*** Hearts Winter Transfer Thread - Henderson and Connor Smith loaned out***

dazajmbo

RustyRightPeg
4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You can be a good player and be 35 years old.

I'd just be disappointed that we allowed Snodgrass so much space, him being  35 is irrelevant. 

Placing any emphasis on his age is just strange imo.

If Snodgrass was 25 and played just as well v us would you not be as disappointed , or would you mention his age.

What about 30, 33?

At what age is it relevant to a players performance?

He just likes a moan

• Replies 14.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BackOfTheNet

• Sooks

• Batistuta87

• soonbe110

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bazzas right boot
Just now, soonbe110 said:

There is a pretty simple reason why there’s so few guys playing top level football after the age of 32-33. I think we will all be really disappointed if we sign a 35 year old centre back to replace Halkett. Anyway it’s not important enough to continually debate. This thread is now about who is coming in and maybe who is going out. 

Fair, but in global terms Scottish football isn't top level football.

5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You can be a good player and be 35 years old.

I'd just be disappointed that we allowed Snodgrass so much space, him being  35 is irrelevant. 

Placing any emphasis on his age is just strange imo.

If Snodgrass was 25 and played just as well v us would you not be as disappointed , or would you mention his age.

What about 30, 33?

At what age is it relevant to a players performance?

Luke Modric is 37. End of debate.

15 minutes ago, Tatlock said:

With news that Halkett is out for season, it makes sense to buy an experienced CH. it doesn’t have to mean we drop Sibbick we just keep Robbie’s favoured 3 at the back with Sibbick right and Rowles left the new CH in middle. It leaves us with the great problem of having Kingsley and Cochrane battling for LWB place. 

Yup, we're short of cover too.  We can of course drop to a back 4 if we lose a CH.

But the list is

Sibbick - no issue

Rowles - no issue

Kingsley -  no issue (that back 3 is a very very good back 3 imo)

Cochrane - no issue but would prefer at LB/LWB

Neilson - wouldn't want to rely on the kid but really like him

Smith - OK at rcb/cb but not for extended period and is he now injured/who is playing rb?

Haring - injured and doesn't seem to be considered a CB option

So in my mind, we have 4 CH options, only Rowles any cope in the air really, and one of whom we need to play LWB imo.

We really do need to bring in cover.  When I say that, he needs to be of comparable or better quality if we can find it.

Tough game, Toby doesn't deserved dropped, no one from yesterday does, but if we find a better player, they lose their place.  That's the deal.

4 minutes ago, DxB Hearts said:

Soooo any updates??

Y.Oda seems to be just waiting on the home office stamps.

Apart from that it's all quiet? 

C'mon, must be some rumblings...

Robbie said pre match he had hoped to have 2 done in time for the derby! Given that they know how long the visa process takes i dont think he meant Oda. They could have fallen through but given how confident he was that they would be adding soon i think they are just held up

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Doc Rob said:

Luke Modric is 37. End of debate.

Just a strange thing to focus on imo,  so many good players carry on to a good age and Scottish football is hardly top level. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot

Just now, CAR said:

Robbie said pre match he had hoped to have 2 done in time for the derby! Given that they know how long the visa process takes i dont think he meant Oda. They could have fallen through but given how confident he was that they would be adding soon i think they are just held up

Completely missed that comment, that's very promising!

As much as it's annoying we don't get rumours, JS and the rest of the team keeping players coming in quiet until they're almost here is great for us.

i wish jj was my dad
26 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Not really, I’d be disappointed if I was a Hibs fan and my midfield players allowed a 35 year old to dominate the way Snodgrass did yesterday. They stood off him for 45 minutes and gave him an easy passage which meant he comfortably lasted 104 minutes. It was McGeady yesterday not M’Bappe 

You can't compare Snoddy to that wee tramp. 

I wasn't happy with Natty but he was played out of position after being out for weeks. 

I'd stop digging a bigger hole on this one. 

30 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

I'd agree with that in general but ripping him for his cameo yesterday is just shite patter.

Highlighting a players age to emphasis a point when we have Snodgrass also seems a bit daft imo. 

Atkinson came on in the 55th minute. I'd say it was a bit more than a "cameo". Smith had just been booked for launching into McGeady before he and Halliday went off simultaneously.

Not quite sure what Neilson was doing putting him on at LWB. They were already in the ascendancy at that point (without creating anything meaningful) and they appeared to target him thereafter. He's very easily beaten by a man running at him with a bit if pace and power. I didn't get why we didn't revert to a back 4 - Atkinson, Sibbick, Rowles and Cochrane and put Kio in alongside Devlin and Snodgrass. Felt like we made things unnecessarily uncomfortable for ourselves for most of the second half yesterday. 

