European travel thread

The_razors_edge

12 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Is there a direct flight Edinburgh to Stuttgart?

No but plenty options for a one stopper. Be quick though

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Hogfather

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

2 hours ago, Homme said:

Looking forward to the "Anywhere in Zurich / St Gallen to watch the Linfield v Hearts" threads.

:yas:

18 minutes ago, J80MBO said:

Anyone explain why we might be at home first despite being drawn away first?

Surely not to accommodate Zurich and their concert at stadium?

With no away goals, being home team 2nd leg is the advantage.

To have to change this advantage due to having a concert already booked in the stadium, like it was almost pre-planned this way or am i being a bit too foil hat on head.

Edited by Gorgie Spiv

1 minute ago, Gorgie Spiv said:

To have to change this advantage due to having a concert already booked in the stadium, like it was almost pre-planned this way or am i being a bit too foil hat on head.

I will miss game if at home leg 1st...

If this gets changed now will be annoying after celebrating away draw today!

Tom Hardy’s Dug
18 minutes ago, Gorgie Spiv said:

I kind of agree with this. 

Why did they book a concert at their stadium on what they would always have known would or might have been a European night and why would UEFA let them away with it.

Makes a mockery of the draw.

Jack Torrance

Absolute nonsense if we agree to play at home first. It's an advantage having the home leg last. And a bonus advantage if they don't get to play at home at all.

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

Absolute nonsense if we agree to play at home first. It's an advantage having the home leg last. And a bonus advantage if they don't get to play at home at all.

Surely Hearts have every right to refuse a swap because of an unrelated football matter.

Jack Torrance
4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Surely Hearts have every right to refuse a swap because of an unrelated football matter.

I suspect Zurich maybe already asked Hearts and we politely declined.

Their website post earlier today seemed to confirm the away leg will be first at the alternative venue so I don't see anything changing.

https://www.fcz.ch/de/profis/news/2022/mogliche-gegner-fur-die-play-offs-bekannt/

The Real Maroonblood
13 minutes ago, Jack Torrance said:

I suspect Zurich maybe already asked Hearts and we politely declined.

Their website post earlier today seemed to confirm the away leg will be first at the alternative venue so I don't see anything changing.

https://www.fcz.ch/de/profis/news/2022/mogliche-gegner-fur-die-play-offs-bekannt/

Good.

27 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Has anyone booked a hotel in Belfast incase the unlikely happens? And where have you booked 

Ive booked the radisson blu mate £148 b’n’b

Edited by ShedBoy

7 hours ago, graygo said:

Beautiful part of the world.

Pity Ryanair stopped the Edinburgh to Memmingen route as it's an easy rail journey to Friedrichshafen then ferry across Lake Konstanz. 

We're going Memmingen via Dublin

2 hours ago, JAMBOBAR said:

We're going Memmingen via Dublin

I see you can get a train direct to St Gallen from Memmingen, takes as little as 1.5 hours and costs about £15.

👍

Edited by graygo

12 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

Same here.

Plenty flying to Basel, some into Italy and others direct to Zurich. I've already booked flights out and have chucked a tenner on Linfield progressing at 8/1. That way I haven't dropped anything on the gamble we're off to Zurich.

Smart move, hedging your bet on the flights.

16 hours ago, The Hogfather said:

Same here.

Plenty flying to Basel, some into Italy and others direct to Zurich. I've already booked flights out and have chucked a tenner on Linfield progressing at 8/1. That way I haven't dropped anything on the gamble we're off to Zurich.

Pretty smart idea that tbf

Batistuta87

Anyone flying BA, I have a £180 e-voucher I won't use. I'll sell it for £80 just to get rid so ultimately you'll save £100. 

Edited by Batistuta87

thehibsareintheirbeds
1 hour ago, the general said:

Looks like Edinburgh to Basel is full

Was too feared to book anything but looking like it could be a struggle getting there direct now!

May need to rely on a hearts charter or a linfield miracle.

Heartsmad1874
1 minute ago, Tour22 said:

Hopefully hearts still announce something this evening. Really hoping the date doesn't change.

Will be by 5pm i'm sure but they aren't half taking their time.

2 hours ago, thehibsareintheirbeds said:

Was too feared to book anything but looking like it could be a struggle getting there direct now!

Still Swiss Air flight available Edinburgh to Zurich Tuesday pm back early Friday.

There's an option to pay £10.50 extra that gives you 80% of the cost of the flight back if cancelled for any reason.

2 minutes ago, Rudolf said:

Still Swiss Air flight available Edinburgh to Zurich Tuesday pm back early Friday.

There's an option to pay £10.50 extra that gives you 80% of the cost of the flight back if cancelled for any reason.

That's booking through Opodo that gives you the cancellation option.

The Hogfather
3 hours ago, thehibsareintheirbeds said:

There's a direct train link to Zurich from Milan. Don't think flights out that way are too expensive just yet.

We looked at the Milan route. 2 things put us off. First the direct flight gets you into Milan at 23.45 so you have to stay there till morning. There was another way to get there earlier but 1stop and double the price.

2nd, the train return was nearly as expensive as the flight

Got too complex and expensive and wasting too much time travelling so we binned that idea but maybe we missed something workable I suppose

Flight was £250 for anyone who fancies a look

Edited by JimmyCant

Heartsmad1874
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We looked at the Milan route. 2 things put us off. First the direct flight gets you into Milan at 23.45 so you have to stay there till morning. There was another way to get there earlier but 1stop and double the price.

Got too complex and expensive and wasting too much time travelling so we binned that idea but maybe we missed something workable I suppose

Edinburgh - Basel then onwards from there was the most popular one to be honest. 

Certainly what i've gone for just hoping we get confirmation of dates asap

3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Flight going to Turin was cheaper yesterday.

Getting to/from Zurich the flixbus was more affordable than the train and only an hour longer.

3 minutes ago, ModJambo said:

Flight going to Turin was cheaper yesterday.

Getting to/from Zurich the flixbus was more affordable than the train and only an hour longer.

Direct to Turin ? Who with mate ?

GorgieOnTour

wed to fri.

Edin direct to Geneva return.

Train to St Gallen return 

£375 

Edited by GorgieOnTour

Good find. Even cheaper if you take 1 quick stop in Brussels going out 

5 minutes ago, GorgieOnTour said:

Edin direct to Geneva return.

Train to St Gallen return 

£375 

Edited by JimmyCant

bean counter
23 hours ago, ericb said:

Anyone care to share details already, I have booked EDI - ZUR on Tuesday night, anyone else?

I've not booked travel yet but I have booked a hotel in Zurich but am thinking of booking in St Gallen and cancelling Zurich

Heartsmad1874
1 minute ago, Poseidon said:

Hopefully it doesn't get moved to the Tuesday or some nonsense like that

UEFA said yesterday during the draw confirmation would be communicated to clubs by 5pm UK time 6pm local time in Switzerland. So no idea why we are still waiting.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

hmfc_liam06
5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Good find. Even cheaper if you take 1 quick stop in Brussels going out 

The connection in Brussels is only 1hr and according to Google Flights, the Edi to Bru flight is often delayed by 30+ minutes. Dicey.

29 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Direct to Turin ? Who with mate ?

Ryanair mate.

Fly out on the Tuesday at about 5pm.

Heartsmad1874
1 minute ago, ModJambo said:

Ryanair mate.

Just seen that flight for £55 or so on Ryanair. Are you staying overnight in Turin as it seems to arrive late or travelling to Swiss on bus overnight?

7 minutes ago, ModJambo said:

Ryanair mate.

See it now. Out Tuesday back. Saturday. Too long for our group for time off

8 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Just seen that flight for £55 or so on Ryanair. Are you staying overnight in Turin as it seems to arrive late or travelling to Swiss on bus overnight?

Will be staying overnight in Turin yes.

The Hogfather
57 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Was £34 when we booked it yesterday. Staying in Turin on the Tuesday and then train to St Gallen from there. Worked out at about £366 including trains and hotels. 

Nucky Thompson

There's flights from Edinburgh to Milan, Wednesday to Saturday for £108 return

One stopover in Bristol going out and direct coming back.

Train to Zurich is between £50-£80 return depending on what time.

It's cheaper if you get the Friday afternoon train from Zurich and stay the one night in Milan

Wed out, Sat back, to Zurich. Not changing my Zurich hotel as return flight is at 07:30. Really hoping the management at Zurich or UEFA see sense and make it an early Kickoff.

I can cancel the hotel up to midnight on the Sunday before and have £35 on Linfield at 8/1 to qualify as insurance for the flights, so am covered for a cupset.

3 hours ago, bean counter said:

I've not booked travel yet but I have booked a hotel in Zurich but am thinking of booking in St Gallen and cancelling Zurich

All right mate, 

I've booked Zurich and st gallen, both can be cancelled free, I'm thinking Tuesday night in Zurich and wed - Fri in st gallen 

Jambos_1874

Booked hotels in Zurich. St Gallen and Belfast and can cancel up until a few days before the match as required. If we get Zurich I think I'll just stay in St Gallen. There seem to be multiple options for flights to airports the wider region of Zurich so should be covered there.

Is anyone planning on travelling to the match themselves? I'm desperate to go to an away game but annoyingly all the people I go to Hearts games with only go to home matches and very rarely travel to away matches so won't have enough loyalty points for this match (and aren't keen on travelling anyway). I'll be going regardless but hopefully I'm not the only one travelling on their tod!

3 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Booked hotels in Zurich. St Gallen and Belfast and can cancel up until a few days before the match as required. If we get Zurich I think I'll just stay in St Gallen. There seem to be multiple options for flights to airports the wider region of Zurich so should be covered there.

Is anyone planning on travelling to the match themselves? I'm desperate to go to an away game but annoyingly all the people I go to Hearts games with only go to home matches and very rarely travel to away matches so won't have enough loyalty points for this match (and aren't keen on travelling anyway). I'll be going regardless but hopefully I'm not the only one travelling on their tod!

You'd be more than welcome to meet up with us.

Think we'd be basing ourselves in Zurich however.