Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts

mickycameron98

Ricardo Quaresma
22 minutes ago, 1953 said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that 70% of teams that go through play the second leg at home so definitely an advantage we don't want to lose.

Was that before away goals was scrapped or after, or included both?

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

• hughesie27

8 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Was that before away goals was scrapped or after, or included both?

Not sure, it would have been a few years ago. It's just a figure that's stuck with me for some reason.

Ricardo Quaresma
53 minutes ago, 1953 said:

Not sure, it would have been a few years ago. It's just a figure that's stuck with me for some reason.

Well, it sounds about right; would like to know if it's changed since the end of away goals

Harry Potter
3 hours ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

They are amateurish

I already stated that this would be a greasy fixture

We can beat them, we can definitely outscore them

Cant believe the team that won their top league by 14 points dont own their own stadium.

1 minute ago, Harry Potter said:

Cant believe the team that won their top league by 14 points dont own their own stadium.

Neither do AC Milan and they won Serie A its quite common in Europe

Bazzas right boot
4 hours ago, Kiss my badge said:

Tottenham couldn't play a home fixture last year due to an outbreak of covid. The cancellation was due to medical reasons but the result was awarded 0-3 to their opposition ( Rennes)

And I get that Ukraine teams are currently allowed to play elsewhere and we all know the sad reasons for that. 

However for a professional football club to allow their stadium to be used for a concert with the full knowledge they could have a game on that date is just not on, and has to lead to a forfeit of the fixture. 

If FC Zurich can not fulfill this fixture on their own ground on the date arranged surely the match should be awarded as a 0-3 win to Hearts. 

I actually agree. 

To plan a concert the same time as you meant to be playing football is ridiculous. 

I can't see their fans being pleased either, very strange. 

Should be like us and get the concerts over and done with early on, even if it does ruin the pitch. 

2 hours ago, GorgieOnTour said:

Seen some chat of Edin>Geneva direct Wednesday and returning Friday. Had a quick research on the trains too and albeit being 3 and half hours.. the rail link seems pretty good. Think I’ll do this as prices ok.

This is what I have done 

Geneva airport has a train station and you can get to St Gallen direct 

Trains run every 20/30 mins 

Flight price gone up since yesterday but not hugely 

Flight times are good as I’m taking my 12 to 

33 minutes ago, rory78 said:

Neither do AC Milan and they won Serie A its quite common in Europe

Very common, this is from an article written in 2017, won't have changed much.

"In the Premier League 16 out of 20 Premier League clubs own their stadia while 10 out of 18 clubs own their grounds in the Bundesliga.

Contrast this to Spain’s La Liga where 13 stadia are owned by municipalities, Italy’s Serie A where 17 stadia are publicly owned and France’s Ligue 1 where a massive 19 stadia are under public ownership."

pettigrewsstylist
3 hours ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Can't see why the fixtures would be switched to us being at home the first leg. Playing at home the second leg is a big advantage and their own fault for renting out their stadium on a date they could have been playing in europe. Especially being a Thursday.  Can you imagine the seethe if Budge had rented Tynecastle out on one of our euro dates!? 😄

Gives us a slight boost playing our away leg in a neutral venue, then knowing what we need to do in front of a packed Tynie in the 2nd leg.

Losing 2nd leg home advantage is not on. We should dig our heels in, if reqd.

9 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

This is what I have done 

You've gone from never going back to following Hearts through Europe. 🤔

32 minutes ago, luckydug said:

You've gone from never going back to following Hearts through Europe. 🤔

Sorry 

I don’t think I ever said I will never be back. I’m not fussed about going to the games - if I go o go and if I don’t I don’t. Previously I went everywhere including all over Europe. No longer a priority for me for various reasons. Other interests, time and financial. 

However I promised my youngest that if Heart of Midlothian qualified for Europe I would take him. I did it with my other kids. 

Hope that meets your vetting requirements 😉🙂

When are we likely to hear of any changes I was sure the guy on the draw said 6pm CET which I think is 5pm our time 

Worthing Jambo
47 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

This is what I have done 

Quite a scenic journey that should be, Alps on your right hand side across the lake.

Done it on the motorway and had to stop to take a look before I crashed by not concentrating!

Trains in Switzerland are something else when it comes to scenery and punctuality.

Heartsmad1874
5 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

When are we likely to hear of any changes I was sure the guy on the draw said 6pm CET which I think is 5pm our time 

Should have been by 5pm our time. Very strange 🤷🏻‍♂️

8 minutes ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Quite a scenic journey that should be, Alps on your right hand side across the lake.

Done it on the motorway and had to stop to take a look before I crashed by not concentrating!

Trains in Switzerland are something else when it comes to scenery and punctuality.

Thank you - good to know 🙌

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, PTBCAL said:

This is what I have done 

This is something you’re 12 year old will remember forever.

Took my son to Munich.

Great memories.

GorgieOnTour
1 hour ago, PTBCAL said:

This is what I have done 

yep it’s what I’m doing too.. the train from Geneva to St.Gallen is actually 4hrs, between the scenery and the local beers.. it’ll be absolutely fine. 

staying in St.Gallen wed/thurs.

Jason Dufner

Assuming the fixtures haven’t been changed since there’s been no announcement and the deadline has passed?

Hopefully Hearts told them to ram any request to switch the venue. Huge advantage to be at home second leg…And travel booked for the first!

Heartsmad1874
1 minute ago, Jason Dufner said:

Assuming the fixtures haven’t been changed since there’s been no announcement and the deadline has passed?

Hopefully Hearts told them to ram any request to switch the venue. Huge advantage to be at home second leg…And travel booked for the first!

You'd still have expected the club to confirm it though

davemclaren
1 minute ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Nothing on the UEFA site yet either. 🤷‍♂️

Jason Dufner
5 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Fair point, hopefully confirmed soon

MarkDevriesScores4

Yeah, they said they’d notify the clubs by 6pm CET if there was any change. Therefore if nothing has been communicated by hearts by now, there’s nothing to communicate. 

now let’s watch Linfield pump Zurich 😂

4 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Nothing on the UEFA site yet either. 🤷‍♂️

davemclaren
5 minutes ago, MarkDevriesScores4 said:

Yeah, they said they’d notify the clubs by 6pm CET if there was any change. Therefore if nothing has been communicated by hearts by now, there’s nothing to communicate. 

now let’s watch Linfield pump Zurich 😂

Is it live on any tv channel?

11 minutes ago, Jason Dufner said:

Not that it’s going to be switched but Hearts would not have had any say or any appeal in the matter if it had been.

Its in the rules of the competition that UEFA can switch fixtures and was clearly stated before the draw

2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Is it live on any tv channel?

247tv, whatever that is. I’ll hunt around on my magic fire stick tomorrow and see if I can find it. If not there’s always Dundee Utd to watch.

Fozzyonthefence
32 minutes ago, Jason Dufner said:

I agree, now that the away goals rule has been removed a home tie in the second leg could well be more of an advantage these days.  As well as knowing exactly what you need to do there is more chance of the tie going to extra time now with all level games now going to extra time (so an extra 30 minutes at home compared to the other team, in addition to any extra time goals no longer counting double which I always thought was unfair).

In addition, under the away goals rule, previously if you got a respectable 1-0 away defeat in the first leg, while you might well fancy your chances the reality was if you lost an away goal in the 2nd leg against decent opposition the tie was usually effectively over as you had to score 3 without reply or you were out, but now 2 would get you extra time.

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Cory McNamara

Linfield FC won their game against the famous Norwegian side at home two weeks ago. Zurich FC is in a shaky position right now. Results are not there, new coach, fresh (or not so much) system, pressure & responsibility. Some may think, that Zurich is too much for the Irish team, but who really knows? Maybe it's the right time for them to make a stand. Both teams are champions. A lot is going on right now. Hearts look better and stronger day by day, just have to change few bits here & there.  

And here they are sitting and discussing how expensive Zurich is, what happened with their stadium. Sure, they had plans about a concert months ago, it's their priority, this arena should make few extra bucks. No need to explain, that owners don't give a flying duck about qualification, it's a second thought for them. 

Enjoy Dundee United and Linfield clashes at first. 

Tom Hardy’s Dug
7 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

It is the ground they play at, as do FC Grasshopper Zurich. But neither club own the stadium, it is owned by the Zurich Town Cpuncil. It may be rhe case that the town council were invovled in arranging the concert being held in the stadium. We'll find out today if there is any reason why UEFA might reverse the home legs of the ties, thry may well sy it should go ahead as is, with the first leg being played in St Gallen

Maybe the concert will be a better night? Who is playing?

Rocky jamboa
6 hours ago, 1953 said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that 70% of teams that go through play the second leg at home so definitely an advantage we don't want to lose.

That's interesting. 

I suppose it didn't work that way via Bordeaux when we won 1-0 over there (I was there! 😁 - Still got my ticket) and then beat 2-0 at home. But then the leipzig game. Did we lose 2-0 away or something but then won 5-1 at home? Defo a big advantage. 

Will be some atmosphere at tynecastle in the home leg if we're on level terms or only a goal behind after the first leg. 

11 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

That's interesting. 

I suppose it didn't work that way via Bordeaux when we won 1-0 over there (I was there! 😁 - Still got my ticket) and then beat 2-0 at home. But then the leipzig game. Did we lose 2-0 away or something but then won 5-1 at home? Defo a big advantage. 

Will be some atmosphere at tynecastle in the home leg if we're on level terms or only a goal behind after the first leg. 

The approach in the second leg against Bordeaux was all wrong. But it's also true that a good result in the first leg can bring its own challenges in terms of the psychology of a tie. At least there is no away goals rule now, which simplifies things though.  

Tom Hardy’s Dug
29 minutes ago, stirlo said:

The approach in the second leg against Bordeaux was all wrong. But it's also true that a good result in the first leg can bring its own challenges in terms of the psychology of a tie. At least there is no away goals rule now, which simplifies things though.  

Along with one of the most mental goals I have seen at Tynie for their first goal…

south morocco
9 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Along with one of the most mental goals I have seen at Tynie for their first goal…

He could have hit that another 30 odd times and never scored. They were a fantastic side though 

48 minutes ago, south morocco said:

He could have hit that another 30 odd times and never scored. They were a fantastic side though 

Yep, but we also had a Stamp goal ruled out just on half time, questionable offside, small margins

Rocky jamboa
1 minute ago, airthjambo said:

Yep, but we also had a Stamp goal ruled out just on half time, questionable offside, small margins

Did Valois not loss the ball in midfield that lead to their first goal?? They were a good team. Did that boy darcheville not play for them?

2 hours ago, Cory McNamara said:

Linfield FC won their game against the famous Norwegian side at home two weeks ago. Zurich FC is in a shaky position right now. Results are not there, new coach, fresh (or not so much) system, pressure & responsibility. Some may think, that Zurich is too much for the Irish team, but who really knows? Maybe it's the right time for them to make a stand. Both teams are champions. A lot is going on right now. Hearts look better and stronger day by day, just have to change few bits here & there.  

And here they are sitting and discussing how expensive Zurich is, what happened with their stadium. Sure, they had plans about a concert months ago, it's their priority, this arena should make few extra bucks. No need to explain, that owners don't give a flying duck about qualification, it's a second thought for them. 

Enjoy Dundee United and Linfield clashes at first. 

The owners of the club do not own the stadium.

heartsfc_fan
30 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

Did Valois not loss the ball in midfield that lead to their first goal?? They were a good team. Did that boy darcheville not play for them?

He did.

They also had Pochettino playing for them aswell.

Craig Gordon and Robbie Neilson played for us.

Rocky jamboa
8 minutes ago, feedtheroman2 said:

Bordeaux's first against us was the best goal I have ever seen live.

It wasn't bad was it! As was the second! 😄

Edited by Rocky jamboa

Cory McNamara
31 minutes ago, graygo said:

The owners of the club do not own the stadium.

Exactly, that's what I am talking about. They are free to make a mess of some sort. At the end of a day they may say that there are two big clubs, concerts, athletics, meetings; so it's hard to make everybody happy.

Bazzas right boot
48 minutes ago, feedtheroman2 said:

Bordeaux's first against us was the best goal I have ever seen live.

Aye, first minute as well. 

****ed everything. 

Pasquale for King
9 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Aye, first minute as well. 

****ed everything. 

8th 

Pasquale for King
50 minutes ago, Rocky jamboa said:

It wasn't bad was it! As was the second! 😄

That GK should’ve saved that, whatever happened  to him 😜
Valois barely played again after losing possession for that goal. 

Cory McNamara

Dundee United FC vs. AZ Alkmaar

Thursday August 4th 2022, Tannadice Park, Dundee, Scotland

The Kick-Off is at Twenty Hundred 

giphy.gif?cid=790b76119fd5e9602866a4f9a0

Nookie Bear
12 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Maybe the concert will be a better night? Who is playing?

Some guys called Gola & Trauffer playing there on the 19th so assuming a big stage set up.

Nope, me neither 🤷‍♂️

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts