control possession our only chance will be through quick counter attacks and a more direct approach. If we try to play them at there own game we will be on the wrong end of a spanking as there players are technically far superior to ours in every department.

Malinga the Swinga
5 hours ago, Baxfee said:

Can Humphreys play or was he signed after the window shut? 

Are you even a supporter. He played against RFS. 

Hopefully we get result and ground isn't full of the shit stirrers we see on here after games.

Club and players need 100% backing.

I can see us having lots of the ball for about 20 minutes, before Fiorintina decide that we aren't really much of a threat, then take control, score 2 or 3 goals, and don't let us have much of the ball again, but I never get these predictions right so who knows, we might win by the odd goal.

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Official Heart of Midlothian v Fiorentina match thread***