***Official FIORENTINA Travel Thread - Meet up arrangements ***

JimmyCant

Gorgie_Rules
14 hours ago, SeanInRome said:

Fan Zone is where the city and police gather all the away fans before football games. This is to cut down problems around the city to a minimum. After the game,away fans are kept inside until the police clear in and around the stadium and they take you back to the safe zone.

Pushing for the last train is very risky and I’ve seen many stuck in Naples over the years at 11pm without a hotel.

Anyone going down/up on a train I’d suggest sleeping in Florence.

Thanks for the info. Are these ‘safe zones’ typically somewhere near city centres or on the outskirts of the stadium?

Whether its allowed to happen or not, the Hearts fans intentions will be to gather in a square in the centre of the city with bars and restaurants ideally within up to a 30 minute walk to the stadium.

It will then likely be back to the same square after the game. In my experience of following Hearts abroad there is never the intention of any fans to go looking for trouble, its always a party atmosphere. Hopefully the Italian police don’t go over the top

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• graygo

• Stuart Jack

• Wee Mikey

• Heartsmad1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Flights and hotels booked. Flying to Pisa with EasyJet from Manchester on the Tuesday returning to Man with Jet2 on the Saturday. 

✈️🇱🇻♥️🍺

2 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Naples was a farce … organised buses to the match that should have taken a 30 minute journey which were sent on a 60 mile detour with only the fans on the first bus getting in as the KO whistle blew … others were straggling in up HT. I’d be very wary about taking advice from police in Italy.

Rome there was no fanzone per-say just a meeting point in a huge park to get buses to the stadium. However these buses did go straight to the stadium. Many took taxis or walked! And the walkers found it ok despite all the scary stories!

Bologna a few years ago (Joe must go) getting buses away from the stadium was compulsory regardless of how you got there, police made no exceptions. Then once the buses were loaded they took the most direct route with sirens blaring to the main route where Italians were leaving from!

Alas the Italian police regard away fans as a bit fun to play with!

I brought 50 Leicester fans to Naples from Rome(500km round trip) and even after stopping for a nice lunch,beers,having to collect tickets in Naples we were the only Leicester fans in the stadium at Kick off.

I was organized but the club wasn’t and tried to put the blame on the Italian police.

Some still arriving at 7.15(6.45 kickoff) when it was 2-1 and very angry, as you would/should be if you spent 400£ + 

Those in Naples were late to the ground but definitely the fault of the Leicester club and not the Italian police. I’ve brought Liverpool,Leicester and Man City fans and we always take the same route.

The hailstorm that day and the fans stadium strike against the owners by filling the roads didn’t help either.

The park in Villa Borghese(Rome) is always used for the away fans regardless of where you are coming for. After Italian games all away fans are first held inside until the home supporters move from the stadium, then squashed on to buses and dropped off a quieter location.

Edited by SeanInRome

Midloth_Iain
1 minute ago, SeanInRome said:

I brought 50 Leicester fans to Naples from Rome(500km round trip) and even after stopping for a nice lunch,beers,having to collect tickets in Naples we were the only Leicester fans in the stadium at Kick off.

Some still arriving at 7.15(6.45 kickoff) when it was 2-1 and very angry, as you would/should be if you spent 400£ + 

Those in Naples were late to the ground but definitely the fault of the Leicester club and not the Italian police. I’ve brought Liverpool,Leicester and Man City fans and we always take the same route.

The hailstorm that day and the fans stadium strike against the owners by filling the roads didn’t help either.

The park in Villa Borghese(Rome) is always used for the away fans regardless of where you are coming for. After Italian games all away fans are first held inside until the home supporters move from the stadium, then squashed on to buses and dropped off a quieter location 

Any info about where the fans may be 'shepherded to/from' in Florence mate ?

broxburnjambo

13 of us ( a mixture of Livi, Portobello and Heart of Wallace supporters clubs) heading out Wednesday to Friday

06:20 Edinburgh to Stanstead

11:00 Stanstead to Pisa

Train into Florence

13:40 Pisa to Dublin

22:00 Dublin to Edinburgh.

Accommodation booked in the city centre in apartments.

£230pp

22 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Thanks for the info. Are these ‘safe zones’ typically somewhere near city centres or on the outskirts of the stadium?

Whether its allowed to happen or not, the Hearts fans intentions will be to gather in a square in the centre of the city with bars and restaurants ideally within up to a 30 minute walk to the stadium.

