European travel thread

The_razors_edge

19 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I am no expert on Euro football (🙄) but we nominate our stadium from qualifying and that’s it. We can’t chop and change.

I thought we could change after the qualifier ?

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Hogfather

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

3 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

What a joke this new model is.

Take Linfield for example:

Champions League Qualifiers

Lose 8 - 1 on aggregate.

Move down and lose 5 nil on aggregate then get another chance in conference League..

How can you still be in Europe after losing 3 ****ing games in a row!

I agree. I never liked the fact that you can lose the tie but are still in a European competition, but now that it's to our benefit, I'll take it!😉

For anyone who hasn't booked train tickets back to Zurich from St Gallen on Friday morning for an early flight then the early trains have sold out. First  train that has availability is now the 8.07 and arriving at Zurich HB at 9.21. this means i'll miss my flight so having to leave after the game and stay with a pal in Zurich to make sure i'm on the plane. Stupidly I thought you could just turn up and buy before you board and was planning the first train out which is the 6.02 to make sure i'm at the airport for around 7.30.  Don't get caught out!

5 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

What a joke this new model is.

Take Linfield for example:

Champions League Qualifiers

Lose 8 - 1 on aggregate.

Move down and lose 5 nil on aggregate then get another chance in conference League..

How can you still be in Europe after losing 3 ****ing games in a row!

Didn't this happen to the green ease cheek last year where  they lost every tie and were out of 3 European competitions before xmas 😂

Anyone got any cheap routes back on the Friday? 

I’m sorted but got a mate who has to be back by the Saturday so can’t get the Milan / Turin train then. 

He’s planning on getting the same flight as me on the Tuesday to Turin. 

25 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

For anyone who hasn't booked train tickets back to Zurich from St Gallen on Friday morning for an early flight then the early trains have sold out. First  train that has availability is now the 8.07 and arriving at Zurich HB at 9.21. this means i'll miss my flight so having to leave after the game and stay with a pal in Zurich to make sure i'm on the plane. Stupidly I thought you could just turn up and buy before you board and was planning the first train out which is the 6.02 to make sure i'm at the airport for around 7.30.  Don't get caught out!

You might check the official SBB.ch website (there is an English option) as I’ve been caught before by some other websites telling me Swiss trains are booked out when there was hardly anyone on them. This website also tells you if a train is normally busy or empty. There are some limited special offers for use on specific trains only that do sell out - but you only save a few franc - and  most Swiss people I know just buy the flexible ticket for the day at the station and then get on first train that appears. Worst scenario is they then have to stand - but can’t imagine the first train out of St Gallen would be that mad.

I think it is normally possible to buy a ticket the day before at the machines in the station (so you get a few minutes longer in bed) but a fair few years since I’ve done that.

Most (all?) trains from St Gallen will stop at Zurich Airport/Flughaven station a few minutes before reaching Zurich HB so that should also simply the return.

Good luck.

6 minutes ago, IanV said:

You might check the official SBB.ch website (there is an English option) as I’ve been caught before by some other websites telling me Swiss trains are booked out when there was hardly anyone on them. This website also tells you if a train is normally busy or empty. There are some limited special offers for use on specific trains only that do sell out - but you only save a few franc - and  most Swiss people I know just buy the flexible ticket for the day at the station and then get on first train that appears. Worst scenario is they then have to stand - but can’t imagine the first train out of St Gallen would be that mad.

I think it is normally possible to buy a ticket the day before at the machines in the station (so you get a few minutes longer in bed) but a fair few years since I’ve done that.

Most (all?) trains from St Gallen will stop at Zurich Airport/Flughaven station a few minutes before reaching Zurich HB so that should also simply the return.

Good luck.

Ok thanks for that pal and I appreciate the helpful information you’ve posted. I’ll see if i can buy a return when I land on Tuesday buts it’s handy to have a back up option if it goes spear shaped for me 🤞

1 hour ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Very rarely are any seats reserved on Swiss trains. And if the train is full you just stand.
I doubt you'll have a problem getting on at that time though. All looking quiet - I don't see your 06:02 train though
image.thumb.png.b8df4975d664c3e787d4aeed12426d95.png

Frank Sidebottom
11 minutes ago, Official_AB said:

Anyone on the Edinburgh > Brussels > Zurich flight on Wednesday???

No. But going Edinburgh > Frankfurt > Zurich on Wednesday 

10 hours ago, Gorgierools said:

Rome and Monaco expensive. Berlin a top night out.

GUess what I'm sayin is that while I'd love a gam ein Berlin, you'd not be guaranteed a ticket, which for me anywqy wouldn't be palatable.

4 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

I’m sorted but got a mate who has to be back by the Saturday so can’t get the Milan / Turin train then. 

There's a cheap flight (easyJet) back to Edinburgh from CDG late Friday night if you can get to Paris. 

