European travel thread

The_razors_edge

2 hours ago, Frank Sidebottom said:

Me. 

plan to get train from St Gallen back to airport and just wait for the flight.   Will be brutal but not worth a hotel. 

Same plan for me, You booked train back to airport yet? I’ve just been looking, seems about a tenner and last one is half 11. Glad it’s the 7 KO and not 9! 

• Replies 878
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Real Maroonblood

• The Hogfather

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

Not sure if anyone has checked but I think I'll need to rethink the packing of shorts and swap them for some waterproofs....

Looks a "tad" wet and thundery Thursday and Friday over there. 

N Lincs Jambo
On 13/08/2022 at 03:22, Kiwidoug said:

Have Hearts announced how many tickets are available and loyalty points.

Tried the website.  Found nothing.

Great see Sold Out again for the Dundee United game though.

Absolutely terrific support.

2,400 and tickets now in phase 3 of sales so anyone with a purchase history can now get a ticket. This from the official website.

1 hour ago, mbhmfc said:

Not sure if anyone has checked but I think I'll need to rethink the packing of shorts and swap them for some waterproofs....

Looks a "tad" wet and thundery Thursday and Friday over there. 

The Thursday doesn’t look too bad sunny with some showers and thunder. Hopefully it will change to sunny both days 

Victor Meldrew

Just booked - live in SW England so flying from Heathrow on BA (had vouchers) and staying at the Airport to get the 07.15 flight back on Friday morning. Need to get back to Zurich after the game, but the 7pm kick-off should help and hopefully the trains will be OK.

TheGrorgieBoys

I have a spare ticket going if anyone is looking for one. 

Can't make the trip anymore so giving it away for free. Drop me a PM

2 hours ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

2,400 and tickets now in phase 3 of sales so anyone with a purchase history can now get a ticket. This from the official website.

Only 700 tickets sold so far. Very much doubt we'll even have 1000 at the game and section D3 is now a neutral zone

6 hours ago, Algy said:

That was from the Swiss Railways website. I think it has been mentioned before. sbb.ch - very reliable.

Thanks for this. Yeh I've checked other sites and the SBB has plenty trains going to Zurich airport before my flight departs. can have a few celebration beers now before I get up at 5am on the Friday 

Jambo in Yorkshire
17 minutes ago, Rudi Hates Hibees said:

Is there any advantage to booking the trains in advance? 

On the SBB app there is an option to book a specific train or you can book a flexible ticket if you aren’t sure what train you will travel on.

Frank Sidebottom
5 hours ago, VivaObua said:

Same plan for me, You booked train back to airport yet? I’ve just been looking, seems about a tenner and last one is half 11. Glad it’s the 7 KO and not 9! 

Haven’t booked the train yet, thinking it should be fine to sort it when getting tickets to St Gallen at the airport. Can’t see either the half 10 or half 11 one being busy. 

2 minutes ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

On the SBB app there is an option to book a specific train or you can book a flexible ticket if you aren’t sure what train you will travel on.

No real advantage (and not much cost saving) to tying yourself to a specific train (unlike in Scotland). Most Swiss just buy the normal second class ticket and use any train (or combination of trains) that gets them from A to B. Plenty of easy to use ticket machines in all stations and there is an English option.

On 14/08/2022 at 09:32, VivaObua said:

Is anyone getting the Zurich to Edinburgh 6.30am flight Friday morning? Seemed like a good idea to get back home to help with the kids etc but regretting it now 😂

watching you boy 😉

N Lincs Jambo
1 hour ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Only 700 tickets sold so far. Very much doubt we'll even have 1000 at the game and section D3 is now a neutral zone

Surprising tbh. Not going to Zurich but have been to quite a few away games in Europe starting with PSG in 1984. We always seemed to take an absolute minimum of 1500 away. Mind you cost of living nowadays may have played a part.

2 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Surprising tbh. Not going to Zurich but have been to quite a few away games in Europe starting with PSG in 1984. We always seemed to take an absolute minimum of 1500 away. Mind you cost of living nowadays may have played a part.

Seem a bit of a ball ache to get to consider it's no that far away. Seen one on twitter, Edinburgh to Dublin, Dublin to Germany, train from Germany to st Gall. Return is train to Basel, flight to France, France to Edinburgh. Wait in France is nearly 5 hours.

9 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Be surprised if 1500 in Athens or Zagreb mate-I’d had a few at both mind you

The Real Maroonblood
11 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Fair comment.

I also think people are waiting to see the group stages.

It’s something we’ve not really had.

41 minutes ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

I thought we’d take 1000-1500 but ticket sales say other wise. Not a lot you can do except hope the team put on a show and get us a result over two legs. I’m sure if the airlines played fair there would be double that amount going though. 

The Hogfather
1 hour ago, 1rousset said:

900 in Zagreb, no idea about Athens.

To be fair anything close to 1k is decent.

you have to bear in mind there are a further 3 away games to go to. We would be taking more if it was a one off game, but when there is the choice of another 3 games, many will wait and head to one of those.

I was desperate to go to this but the cost and logistics, combined with only finding out the opponent/venue relatively close to the game has meant that this is just not possible for me. I'll try to go to the group stage games once known but will sadly have to miss this one. I hope all of you going to it have a great time and we get a result.

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Fair comment.

I know lots of people in that situation. Myself being one. 

I'll only get to one of theses games I'd imagine so looking to pick the most attractive one to me in the groups. 

5 hours ago, Victor Meldrew said:

Just booked - live in SW England so flying from Heathrow on BA (had vouchers) and staying at the Airport to get the 07.15 flight back on Friday morning. Need to get back to Zurich after the game, but the 7pm kick-off should help and hopefully the trains will be OK.

Is that the 12:10 flight out on Thursday arriving Zürich at 15:00?

Will it not be a bit of a scramble to get to match in good time?

Thanks

I’ve left it late to plan this trip so this may have been discussed already,

what are peoples thoughts on the best way to get from centre of St Gallen to the stadium? I think it’s over 4 miles away!

The Real Maroonblood
9 hours ago, Homme said:

I know lots of people in that situation. Myself being one. 

I'll only get to one of theses games I'd imagine so looking to pick the most attractive one to me in the groups. 

Same here.

The following might be of interest to anyone travelling on the 19.35 direct flight from Edinburgh to Zurich and staying overnight at one of the airport hotels. 
We were on yesterday’s flight which arrived at 23.00, approximately five minutes late. It took an hour to go through to the other side of the airport, get through immigration and pick up our bags. Meaning it was midnight when we arrived at the hotel pick up area only to find lots of people waiting for the hotel shuttles that unknown to us finished running at 20.10 and very few taxis that were not returning to the airport after dropping their fares. Whilst we eventually managed to cadge a lift from a shuttle bus that was intended to pick up cabin crew otherwise we could had been stranded for some time like the others waiting for non existent shuttle buses that were not going to come. Not complaining, but thought anyone similarly travelling should be aware.

5 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

what are peoples thoughts on the best way to get from centre of St Gallen to the stadium? I think it’s over 4 miles away!

Free public transport if you are staying at a hotel according the one I booked and then a few hundred meters walk.

6 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Free bus/trams with a match ticket supposedly. It looks a fare bit out and in the middle of a industrial/shopping area so defo better drinking in the town 

Victor Meldrew
6 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Going by Google Maps, train to St Gallen Winkeln looks easiest. Managed to book it on the Trainline App as well.

Victor Meldrew
7 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Is that the 12:10 flight out on Thursday arriving Zürich at 15:00?

Will it not be a bit of a scramble to get to match in good time?

Thanks

12.10, arrives 1500. We're going hand luggage only and have booked a hotel at the Circle at the airport. 1703 from Zurich HB to St Gallen so should be OK.

11 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

I thought we’d take 1000-1500 but ticket sales say other wise. Not a lot you can do except hope the team put on a show and get us a result over two legs. I’m sure if the airlines played fair there would be double that amount going though. 

I thought we might have around 1000. But I think the fact we have 3 guaranteed away games after this one coupled with the whole cost of living issues and the short notice for getting time off work/arranging travel are all significant factors in the numbers travelling.  

Midloth_Iain

Zurich fans taking an interest in our travel plans.

https://www.fczforum.ch/forum/topic18746-7.html

Re: FCZ - Hearts: EL Playoffs, kybunpark, Do 18.8.22, 19:00

•  

contributionfrom circulating air » 08/15/22 @ 19:31

The Hearts fans are believed to be quite fond of traveling and will probably appear in quite large numbers in St. Gallen (some speak of 800, others even of over 1200). Because of our start to the season, they are (rightly?) pretty optimistic that this will hold up against us (except for a few cautious users). It is also interesting to see which paths they take.

use the Translate to English option

We_are_the_Hearts
2 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Zurich fans taking an interest in our travel plans.

https://www.fczforum.ch/forum/topic18746-7.html

Re: FCZ - Hearts: EL Playoffs, kybunpark, Do 18.8.22, 19:00

•  

contributionfrom circulating air » 08/15/22 @ 19:31

The Hearts fans are believed to be quite fond of traveling and will probably appear in quite large numbers in St. Gallen (some speak of 800, others even of over 1200). Because of our start to the season, they are (rightly?) pretty optimistic that this will hold up against us (except for a few cautious users). It is also interesting to see which paths they take.

use the Translate to English option

Wheres the translate to English option?

Midloth_Iain
Just now, We_are_the_Hearts said:

try right clicking your mouse (if on Chrome)

14 minutes ago, We_are_the_Hearts said:

Or pull the page down and the translate option will be at the top

Then click icon on the left for English

Edinburgh - Zurich direct flights are back on sale now. 

£387 return, out Thursday am back Friday. 

N Lincs Jambo
13 hours ago, Sir Craig Gordon said:

Seem a bit of a ball ache to get to consider it's no that far away. Seen one on twitter, Edinburgh to Dublin, Dublin to Germany, train from Germany to st Gall. Return is train to Basel, flight to France, France to Edinburgh. Wait in France is nearly 5 hours.

Christ that is a ball ache. I know there used to be a daily flight between Manchester and Zurich around 7.45am (had to use it regularly for work a long time ago). No idea if it still exists.

13 hours ago, 1rousset said:

Sadly wasn't at either of those games. Probably the smallest Hearts away support I've been in would have been Prague in 92. I would estimate a good 1200 there. Also went to Paris 84 and Munich 89 where we took huge supports, also Dublin and Madrid where our support was decent. Almost 30 years ago that Madrid game though.

13 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Fair comment.

Would be good if the club could work out a package for the 3 away games. A good mate of mine in Austria (Rapid supporter) told me that Rapid did that when they qualified for the CL.

25 minutes ago, mbhmfc said:

Think it's about a hundred quid dearer already

31 minutes ago, mbhmfc said:

Is that the 0835 one ? Two of us on it

17 minutes ago, chefjambo1 said:

Is that the 0835 one ? Two of us on it

Thats the one. 

24 minutes ago, the general said:

Think it's about a hundred quid dearer already

Showing cheaper now, £352 return. 

image.thumb.png.cf090ebc14c9276b892f629f1236a597.png

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, N Lincs Jambo said:

Christ that is a ball ache. I know there used to be a daily flight between Manchester and Zurich around 7.45am (had to use it regularly for work a long time ago). No idea if it still exists.

Sadly wasn't at either of those games. Probably the smallest Hearts away support I've been in would have been Prague in 92. I would estimate a good 1200 there. Also went to Paris 84 and Munich 89 where we took huge supports, also Dublin and Madrid where our support was decent. Almost 30 years ago that Madrid game though.

Would be good if the club could work out a package for the 3 away games. A good mate of mine in Austria (Rapid supporter) told me that Rapid did that when they qualified for the CL.

That would be a great idea.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Midloth_Iain
1 minute ago, Rudi Hates Hibees said:

Is there a square or area in St Gallen for pre match? 

Yes, the Gallusplatz

Heartsmad1874

All the easy and cheap routes were booked up straight away. Was well worth the risk considering what the prices are now.

EDI-BSL tomorrow morning.

Rudi Hates Hibees
6 minutes ago, Midloth_Iain said:

Yes, the Gallusplatz

Cheers.

Me and wee lad heading over day of the game on the 8.35 direct flight. 

Edited by Rudi Hates Hibees

Just now, Rudi Hates Hibees said:

Cheers.

Me and leg lad heading over day of the game on the 8.35 direct flight. 

3DCD7578-11B9-4706-A839-400A0E0C4703.jpeg