***** Official Heart of Midlothian v The Rangers Scottish Cup Final 2022 Match Thread *****

Jambos_1874

Gordon

Souttar

Halkett

Kingsley

Atkinson

Devlin 

Haring

Halliday

Cochrane

McKay

Simms

Don’t lose the midfield battle early on

Devlin and Halliday both have ability to break from midfield so don’t think it’s defensive.

Pace at wing backs with enough cover in defence and midfield.

Threat at set pieces

And when Rangers surely tire get likes of Ginelly and Boyce on, and even Smith. 

Edited by karipidis

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iantjambo

• Don Dan

• Riccarton3

• Harry Potter

CloustonHMFC

I’d be tempted to play a 3 man midfield with Devlin, Haring and Halliday playing.

GK - Gordon

RB - Atkinson

CB - Souttar

CB - Kingsley

LB - Cochrane

CM - Haring

CM - Devlin

CM - Halliday

FW - Gino

ST - Simms

FW - McKay

...andFulton'sBaggio

Gordon

Akka   Halkett Kingsley Cochrane

McKay Devlin Haring Halliday Gino

Simms

when we defend

Gordon 

Akka  Halkett Kingsley Cochrane

Devlin Haring 

McKay       Halliday     Gino

Simms 

when we attack

Don't think Boyce will make it (maybe bench), pretty sure Souttar and Smith aren't ready. I know Smith played last week but I don't think it was enough. Halkett and Devlin are worth the risk. Gino's main job is to push Tavernier back. McKay has the intelligence to play precise through balls from out wide. Devlin hopefully has the legs to cover Akka at right back. Simms in the Stephane Adam role

We could inflict a trophy-less season on them on the last day of the season. A repeat of 1998 is on the cards 🤞🤞🤞

A few picking Sibbick at RCB where he has been very poor. His best spot is in the centre but if Halkett is fit, that puts him out of the team.

between Smith and Souttar for RCB.

I like the team by @karipidis above.

Edited by merrymac

John Rambo

Just read JJ comments again regarding the build up to the 98 final.

That season we only took a point from Rangers and shipped 13 goals.

This season, only a point from Rangers and shipped 11 goals.

JJ tweaked in 98 and the rest is history.

As noted above, cannot afford to be 'light' in midfield again on Saturday. We need a wee tweak.

If we change, I have a strong feeling for a 2-1 victory again.

...andFulton'sBaggio

Just put this on the other thread. Don't think 3 at the back is a good idea at Hampden against that lot. I'd go:

Gordon

Simms

when we defend;

Gordon 

Devlin Haring 

Simms 

when we attack

Don't think Boyce will make it (maybe bench), pretty sure Souttar and Smith aren't ready. I know Smith played last week but I don't think it was enough. Halkett and Devlin are worth the risk. Gino's main job is to push Tavernier back. McKay has the intelligence to play precise through balls from out wide. Devlin hopefully has the legs to cover Akka at right back. Simms in the Stephane Adam role

We could inflict a trophy-less season on them on the last day of the season. A repeat of 1998 is on the cards 🤞🤞🤞

BackOfTheNet
46 minutes ago, franco2209 said:

Sibbick, long term may come good, but right now he's an accident waiting to happen....ball watches and distribution is very poor.

I trust him more than I would Souttar who’s just coming back from injury right now. Smith I’m not even comfortable having on the bench considering how rusty he looked. I’d probably have Moore in before Souttar too for the same reasons.

3 hours ago, Victorian said:

Yes.  How we use it is key.

2-1 defeat instead of 4-1?

Or 2-1 win instead of 2-1 defeat.

😂😂😂😂

Absolute Scenes
16 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I trust him more than I would Souttar who’s just coming back from injury right now. Smith I’m not even comfortable having on the bench considering how rusty he looked. I’d probably have Moore in before Souttar too for the same reasons.

Sibbick is a bombscare (that i have made very much clear in my own opinion of him several times). If we really want to be as strong as we can against Rangers, he cant start. 

Back to 2005
48 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm guessing predictive text for injured

I like the fact that the post has been edited and still makes no sense ! 

Does this scan?:

Aaron Ramsey

Aaron Ramsey

Could have won the cup

But he effed it up

Aaron Ramsey

PapaShango
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

GK - Gordon

RCB - Sibbick

CB - Halkett

LCB - Kingsley

RWB - Atkinson

LWB - Cochrane

CM - Haring

CM - Devlin

RW - McKay

LW - Ginnelly

ST - Simms

SUBS

Stewart

Souttar

Smith

Moore

Halliday

McEneff

Woodburn

Mackay-Steven

Boyce

Youth player 1

Youth player 2

That’s what I’d go for anyway

Please don't let us have to play Sibbick! Souttar will play IMO. The reason he came on last week was to get some minutes into him for this weekend. He didn't look the least bit rusty so if he hasn't broken down in training he will be playing. A half fit Souttar trumps Sibbick at the moment. 

16 minutes ago, Ski Nae said:

Does this scan?:

Aaron Ramsey

Aaron Ramsey

Could have won the cup

But he effed it up

Aaron Ramsey

Almost certain he will score the bloody winner after last night

Jambo 4 Ever
2 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Parade will be Sunday evening same route as 2012, ie city chambers down Morrison Street to Haymarket up Dalry Road etc.

according to EEN

Does it end At tynecastle?

adambraejambo
3 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Does it end At tynecastle?

No they going past Tynecastle up Robertson Avenue and along Fountainbridge to Nandos. 

BackOfTheNet
23 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Please don't let us have to play Sibbick! Souttar will play IMO. The reason he came on last week was to get some minutes into him for this weekend. He didn't look the least bit rusty so if he hasn't broken down in training he will be playing. A half fit Souttar trumps Sibbick at the moment. 

Souttar didn’t have to do much after he came on, the game quietened down and his only real involvement was conceding the 3rd. Rest was just passes back and forth. One good long pass, one bad long pass. Wasn’t properly tested. I don’t want him being spun by Sakala or some other speed merchant and being left in the dust as he’s only just got back to running and training again.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

2 hours ago, jbee647 said:

Parade will be Sunday evening same route as 2012, ie city chambers down Morrison Street to Haymarket up Dalry Road etc.

according to EEN

Think the EEN are mixing up Saturday evening and Sunday. The article isn't clear but if we win I imagine road closures around Gorgie on Saturday evening for the bus returning, then Sunday afternoon.

PapaShango
11 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Souttar didn’t have to do much after he came on, the game quietened down and his only real involvement was conceding the 3rd. Rest was just passes back and forth. One good long pass, one bad long pass. Wasn’t properly tested. I don’t want him being spun by Sakala or some other speed merchant and being left in the dust as he’s only just got back to running and training again.

You mean like Sibbick was at Ibrox? He was dreadful that day along with Moore and if he plays then we are in bother. If he's fit then Souttar has to start. 

2 hours ago, karipidis said:

Gordon

Souttar

Halkett

Kingsley

Atkinson

Devlin 

Haring

Halliday

Cochrane

McKay

Simms

Don’t lose the midfield battle early on

Devlin and Halliday both have ability to break from midfield so don’t think it’s defensive.

Pace at wing backs with enough cover in defence and midfield.

Threat at set pieces

And when Rangers surely tire get likes of Ginelly and Boyce on, and even Smith. 

That’s the team I’d like. Assuming everyone is fit for at least an hour. 

The Treasurer
3 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

How did the bounce game go during the week?

and who played ?

As it was a bounce game the whole squad would have played at some stage, that's the idea of a bounce game

Alec Eiffel

Ally ,McCoist on BT Sport "McGregor is one of the best penalty savers in football, he really is"  "I think McGregor will come out on top here, I really do".  "My money is on McGregor, it really is"  

Roll on Saturday.

Super_Hans
2 hours ago, heisenberg86 said:

Gordon 

Atkinson.     Souttar.   Halkett.   Kingsley 

Haring.    Devlin 

Mackay.          Boyce.          Woodburn 

Simms 

Woodburn is the only one I’m not sure about, might play Gino or even Halliday there instead, just feel Woodburn might produce something in a big game like this. Also 5 at the back with Cochrane playing could be what he goes for. Will depend on Cammys fitness if he starts, if not Halliday plays 

Woodburn out wide is a man down. Thought he played quite well in the centre against Motherwell though. Think we'll go with Haring and Halliday. Devlin not fully fit bit but will be useful of the bench

Jambo 4 Ever
26 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

That's them just taken to the air...funeral tomorrow...not ideal preparation.

Who?

Hackney Hearts
8 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Who?

The West Indies cricket team.

BackOfTheNet
40 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

You mean like Sibbick was at Ibrox? He was dreadful that day along with Moore and if he plays then we are in bother. If he's fit then Souttar has to start. 

Thats the key though isn’t it? What do you consider as fit? As there’s fit enough after being injured, fit and feeling good and match fit. I suspect Souttar is the former, which is why I would worry about him starting. Sibbick has the ability to play a good game and has shown he can do it, and maybe he’ll pull that out of the bag in the final. Problem is, there’s no perfect scenario for us, we have had too many injured and there’s already a gulf in squads before a ball is kicked. Question is, is a barely fit Souttar better than a fully fit Sibbick right now? I don’t think so. But I know others will disagree.

Jambo 4 Ever
8 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

The West Indies cricket team.

And what relevance has this got?

Using the logic that Sibbick had a bad game at Ibrox in defence so shouldn't play you could say he once was great in midfield against Rangers so must start there...... 

Whatever team or formation is picked we just need to get behind it. And 99.99% will with the odd person moaning at Robbie for

a) too light weight in midfield 

b) Not having a go

c) not having a winners mentality

d) No belief 

and my personal fav from a guy just along from me at Tyne

e) Boooooooo ( often when we are a few goals up)

Getting quite tempted with Devlin in midfield with Haring instead of Halliday. We know he’s a total windup merchant and can run for 90 minutes no bother. So if any of the guys that played in Seville start, he’ll be on them from the word go.

Hackney Hearts
26 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

And what relevance has this got?

It's the whole point of the thread, it's who we're playing in the 2022 Scottish Cup Final at Hampden on Saturday - oh no, hang on, that's Rangers, isn't it? I meant Rangers. Not the West Indies. Sorry.

Jambo 4 Ever
1 minute ago, Hackney Hearts said:

It's the whole point of the thread, it's who we're playing in the 2022 Scottish Cup Final at Hampden on Saturday - oh no, hang on, that's Rangers, isn't it? I meant Rangers. Not the West Indies. Sorry.

What funeral are you on about too?

PapaShango
31 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Thats the key though isn’t it? What do you consider as fit? As there’s fit enough after being injured, fit and feeling good and match fit. I suspect Souttar is the former, which is why I would worry about him starting. Sibbick has the ability to play a good game and has shown he can do it, and maybe he’ll pull that out of the bag in the final. Problem is, there’s no perfect scenario for us, we have had too many injured and there’s already a gulf in squads before a ball is kicked. Question is, is a barely fit Souttar better than a fully fit Sibbick right now? I don’t think so. But I know others will disagree.

Sibbicks not played a good game for Hearts since we signed him. He looks a bag of nerves every game and has real moment of slack play every week. I also thought he was quick, but watching him it looks like he has lead in his boots. I do think he has potential but I would rather not play him on Saturday. I think Halkett is a bigger miss than Souttar defensively, however Souttar is so good at bringing the ball out from the back and starting our attacks. 

PapaShango
26 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

Using the logic that Sibbick had a bad game at Ibrox in defence so shouldn't play you could say he once was great in midfield against Rangers so must start there...... 

Whatever team or formation is picked we just need to get behind it. And 99.99% will with the odd person moaning at Robbie for

a) too light weight in midfield 

b) Not having a go

c) not having a winners mentality

d) No belief 

and my personal fav from a guy just along from me at Tyne

e) Boooooooo ( often when we are a few goals up)

He hasn't played well since we signed him, that's why I don't want to play him. I'm only highlighting his performance at Ibrox as he's likely to come up against most of the players that ripped him that afternoon. 

Hackney Hearts
1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

What funeral are you on about too?

I assume they were referring to the funeral of legendary Ibrox kitman Jimmy Bell, which is tomorrow morning.

Jambo 4 Ever
Just now, Hackney Hearts said:

I assume they were referring to the funeral of legendary Ibrox kitman Jimmy Bell, which is tomorrow morning.

Yeh but how do we know all the players will be going?

Pans Jambo

Gordon

Souttar

Halkett

Kingsley

Devlin

Haring

McKay

Simms

Cochrane

And any other 2. If that lot start, I will instantly become quite hopeful.

Rick Sanchez
4 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Why would they not be? 

Jambo 4 Ever
Just now, Rick Sanchez said:

Why would they not be? 

If they are preparing for the game on Saturday - they will maybe send a few representatives 

Hackney Hearts
1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

We don't. Although there's a fair chance they've been invited, seeing as he was their legendary Ibrox kitman and they dedicated their semi-final win to him. But some of them may have better things to do, you're right. Cortege goes past Ibrox at 12 noon.

Autocorrect keeps wanting me to put legendary Ibrox hitman - luckily I've spotted it in time so far.

Watt-Zeefuik
3 hours ago, ...andFulton'sBaggio said:

Just put this on the other thread. Don't think 3 at the back is a good idea at Hampden against that lot. I'd go:

Gordon

Simms

when we defend;

Gordon 

Devlin Haring 

Simms 

when we attack

Don't think Boyce will make it (maybe bench), pretty sure Souttar and Smith aren't ready. I know Smith played last week but I don't think it was enough. Halkett and Devlin are worth the risk. Gino's main job is to push Tavernier back. McKay has the intelligence to play precise through balls from out wide. Devlin hopefully has the legs to cover Akka at right back. Simms in the Stephane Adam role

We could inflict a trophy-less season on them on the last day of the season. A repeat of 1998 is on the cards 🤞🤞🤞

Not enough cover on our right side for me. Smith got cooked over there at Ibrox and I don't enjoy the thought of McKay and Attkinson trying to shut that down.

For me it's a 3-4-3 that plays more like a 5-4-1 when they have the ball.

Craig

Natty Soapy Halks King Halliday

Gino  Devlin     Haring McKay

Simms

There's enough players on the park with attacking skill, including Souttar and Kingsley, that we can generate counters and push forward, but it's a truly wide defence ready for the big pitch.

Agree on Simms not starting—if we manage to get a lead, he's an ideal second half sub to shore up the defence.

Hackney Hearts
2 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

Agree on Simms not starting—if we manage to get a lead, he's an ideal second half sub to shore up the defence.

Controversial....

Rick Sanchez
7 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

If they are preparing for the game on Saturday - they will maybe send a few representatives 

I put all my money on them attending in their Rangers suits.