• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Notts1874

• Mikey1874

• Unknown user

Just now, Tazio said:

He (they?) reopened Spaces a few minutes ago. 

I think the chosen personal pronoun is prosecute.

1 minute ago, redjambo said:

I think the chosen personal pronoun is prosecute.

I didn’t mean pronouns I was meaning “they” as in the company as opposed to the individual, but I also believe they are one and the same until he gets bored with his new plaything. 

5 minutes ago, Tazio said:

He (they?) reopened Spaces a few minutes ago. 

I'll give it about a day until he closes it again. Unless they have fixed the huge bug in the background. (He=Musk, They=The tech people he employs) 

3 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I didn’t mean pronouns I was meaning “they” as in the company as opposed to the individual, but I also believe they are one and the same until he gets bored with his new plaything. 

I know. I was just being jocular. Apologies.

14 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

I'm very much of the generation where social media is an important thing but considering how small the twitter user base is...is this not a wild amount of coverage? 

Fair point.

Twitter is massive for the media among others so it's a big story in the media. 

4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Fair point.

Twitter is massive for the media among others so it's a big story in the media. 

It feels very much that way. I do know twitter has a huge capacity for sharing misinformation but most of the time it's amplified because journalists sit on their arses reporting what's said on Twitter! 

I despise the platform I really do. 

Just now, JFK-1 said:

I'm wondering what EU sanctions might look like, can't imagine what they might do. It's not like stick your oil up your back passage Putin.

Fines surely? 

2 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I'm wondering what EU sanctions might look like, can't imagine what they might do. It's not like stick your oil up your back passage Putin.

Any sanctions placed on Mr Musk's business over the account suspensions could be applied under the bloc's new Digital Services Act, which was approved by the EU earlier this year.

Under the terms of the proposed new law, the EU Commission will be allowed to impose fines of up to 6% of the global turnover of a firm that it finds breaks its rules.

From the BBC article. 

26 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

Twitter condemned by UN and EU over reporters’ ban

The United Nations has joined the European Union in condemning Twitter's decision to suspend some journalists who cover the social media firm.

Reporters for the New York Times, CNN and the Washington Post were among those locked out of their accounts.

The UN tweeted that media freedom is "not a toy" while the EU has threatened Twitter with sanctions.

FULL ARTICLE: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63996061

I'm not sure the United Nations should be condemning anyone. 

3 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Fines surely? 

Fines to begin with. Then failure to pay fine might lead to more action. 

I think the US might possibly look at anti competition laws with him labelling every link to Mastadon as malware, it obviously isn't. 

2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Fines to begin with. Then failure to pay fine might lead to more action. 

I think the US might possibly look at anti competition laws with him labelling every link to Mastadon as malware, it obviously isn't. 

I don't think the EU have much in their arsenal beyond fines regarding the journalism suspensions. Need to see what the DSA looks like when/if it passes. Non-compliance of fine payments surely has to be backed up by something though.

The US will probably have a few more weapons to bring to the party at this point in time. 

7 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

I don't think the EU have much in their arsenal beyond fines regarding the journalism suspensions. Need to see what the DSA looks like when/if it passes. Non-compliance of fine payments surely has to be backed up by something though.

The US will probably have a few more weapons to bring to the party at this point in time. 

The US authorities will probably be happy to let him burn it to the ground himself without really getting involved. 

Don't worry though he's running a twitter poll to see if he should reinstate the journalists, because that's how adults decide things 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

40 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

It's certainly some way to announce your return😂😂😂.... Meanwhile actual journalists are banned because he doesn't like them. 

But 

The Childish Drama of Elon Musk

Yet again, an important part of the public square is controlled by a narcissistic toddler.

Musk’s weird rampage does have an impact on the way the world around you exchanges information. Twitter has many levels; for some people, it’s a place to talk about oddball hobbies and exchange pet pictures. (Have you met my cat?)