It will then likely be back to the same square after the game. In my experience of following Hearts abroad there is never the intention of any fans to go looking for trouble, its always a party atmosphere. Hopefully the Italian police don’t go over the top

In my experience it’s never the traveling fans looking for trouble and usually just young Italian kids looking around for individuals and small groups. I even got caught up in a small scuffle while drinking with Chelsea fans a few years back 😂

The fan zones are always close by the stadium/center(3-5km) and it’s just easier for the police this way.

They tell you that you have to go but many still make their own way to the stadiums.

Finnegans pub is a top pub ran by Ian from Scotland(15years) and Fiddlers Elbow has some good space out front and right next to Santa Maria Novella

12 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Any info about where the fans may be 'shepherded to/from' in Florence mate ?

Not yet mate but as soon as I know I’ll let you know! We’ll be speaking to the police on Wednesday and I’ll let you know.

Next Thursday they’ll have RFS there for the opening game so they should have a zone picked out by then.

I’m assuming you guys will bring 3/4 times the numbers they will so it could change.

10 days before all away teams know as both clubs chat with one another and the police to ensure it all goes well!

17 minutes ago, broxburnjambo said:

13 of us ( a mixture of Livi, Portobello and Heart of Wallace supporters clubs) heading out Wednesday to Friday

Train into Florence

£230pp

What airline/s are you using ?

stirlingshirejambo
20 minutes ago, broxburnjambo said:

Train into Florence

£230pp

Edinburgh to stand stead now £188 on its own so you have a great deal

Nucky Thompson

I'm doubling this trip up as a wee city break too.

Going with the Mrs and we'll be in Florence Tuesday to Friday and Milan Friday to Saturday.

Booked a free walking tour around Florence on the Wednesday morning, 10.30am - 1pm.

Thursday will be the party day :drummer:

Midloth_Iain
19 minutes ago, SeanInRome said:

Not yet mate but as soon as I know I’ll let you know! We’ll be speaking to the police on Wednesday and I’ll let you know.

Next Thursday they’ll have RFS there for the opening game so they should have a zone picked out by then.

I’m assuming you guys will bring 3/4 times the numbers they will so it could change.

10 days before all away teams know as both clubs chat with one another and the police to ensure it all goes well!

Many thanks 😉

Spitonastranger
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Flights and hotels booked. Flying to Pisa with EasyJet from Manchester on the Tuesday returning to Man with Jet2 on the Saturday. 

✈️🇱🇻♥️🍺

Hi What Airline i have looked and only Monday flights TIA 

Spitonastranger
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

✈️🇱🇻♥️🍺

Sorry didnt read your post right, see the Ailine 

Flying into Milan on the Wednesday morning and planning on getting the high speed train to Florence, I know I should pre book this but are the tickets transferable if the flight is delayed or we ages getting through customs?

4 hours ago, Chevy Chase said:

Quick question for anyone who’d know….

When arriving at an airport (Amsterdam) and you have a connecting flight (Florence) do you have to go through passport control and customs and then essentially re enter the airport and go through security before the flight to Florence?

There will be no baggage reclaim as it’ll be hand luggage only. I have a couple of hours between arriving in Amsterdam and the departure to Florence but was just wondering about the procedure involved? 

We went through Amsterdam to Basle for the zurich game, we had about 3 hrs, had a couple of beers then is was about a 20 minute walk to the next gate. This is well sign posted, you had to get your passport checked/stamped but it took about 2 minutes. It was all very easy, even under the influence 

1 hour ago, SeanInRome said:

I was organized but the club wasn’t and tried to put the blame on the Italian police.

The park in Villa Borghese(Rome) is always used for the away fans regardless of where you are coming for. After Italian games all away fans are first held inside until the home supporters move from the stadium, then squashed on to buses and dropped off a quieter location.

Different opinions - consensus is that local police / UEFA screwed up. If you’re encouraged by the authorities to conform to their arrangements they should ensure they are sufficiently well organised to look after your well being and get you to the match in time.

Personally when I travel to European matches I do my own thing and don’t rely on others.

And reading your well informed and experienced reports you do likewise 

https://theathletic.com/3009097/2021/12/10/leicester-complain-uefa-fans-show-total-disregard-miss-most-of-first-half-napoli/?amp=1

1 hour ago, SeanInRome said:

In my experience it’s never the traveling fans looking for trouble and usually just young Italian kids looking around for individuals and small groups. I even got caught up in a small scuffle while drinking with Chelsea fans a few years back 😂

The fan zones are always close by the stadium/center(3-5km) and it’s just easier for the police this way.

They tell you that you have to go but many still make their own way to the stadiums.

Finnegans pub is a top pub ran by Ian from Scotland(15years) and Fiddlers Elbow has some good space out front and right next to Santa Maria Novella

Great info. 

So Piazza Santa Maria Novella looks a good meeting spot!

11 minutes ago, Deans Jambo said:

Great info. 

So Piazza Santa Maria Novella looks a good meeting spot!

It's certainly big enough, whether the Italian polis allow such a gathering is another matter.

Screenshot_20220829-144312.png

Edited by graygo

26 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Different opinions - consensus is that local police / UEFA screwed up. If you’re encouraged by the authorities to conform to their arrangements they should ensure they are sufficiently well organised to look after your well being and get you to the match in time.

Personally when I travel to European matches I do my own thing and don’t rely on others.

And reading your well informed and experienced reports you do likewise 

https://theathletic.com/3009097/2021/12/10/leicester-complain-uefa-fans-show-total-disregard-miss-most-of-first-half-napoli/?amp=1

I totally agree with you as all honestly it was a disaster that day but the same route has always been used for away fans.

I’ve down with Man City fans,Liverpool  fans twice and Leicester with last Decembers trip been the worse I’ve ever seen.
COVID control at the port didn’t help but what made it worse was Leicester City FC  making their fans collect tickets in Naples instead of sending them to each person before travelling. Some of my group only got their ticket approved on Tuesday before thursdays game.

Unfortunately there is 2 types of organised travel.

If you take free travel or pay peanuts you get Ryanair but people shouldn’t expect the same service as Qatar.

Doing your own thing is a great idea for the more experienced traveller like yourself but many on their first trip away it’s nice to have some help.

1 hour ago, lou said:

Flying into Milan on the Wednesday morning and planning on getting the high speed train to Florence, I know I should pre book this but are the tickets transferable if the flight is delayed or we ages getting through customs?

Last time I used one of the high speed trains (Rome to Milan and back) was a few months ago and I had a SuperEconomy ticket. The ticket states that it is non-changeable and non-refundable. You can buy more flexible tickets, but I believe that any changes need to be made before the departure time. So I think that if you miss your train you are not, according to the terms and conditions at least, entitled to change your ticket.

4 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Last time I used one of the high speed trains (Rome to Milan and back) was a few months ago and I had a SuperEconomy ticket. The ticket states that it is non-changeable and non-refundable. You can buy more flexible tickets, but I believe that any changes need to be made before the departure time. So I think that if you miss your train you are not, according to the terms and conditions at least, entitled to change your ticket.

Thanks, are the trains mega busy? Or could we possibly buy when we get to train station? 

1 hour ago, richiehmfc said:

We went through Amsterdam to Basle for the zurich game, we had about 3 hrs, had a couple of beers then is was about a 20 minute walk to the next gate. This is well sign posted, you had to get your passport checked/stamped but it took about 2 minutes. It was all very easy, even under the influence 

Thanks to all who replied. 👍🏻

1 minute ago, lou said:

Thanks, are the trains mega busy? Or could we possibly buy when we get to train station? 

The trains do often get very busy - but equally there are a lot of trains so you can usually book a seat on the day. Just to give you an idea of the price, if you were arriving in Milan this afternoon, there are quite a lot of tickets on the fast trains to Florence available for 56 Euros one way. Looking ahead to the day before the game, there are some tickets available for 21.90 Euros (although only on a few of the trains). The next cheapest are about 30 Euros.

periodictabledancer
21 minutes ago, lou said:

Given you're travelling midweek and likely not in early morning/evening rush you'll be fine.  It's so much better than UK in all respects. Trains are rarely anywhere near full. 

If you're booking in advance for convenience/peace of mind then give yourself  plenty of time for airport delays/transfers.

There's tons of ticket machines at major stations , in English. 

I've just seen what Stirlo says about being busy.

I've never travelled during peak times and so my experience seems to be very different. 

Edited by periodictabledancer

Any approx idea on train cost from Bologna airport to Santa Maria Novella?....we get in at around 1pm on Wednesday

Also, are taxis OK to sue to get around....our hotel is about 4k from the city centre and dont fancy walking it after the game....hoping to catch a cab from city centre back to the hotel

Has anyone found a simple route because I'm getting Edinburgh to Brussels, to Paris, to Pisa or Bologna. I'm no spending a day sitting in airports. 

