European travel thread

The_razors_edge

48 minutes ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Know the feeling...........after games at Molenbeek when you can barely talk.

:oohmatron:

🇧🇪🇧🇪
sssh ya wee Bawbag

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Hogfather

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

1 hour ago, Wee Mikey said:

Too true. Add accommodation, ticket, food, and beer tokens to £525 and, depending upon location, it could burst £1K. Measure that for a single game v a Season Ticket.

As for going to all 3? Some folks will. 😃

I reckon that there's likely to be 1 of the 3 ties that's going to be a magnet with the other 2 less attractive, for whatever reason. Or, they may ALL be crackers.

Either way, the demand will be spread over 3 potential trips so likely less of a 'panic' than with the FC Zurich tie. Hence, more likely to be able to book affordable travel.

having said that, probably still have to be quick off the mark given the rapid rise in flight costs to the various 'sensible' Zurich options.

Burst 1k ... ? Ffs would hate to drink and eat in your places  :)

10 hours ago, Ron Maroon said:

I think the basic plan is know pretty much from the draw. UEFA can complicate things to avoid any clashes eg if Rangers and us are both playing on Thursday nights - could be travelling to same countries or even cities. Or same issue for any of our group. So might take some time to confirm. 

Looking at the likely participants there’s lots of countries that will have two or three teams in the Europa league and conference league group stages so games will need to be shifted around.  Even possible that we may play some games on a Wednesday.  Belgrade, Brussels, Nice/Monaco,  Istanbul to name just four cities likely to have more than one participant 

26 minutes ago, the general said:

Burst 1k ... ? Ffs would hate to drink and eat in your places  :)

Like I said, depending upon location. It could easily be £250 for a decent hotel for 2 nights (£220/night Premier Inn during the Festival). As for food/drink ... Zurich! Did you clock the prices? Even a night out in Edinburgh for 2 can easily set you back north of £100 without even trying.

Hence:

525 + 250 (accom) + 100 (food/drink) + 25 (ticket) + 50 (possible local travel) = 950.

Easy-peasy. 😁

The Real Maroonblood
21 minutes ago, Wee Mikey said:

Like I said, depending upon location. It could easily be £250 for a decent hotel for 2 nights (£220/night Premier Inn during the Festival). As for food/drink ... Zurich! Did you clock the prices? Even a night out in Edinburgh for 2 can easily set you back north of £100 without even trying.

Hence:

525 + 250 (accom) + 100 (food/drink) + 25 (ticket) + 50 (possible local travel) = 950.

Easy-peasy. 😁

I'll show the Mrs this and see her reaction.

gorgierulesapply88

I still find it hard to find out why i'm not 'liked' by people, you have alot of 2nd hand information you're right.

I've changed a lot over the years. Believe it or not.

An older guy spilt, a full pint in the stadium and I said watch what your doing various times and there was a wee bit pushing that was it. Then a younger lad, headbutted me and I stuck a few on him before being pushed down the steps which btw where the slippiest steps i've encountered!

I wasn't ushered out the stadium or away from the situation, as I returned from the toilet 5 minutes later. I find crazy that people can have a pop on here when they don't actually know anything about me.

10 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Hence:

Easy-peasy. 😁

I'm budgeting for £200 travel, £200 accommodation & £200 spending. Don't think that's an unreasonable amount, and your £1,000 is easily met if the flight is £525!

2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I'm budgeting for £200 travel, £200 accommodation & £200 spending. Don't think that's an unreasonable amount, and your £1,000 is easily met if the flight is £525!

Flights to palma,palma to memmingen, dusseldorf weeze to Edinburgh, all trains etc,3 nights digs,car park ,all probably worked in for around £250.doing it that way means another 3 trips is doable.

1 hour ago, braveheart said:

Flights to palma,palma to memmingen, dusseldorf weeze to Edinburgh, all trains etc,3 nights digs,car park ,all probably worked in for around £250.doing it that way means another 3 trips is doable.

I quite fancy an adventure similar to that for one of the group matches. 👍

2 hours ago, graygo said:

A good way to have a wee adventure is [depending on venue] looking up matches on the Friday/Saturday/Sunday, if you're anywhere in central Europe you won't be much of a train ride from games and a flight home.

The Hogfather
4 hours ago, graygo said:

We did Italy > Switzerland and back and while it was good fun, the travelling did take it out of us a bit. By the Friday you were just desperate for your own bed. 

16 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

We did Italy > Switzerland and back and while it was good fun, the travelling did take it out of us a bit. By the Friday you were just desperate for your own bed. 