RB/RWB is very much an area that requires attention as a priority.

10 hours ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Chris Cadden is utterly hopeless. Playing for a dreadful Hibs team and at fault for a lot of Hibs goals. I’d rather have Forrest than Cadden at wing back

Thank you. He's been touted on this forum for years now for reasons unknown because he is utter shite.

23 minutes ago, CAR said:

I wonder if they have been held up by registration, I read Derek Mcinnes saying they had sent off to get somebody registered as soon as the window opened and never got it for yesterdays game either.

Edited by steve123

Jack Torrance
19 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yup, we're short of cover too.  We can of course drop to a back 4 if we lose a CH.

But the list is

Sibbick - no issue

Rowles - no issue

Kingsley -  no issue (that back 3 is a very very good back 3 imo)

Cochrane - no issue but would prefer at LB/LWB

Neilson - wouldn't want to rely on the kid but really like him

Smith - OK at rcb/cb but not for extended period and is he now injured/who is playing rb?

Haring - injured and doesn't seem to be considered a CB option

So in my mind, we have 4 CH options, only Rowles any cope in the air really, and one of whom we need to play LWB imo.

We really do need to bring in cover.  When I say that, he needs to be of comparable or better quality if we can find it.

Tough game, Toby doesn't deserved dropped, no one from yesterday does, but if we find a better player, they lose their place.  That's the deal.

Did you say Rowles can't cope in the air?

I actually think he's been really good in the air. It was highlighted as a weakness when he joined us but he seems to have worked on it and his heading has looked to me to be really good.

Just now, Jack Torrance said:

I actually think he's been really good in the air. It was highlighted as a weakness when he joined us but he seems to have worked on it and his heading has looked to me to be really good.

Certainly no issues yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Ah, perhaps didn't word it well. I said he's the only one who's any cope in the air.  ie the only one of our available CHs who IS good in the air.  Toby does OK, as does Kingsley, Cochrane does his best, but Kye the only one who will repel crosses aggressively.  Could do with one more imo.

pettigrewsstylist

Lots of chat about who gets dropped if we sign a CB/RCB, how to shoehorn Kingsley and Cochrane into team, what happens when Beni returns etc. The reality is, to go to "the next level", either domestically or in Uefa competition, we need to have these problems. Thats to say, a second 11 much much closer to a comparable standard with the first 11. This season has really shown that defensively. Its how you pay those wages, keep everyone happy and refuse transfer approaches on a reasonable budget, thats the big challenge.

Never really had that aspiration during my lifetime as we have not been able to afford to carry that level of quality beyond the first 11 really.

Edited by pettigrewsstylist

9 hours ago, kamck61 said:

Both Leicester and Blackburn fans unhappy with George Hirst, wonder if Leicester will recall him and sell to hearts. A small fee could cover it, he scored 2 against hearts in Spain recently 

An option to Calum Paterson, and can score for fun when in form, European football may be a draw to resurrect his career 

We were after him in the summer 

8 hours ago, hisnameis said:

Honestly think we put Atkinson on the left because we did not want him up against Youan. What has happened to Neilson. Right out of the picture currently.  As others have said we could have brought on Neilson and shuffled everyone over one place to the left. 

Think they didn’t do that because they didn’t want to unsettle the entire defence. 

Jack Torrance
6 minutes ago, Barack said:

Think it's a typo, & he's saying Rowles is sound in that regards. 

6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Ah, perhaps didn't word it well. I said he's the only one who's any cope in the air.  ie the only one of our available CHs who IS good in the air.  Toby does OK, as does Kingsley, Cochrane does his best, but Kye the only one who will repel crosses aggressively.  Could do with one more imo.

Phew. 😄

Yeah he's been really solid looking to me in that regard. If he had issues before he came he's certainly sorted them out. 

1 minute ago, soonbe110 said:

Think they didn’t do that because they didn’t want to unsettle the entire defence. 

That's my thoughts as well. 

19 minutes ago, steve123 said:

I wonder if they have been held up by registration, I read Derek Mcinnes saying they had sent off to get somebody registered as soon as the window opened and never got it for yesterdays game either.

Wee we ain’t Celtic are we 

I think it’s fair to say Atkinson performed poorly while acknowledging he was out of position. 

My mind hasn’t changed re targets - commanding CB, a RWB, right sided attacker and backup for Shankland. That’s order of preference/importance as well.

9 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

You’d think that wouldn’t need explained. The back 3 didn’t need shuffled about. The players that came on should have done better it really is that simple. People thinking that a World Cup player shouldn’t be able fill in on the opposite side for 20-30 mins. 🙄😂

11 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Phew. 😄

Yeah he's been really solid looking to me in that regard. If he had issues before he came he's certainly sorted them out. 

Aye its funny, he said before coming to us it was something he needs to work on and perhaps there was an Aussie article which suggested it was a weakness in his game.  I think he's been excellent in the air.  So one of two things - he's done the work!!, or he thinks he can get even better.

I'm very glad we have Kye, excellent player.  Any 3 of him, Sibbick, Cochrane and Kinglsley is a decent defence (although 3 lefties not ideal obvs).  Add one more right footed, aggressive CH, we're just dandy.  Add in a couple of rapid forwards, Beni back, Grant and Kio up to speed, we're looking very very strong despite who we are missing

Absolute Scenes
34 minutes ago, Homme said:

Thank you. He's been touted on this forum for years now for reasons unknown because he is utter shite.

When he was at Motherwell and Levein bid for him, I would have taken him the . Not now. Been shown up big time 

I was trying to think of how many games this season where we’ve not had anyone go off injured, I think it’s 2? And to lose Beni, Boyce, Gordon and Halkett to season long injuries is just incredible. Seems every window we’re having to replace injuries rather than just strengthening the squad.

8 hours ago, hisnameis said:

Honestly think we put Atkinson on the left because we did not want him up against Youan. What has happened to Neilson. Right out of the picture currently.  As others have said we could have brought on Neilson and shuffled everyone over one place to the left. 

So he's rather put a winger against Youan?

If he doesn't trust Atkinson what's the point in having him there?  He destroyed his confidence even more by playing him at LWB.

Jack Torrance
3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Aye its funny, he said before coming to us it was something he needs to work on and perhaps there was an Aussie article which suggested it was a weakness in his game.  I think he's been excellent in the air.  So one of two things - he's done the work!!, or he thinks he can get even better.

I'm very glad we have Kye, excellent player.  Any 3 of him, Sibbick, Cochrane and Kinglsley is a decent defence (although 3 lefties not ideal obvs).  Add one more right footed, aggressive CH, we're just dandy.  Add in a couple of rapid forwards, Beni back, Grant and Kio up to speed, we're looking very very strong despite who we are missing

Agreed. And I think Natty needs time to prove a few folk wrong. Not necessarily at the back though.

If we are never going to play a back 4 then we are going to need two CBs - at least.

Do we need to think of another goalie - or do we risk it?

1 minute ago, Jack Torrance said:

Agreed. And I think Natty needs time to prove a few folk wrong. Not necessarily at the back though.

He's been at the club 12 months.  He appears to have got worse defensively.

BackOfTheNet
2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Yeah it was a new year message. Says "2023, growing up." Though to be fair a lot of messages in the comments wish him luck moving to Hearts. 

Cheers. “Growing up” could be read into of course. Mature step to move and work in another country and all that.

A center back is now a priority, even if we looked at an experience player on a 6 month loan to see us through the season then look at more permanent options.

40 minutes ago, Dazo said:

You’d think that wouldn’t need explained. The back 3 didn’t need shuffled about. The players that came on should have done better it really is that simple. People thinking that a World Cup player shouldn’t be able fill in on the opposite side for 20-30 mins. 🙄😂

👏👏

BackOfTheNet
43 minutes ago, Dazo said:

By that logic you would’ve been fine with Juwon Oshaniwa being played right back? Played in a World Cup including a game against Messi after all…

If you’re playing a player out of position they’re always going to struggle, unless they’ve been coached to operate in that position. The guy’s game is all about getting down the right flank or cutting inside from the right. Defensively he’s all about making defenders get on their weak side, having to do the inverse of that is not as straightforward as some think.

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

By that logic you would’ve been fine with Juwon Oshaniwa being played right back? Played in a World Cup including a game against Messi after all…

If you’re playing a player out of position they’re always going to struggle, unless they’ve been coached to operate in that position. The guy’s game is all about getting down the right flank or cutting inside from the right. Defensively he’s all about making defenders get on their weak side, having to do the inverse of that is not as straightforward as some think.

That’s a very fair point but please I had just forgotten about him :lol:

25 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Is it only closing this year?

Forgive him!

He of course means "slams shut" :whistling:

pettigrewsstylist

I always moaned we were not secretive enough about our transfer dealings, now miffed that we are and there is meagre gossip to debate 🤣

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Speaking of simple.

Maybe Neilson should have just shouted louder at them 🙄

14 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He basically made the same mistakes he makes when played on the right. He is defensively poor and not physical enough for our game. Folk can't say he needs more time to settle anymore.

If Humphrys is now fit for the rest of the season then 3rd is nailed on.

The squad is good enough as it is right now.

Any signings we make right now don't need to be panic buys. Just make sure we are covered for injuries between now and May. 

There's no panic like there is at Aberdeen and Hibs.

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to *** Hearts Winter Transfer Thread - Henderson and Connor Smith loaned out***