15 hours ago, SeanInRome said:

The fan zone is aka safezone. In the UK it’s quite easy to walk up to a stadium with your jacket zipped up and fit in with the crowd here in Italy you’ll be recognized as an away fan even without colors and that’s why the police set up these areas.

In Naples last year Leicester had no alcohol in the fanzine but in Rome for the Semi’s there was alcohol (even in the stadium)

I’d suggest from personal experience to stay in a group, especially the night before.

Like every team the majority of the fans are there to support their teams and have a good time but there is always a few in foreign cities who don’t even go to their stadium just looking to make trouble for traveling fans 

Thanks, I've been to approaching 100 away games with Scotland inc Milan and Bari, and never encountered anything like that.  I appreciate a club game has a different vibe to it, but none-the -less I'm not in a hurry to be herded anywhere!

4 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Has anyone found a simple route because I'm getting Edinburgh to Brussels, to Paris, to Pisa or Bologna. I'm no spending a day sitting in airports. 

Wea are doing Glasgow-heathrow-Bologna....same back on Friday night

Chaka Demus & pliers
5 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

There'll be loads of ways but all probably involving a connection if you want to keep costs down...certainly for Wed-Fri anyway.

One I saw earlier was:

Edinburgh-Bristol-Rome

Milan-Paris-Edinburgh

All easyjet flights and about £230pp

Whitburn Hearts

Anyone going out on the Ryanair 9.50am from Manchester to Pisa on the Wed morning with a stop over in Vienna for a couple of hours ?

Nucky Thompson
2 minutes ago, allyjambo said:

Edinburgh to Turin is still only £182 for Tues to Saturday. 

That's decent, seeing as I paid £300 return on Saturday morning for Edinburgh to Milan on the same days

8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Will we all get tickets? Will there be enough? 

Someone convince me before I book this. :smile:

It's the most popular of the 3 trips but I still think we'll have enough. We're looking at circa 2,400 tickets.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

It's the most popular of the 3 trips but I still think we'll have enough. We're looking at circa 2,400 tickets.

Cheers Liam. I've booked my flights from Edinburgh to Turin 11th to the 15th. Cannae miss this one. 🤞

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

Cheers Liam. I've booked my flights from Edinburgh to Turin 11th to the 15th. Cannae miss this one. 🤞

Nice one. I'm the same, big Serie A nut and this was the one tie I wanted when I seen the pots.

Gorgie_Rules

For anyone still looking to book there is some very cheap flights still available to and from london.

Don’t trust skyscanner to put you via london, try work out your own travel by flight or train around the times.

Just now, hmfc_liam06 said:

Nice one. I'm the same, big Serie A nut and this was the one tie I wanted when I seen the pots.

Absolutely mate. If it's the one away game I was ever going to, it's Hearts in Italy. 👍

35 minutes ago, Whitburn Hearts said:

Anyone going out on the Ryanair 9.50am from Manchester to Pisa on the Wed morning with a stop over in Vienna for a couple of hours ?

Aye me and a mate. 

What's your return route?

Edited by graygo

Whitburn Hearts
9 minutes ago, graygo said:

Aye me and a mate. 

What's your return route?

It's Pisa to Manchester direct

3 minutes ago, Whitburn Hearts said:

It's Pisa to Manchester direct

I take it that's the Friday flight?

We're Saturday via Brussels, pity not the same as might have been able to car share. See you at the bar in MCR.

We're Edin to Pisa via London 9.25am on the Wednesday and then back at 12.25pm on the Friday.

I thought the flight back was 3.45pm but that's the London > Edin flight 🤦‍♂️

Booked the train back to Pisa but will be tight for getting back, does anyone know if train tickets can be amended? Or if I can just jump on an earlier one with my ticket?

Was hoping to see a wee bit of Pisa on the Friday but that might not happen now.

If you fancy a five hour drive to East Midlands and fly out 0730 on the Wednesday to Pisa and fly back from Pisa 0635 on Sunday 16th Ryanair flights are currently £44 per person return 

Whitburn Hearts
17 minutes ago, graygo said:

I take it that's the Friday flight?

We're Saturday via Brussels, pity not the same as might have been able to car share. See you at the bar in MCR.

Aye we are back Friday morning . See you at the bar . 

2 minutes ago, Whitburn Hearts said:

I'm in there to from Wed night to Friday morning . 

Nice one, I'm there from Tues to Friday,  See you there! 👍

• davemclaren changed the title to ***Official FIORENTINA Travel Thread - Meet up arrangements ***