If you're not desperate for your own bed after returning from a Hearts European trip - you're doing it wrong!😍

For the record, my own trip was Newcastle - Edinburgh - Cologne - Basel - Zurich - St Gallen then return St Gallen - Zurich - Basel - Strasbourg - Paris - Edinburgh - Newcastle.

Something like 2800 miles in total and I'd do it all again. Great Trip!

Edited by iainmac

The Hogfather
2 minutes ago, iainmac said:

If you're not desperate for your own bed after returning from a Hearts European trip - you're doing it wrong! 😍

Couldn’t have been happier to get into it on Saturday :laugh: Next one will be shorter, that’s for sure!

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
9 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Makes a change to when we played Mallorca. I was £189 for the week, Club 18-30, flights from Newcastle. Even Feyenoord was only about £120, all in.  :lol:

Hopefully I'll make one group game.

Will be going to the game on a number 4 bus from oxgangs, meeting some jambos in a pub called the Tynecastle Arms. Apparently the stadium will be easy to just walk to from there, fingers crossed we don’t get lost.

17 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Will be going to the game on a number 4 bus from oxgangs, meeting some jambos in a pub called the Tynecastle Arms. Apparently the stadium will be easy to just walk to from there, fingers crossed we don’t get lost.

Let us know how you get on.

41 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

Makes a change to when we played Mallorca. I was £189 for the week, Club 18-30, flights from Newcastle. Even Feyenoord was only about £120, all in.  :lol:

Hopefully I'll make one group game.

I hoping to take my three kids with me 😱.  My budget is £1000 for all four of us!  Cheap flights will be the saviour and make it possible (hopefully). 

36 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Always a challenge making sure you get off at the correct bus stop.  Just ask the driver for either Shandon  or Ardmillan.  Worked the last time I tried it😂

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
2 hours ago, tazhearts said:

I hoping to take my three kids with me 😱.  My budget is £1000 for all four of us!  Cheap flights will be the saviour and make it possible (hopefully). 

The Feyenoord trip was a buy one night, get one free in the cabin on the ferry from Hull. Brilliant trip.

Personally, I'll settle for flying to Amsterdam and getting to wherever from there. Euro trips are great.

The Real Maroonblood
28 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

The Feyenoord trip was a buy one night, get one free in the cabin on the ferry from Hull. Brilliant trip.

Personally, I'll settle for flying to Amsterdam and getting to wherever from there. Euro trips are great.

They certainly are.

Went to Munich by bus with no loo but it was a fantastic trip.

Bordeaux by Hearts charter same day return but it was great.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
26 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

They certainly are.

Went to Munich by bus with no loo but it was a fantastic trip.

Bordeaux by Hearts charter same day return but it was great.

I splashed out for Bordeaux, flew BA via Gatwick, and 5 nights in a nice Central hotel. Loved Bordeaux,too, and a great result.

Also went to Sparta Prague and Liverpool. Every trip had a great story.

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

4 hours ago, BigAlim said:

Stay safe Big Alim, I have heard the locals are a really rough tough bunch.

Be careful in the mean streets of Gorgie.

The Real Maroonblood
37 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

I splashed out for Bordeaux, flew BA via Gatwick, and 5 nights in a nice Central hotel. Loved Bordeaux,too, and a great result.

Also went to Sparta Prague and Liverpool. Every trip had a great story.

👍

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, corryjambo said:

Stay safe Big Alim, I have heard the locals are a really rough tough bunch.

Be careful in the mean streets of Gorgie.

If he's a Bar Ox man he'll be fine. 

4 hours ago, BigAlim said:

If you escape from the Goodies unscathed, you should be fine on the bus.

The Good Companions made Vietnam (Dundee Arms) look like The Raffles Hotel on the one and only time I crossed it’s door.

Be brave.  

The Real Maroonblood
40 minutes ago, Morgan said:

If you escape from the Goodies unscathed, you should be fine on the bus.

The Good Companions made Vietnam (Dundee Arms) look like The Raffles Hotel on the one and only time I crossed it’s door.

Be brave.  

Especially when the army frequented the place.

• 9 months later...

Watched some of episode 6 earlier which includes the game at Tynecastle.  Their pre match talk was all about how this would be the most fans they'd ever played in front of. 

Also spoke about moving from the 3 at the back they played against us in Riga, to only 2 for the game at Tynecastle. They didn't feel they needed 3 at the back against us based on what they learned in the first game, and thought they were in with a great chance of 3 pts.