4 hours ago, Algy said:

Very rarely are any seats reserved on Swiss trains. And if the train is full you just stand.
I doubt you'll have a problem getting on at that time though. All looking quiet - I don't see your 06:02 train though
image.thumb.png.b8df4975d664c3e787d4aeed12426d95.png

I was looking at the Rome to Rio app earlier in the week and saw plenty early trains from St Gallen. Then looked today in the same app and could only see the first train with availability on the 19th being the 8.07. On that app and Trainline,  o early trains are even listed so assumes it was sold out. What website is that you’re looking at pal? Be great if I could get on the 6.07 train back to get a few hours sleep after a celebratory drink or two after the game.  Maybe the 6.02 was in fact the 6.07 train. Tbh I’ve looked at so many different flights, airports, trains and stations to get there that it’s confusing the life out of me. 🚂 🚤 🚌 &✈️ fly right enough lol.

Thanks for the update though as it’s putting my mind at rest 

Edited by SMJ_1874

5 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Flying back direct Basel to Manchester on Friday, gets in at 7pm ish. 

Drive back up the road or bus, or depending how early he needs to be up the road Saturday could stay and get the train early doors.

Have Hearts announced how many tickets are available and loyalty points.

Tried the website.  Found nothing.

Great see Sold Out again for the Dundee United game though.

Absolutely terrific support.

4 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Have Hearts announced how many tickets are available and loyalty points.

Tried the website.  Found nothing.

Great see Sold Out again for the Dundee United game though.

Absolutely terrific support.

2400 tickets at away game i am sure. 

Anybody on the Edinburgh- Dublin - Memmingen route on Wednesday? 3 of us have an overnight stay in Memmingen before a short bus trip to St Gallen on Thursday morning

19 hours ago, eck1874 said:

13:00 flight to Zurich via Amsterdam on Wed.  Any other Jambos on this route

Two of us are getting there this way

3 hours ago, jt_bob said:

Anybody on the Edinburgh- Dublin - Memmingen route on Wednesday? 3 of us have an overnight stay in Memmingen before a short bus trip to St Gallen on Thursday morning

Flying to memmingen from palma on Thursday. Expect to be on 12.06 train.what bus are you on?

1 hour ago, braveheart said:

Flying to memmingen from palma on Thursday. Expect to be on 12.06 train.what bus are you on?

10:40 from Memmingen, see you in St Gallen 😃

image.png.0309f23fdb00bef503c26d7900e5888a.pngCame up with this earlier today. Need to get back to Zurich after match but doable if it’s an in n out job that’s required. I need to be home Friday teatime for a family party. 
Really tempted by a night in Palma on the way out. 

Not long back from M&S at the Gyle and the Swiss francs are going like hot cakes. Apparently lots of other places have sold out but M&S still have a limited supply. 10CHF notes are all sold out though 

I've given up trying to get there.

Have a budget of £500 for me and my two sons but not happening.

Gutted as would have loved to take the boys away for me and their first euro trip.

8 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

Gutted as would have loved to take the boys away for me and their first euro trip.

I'd also love a Euro trip as I haven't had one but made the decision early on that Zurich would be too complicated so am hanging off to see who we get drawn against in the group stage. With more warning, hopefully it'll be a bit easier to organise.

The Hogfather
17 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

Those who gambled early are the ones who'll make it out. It's harsh, but the quick turnaround time meant waiting was always going to make it difficult. Still got the groups to come though.

The Real Maroonblood
22 minutes ago, 1953 said:

I'd also love a Euro trip as I haven't had one but made the decision early on that Zurich would be too complicated so am hanging off to see who we get drawn against in the group stage. With more warning, hopefully it'll be a bit easier to organise.

I’m sure it will be a lot easier to organise in the group stages.

Heartsmad1874
3 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

Those who gambled early are the ones who'll make it out. It's harsh, but the quick turnaround time meant waiting was always going to make it difficult. Still got the groups to come though.

Yeah unfortunately anyone that was waiting for the official line from the club that it was the 18th was always at risk of being priced out, as loads of people flocked to buy the cheapest flights and hotels. Had a look the other day and the direct flight to Zurich was up at £700+ when it was only £300+ on the day of the draw. 

Managed to bag flights with Easyjet to Basel for £170 on the day of the draw but they quickly sold out for the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

The Hogfather
20 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Yeah unfortunately anyone that was waiting for the official line from the club that it was the 18th was always at risk of being priced out, as loads of people flocked to buy the cheapest flights and hotels. Had a look the other day and the direct flight to Zurich was up at £700+ when it was only £300+ on the day of the draw. 

Managed to bag flights with Easyjet to Basel for £170 on the day of the draw but they quickly sold out for the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

The flight back from Milan that we booked for 25 Euros is now up to £260. You can still do Turin-Turin and go down the train route for £122, but you're going to add on an extra £140 for that.

3 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Decided to take my daughter on her first euro trip, my 13th, booked everything this morning, flights direct £700 each, accommodation £280 2 nights. 
Win or lose we’re on the booze

FTH

We Can But Worry

5 of us on the 0745 Jet2 flight from Manchester to Innsbruck on Wednesday morning.  Cost us £40 each 10 days ago.  Still available for £61 as we speak.  3.5 hour train journey to St Gallen.

On 12/08/2022 at 11:38, ericb said:

Anyone on the 19.05 to Zurich on Tuesday?

yeh I’m on this, feel free to say hello! 

Edited by VivaObua

Anybody on the Dublin to Memmingen flight on Weds we have 3 spaces left on minibus to St Gallen £40 each as last train is away just after we land

On 12/08/2022 at 13:49, JAYEL said:

Will we play Man Utd. / Arsenal @ Tynecastle ?

I would prefer it but revenue from Murrayfield  would be huge

Can't remember the fixture dates but mind murrayfield won't be available for the whole of November. Plus the would be the cost of  'renting it'

Is anyone getting the Zurich to Edinburgh 6.30am flight Friday morning? Seemed like a good idea to get back home to help with the kids etc but regretting it now 😂

Edited by VivaObua

3 hours ago, We Can But Worry said:

5 of us on the 0745 Jet2 flight from Manchester to Innsbruck on Wednesday morning.  Cost us £40 each 10 days ago.  Still available for £61 as we speak.  3.5 hour train journey to St Gallen.

What day is this?

We Can But Worry
9 hours ago, Tull1874 said:

Decided to take my daughter on her first euro trip, my 13th, booked everything this morning, flights direct £700 each, accommodation £280 2 nights. 
Win or lose we’re on the booze

FTH

looking forward to catching up with you and Tulloch on Wed night 

2 hours ago, Tyne Castle said:

Anybody on the Dublin to Memmingen flight on Weds we have 3 spaces left on minibus to St Gallen £40 each as last train is away just after we land

3 of us on that flight but we’re staying in Memmingen Wednesday night £100 for triple room and getting the Flixbus to  St Gallen on Thursday morning for €8.99 each

18 hours ago, mellors1874 said:

Likewise I have been looking for myself and my three kids (all season ticket holders) but it's just proving too expensive for the four of us.  I now just need to hope we manage to get to one of the group stage games - which in theory will be easier as there will be more notice and certainty around them.

1 hour ago, We Can But Worry said:

Wed 0745

Thanks.  How much is the train costing you?  I am trying to find something that's affordable for me and my three kids!  

We Can But Worry
30 minutes ago, tazhearts said:

Thanks.  How much is the train costing you?  I am trying to find something that's affordable for me and my three kids!  

We are planning the 1347 train which changes at Buchs and arrives at St Gallen at 1720. This train is 58 euro. There are cheaper trains but more changes and take 5 hours 

maroonplatoon87

I have the following if someone is interested.

For 2 people.

would require a name change of course.

Cost me £400.

Open to offers

07707585956 get me on whatsapp

ADFACE45-68BB-4037-BF2C-D8388FC4FF5D.png

7B853300-360D-4B01-94E3-DE7E809DEFB1.png

Frank Sidebottom
On 14/08/2022 at 09:32, VivaObua said:

Is anyone getting the Zurich to Edinburgh 6.30am flight Friday morning? Seemed like a good idea to get back home to help with the kids etc but regretting it now 😂

Me. 

plan to get train from St Gallen back to airport and just wait for the flight.   Will be brutal but not worth a hotel. 

On 13/08/2022 at 01:33, SMJ_1874 said:

I was looking at the Rome to Rio app earlier in the week and saw plenty early trains from St Gallen. Then looked today in the same app and could only see the first train with availability on the 19th being the 8.07. On that app and Trainline,  o early trains are even listed so assumes it was sold out. What website is that you’re looking at pal? Be great if I could get on the 6.07 train back to get a few hours sleep after a celebratory drink or two after the game.  Maybe the 6.02 was in fact the 6.07 train. Tbh I’ve looked at so many different flights, airports, trains and stations to get there that it’s confusing the life out of me. 🚂 🚤 🚌 &✈️ fly right enough lol.

Thanks for the update though as it’s putting my mind at rest 

That was from the Swiss Railways website. I think it has been mentioned before. sbb.ch - very reliable.

1 hour ago, Frank Sidebottom said:

Me. 

plan to get train from St Gallen back to airport and just wait for the flight.   Will be brutal but not worth a hotel. 

Zurich Airport used to have a transit hotel/napping area airside where you could rent a reclining chair in a cubicle ( a bit like the cubicles you see in a hospital ward!). Think it was about SFR50 overnight - which was more comfortable than trying to sleep on one of the normal chairs under full lights. It also gave access to coffee/snacks and a shower. Used it once when a flight was delayed overnight and it wasn’t too bad. https://www.flughafen-zuerich.ch/en/passengers/shopping-and-enjoy/services/all-services/transit-hotel