***Official RFS v Heart of Midlothian Match Thread***

Scott Leitch

10 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Although these Sports scientists don’t help, slightest wee thing and folk are out these days. And over cautious on returns

Not sure this is true.  I have wondered about it tbh but not sure if it's the case or not.  I think there's a sliding scale of "we never used to have them and folk never got injured as much" versus "the game's a lot more arduous on the body these days"

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Bazzas right boot

• Hearts007

• HMFC01

We_are_the_Hearts
1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

Not sure this is true.  I have wondered about it tbh but not sure if it's the case or not.  I think there's a sliding scale of "we never used to have them and folk never got injured as much" versus "the game's a lot more arduous on the body these days"

I get the 2nd point but then these players are a lot fitter than they were back in the day. Maybe too fit, who knows. But every time one of our players gets fouled or goes down I’m thinking, no see them for a few weeks. 

After last week, I'm utterly convinced that the RFS double header is our only hope of not finishing with the dreaded 'nil points'. Even then, after a 1-1 draw in Florence, they also proved they're no mugs.

1-1.

A Hearts win on Thursday and  Istanbul beating Fiorentina and everything will look very different.

Gordon 

Smith Halkett Kingsley Cochrane 

Devlin Haring

Ginnelly  McKay  Humphrys

Shankland 

45 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

I get the 2nd point but then these players are a lot fitter than they were back in the day. Maybe too fit, who knows. But every time one of our players gets fouled or goes down I’m thinking, no see them for a few weeks. 

tbf fair we weren't really too bad for injuries last season.  Beni was a blow and we missed Boyce and Halks for chunks, Dev a few but they were all more or less manageable.

This season has been above what i'd call average so far, but Boyce and Kye are freak injuries.  Take them out the equation, it's not that much really, not in a "muscles and science" kinda way.  It's WHO is injured making it seem worse

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Frightening thing about last week, Turks rested half a team for Monday, we just cant do that, maybe one day. Worked out well for them, as I mentioned on the transfer thread and was attempted to be shot down, their manager was at pains to point out he had not 11 but 25 players, who all knew what they were doing without weakening the team.

We are a long way from that, but maybe there is a balance between quality over quantity as you attempt to assemble a like for like replacement.

This is of course quite difficult and from Fiorentinas results over the week, not something even a club of that stature have mastered.

I think we let the hand brake off for this one and try and out score them, defensive issues and those coming in not really plugging the holes, may as well go all out

Not sure how this game will play out, so I would have Ginnelly involved so we have some pace to drag us up the park if under the cosh

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, Vince said:

Is it true Snodgrass can’t play in European cup?

Yip, his time machine is getting a service. 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, NB GIN said:

He is over thinking every game that’s his biggest problem.
Put the best 11 on the pitch and play the best we can. 

Definitely not your biggest problem. 

:HeartsManspotrun:

1 hour ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Although these Sports scientists don’t help, slightest wee thing and folk are out these days. And over cautious on returns

A tad uninformed there

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, TheBigO said:

You're completely right, he was far too narrow and a strong CH team have that line properly spaced and ready to attack the ball.  However.... in finding himself in that position, he needs to be stronger.  He needs to be stronger in general.  There was one v Basaksehir where there was a ball in to the box and he needed to put his left foot through it and send it 60 yards anywhere away, but instead he kind of flicked it with the outside of his right boot and was lucky it hit off their player, and go to safety - that player or the other who had overloaded could easily have profited.  He does this kind of thing a lot.

You know I'm not having a go at Natty, there's just moments like this and that header v Zurich he needs to get right in a safety first, be strong, be decisive kind of way to be able to play in our defence beyond games v bottom 6 teams, which is surely where he wants to be, including in international football.

Maybe fair, but when big Pete is giving the ball away on the 18 yard line Aki imo gets it a bit tight for everything. 

In general he needs to be more stronger and defensively switched on but I think it's a bit overplayed by some. 

V Zurich a real  centre half drops ten yards deeper and attacks that easily. 

A good ch heads it to aki who is at rwb and we start our own attack. 

Instead every ch is caught under the ball and Aki becomes the fall guy as he's svambling back to where one of centre halve should be. 

2 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

A Hearts win on Thursday and  Istanbul beating Fiorentina and everything will look very different.

Gordon 

Devlin Haring

Shankland 

Last I read chances are Halkett won't make it 🤷‍♂️

Just read an article saying half Riga team over 6ft tall. At very least they going to be a threat at set pieces. We don't have too many giants in the team. Hope Halkett fit. Also maybe a starting place for Neilson?

6 minutes ago, Henroddy said:

Just read an article saying half Riga team over 6ft tall. At very least they going to be a threat at set pieces. We don't have too many giants in the team. Hope Halkett fit. Also maybe a starting place for Neilson?

Just posted the link full of international players as well

7 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Just posted the link full of international players as well

We're not the best at defending set pieces as it is but they have plenty height so best not try to concede corners or give away too many free kicks around the box.

Be interesting to see their wage structure.

7 minutes ago, feej said:

We're not the best at defending set pieces as it is but they have plenty height so best not try to concede corners or give away too many free kicks around the box.

Be interesting to see their wage structure.

It's probably not a lot more than ours to be fair most of them are Latvian internationals with a couple from Baltic regions.But aye they are going to be very dangerous from set plays and it looks like they will out muscle us all over the park.

3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It's probably not a lot more than ours to be fair most of them are Latvian internationals with a couple from Baltic regions.But aye they are going to be very dangerous from set plays and it looks like they will out muscle us all over the park.

Their squad's worth a good bit less than ours according to transfermarkt. Plus, minimum monthly salary in Latvia is €500 a month, much lower than ours. We can't take too much from that though, they'll be no mugs at least.

Might be good value for our scouts though!

3 hours ago, gnasher75 said:

Gordon 

Devlin Haring

Shankland 

If we've learned one thing recently it must be that we can't go into any game far less a European tie with a 2 man midfield we get totally over run  and teams of the calibre of Istanbul just play through the middle of us .

We desperately  need to go 4 4 2 Pack the midfield and give Barrie a free role behind Shanks or Humphries.

In an ideal world something like .

Gordon 

Smith  Halks Kingsley Alex

Beni

Grant    Cammy   Snoddy 

McKay

Shankland 

Cammy basically running around the midfield putting out fires and generally being a nuisance and Barrry roaming all over the final 3rd  linking up with Shanks.

That's the template I would hope Robbie would work off putting in players for the injured/ non eligible players  as the games come along.

Haring and Cammy are miles away from controlling the midfield at this level absolutely miles.

Stick Gio in for Beni till he's fit and if he's good enough he slots in further up the park or you play him and Beni in a 2 man mid.

Edited by ramrod

3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Their squad's worth a good bit less than ours according to transfermarkt. Plus, minimum monthly salary in Latvia is €500 a month, much lower than ours. We can't take too much from that though, they'll be no mugs at least.

Might be good value for our scouts though!

Much more experienced at this level as well as they are pretty much in Europe every year.

21 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

This side are full of international players as well.This is going to be another very tough game.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/land-of-the-giants-hearts-possession-plan-to-counter-riga-fs-in-latvia-3840886

KTF vegas-voss ,this game is obviously going to be difficult but for the future , players coming back etc 

I for one still have faith in Robbie ,I’d obviously love to see him get a day or two without injuries and not having to shuffle ,KTF

4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Much more experienced at this level as well as they are pretty much in Europe every year.

It looks like they got into Europe for the first time 4 years ago, only got into the top league in 2016 when Skonto went skinto. From what I can see, they only won they first European tie last season.

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It looks like they got into Europe for the first time 4 years ago, only got into the top league in 2016 when Skonto went skinto. From what I can see, they only won they first European tie last season.

I thought I read they have only lost 5 out of their last 16 European games

14 minutes ago, ramrod said:

If we've learned one thing recently it must be that we can't go into any game far less a European tie with a 2 man midfield we get totally over run  and teams of the calibre of Istanbul just play through the middle of us .

We desperately  need to go 4 4 2 Pack the midfield and give Barrie a free role behind Shanks or Humphries.

Gordon 

Beni

Grant    Cammy   Snoddy 

McKay

Shankland 

Cammy basically running around the midfield putting out fires and generally being a nuisance and Barrry roaming all over the final 3rd  linking up with Shanks.

That's the template I would hope Robbie would work off putting in players for the injured/ non eligible players  as the games come along.

Haring and Cammy are miles away from controlling the midfield at this level absolutely miles.

Stick Gio in for Beni till he's fit and if he's good enough he slots in further up the park or you play him and Beni in a 2 man mid.

We aren't playing a team of the calibre of Istanbul. We are much better when we set up to attack. Not much point selecting a team that we can't play.

6 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I thought I read they have only lost 5 out of their last 16 European games

I'm going off transfermarkt, could be wrong

17 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Gordon 

Beni

Grant    Cammy   Snoddy 

McKay

Shankland 

Devlin ran the show against Zurich when we had 11 on the pitch. They're a stronger team than RFS.

This is a game where we need to focus on ourselves and attack them, I hope we take the game to them from the start and let them worry about us, just hopefully we put there defence under some pressure at the very least, we need to start like we did in zurich, obviously need to be wary of set peices and their height, but we should absolutely be aiming to win this or at the very least take a point.

9 minutes ago, allystrachan said:

Here’s hoping we don’t keep trying to just sling crosses in if they are a huge team.

Hope not mate we are not blessed with ball winners in the air.

42 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

They may be more experienced but I still have no idea how they got past Linfield, looked very poor 

They just drew with Fiorentina...

4 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Definitely not your biggest problem. 

:HeartsManspotrun:

The great Bill shanks used to say football is a simple game. The word is very close to your thinking.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, karipidis said:

They just drew with Fiorentina...

Suspect Fiorentina rested an entire team, I don't know but sounds like smash and grab. 

Regardless they were awful against Linfield 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

The great Bill shanks used to say football is a simple game. The word is very close to your thinking.

Poor comeback. 

Expected better. 

1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

Admit it, you have been desperate to find an excuse to use that line 😄

I can't even claim credit, my phone spell checked Skonto and I thought Oh that's good!

1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Suspect Fiorentina rested an entire team, I don't know but sounds like smash and grab. 

Regardless they were awful against Linfield 

8 of the players who started in the 1-1 draw v Juve played a part against Riga (5 starting, 3 off the bench). Yes I’d imagine it was a smash and grab but it shows that they are incredibly resilient and must be decent defensively. Yes we should be beating them but it’s not going to be easy, despite ur implications that it will be, which is obviously to stick the knife in if we don’t and also give no credit if we do win. 

Edited by karipidis

1 minute ago, karipidis said:

8 of the players who started in the 1-1 draw v Juve played apart against Riga (5 starting, 3 off the bench). Yes I’d imagine it was a smash and gran hit it shows that they are incredibly resilient and must be decent defensively. Yes we should be beating them but it’s not going to be easy, despite ur implications that it will be, which obviously to stick the knife in if we don’t and also give no credit if we do win. 

I really want to see that 4-1-4-1 again tbh