***** Official Heart of Midlothian v The Rangers Scottish Cup Final 2022 Match Thread *****

Jambos_1874

Less than 58 hours to go by my reckoning.  Serious point here.  That's a very short time for the vast bulk of the Rangers players to recover from an intense, extra time encounter in the heat resulting in a devastating loss.

There is every prospect, as I have previously posted, that we will run them ragged in the last 20 minutes.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iantjambo

• Don Dan

• Riccarton3

• Harry Potter

Just get into them hearts, Will be difficult match but they are their for the taking,we can absolutely do this. Having said that as long as we give everything on the pitch I will be satisfied. HHGH!! 

:flag1:

Салатные палочки

This has probably been covered already on the thread but has the squad went away anywhere to prepare? 

I don't really care about what happened last night or what impact it might or might not have.  On Saturday, it's about what we do.  If we do our best, and if the game is refereed fairly, then we have a chance.

3 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

I’m just thinking back to 98. I went with a mate from Birdiehouse. Sat pished in that sun. Face was same colour as my scarf. When the first goal went in by Adam I near fell into the next row. Been on the bevy all morning and on route. The Erse cheeks ground wasn’t finished yet. Sat where the old jungle used to be. 

Then the penalty. Yasss. I’ve never sobered up so fast as I did especially when McCoust came on. What a day and was in total disbelief. When we got back and the parade. That was unreal. Stood up from Grassmarket waiting. Not forget that day ever. 

3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I think the penalty was first, scored by Colin Cameron.  Adam scored the second goal, iirc.

What on earth ?

:berra:

Last nights result and the reactions of Hearts or Rangers fans to last night will have zero influence on Saturday we have always had no more than a small chance but it is still a chance

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
11 minutes ago, Boab said:

What on earth ?

:berra:

Right Bolt! 

kingantti1874
21 minutes ago, Haken said:

I don't really care about what happened last night or what impact it might or might not have.  On Saturday, it's about what we do.  If we do our best, and if the game is refereed fairly, then we have a chance.

Yeah agree. To be honest we have a 20% chance at most if we are honest.  Tried to do some mental gymnastics to figure out whether them winning or losing was better but the reality is I don’t know.

they may be massively motived to get something from the season, or they may be broken like we were in 1986.  Just don’t know.

Go work out arse off, don’t go behind early and take it deep.  The deeper we take it the higher our chances become 

Uncle Buck
42 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

This has probably been covered already on the thread but has the squad went away anywhere to prepare? 

No, Robbie said on Monday he wants things to be as normal as possible. See their family, sleep in their own beds etc.

PapaShango

I think they will make a few changes after last night. There were a few of them dead on their feet. That game is different to playing ET at Ibrox in previous rounds, the heat and humidity would be energy sapping last night as well as the occasion. Big opportunity for Hearts on Saturday, get in about them and capitalise on any fatigue they have. They obviously have better players but we can definitely win this. 

bringonthesevco
4 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

I’m just thinking back to 98. I went with a mate from Birdiehouse. Sat pished in that sun. Face was same colour as my scarf. When the first goal went in by Adam I near fell into the next row. Been on the bevy all morning and on route. The Erse cheeks ground wasn’t finished yet. Sat where the old jungle used to be. 

Then the penalty. Yasss. I’ve never sobered up so fast as I did especially when McCoust came on. What a day and was in total disbelief. When we got back and the parade. That was unreal. Stood up from Grassmarket waiting. Not forget that day ever. 

When you say “not forget that day ever”.

You seem to have done a pretty good job of forgetting what happened !!!!

3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Less than 58 hours to go by my reckoning.  Serious point here.  That's a very short time for the vast bulk of the Rangers players to recover from an intense, extra time encounter in the heat resulting in a devastating loss.

There is every prospect, as I have previously posted, that we will run them ragged in the last 20 minutes.

They do have a very big squad. 

Any news on the injured players? I know there were rumours about Halket getting crocked in the bounce game but where they just rumours? 

His name is

I'm glad their game went the distance last night but I'm not sure it'll effect them too much.

Rangers bench last night will earn more than our entire squad and none of them played more than 45 mins. 

A couple of days rest for the others and make no doubt about it, they'll be ready for us.

9 hours ago, VALDOS' said:

Hopefully der Hun don't put out the young lads again

That's a myth that they did that last weekend, their starting line was full of internationals and multi million pound players 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
3 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

The times are shocking for them. 

I presume they flew back last night. They will still be in their kip.

They can’t possibly do more than light training today - maybe some video analysis of us. Not sure they’ll even be able to confirm to the players what the team is until after they do their training.

That leaves tomorrow for them to prepare for the game.

Now if they play their standard recognised 1st choice team give or take a couple that isn’t a huge problem as they know exactly how they function - 60 odd games this season.

I can’t see wholesale changes to be honest because they now face a season without a trophy. This is why them losing last night was good - they will need the majority of their key players playing most of the game.

There will be changes maybe 4? But they have no time to work on anything much and as I said above they don’t have a huge amount of time to work on problem issues such as those left had side crosses they keep losing goals from.

This will be countered by the fact that either we won’t be at decent full strength or if we are at least 3 key players won’t be near 100% (Souttar, Halkett, Devlin) match fit with others still with niggles (Halliday, Boyce, Kingsley and we don’t know what others if any).

So I’m not sure what advantage we have but we are in a better position than we would have been had Rangers not had that game last night.

Салатные палочки
44 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

No, Robbie said on Monday he wants things to be as normal as possible. See their family, sleep in their own beds etc.

Good stuff. Sergio did the same I'm sure while Hibs fannied about in Dublin. 

The result last night did matter. Make no bones about it if Rangers had won their arrogance, triumphalism and noise on Saturday would have been nauseating. Hearts fans go into the game happier than Rangers fans. That's a wee win in my book. I'm looking forward to my day out on Saturday with my fellow Jambos. The feeling of 'you never know' is just a wee be stronger this morning. 

9 minutes ago, Texaco said:

The result last night did matter. Make no bones about it if Rangers had won their arrogance, triumphalism and noise on Saturday would have been nauseating. Hearts fans go into the game happier than Rangers fans. That's a wee win in my book. I'm looking forward to my day out on Saturday with my fellow Jambos. The feeling of 'you never know' is just a wee be stronger this morning. 

Totally.

The players and fans looked completely drained last night so hopefully that continues into Saturday.

Rangers will employ as much fresh legs as they can.  Ramsey will start with the added incentive of making up for last night.  A couple of the younger players,  certainly Lowry will start.  They have Roofe to come in as well.  Davis and Sakala didn't start last night so probably will on Saturday.  It'll still be pretty challenging to say the least.

Still reckon it's given us a 2 goal start though.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

Crossing is the easy bit, what we need is the strikers gambling near post if that's our game plan. 

Ellis can do that. In fact Natty could gamble with a run inside if the player positions support it. Maybe even Halliday arriving late if he is playing.

If I can see it I don’t believe for a second the video analysis hasn’t flagged this up and we haven’t worked on it.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

indianajones
10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Rangers will employ as much fresh legs as they can.  Ramsey will start with the added incentive of making up for last night.  A couple of the younger players,  certainly Lowry will start.  They have Roofe to come in as well.  Davis and Sakala didn't start last night so probably will on Saturday.  It'll still be pretty challenging to say the least.

Still reckon it's given us a 2 goal start though.

A two goal start? 

indianajones

Some people need to screw their heids back on.

This game is going to be extremely tough regardless of last nights outcome. 

25 minutes ago, indianajones said:

A two goal start? 

Yes.  How we use it is key.

2-1 defeat instead of 4-1?

Or 2-1 win instead of 2-1 defeat.

1 hour ago, 5-1Jambo said:

Any news on the injured players? I know there were rumours about Halket getting crocked in the bounce game but where they just rumours? 

I picked up my grandkids from school yesterday and Boycie's daughter is at the same school.

He limped in pushing his youngest in a buggy and did not look like he would be fit enough to play on Saturday.

A few days to go but it was not encouraging.

My team if everyone is fit and available would be

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Atkinson Devlin Haring Halliday

McKay 

Boyce Simms

If we set up like that and get the tactics right ie defend properly and don't allow Rangers time and space in our box, with everyone giving 100% and a lot of hard work we can do it, Bring Gino/gms/Cochrane on later in the game to give us another outlet and more pace out wide.

Mon the Hearts 

2 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

My team if everyone is fit and available would be

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Atkinson Devlin Haring Halliday

McKay 

Boyce Simms

If we set up like that and get the tactics right ie defend properly and don't allow Rangers time and space in our box, with everyone giving 100% and a lot of hard work we can do it, Bring Gino/gms/Cochrane on later in the game to give us another outlet and more pace out wide.

Mon the Hearts 

Our biggest issue is half of that team are nowhere near fully fit so we will have to bring on subs and hope they perform.

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Our biggest issue is half of that team are nowhere near fully fit so we will have to bring on subs and hope they perform.

Only ones who are not fully fit are Halkett, Boyce, Souttar and Devlin, if it were up to me I would gamble and keep Halkett on for the full 90 mins, as he is our most important defender imo, with the other ones we could probably get a good hour or so out of them and then maybe look to bring the likes of Sibbick on for Souttar and Gino/GMS/Woody on for Boyce and we could possibly move Halliday into centre mid if Devlin tires (I can see devlin playing 90 as well though) boy has an incredible engine.

upgotheheads

Gordon

Souttar      Sibbick     Kingsley

Atkinson        Devlin        Haring      Halliday

McKay 

Ginnelly                       Simms

I don't think Halkett will start because it would be too risky to have two players in the back three who havent played more than 30 minutes between hem for three months. I think Sibbick has done well at CB, and having Halkett and Moore on the bench gives some assurance if it goes to extra time, especially with Souttar unlikely to be fit enough for 120 minutes. 

Boyce will be lucky to make the bench due to injury alone, and his form has been poor recently. I have a feeling that to win this game we are going to need our unpredictable players like Ginnelly and GMS to have one of their (very) good days. Simms will need to be on top form, and it would be great to see Woodward play to his potential. A lot of things will have to fall into place on the day, but we sure as hell aren't favourites.

6 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

You certainly were on the bevvy if you think Adam scored the first goal. 🙂

When Cameron scored the penalty, the guy in the row behind me somersaulted forward and landed on top of me. Was that you? High up near the half way line on an aisle. Best view I ever had at a football match.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Controversial probably but I think if Boyce is injured it takes a difficult dilemma out of the way as his form, not just his lack of goals, has dropped off a cliff the last 2 months.

He needs a break - he isn’t performing at all well at the moment and he has shown nothing which indicates he might light a spark in a one off game on Saturday for weeks.

I would start Halliday on the left of the front 3. I think if we go strong with left sided players - Kingsley, Cochrane and Halliday we can cause Rangers problems down their right hand side.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Sub4TiddlerMurray
45 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Gordon

Souttar      Sibbick     Kingsley

Atkinson        Devlin        Haring      Halliday

McKay 

Ginnelly                       Simms

I don't think Halkett will start because it would be too risky to have two players in the back three who havent played more than 30 minutes between hem for three months. I think Sibbick has done well at CB, and having Halkett and Moore on the bench gives some assurance if it goes to extra time, especially with Souttar unlikely to be fit enough for 120 minutes. 

Boyce will be lucky to make the bench due to injury alone, and his form has been poor recently. I have a feeling that to win this game we are going to need our unpredictable players like Ginnelly and GMS to have one of their (very) good days. Simms will need to be on top form, and it would be great to see Woodward play to his potential. A lot of things will have to fall into place on the day, but we sure as hell aren't favourites.

What's Einstein's definition of madness again? Setting up with 2 in midfield with a lightweight 4 running into corners in front of them. This has been our downfall in every single old firm match this year.

And, Rangers have been pushed all the way in the Euro cup final and those who played are unlikely to last a full 90mins (never mind extra time if it happens).

The sensible thing to do is have 3 or 4 in midfield with a back 4 or 5.

It's time for the dope-a-rope where we squash the flow of the game by blocking Rangers and then reverting to an attacking mode later in the game when they will be blowing out their arses.

KyleLafferty

Gordon 

Soapy Halkett Kingsley 

Natty Cammy Halliday Haring Cochrane

Mckay

Simms 

Halliday supporting the attacks with Natty and Cochrane.

Edited by KyleLafferty

PapaShango

Has there been any update on fitness of players? If we can start with Soapy, Halkett and Kingsley it gives us a massive boost IMO. 

Parade will be Sunday evening same route as 2012, ie city chambers down Morrison Street to Haymarket up Dalry Road etc.

according to EEN

Aussie Jambo
8 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Just seeing who was awake  on here and who the real Jambos are. 

Well done to those who spotted it. Well done

chaps.

tenor.gif

Have no idea what it’s going to be due to halkett and souttar just returning. 

Whats the thoughts on the team 

4231 I think 

heisenberg86

Gordon 

Atkinson.     Souttar.   Halkett.   Kingsley 

Haring.    Devlin 

Mackay.          Boyce.          Woodburn 

Simms 

Woodburn is the only one I’m not sure about, might play Gino or even Halliday there instead, just feel Woodburn might produce something in a big game like this. Also 5 at the back with Cochrane playing could be what he goes for. Will depend on Cammys fitness if he starts, if not Halliday plays 

Unknown user
Just now, heisenberg86 said:

Gordon 

Haring.    Devlin 

Simms 

Woodburn is the only one I’m not sure about, might play Gino or even Halliday there instead, just feel Woodburn might produce something in a big game like this. Also 5 at the back with Cochrane playing could be what he goes for. Will depend on Cammys fitness if he starts, if not Halliday plays 

I think Gino's the man, they're not even back in the country yet, last thing they want is a speed merchant going at them

stuartmitchell

Gordon

Smith         Halkett        Soapy 

Atkinson     Devlin         Haring           Kingsley  

Boyce          Mackay

Sims

BackOfTheNet

GK - Gordon

RCB - Sibbick

CB - Halkett

LCB - Kingsley

RWB - Atkinson

LWB - Cochrane

CM - Haring

CM - Devlin

RW - McKay

LW - Ginnelly

ST - Simms

SUBS

Stewart

Souttar

Smith

Moore

Halliday

McEneff

Woodburn

Mackay-Steven

Boyce

Youth player 1

Youth player 2

That’s what I’d go for anyway

Edited by BackOfTheNet

2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

I picked up my grandkids from school yesterday and Boycie's daughter is at the same school.

He limped in pushing his youngest in a buggy and did not look like he would be fit enough to play on Saturday.

A few days to go but it was not encouraging.

That's not great. I know his finishing has been a bit suspect lately but his link up play and overall work rate would be badly missed. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
On 17/05/2022 at 23:09, Bazzas right boot said:

I taken it as the pressing game died along with our football. 

Not an individual. 

Ffs, why do Some go to the extremes. 

:kirklol:

heisenberg86
4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I think Gino's the man, they're not even back in the country yet, last thing they want is a speed merchant going at them

Every chance of it! Just got a feeling he’ll keep him as an impact sub for the last 20 mins 

jambo-fletch
1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

GK - Gordon

RCB - Sibbick

CB - Halkett

LCB - Kingsley

RWB - Atkinson

LWB - Cochrane

CM - Haring

CM - Devlin

RW - McKay

LW - Ginnelly

ST - Simms

SUBS

Stewart

Souttar

Smith

Moore

Halliday

McEneff

Woodburn

Mackay-Steven

Boyce

Youth player 1

Youth player 2

Souttar for Sibbick and that’s the team for me!

franco2209
5 minutes ago, heisenberg86 said:

Gordon 

Haring.    Devlin 

Simms 

Yeah I'd go with this.   I thought Woodburn and Halliday were half decent in the dead rubber at Firpark.

franco2209
3 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

GK - Gordon

RCB - Sibbick

CB - Halkett

LCB - Kingsley

RWB - Atkinson

LWB - Cochrane

CM - Haring

CM - Devlin

RW - McKay

LW - Ginnelly

ST - Simms

SUBS

Stewart

Souttar

Smith

Moore

Halliday

McEneff

Woodburn

Mackay-Steven

Boyce

Youth player 1

Youth player 2

Sibbick, long term may come good, but right now he's an accident waiting to happen....ball watches and distribution is very poor.

loveofthegame

I want 4-2-3-1, I think we'll get 3-4-2-1.

Hope:

Gordon

Atkinson Souttar  Kingsley Cochrane (I suspect Halkett won't be fit and heard a rumour he pulled up on Tuesday)

Haring Devlin (or Halliday if Devlin not ready to start)

Gino/GMS (happy with either)  Boyce   McKay

Simms

Suspect it will be:

Gordon

Sibbick  Souttar Kingsley

Atkinson     Haring    Halliday             Cochrane

Mckay Boyce

Simms