***** Official Heart of Midlothian v The Rangers Scottish Cup Final 2022 Match Thread *****

Jambos_1874

Bazzas right boot
19 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Because players do play within themselves and can’t handle pressure. Certainly the ones without bottle and nerve.  

They are human after all and some people overthink big occasions, they don’t have control of their emotions heading into a big event they’ve aimed for all their careers.  

It can frustrate us as supporters because you wonder how they made the grade in the first place but it’s all relevant to your level. 

Hopefully our experience of  recent sc finals  holds us in good standing and the rangers team with their first domestic final since 2016 arse collapses as they face another trophyless season that promised so much. 😎

Edited by Bazzas right boot

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iantjambo

• Don Dan

• Riccarton3

• Harry Potter

Jambo 4 Ever
4 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Hopefully our experience of  recent sc finals  holds us in good standing and the rangers team with their first domestic final since 2016 arse collapses as they face another trophyless season that promised so much. 😎

How many of our current players have played in recent SC finals though?

doubt it will make any difference 

ArcticJambo
1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Probably right mate.  For us it's a case of do we try to weather that storm and know we have it in the tank?  And will we have a choice but to HAVE to do so? (perhaps the more pertinent question really).

Break the game in to sgements and "get through" them.  Think about the semi, after the second goal, we just needed to "get through" the next 15 mins and it was over really.  We didn't.  A different game with different pressures, but hopefully learnt from that.

Another great post. 👍

doctor jambo

It’s all going to be about energy and tempo.

they should be knackered.

if we can run the legs off them it should work out

Howdy Doody Jambo
26 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Common sense however the referee will play his part 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
2 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip. 

100%

Boyce is also key imo as he tends to keep the ball better and win fouls and headers over likes of Gino who can give it away cheaply. 

Being brave on the ball is key and keeping hold of it when we do have it more so, no point in defending we'll but continously turning over possession, that only ends one way. 

We've been poor, at that in Glasgow. 

Boyce hasn’t held it well for months.

When I watched the game on Saturday I couldn’t work out why we weren’t making the same runs, breaking the same lines we did in the first half.

we also left the game very open - a lot of space.

None of this is normal for us at all this season.

The more I think about it I am sure it was tactical. See if we can compete until half time. Get minutes on the clock second half.

We didn’t go out to throw the game but we didn’t go out to through bodies on the line second half.

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

Tom Hardy’s Dug

Who is our bounce game against by the way??

Most teams are now on holiday…..

St Johnstone maybe or ICT?

KyleLafferty

Rangers won’t be knackered. They played 120 mins in Europe and a Thursday then 120 in the semi agaisnt Celtic and didn’t look tired one bit. We need rangers to win on Wednesday so maybe they take their eye off the ball a bit. If they lose they will be more determined than ever to win something 

Preston Jambo
2 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Rangers won’t be knackered. They played 120 mins in Europe and a Thursday then 120 in the semi agaisnt Celtic and didn’t look tired one bit. We need rangers to win on Wednesday so maybe they take their eye off the ball a bit. If they lose they will be more determined than ever to win something 

Weather in Seville forecast to be 35c on Wednesday. Here's hoping for extra time!

44 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Their game this season has been about energy and fast tempo. We need to be at it from the start or we could be out of it before half time. I don't get this assumption that they will be knackered or drained mentally. It will be their last game of the season and they will be well up for it. 

LochcarronJambo
2 hours ago, GBJambo said:

You don’t go toe toe with Rangers in a meaningless game when we were trying to get players back up to speed , that would be crazy. 

They were set up to play with a high energy to try and tire us out. Thankfully Robbie saw through that. 

Stunning how some so called Hearts fans call a Hearts game ‘meaningless’…… 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

How many of our current players have played in recent SC finals though?

doubt it will make any difference 

Gordon, Smith, Souttar, Kingsley, Halkett Boyce, Haring, Gino, Halliday, Stewart. 

Me neither, my post wasn't 100% serious, rangers were champions last season and are in a European final in 2 days. 

I doubt they'll crumble under the pressure. 

Honk-1000x1000-1.jpg

HeartsandonlyHearts
32 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Common sense however the referee will play his part 

Sad that we all know the ref will play his part. An absolute joke of a footballing nation is what we are. If there’s iffy calls and we don’t win, only us and Celtic fans will care. The rest of Scottish football will be happy because it’s the usual outcome and Hearts don’t have another cup win.

We need to be up by any combination of two goals clear before I’ll be comfortable.

HHGH

8 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You said that the problem is that not may of our players will think the can win it. 

Shite. 

The problem is better, fast and more skillfull players across their team and squad. 

Our players can think they can win it all day long, it won't solve the "problem" as you see it. 

You don't half slaver some shite on here.

Confidence has a massive part to play in any sport.

Personally and its only my view if we can get a fit Souttar Halkett and Kingsley back , play 3 in midfield  and McKay and Simms up top with reasonable luck and Rangers slightly off we have a very good chance of upsetting Rangers on Saturday. 

Confidence has been dented the last few games but its up to the players and management to wipe the   slate and get stuck into these horrible *******s. 

HeartsandonlyHearts
23 minutes ago, LochcarronJambo said:

You don’t think Saturdays game was “meaningless”?

We could have won 10-0 and it wouldn’t have mattered a jot. Pre season games against Scarborough have been more meaningful.

31 minutes ago, LochcarronJambo said:

Stunning how some so called Hearts fans can’t see the bigger pIcture 🤦🏻

Gordon

Smith  Soapy  Halks  Kingsley

Cammy BigPete Halliday

Natty          Ellis           McKay

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, ramrod said:

You don't half slaver some shite on here.

Confidence has a massive part to play in any sport.

Personally and its only my view if we can get a fit Souttar Halkett and Kingsley back , play 3 in midfield  and McKay and Simms up top with reasonable luck and Rangers slightly off we have a very good chance of upsetting Rangers on Saturday. 

Confidence has been dented the last few games but its up to the players and management to wipe the   slate and get stuck into these horrible *******s. 

You slavered on about our problem being that some our players might not think they can win the game. 

That's not the problem. 

PapaShango
12 minutes ago, Arfur said:

Gordon

Cammy BigPete Halliday

Will not be the line up! 

Watt-Zeefuik

Three midfielders makes some sense except that I have never once seen Robbie run out a team with three midfielders. No matter what else he does, he rolls out a midfield pair. We're not going with a 4-3-3 on Saturday.

The closest thing he does is have a #10 in the 4-2-3-1 who sits in a little bit on defence. Boyce has been good in that role with Simms in front of him but I don't know if he's fit. If he can't go, I can see us using Woodburn in that role, as he's seemed to be warming to more of a midfield role recently and doing fairly well with it.

The biggest problem I see with the 4-2-3-1 is that it means Smith or Atkinson have to play FB. Smith got absolutely cooked by Rangers the last time out and did his back in, and Atkinson is still mistake prone. I'd be far more comfortable in the 3-4-3, which lets Atkinson get forward on the wing, but that doesn't give McKay as much room to operate.

My favorite Robbie innovations have generally been when he goes with an asymmetrical shape that's a little hard for the opposition to suss out. Something like this:

Big G

Souttar  Halkett Kingsley

Haring        Halliday

Atkinson    Devlin

McKay

Gino

Simms

Halliday is technically in at WB but he's given instructions to be sure to rotate behind Kingsley if he gets forward and pinch inside to help cover the midfield and provide out balls. It also gives McKay a lot of room on his own on that side to do what he does, and pick out balls for Atkinson, Gino, and Simms on the far side. Devlin's position is of course "all over the field" but his main job is breaking up play between their midfielders and defenders.

The biggest worry is you still want Souttar to be able to carry the ball forward, and that means Atkinson has to get his positioning and decision making right on that side.

Usually with Cup finals the squad go away together to build team spirit and work on preparations for the big game. 

I notice Robbie is involved in a function in the Gorgie Suite tonight so they are still here. 

Perhaps they are waiting on some our players returning from Seville 😏

1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

You slavered on about our problem being that some our players might not think they can win the game. 

That's not the problem. 

Ffs man , you're dumb and **** , of course it could be ONE of the problems, their confidence has taken a hit and its not unreasonable to think ir might impact on their performance . Bolt and annoy someone else with your pedantic pish 

1 hour ago, Arfur said:

Gordon

Cammy BigPete Halliday

That's the team I'd like to see start  

Hungry hippo

I'd go for:

Gordon 

Souttar Halks Kingsley 

Atkinson Haring Devlin Halliday

McKay Simms Boyce

Solid experience that shouldn't by overawed.

I'd definitely be keeping players like Gino to make an impact off the bench as he can be a waste of a jersey from the start but effective coming on.

Edited by Hungry hippo

Dick Dastardly
9 hours ago, Bindy Badgy said:

If it does I hope all of our players pick a corner and smash it. None of this stuttered run up, sending the keeper the wrong way nonsense. A well hit penalty into the corner is practically impossible to stop. There is no need to complicate things.

Just need to score them as Gordon will save at least 2

Bit of a dilemma here with team for final, do we risk the few that have been out for a while. 

4231 for me 

gordon 

smith soapy halkett Kingsley 

haring devlin 

mackay Boyce Gino 

simms 

i wish jj was my dad

Halliday or Cochrane wide left and that is the team I would pick. 

Ginormous to stretch it late know when we are protecting our lead. 

12 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

Halliday or Cochrane wide left and that is the team I would pick. 

Ginormous to stretch it late know when we are protecting our lead. 

Yeah good shout maybe better idea 

Uncle Buck

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Atkinson Haring Halliday Cochrane

McKay Boyce

Simms

I actually think it’s fairly straightforward if all are fit. Only one I’d consider would be Devlin for Halliday.

Rocky jamboa

I'd go

Gordon

Halkett   souttar   Kingsley

Atkinson                             cochrane

Cammy   Haring

Mckay                        Woodburn

Simms 

59 minutes ago, NB GIN said:

Bit of a dilemma here with team for final, do we risk the few that have been out for a while. 

4231 for me 

gordon 

smith soapy halkett Kingsley 

haring devlin 

mackay Boyce Gino 

simms 

I would definitely play Gino aswell been best player we've had for quote a few games recently. Big Hampden pitch aswell his pace to get in behind will be needed

3 hours ago, luckydug said:

Usually with Cup finals the squad go away together to build team spirit and work on preparations for the big game. 

I notice Robbie is involved in a function in the Gorgie Suite tonight so they are still here. 

Perhaps they are waiting on some our players returning from Seville 😏

Not on the Monday though.  Well publicised that we have a bounce game tomorrow to give some players more game time.  I’d expect us to be heading away, if we are, on Wednesday at the earliest. 

2 hours ago, ramrod said:

Ffs man , you're dumb and **** , of course it could be ONE of the problems, their confidence has taken a hit and its not unreasonable to think ir might impact on their performance . Bolt and annoy someone else with your pedantic pish 

Based on a bunch of things I have seen and heard I think our squad fully believe they can win on Saturday.  Not saying they will because clearly Rangers are the better team but still think there’s a good chance we will win. 

54 minutes ago, KyleLafferty said:

Not in a month if sundays should Smith be near the starting 11

Neither should Devlin unfortunately. 

50 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Gordon

Souttar Halkett Kingsley

Atkinson Haring Halliday Cochrane

McKay Boyce

Simms

I actually think it’s fairly straightforward if all are fit. Only one I’d consider would be Devlin for Halliday.

Got to hope Kent picks up a knock on Wednesday because I doubt Atkinson will be able to handle him. 

8 minutes ago, daavojaay said:

I would definitely play Gino aswell been best player we've had for quote a few games recently. Big Hampden pitch aswell his pace to get in behind will be needed

Unfortunately when gets in behind he suddenly thinks he is playing rugby. High and wide shots at goal or crosses. Not sure what they are most times. 

6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Unfortunately when gets in behind he suddenly thinks he is playing rugby. High and wide shots at goal or crosses. Not sure what they are most times. 

He’s had quite a few on target too over a series of matches, and scored goals. 

We’re often told on here not to expect finished articles in a maroon jersey and players will have flaws. But Gino’s good side has shone through more than others.  Be a complete waste not to start him.

If RN does a McPhee and think he’s keeping one of his better attacking options to come on later to do damage but it turns out the the game is beyond reach by then,  not many will be too happy.  Don’t be a genius, get the on form players out there and the ones who’ve looked the brightest recently. 

Edited by Debut 4

Bob Loblaw

Playing a bounce match tomorrow according to the Evening News. Chance to get some extra minutes into Souttar, Halkett and Devlin.

Bongo 1874
On 15/05/2022 at 21:46, jambopilms said:

Problem with them examples is Rangers were a shambles in at least 2 of them games where they were getting beat off the likes of Hamilton. This is not the same Rangers. The game we humped Celtic, Levein was quite open about filling the squad with those who can do the extra miles needed to close them down. We don't have the miles in our legs with the players we have and a number of them unfit and recovering from injuries.

Plus all them examples are at home on a smaller pitch.

But yeah all we need to do is press and we win.

Absolute nonsense, Still many in the team playing for Rangers that played in that match, 

You could argue rangers should really have 3 titles they have blew 2.

Are you now saying we can't press /play on a longer pitch 😂

I'm not saying whatsoever that if we press them we will automatically win, what I'm suggesting is any time we have success is when we press them, we match them all over the pitch we follow runners, and we attack them. 

That's what those vids show 👍

Certainly won't get anywhere by waving the white flag and say cmon Rangers, bring it to us while we soak up all the pressure. 

There's a way to lose a football match and it's not with retreating 👍

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Playing a bounce match tomorrow according to the Evening News. Chance to get some extra minutes into Souttar, Halkett and Devlin.

Who against do you know?

Hungry hippo
2 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

He’s had quite a few on target too over a series of matches, and scored goals. 

We’re often told on here not to expect finished articles in a maroon jersey and players will have flaws. But Gino’s good side has shone through more than others.  Be a complete waste not to start him.

If RN does a McPhee and think he’s keeping one of his better attacking options to come on later to do damage but it turns out the the game is beyond reach by then,  not many will be too happy.  Don’t be a genius, get the on form players out there and the ones who’ve looked the brightest recently. 

I see it the opposite way. Gino's record when starting meaningful games is pretty poor despite a couple of good performances in the recent games.

I'd worry we are far more likely to be out of the game if we start with a passenger.

Gino would be a massive gamble IMO as he struggles to find space or retain the ball at the start of games but benefits later in games when he had more freedom to make a difference.

Watt-Zeefuik
5 hours ago, Hungry hippo said:

I'd go for:

Gordon 

Souttar Halks Kingsley 

Atkinson Haring Devlin Halliday

McKay Simms Boyce

Solid experience that shouldn't by overawed.

I'd definitely be keeping players like Gino to make an impact off the bench as he can be a waste of a jersey from the start but effective coming on.

I like that lineup but I doubt Boyce will be fit to start. Groin pulls have a nasty habit of taking a long time to heal fully.

If no Boyce and we don't want to go with Gino from the off, I can't believe I'm saying this but on recent form I'd put on Woodburn in the #10 role.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

I like that lineup but I doubt Boyce will be fit to start. Groin pulls have a nasty habit of taking a long time to heal fully.

If no Boyce and we don't want to go with Gino from the off, I can't believe I'm saying this but on recent form I'd put on Woodburn in the #10 role.

He says it's not as bad as feared and he'll play on one leg if he has to, fingers crossed 

Watt-Zeefuik
20 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He says it's not as bad as feared and he'll play on one leg if he has to, fingers crossed 

Yes, I expect him to be involved, but it doesn't seem wise to throw him in from the start, I guess.

Oops!!! I Forgot about my 'lucky' Savile Rougue Cashmere Hearts Scarf as worn to the 2012 Semi-Final v Celtic ... and the Final v H1b5

I do not believe in fate, but ...

Screenshot_20220517-030656_Gallery.jpg

Och ... decided to add a 'Save the Children' and a cool 3rd top ... 

I'll leave it at that. 😄

Screenshot_20220517-032419_Gallery.jpg