But it’s also an extremely valuable conduit for news, information, culture, and argument. Twitter doesn’t control the news, but it helps to shape public debate about many issues. Indeed, Musk’s entire public rationale for taking over Twitter was to preserve an important venue for free speech.

Musk’s defense of free speech is nonsense. One of the world’s richest men—who is not shy about his politics or his contempt for the free press—has reinstated Donald Trump, white supremacists, and any number of dangerous malefactors to Twitter, but he has made it clear that CNN's Donie O’Sullivan is beyond the pale.

He has purchased an important and influential piece of the public square not to enhance public debate, but to punish people who annoy him.

FULL ARTICLE: https://www.theatlantic.com/newsletters/archive/2022/12/the-childish-drama-of-elon-musk/672496/

dobmisterdobster
1 hour ago, Des Lynam said:

I'm not sure the United Nations should be condemning anyone. 

The UN can go f themselves. As for the EU, Elon did say he would stress test their regulations to see what they would enforce 🤔

1 hour ago, BlueRiver said:

Any sanctions placed on Mr Musk's business over the account suspensions could be applied under the bloc's new Digital Services Act, which was approved by the EU earlier this year.

Under the terms of the proposed new law, the EU Commission will be allowed to impose fines of up to 6% of the global turnover of a firm that it finds breaks its rules.

From the BBC article. 

Based on turnover of $5billion in 2021, that would be up to $300million.

Not to be sniffed at, but it wouldn't really hurt.

Pretty mental though, it's a company that brought in $5b last year, never mind their expenses, but it's cost Musk many times that amount, and growing.

dobmisterdobster
5 hours ago, Led Tasso said:

The point is that Alex Jones had his own media company that he owned and used it to spread lies that destroyed people's lives. Musk is starting to amplify and personally retweet things associated with QAn*n, false accusations of paedophilia against queer people, and other nonsense that has driven multiple mass shootings in our country. I've deleted my Twitter accounts and have little interest in going back, but I'm far more worried about him whipping up violent extremists that he's suddenly decided are kind of cool.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/12/14/qanon-musk-revival-twitter/

image.thumb.png.c4533577f24bf01566426b5f8ca9e646.png

image.thumb.png.27715242677042db8bb83b6a5a5ce87e.png

If Musk were just writing on his own personal blog, it would be perhaps worrying but no more than other far right or conspiracy publications. Him taking over a platform as prominent as Twitter is far more dangerous though.

You're reading way too much into Elon's troll comments. Please quit your pearl clutching.

6 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

You're reading way too much into Elon's troll comments. Please quit your pearl clutching.

"You went full ****** man.

Never go full ******."

29 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

He's not really qanon and isn't really far right? He's just pretending to be to troll people?

dobmisterdobster
31 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

He's not really qanon and isn't really far right? He's just pretending to be to troll people?

Do you believe Elon is turning the frogs gay?

Just now, dobmisterdobster said:

Do you believe Elon is turning the frogs gay?

I believe you're talking utter shite I know nothing about. Are you going to answer the question or just make a further arse of yourself?

1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Mate I don't know if you've noticed but over here when some jackass puts a bunch of shit online for a few million people to read, a small but significantly armed minority have a bad habit of taking them seriously and going and shooting innocent people over it. 50 miles south of here they went and put out the power for a whole county for a week with their firearms, likely because of some misguided shit about drag shows and pedophilia.

7 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

correct and those not happy with it can piss off 

Interesting take. Do you think people who own pubs, hotels, B&B's, gyms, rental property and many other privately owned service providers should tell gay folk to piss off, if they don't like it , you know like the folk who didn't want to make them cakes, or allow them to stay for the weekend it marry them? 

Roger McNamee, a longtime Silicon Valley investor and author of "Zucked: Waking Up to the Facebook Catastrophe," joins MSNBC's Ali Velshi to discuss the controversial decision by Twitter to suspend the accounts of journalists who have been critical of owner Elon Musk, a self-described "free speech absolutist," for what Musk called “doxxing.”

7 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Interesting take. Do you think people who own pubs, hotels, B&B's, gyms, rental property and many other privately owned service providers should tell gay folk to piss off, if they don't like it , you know like the folk who didn't want to make them cakes, or allow them to stay for the weekend it marry them? 

ffs will you put a sock in it and stop going on about my sexuality as if thats all it is that defines me.  its getting boring now and also trolling. stop it. 

20 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

I rest my case.

Anyway, was banning them justified? I don't think so.

Was it hilariously funny? Absolutely.

What a sad, pathetic, little life you must lead. And for that you have my pity.

You're welcome.

2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

ffs will you put a sock in it and stop going on about my sexuality as if thats all it is that defines me.  its getting boring now and also trolling. stop it. 

He's asking a reasonable question based on what you've put out there about yourself 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

He's asking a reasonable question based on what you've put out there about yourself 🤷‍♂️

Would he keep mentioning my colour if I was black ? He can never ask any “ reasonable “ question 

The site is a private site . He can set any rules he wants . Just like most companies can , within laws and rules 

7 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Would he keep mentioning my colour if I was black ? He can never ask any “ reasonable “ question 

He's asking because it's relevant, not because it's derogatory, and no one's forcing you to reply. It was you who made a feature of your sexuality, no one else.

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

He's asking because it's relevant, not because it's derogatory, and no one's forcing you to reply. It was you who made a feature of your sexuality, no one else.

“ made a feature “ of it ? What a comment . Should I have hidden it . ? Truly pathetic comment .

il Duce McTarkin

“ made a feature “ of it ? What a comment . Should I have hidden it . ? Truly pathetic comment .

Is this is the part where I usually wade in uninvited with some homophobic comments?

1 minute ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Is this is the part where I usually wade in uninvited with some homophobic comments?

Aye go on then ! Why no . I tend to value your views really 

il Duce McTarkin
9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Aye go on then ! Why no . I tend to value your views really 

:D My views are best ignored, James, as they're not necessarily my views.

Ausseh makes some fair points, bud, although a little clumsily. I don't read any real malice in it though.

You are who you are and you play to the gallery when it suits you (which is pretty funny a lot of the time), but it's only fair that it can be chucked back at you a wee bit now and then, as long as it doesn't cross the lines.

From what I've seen, the mods, and other posters, do a decent job of policing and self policing.

:thumbsup:

Yep, made a feature of it.

Like I say, his question's fair enough, I don't think there's much justification for your outrage.

16 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

:D My views are best ignored, James, as they're not necessarily my views.

Ausseh makes some fair points, bud, although a little clumsily. I don't read any real malice in it though.

You are who you are and you play to the gallery when it suits you (which is pretty funny a lot of the time), but it's only fair that it can be chucked back at you a wee bit now and then, as long as it doesn't cross the lines.

From what I've seen, the mods, and other posters, do a decent job of policing and self policing.

:thumbsup:

Fair enough .👍 heading to pub now after a great Hertz win . Have a good night . 

I’m a libertarian . Free speech should never be censored . No Matter however one may disagree . Musk is getting shot of the arseholes who are supposedly for free speech . They aren’t . 

Just to clear up the bullshit in the above post. 

Musk banned journalists who he accused of doxing him. Not one of them did as the information was in the public domain. He also banned a journalist who exposed the working practices at Tesla. 

He's just a thin skinned narcissist. 

If you think Musk is the free speech guy in this you must be zipped up the back. 

il Duce McTarkin
44 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

If you think Musk is the free speech guy in this you must be zipped up the back. 

Like this?

Mens Gimp Outfit Halloween Bondage Stag Do Party Fancy Dress Costume  Bodysuit kjøp billig — fri frakt, ekte anmeldelser med bilder — Joom

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

KarenKarenKaren don't take it to heart, ma man. Just questioning some inconsistent views, that's all.

KarenKarenKaren :lol: