***** Official Heart of Midlothian v The Rangers Scottish Cup Final 2022 Match Thread *****

Jambos_1874

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iantjambo

• Don Dan

• Riccarton3

• Harry Potter

Bindy Badgy
18 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

It's going to penalties.

If it does I hope all of our players pick a corner and smash it. None of this stuttered run up, sending the keeper the wrong way nonsense. A well hit penalty into the corner is practically impossible to stop. There is no need to complicate things.

Just now, Bindy Badgy said:

If it does I hope all of our players pick a corner and smash it. None of this stuttered run up, sending the keeper the wrong way nonsense. A well hit penalty into the corner is practically impossible to stop. There is no need to complicate things.

If only it were so simple!!!!

8 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Sending the keeper the wrong way worked okay in the 1998 final : - )

11 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

Put them high to the left or right with pace Keeper can’t save those from a standing start in the middle of the goal

Edited by JimmyCant

2-1 Hearts. The famous trophy will be resting in Tynecastle for a 9th time come Saturday night and we'll be partying on the streets of Gorgie. 

It's been a fantastic season for us all, and one of my most enjoyable following the club. Hopefully the players go into this match knowing exactly what this means to us. There's no greater feeling than watching Heart of Midlothian lift the Scottish Cup.

Make us proud boys, and let our dreams come true.

tiger Rudi

Win or lose lets have a celebration. Hope its the former obviously, but Rangers are favourites, if we play to our best I think we can win. 

A defeat doesn't detract from a fantastic season. Newly promoted and straight into 3rd place and Europe. Can't be anything but pleased with that. 

My own thoughts on the line-up. Sacrifice Boyce for an extra man in midfield, keeping it tight till half time with McKay & Simms up front. 3.5.2 Then hopefully get a real grip of the game in second half, having a real go, bringing on Boyce & Ginnelly if needed when Rangers will surely be a tired team. 

If Souttar and Halkett start, who knows, we might just be celebrating a famous win!! 

Edited by tiger Rudi

1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Havent watched it lately but my recollection is we made 3 decent chances all day and scored with 2 of them. That’s the sort of thing we’ll need to do on Saturday. I think we’ll need to score twice and that’s if we can keep the score down at the other end.

We can learn a few things from the 98 win. We were massive underdogs but we had characters in that team who would have walked through walls to win that day. Salvatori, Fulton Adam Cameron McCann and others. We’ll need that spirit in spades because it was a leveller of sorts. We were composed. No panicky clearances, no rash challenges. We tried to play the game in midfield rather than 20 yards from our goal. We kept the ball well at times with simple passes. We never let them settle to a rhythm. Most important for an underdog we had luck. We got 2 massive decisions in our favour.

Agree with that.  

I'm starting to get that big day out tingle.   Life as a fan is about days like Saturday.  MON.  

Nelly Terraces

I'm giving us little chance, BUT at least we have a chance. As others have said this season has been pretty decent, would've taken 3rd & a final before it started, plus we have almost single handedly destroyed those horrific ****s down at Fester Rd which is utterly magnificent.

This season has been a huge stepping stone for us as a club & enabling us to build so that in future we have more chances of finals & of actually winning them. That said though, I'm gagging on us winning, do I think we will, not likely, but will be giving it everything to support the boys in maroon & hope they give their everything back to us.

HHGH - Always. 

3 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Is it possible to pre-book an ambulance for such circumstances?

Toilets. Best place to spend the last minutes of a close cup final as many of us did in 98

The Old Tolbooth

There's a bit of a heatwave coming in for Seville, so it's going to be energy sapping to say the least, let's hope for extra time and penalties after a gruelling game, and hopefully some injuries too! (Oh, and a cruel defeat for Der Hun!)

We won't be as lethargic as we were on Saturday, but the way we played on Saturday is exactly the way I wanted us to play, I wanted nothing risked, and yet Boyce still went off injured, let's hope he makes it for the weekend! 

We can do this Hearts, believe!!! The odds were far more stacked against us in 1998 against a far far better Rangers side than they have today.

13 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Is it possible to pre-book an ambulance for such circumstances?

I plan to take knitting with me incase my bumhole needs occupied

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Did the same. Remember tentatively walking back into the stand just as the 90' ticked over and seeing Gary Naysmith booting something - could have been the ball, could have been a Rangers player - into row Z and feeling strangely confident from then on in.

It was a weird feeling. I left the stand just after McCoist scored because I ‘knew’ they were going to score again and I couldn’t stand watching the inevitable. Must have missed about 10 minutes and then that last few minutes of singing started up and we started moving the ball about a bit better. Not ashamed to say I was greeting like a bairn at the end.

The Old Tolbooth
14 minutes ago, Barack said:

29⁰C at KO in Seville. Goes the full distance, it's still forecast to be north of 25⁰C. 

Let's hope it's even hotter! 

You'll have huns at the SC Final looking like this :D 

Sunscreen Quotes

Shooter McGavin

If we win, we win.

If we lose, we lose.

These are the days that define your times as a Hearts supporter.

S****bags need not apply.

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

If we win, we win.

If we lose, we lose.

These are the days that define your times as a Hearts supporter.

S****bags need not apply.

100%. We will lose 5 of these for every one we win.  But that one. 😱

jock _turd

My concern is the mind set of the players... do the have the confidence to win this game? I doubt it they struggle to have the confidence to beat what have been classed as poor teams ... like it or not that lot are not a poor team.

Sub4TiddlerMurray

One thing is for sure, we will not beat Rangers with a 2 man midfield.

We have lost every old firm match with our usual set up because we gift them the midfield.

Nelly Terraces
1 minute ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

We have lost every old firm match with our usual set up because we gift them the midfield.

That is spot on. Would be utter madness to set up with that formation. 

It's a Heart says, Head says game for me but if players and fans bring our A game then there's every chance. 

4 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Don't disagree.  Could go more of a 352 with Simms and Gino up top.  Mid of maybe Dev, Haring, Halliday/Sibbick.

Only issue is we're dropping McKay out of the team and I don't see us doing that.  I do like the idea of two physical runners up top against them though.

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I guess we could change to a formation we haven’t played for years but it seems unlikely.

Pasquale for King

Happy Anniversary everyone, here’s hoping we have another date to celebrate in the future 👍🏽🤞

See if we do win this against a team as good as Rangers are this season then I think it will really help with the sense of belief in the players going in to next season both domestically and abroad

CloustonHMFC

My heart says we’re going to lift the cup, my head says we’re in for a tough afternoon and on the end of a 3-0 loss. 

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Toilets. Best place to spend the last minutes of a close cup final as many of us did in 98

Hah that’s a bit weird 

Chillidigits

The picture of Robbo holding the cup aloft, I see Beni doing the exact same thing. In fact the two pictures will be indistinguishable !

PapaShango
2 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Don't disagree.  Could go more of a 352 with Simms and Gino up top.  Mid of maybe Dev, Haring, Halliday/Sibbick.

Only issue is we're dropping McKay out of the team and I don't see us doing that.  I do like the idea of two physical runners up top against them though.

We aren’t dropping McKay for Gino!! Jesus Christ I sometimes wonder with Hearts fans thank god we don’t pick the side!

13 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

We aren’t dropping McKay for Gino!! Jesus Christ I sometimes wonder with Hearts fans thank god we don’t pick the side!

Ooh, I'm not saying we do!  haha.  Boyce just limped out.  We're replacing him with Gino and giving ourselves some real pace up top plus a good deal of aggressive closing down of their defence.

We'd be dropping McKay for an extra midfielder and more stability.  I'm not saying we should, I'm saying it'll be a consideration.

I'd prefer to have Barrie on the park, personally.  Working him a yard or two will be the rub - he needs to be involved.  (although in saying that, you think back the semi and he barely touched the ball, didn't have his best game, but then his weight of pass for our opener - not sure anyone else plays that perfect pass, so even when not involved much, that moment... you know).

LochcarronJambo
On 15/05/2022 at 12:36, GBJambo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Your missing the point! 

Had we gone toe to toe with them and put in 100% .

Chances are we would have won the game or at worse draw. But we could have picked up injuries and it would have meant it would have been risky to put Halkett and Souttar into that game at that intensity 

Missing the point, certainly not…. There is no question the cup final is paramount, but I dont expect a Hearts team to play so lamely against a bunch of kids Rangers put out….. I along with numerous Hearts fans I was with, in attendance last Saturday, don’t  expect a complete lack of desire from the team-I make big sacrifices to turn up in addition to substantial travel costs, I expect some effort….. I will accept ,as no doubt we all would, that the cup final is significantly more important but I dont expect a Hearts team to turn up at any match with a lack of will, particularly against either of the odious OF

I think Rangers will come at us at full throttle in the opening 30 minutes.

They'll know that a high intensity 90 minute match will be a struggle to maintain after the Europa final.

They'll look to kill the game as early as possible so they can defend a lead and conserve energy.

Riccarton3
2 hours ago, jonesy said:

All the best men and women did that day.

1143.jpg?width=300&quality=85&auto=forma

I think I looked at my feet for the last 10. 

That moment just before Robbo goes up to lift the Cup is just magical as the whole support sees who's next.

1 minute ago, Bauld said:

I think Rangers will come at us at full throttle in the opening 30 minutes.

They'll know that a high intensity 90 minute match will be a struggle to maintain after the Europa final.

They'll look to kill the game as early as possible so they can defend a lead and conserve energy.

Probably right mate.  For us it's a case of do we try to weather that storm and know we have it in the tank?  And will we have a choice but to HAVE to do so? (perhaps the more pertinent question really).

Break the game in to sgements and "get through" them.  Think about the semi, after the second goal, we just needed to "get through" the next 15 mins and it was over really.  We didn't.  A different game with different pressures, but hopefully learnt from that.

davemclaren

This time last year we were concerned about Hibs likely winning the Scottish Cup against St Johnstone. How things have changed. 😎

33 minutes ago, LochcarronJambo said:

Missing the point, certainly not…. There is no question the cup final is paramount, but I dont expect a Hearts team to play so lamely against a bunch of kids Rangers put out….. I along with numerous Hearts fans I was with, in attendance last Saturday, don’t  expect a complete lack of desire from the team-I make big sacrifices to turn up in addition to substantial travel costs, I expect some effort….. I will accept ,as no doubt we all would, that the cup final is significantly more important but I dont expect a Hearts team to turn up at any match with a lack of will, particularly against either of the odious OF

You don’t go toe toe with Rangers in a meaningless game when we were trying to get players back up to speed , that would be crazy. 

They were set up to play with a high energy to try and tire us out. Thankfully Robbie saw through that. 

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, TheBigO said:

All this talk about all out attack and pressing versus park the bus.  It's all nonsense frankly.

What we need is discipline and bravery.  By that I mean discipline not to leave gaps, not to let someone slip away from you and not to go diving in and letting someone easily beyond you.  However, bravery to get close, get in faces and let them know we're blooming well there and not going to let them have it their way.

Also discipline and bravery on the ball.  Let's not give it away as soon as we get it, but also let's not be daft and try to pass it about if they're pressing high and hard.  Cool heads.  Options. 

For me, something we don't do well enough is utilise Simms as an outball.  He NEEDS to work channels hard and constantly on Saturday.  Every time our defenders have the ball, he needs to be curving round their CBs.  As soon as we pick up a second ball in midfield, guess what, Simms needs to curve round their CBs.

Our guys knowing they have a ball to play without even needing to look is vital in this game.  That isn't backwards, longball football.  It's about territory and it's about them needing to always think about us and stay on THEIR toes.  I'd almost be tempted to play Gino instead of Boyce for this reason, although Boyce gives us more dig and good work off the ball, so it's not a straight choice.

If anyone thinks we're going to turn up and attack them, meaning we have high %age possession high up the pitch and pin them back for long periods, they're mad.  We need to battle for territory and do our best to retain it, of course.  But stating that we need to be the ones of the front foot simply and completely ignores the fact we're playing against a team full of multi-million pound players who are in a Euro final.  There are two teams in every game!  You don't decide "OK in this game, we'll be the ones who do the attacking!!".

Most of all, we need the boys to go out and not shrink.  They need to puff their chests out and say bring it on.  Doesn't matter what our formation, tactics, instructions etc are if they are meek.

Yip. 

100%

Boyce is also key imo as he tends to keep the ball better and win fouls and headers over likes of Gino who can give it away cheaply. 

Being brave on the ball is key and keeping hold of it when we do have it more so, no point in defending we'll but continously turning over possession, that only ends one way. 

We've been poor, at that in Glasgow. 

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

You’re right, we didn’t dominate the ball and play an attacking game like we had for most of that season. We hassled and harried, put the hard yards in.  It was more about making sure we were competitive , filling gaps, running hard.  We had the quality when we needed it though.  

Just watch it back and look at the workrate of the team. 

What concerns me a little is RN said earlier in the season after couple of stodgy performances that he won’t change the way we play.  I wasn’t sure how to decipher that properly at the time , but JJ tweaked Hearts in the 98 Final to what he saw as appropriate and to give us our best chance of winning.  

We don’t necessarily have to change our style but he has to tweak the mindset for Saturday because sometimes the players can look a little cautious trying to stick to the system. 

We need a bit more than that on Sat. 

We scored first and that was key that day. 

It Let us play our way and we done it well. 

In general it's Always has been in big games v the OF. 

Score first and we have a chance, concede first and early well 9/10 it just ends up a big mess. 

5 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip. 

100%

Boyce is also key imo as he tends to keep the ball better and win fouls and headers over likes of Gino who can give it away cheaply. 

Being brave on the ball is key and keeping hold of it when we do have it more so, no point in defending we'll but continously turning over possession, that only ends one way. 

We have been, yeah.  What some people don't seem to understand is that that isn't the plan though!!!  Our manager doesn't tell our players to hold the shape, sit in, and if you win it, make sure you give it back!!!!  Our guys need to believe we can go toe to toe.

Howdy Doody Jambo
1 minute ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip. 

100%

Brave on the ball? What's the point of even wanting to play football without wanting the ball? The most churned out clique in only Scottish fitbaw rips ma knitting peddled out by coaches time and time again 

In and out of possession, movement on and without the ball and scoring goals is King to winning games of football 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, The Maroon Pound said:

Brave on the ball? What's the point of even wanting to play football without wanting the ball? The most churned out clique in only Scottish fitbaw rips ma knitting peddled out by coaches time and time again 

In and out of possession, movement on and without the ball and scoring goals is King to winning games of football 

Maybe, but all too often, particularly in Glasgow we panic and give the ball away cheaply. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

We have been, yeah.  What some people don't seem to understand is that that isn't the plan though!!!  Our manager doesn't tell our players to hold the shape, sit in, and if you win it, make sure you give it back!!!!  Our guys need to believe we can go toe to toe.

Yip. 

An out ball as you say is crucial as well, hopefully the players look like they've met this week and there is some understanding of movement, pressing and running off the ball. 

If not it will just keep coming back at us until we crack. 

17 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Yip. 

An out ball as you say is crucial as well, hopefully the players look like they've met this week and there is some understanding of movement, pressing and running off the ball. 

If not it will just keep coming back at us until we crack. 

See at the semi final, by about 35 mins I started doing my nut in cos there was no out ball.  I really like Ellis, he's been superb and he's learning on the job.  WAAAAY more upside to the boy than downside, but I just felt he stopped offerin us the channels.  You become very easy to press if the team you're playing know your only other option is to boot it.

I may be wrong and there may be reason not to, but I just think having a guy with that power constantly wanting to run you and ask for the ball in channels is something defenders will hate.  I don't see a downside other than him tiring sooner.  It's a must for me.  It also has the benefit of opening we spaces for McKay and/or Boyce.

21 minutes ago, The Maroon Pound said:

Because players do play within themselves and can’t handle pressure. Certainly the ones without bottle and nerve.  

They are human after all and some people overthink big occasions, they don’t have control of their emotions heading into a big event they’ve aimed for all their careers.  

It can frustrate us as supporters because you wonder how they made the grade in the first place but it’s all relevant to your level. 

1 minute ago, TheBigO said:

See at the semi final, by about 35 mins I started doing my nut in cos there was no out ball.  I really like Ellis, he's been superb and he's learning on the job.  WAAAAY more upside to the boy than downside, but I just felt he stopped offerin us the channels.  You become very easy to press if the team you're playing know your only other option is to boot it.

I may be wrong and there may be reason not to, but I just think having a guy with that power constantly wanting to run you and ask for the ball in channels is something defenders will hate.  I don't see a downside other than him tiring sooner.  It's a must for me.  It also has the benefit of opening we spaces for McKay and/or Boyce.

You could say the same about Mackay though. In those fraught moments you look to your ball players to take it a run, get the arms up and ask for the ball.  

I didn’t see that for much of the second half v Hibs , but we need to on Saturday. 

Just now, Debut 4 said:

You could say the same about Mackay though. In those fraught moments you look to your ball players to take it a run, get the arms up and ask for the ball.  

I didn’t see that for much of the second half v Hibs , but we need to on Saturday. 

Absolutely.  In defence to both of them second half against Hibs, both got fouled, with no award, time and again.  Every time they did give the outball, hibs simply fouled it back off them!!

What I didn't know about Simms was whether he was meant to be making those runs but stopped (got caught up in game, it happens) or if he was meant to be where he was, somewhat static for more of a direct ball?  Same with McKay.  We just coulnt' find him a wee space and didn't look like there was a plan B to get him more involved.  Not always the coach's fault, and the players need to know when they have someone on toast and can keep just hitting them with that run, or keep just moving on to their blindside.  We need loads of those little bits of intelligence on Saturday, mixed in with all the cool heads and guts!

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Absolutely.  In defence to both of them second half against Hibs, both got fouled, with no award, time and again.  Every time they did give the outball, hibs simply fouled it back off them!!

What I didn't know about Simms was whether he was meant to be making those runs but stopped (got caught up in game, it happens) or if he was meant to be where he was, somewhat static for more of a direct ball?  Same with McKay.  We just coulnt' find him a wee space and didn't look like there was a plan B to get him more involved.  Not always the coach's fault, and the players need to know when they have someone on toast and can keep just hitting them with that run, or keep just moving on to their blindside.  We need loads of those little bits of intelligence on Saturday, mixed in with all the cool heads and guts!

I think he wasn't 100% and playing within himself a bit. 

Simms or Gino up top are good options for running the channels this game. 

Simms can hold it up and bring Boyce, McKay etc into play and get us forward. 

We also know Tavenier will leave gaps behind him, if we can get him going back the way as opposed to getting swamped and defending lol the time we can get sone joy.

The rangers high line and push the full backs ups plays perfectly into a counter attacking team, but you need to defend well and use the Ball well or we'll eventually cave. 

Hibs exposed it with Boyle in the lc. 

Even then a player who is perfectly suited to that tactic and a bit luck played its part- and they still had to defend a lot and rangers missed their chances when they did arrive. 

Edited by Bazzas right boot