Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts

mickycameron98

Uncle Buck
7 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Cool. So briefly they are playing QR2 this week and next. The winners go to QR3. Some bigger clubs are automatically in QR3. The 10 winners in QR3 go to the next stage of the CL. The 10 losers go to the EL play off. it is highly likely that we’ll draw one if those QR3 losers in our play off, although there another 2 clubs who qualify for that play off, into the same list we’ll get drawn against through a slightly different route. So the bottom line is there will be 12 possible clubs we could get drawn against by the time these qualifiers are sorted out in the next few weeks

Thank you. 👍

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

• hughesie27

It's looking highly unlikely we are getting the dream Europa League qualifier against Hibernians then, unless Shamrock Rovers have a Hibs-playoff-esque implosion. 

Swelljambo
11 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Cool. So briefly they are playing QR2 this week and next. The winners go to QR3. Some bigger clubs are automatically in QR3. The 10 winners in QR3 go to the next stage of the CL. The 10 losers go to the EL play off. it is highly likely that we’ll draw one if those QR3 losers in our play off, although there another 2 clubs who qualify for that play off, into the same list we’ll get drawn against through a slightly different route. So the bottom line is there will be 12 possible clubs we could get drawn against by the time these qualifiers are sorted out in the next few weeks

Not quite right. These fixtures are QR1 and will be completed next week. As I mentioned 15 teams in the list will drop out this round to the conference league. In QR2, ties July 19/20th and 26/27th, 20 ties will take place. The 10 losers of these QR2 ties will drop into Europa League QR3 and play each other in 5 ties. The 5 winners of the Europa League QR3, ties played August 4th and 11th, are some of the possible opponents for Hearts. The other possible opponents will come from the 6 teams at top of the list I attached earlier. I'll delete possible playoff opponents from the list after each round of ties.

8 minutes ago, Swelljambo said:

Not quite right. These fixtures are QR1 and will be completed next week. As I mentioned 15 teams in the list will drop out this round to the conference league. In QR2, ties July 19/20th and 26/27th, 20 ties will take place. The 10 losers of these QR2 ties will drop into Europa League QR3 and play each other in 5 ties. The 5 winners of the Europa League QR3, ties played August 4th and 11th, are some of the possible opponents for Hearts. The other possible opponents will come from the 6 teams at top of the list I attached earlier. I'll delete possible playoff opponents from the list after each round of ties.

In the draw 

Hearts

Partizan

Slovacko

Dynamo

Fenerbahce

Midtjylland

AEK Larnaca

5 of these to still qualify for the draw 

Viktoria

Dinamo Zagreb

FC Zurich

Olympiacos

Maccabi Haifa

Bodo

Malmo

Ludogorets

CFR Cluj

Qarabag

Tobol Kustanai

Ferencvaros

Shaktior Saligorsk

Lech Poznan

Maribor

Slovan Bratislava

Zalgiris Vlinius

F91 Dudelange

Zrinjski Mostar

Shamrock Rovers

Shkupi

Pyunik

RFS Riga

KF Tirana

Linfield

Dinamo Batumi

HJK Helsinki

Sheriff

Hibernians

KI Klasvik

Balkani

Lincoln Red Imps

Sutjeska

The New Saints

Vikingur Reykjavik

By Wednesday night next week we’ll be able to get rid of a huge chunk of these and by 18th of July we should have a good idea of a couple other teams going into the draw, depending on how easy some of the draws are to predict an outcome of. 

Heartsmad1874
47 minutes ago, Jambo in Yorkshire said:

We can’t play the teams that drop down from the CL.

Technically yes we can, all our potential opponents apart from Partizan and Slovacko are currently in the Champions League.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

On 29/06/2022 at 22:44, jonesy said:

It's still an absolute nonsense that those clubs are playing European football. Since when were Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan European countries?

Might as well just combine the UEFA stuff with Asia and make a Eurasian club competition with the top Japanese, Korean and Middle Eastern clubs.

Worked  in Kazakhstan a few years ago and went for a run from the European  side across the  Ural river to the Asian side and back. So at least part of it is in Europe

Jambo in Yorkshire
1 hour ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Technically yes we can, all our potential opponents apart from Partizan and Slovacko are currently in the Champions League.

Agreed, I meant Q3 CL, if a team loses in earlier rounds they could win through to the play off.

On 30/06/2022 at 21:23, tian447 said:

There is probably more of a financial gain by playing in UEFA competitions instead of AFC ones. 

I wonder why they thought about switching in the first place though, they are not a terrible team (although not very good), but they must have stood a better chance of qualifying for World Cups if they had stayed in qualifying groups containing the likes of Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, Nepal, and Sri Lanka, than they do currently, which is ****ing no chance :lol:

They probably wanted to get better, by playing against the best.

Heartsmad1874

Couple results so far today,

Tobol 0-0 Ferencvaros

Bodo Glimt 3-0 KI Klaksvik

HJK Helsinki 1-0 RFS

Heartsmad1874
2 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Couple results so far today,

Tobol 0-0 Ferencvaros

Bodo Glimt 3-0 KI Klaksvik

HJK Helsinki 1-0 RFS

Dudelange 1-0 Tirana

Zrinjski Mostar 0-0 Sheriff

Maribor 0-0 Shakhtyor Soligorsk

Slovan Bratislava 0-0 Dinamo Batumi.

Reminder of the 2nd qualifying round draw

Tobol/Ferencvaros v Slovan Bratislava/Dinamo Batumi

Dinamo Zagreb v Shkupi/Lincoln Red Imps

Lech Poznan/Qarabag v Zurich

The New Saints/Linfield v Bodo-Glimt/KI Klaksvik

Ballkani/Zalgiris v Malmo/Vikingur

HJK/RFS v Plzen

Ludogorets R/Sutjeska N v Shamrock Rovers/Hibernians

Maribor/Shakhtyor Soligorsk v Zrinjski Mostar/Sheriff

Maccabi Haifa v Olympiacos

Pyunik/CFR Cluj v Dudelange/Tirana

10 losers from these games drop to Europa League 3rd Round then the 5 winners advance to Play off round, Priority Three.

Based on last nights results its now more than likely Ludogorets Razgrad will play Shamrock Rovers and surely see them off meaning Shamrock would drop to Europa QR3, one round away from potentially facing us.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

maroondevo52
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

I’ve read this thread but no further forward how this all works. 🤣

That's the boat I'm in 😀

the solutions on 3-2-1 were easier to understand

Read the post below yours (slowly) That fellah has nailed it

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Slow is all I tend to do these days. 

8 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

The alternative is dont look at the thread until 2nd August when we will know our opponents, however it will still be one of two clubs

22 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

The alternative is dont look at the thread until 2nd August when we will know our opponents, however it will still be one of two clubs

So we'll still not know our opponents.  😀

1 minute ago, RENE said:

So we'll still not know our opponents.  😀

Nope. We won’t know till the 11th August. 1 week before our tie. We might know if we are home first or away first - not even sure on that to be honest and even then there could be changes if 2 clubs from the same city are due to play on the same night (doesn’t apply to Edinburgh obviously)

The Treasurer
10 hours ago, davemclaren said:

You're not the only one Dave

Bull's-eye
10 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I hope your seething, pissing your pants & foaming at the mouth at the prospect of finding out in due course at the same time as everyone else who plays who......... in true JKB fashion 😆😆

The Hogfather

The teams eliminated from this round of Champions League qualifiers go into the Conference League qualifiers so we’ve no reason to consider them at this point. 

The teams eliminated from the next round of Champions League qualifiers go into the 3rd round of Europa League playoffs. We enter at the play off round. That’s the simple way to follow what’s happening. 

FarmerTweedy
21 hours ago, Swelljambo said:

If 20 ties take place, there'll be 20 losers, not 10!

Swelljambo
5 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

If 20 ties take place, there'll be 20 losers, not 10!

Very true! 10 ties and 10 losers.

10 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Thanks JC.

Noted on calendar not to open this thread until 02/08😎

I admire the guys who are wadding through the various ties & possible opponents considering the permutations set out by UEFA rules. Better them than me!

parisjambo
21 hours ago, moonraker said:

Worked  in Kazakhstan a few years ago and went for a run from the European  side across the  Ural river to the Asian side and back. So at least part of it is in Europe

This in Atyrau?

I used to walk to work from Europe to Asia when I was there.

1 hour ago, parisjambo said:

This in Atyrau?

I used to walk to work from Europe to Asia when I was there.

It was in Atyrau, I spent a week delivering training at the Offices of the Chevron subsidiary there. Hotel was just across the street and close to the bridge.

Harry Potter
19 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Need a degree in statistics.

1 hour ago, moonraker said:

It was in Atyrau, I spent a week delivering training at the Offices of the Chevron subsidiary there. Hotel was just across the street and close to the bridge.

Out of curiosity what was Atyrau (or Kazakhstan as a whole) like?

55 minutes ago, ModJambo said:

Not sure if you will be able to access these pics. https://photos.google.com/search/_p0x3e4a125c0e268d2d_Atyrau

It was flat, fairly open with lots of Statues. A big mosque and one impressive  Orthodox church that I saw. I was there in November so very cold. To be honest Between The Hotel and The office I never really did much. Did find one shopping centre which was OK. People seemed fairly introverted compared to UK which did make my job little more taxing. They were trying to persuade me that Camels milk was delicious.

john thomas
10 minutes ago, moonraker said:

Not sure if you will be able to access these pics. https://photos.google.com/search/_p0x3e4a125c0e268d2d_Atyrau

It was flat, fairly open with lots of Statues. A big mosque and one impressive  Orthodox church that I saw. I was there in November so very cold. To be honest Between The Hotel and The office I never really did much. Did find one shopping centre which was OK. People seemed fairly introverted compared to UK which did make my job little more taxing. They were trying to persuade me that Camels milk was delicious.

Is it Kazakhstan where the local tipple is fermented horse milk?

4 minutes ago, john thomas said:

4 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Horses milk and meat are both consumed, they  also drink camels milk and eat camel meat, In my hotel I did have  cream of Brussel Sprout Soup in  which was surprisingly good

john thomas
2 hours ago, moonraker said:

Horses milk and meat are both consumed, they  also drink camels milk and eat camel meat, In my hotel I did have  cream of Brussel Sprout Soup in  which was surprisingly good

Think they ferment horses milk 

It's the local hooch 

Who tf milks the horses ?

Tom Hardy’s Dug
12 hours ago, john thomas said:

Think they ferment horses milk 

It's the local hooch 

Who tf milks the horses ?

The issue of milk always makes me wonder - who was the first person that decided to consume cow milk and how did they first “extract” it?

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

The issue of milk always makes me wonder - who was the first person that decided to consume cow milk and how did they first “extract” it?

100% they thought they were doing something else. 

Gorgie_Rules
On 05/07/2022 at 14:08, The Hogfather said:

Stolen this from Twitter, someone's put together a list of possible routes based on possible opponents.

Screenshot 2022-07-05 at 13.55.22.png

Quite a few teams on this list playing just now/tonight in CL 2nd leg qualifiers. Anyone any idea how these games could impact who we get and if any results are preferable?

Heartsmad1874
43 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Quite a few teams on this list playing just now/tonight in CL 2nd leg qualifiers. Anyone any idea how these games could impact who we get and if any results are preferable?

Any losers of this round of Champions League aren't potential opponents for us, any losers drop to Conference League Champions Path, Round Two.

For example Lech Poznan are getting smashed at the moment and are going to drop down to Conference League, Qarabag will advance to play FC Zurich.

This round is all about us knocking teams off the huge list of potentials we can face.

We'd prefer teams like RFS and Zalgiris etc to win this round and then lose in the next round as they amongst the other losers from Champions League Qualifying Round 2 drop to Europa League QR3. 10 teams, 5 matches. 

5 winners from that stage advance to Play off round and become potentials for us along with the likes of Partizan/Slovacko/Midtjylland/AEK Larnaca/Fenerbahce/Dynamo Kyiv.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

On 07/07/2022 at 16:52, ModJambo said:

It very nice 

Gorgie_Rules
8 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Any losers of this round of Champions League aren't potential opponents for us, any losers drop to Conference League Champions Path, Round Two.

For example Lech Poznan are getting smashed at the moment and are going to drop down to Conference League, Qarabag will advance to play FC Zurich.

This round is all about us knocking teams off the huge list of potentials we can face.

We'd prefer teams like RFS and Zalgiris etc to win this round and then lose in the next round as they amongst the other losers from Champions League Qualifying Round 2 drop to Europa League QR3. 10 teams, 5 matches. 

5 winners from that stage advance to Play off round and become potentials for us along with the likes of Partizan/Slovacko/Midtjylland/AEK Larnaca/Fenerbahce/Dynamo Kyiv.

Nice one thanks for that. Do you know if the list above is the complete list of teams we could face or potentially more to come?

I note that Lech Poznan have just been knocked out who are a side from the list who would likely have beat us, however keeps Qarabag in. RFS currently extra time with Helsinki.

The only other two tough sides playing tonight are Ludogorets who are 2-0 up from 1st leg and Malmo who are 3-2 up from 1st leg away to Vikingur Reykjavik.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

Heartsmad1874
16 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

Nice one thanks for that. Do you know if the list above is the complete list of teams we could face or potentially more to come?

I note that Lech Poznan have just been knocked out who are a side from the list who would likely have beat us, however keepe Qarabag in. RFS currently extra time with Helsinki.

The only other two tough sides playing tonight are Ludogorets who are 2-0 up from 1st leg and Malmo who are 3-2 up from 1st leg away to Vikingur Reykjavik.

Tobol

Ferencvaros

Slovan Bratislava

Dinamo Batumi

Dinamo Zagreb

Shkupi

Qarabag

Zurich

The New Saints

Linfield

Bodo-Glimt

KI Klaksvik

Ballkani

Zalgiris

Malmo

Vikingur

RFS

HJK

Plzen

Ludogorets Razgrad

Sutjeska Niksic

Shamrock Rovers

Hibernians

Maribor

Shakhtyor Soligorsk

Zrinjski Mostar

Sheriff Tiraspol

Maccabi Haifa

Olympiacos

Pyunik

CFR Cluj

Dudelange

Tirana

AEK Larnaca

Dynamo Kyiv

Fenerbahce

Midtjylland

Partizan

Slovacko

Thats the current, live list. No new teams to add. This list will only get smaller as teams get knocked out/progress.One of RFS and HJK will be knocked out shortly same with Ballkani and Zalgiris.

The draw for Round 2 is as follows

Dinamo Zagreb v Shkupi

Qarabag v Zurich

RFS/HJK v Plzen

Ludogorets R/Sutjeska N v Shamrock R/Hibernians

Maribor/Shakhtyor S v Zrinjski Mostar/Sheriff

You mentioned Ludogorets and Malmo but looking at the above draw you'd back both of them to win in Round Two meaning Shamrock Rovers and the winners of Ballkani/Zalgiris to fall into Europa League.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

The Hogfather
12 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

I note that Lech Poznan have just been knocked out who are a side from the list who would likely have beat us, however keeps Qarabag in. RFS currently extra time with Helsinki.

No more to come. We'll play someone from this list.

Gorgie_Rules

My understanding from Wikipedia is that on Monday 18th of July we will know of the 12 teams we could potentially face, two of this 12 will definitely include Partizan Belgrade of Serbia of Slovacko of Czech Republic.

On the 2nd of August we will know the tie we are going to face, the 2 teams will have to play each other twice and we won’t know for definite which one we will play until 11th August, 1 week before our first tie on the 18th.

If my understanding is correct and with the short timescales involved, i can’t see us taking a fairly big crowd to the Europa League play off, especially with many happy to wait until the guaranteed group games.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

Heartsmad1874
7 minutes ago, Gorgie_Rules said:

My understanding from Wikipedia is that on Monday 18th of July we will know of the 12 teams we could potentially face, two of this 12 will definitely include Partizan Belgrade of Serbia of Slovacko of Czech Republic.

On the 2nd of August we will know the tie we are going to face, the 2 teams will have to play each other twice and we won’t know for definite which one we will play until 11th August, 1 week before our first tie on the 18th.

If my understanding is correct and with the short timescales involved, i can’t see us taking a fairly big crowd to the Europa League play off, especially with many happy to wait until the guaranteed group games.

I'm going to guess that when the draws made on the 2nd, UEFA confirm the fixtures and communicate any potential changes/contingencies the following hours/day after the draw, should some teams be at home at the same time as rivals etc.

Can't see them waiting until 12th August to confirm dates. Harsh on supporters giving 6 days notice of booking flights etc.

Heartsmad1874
49 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Tobol

Ferencvaros

Slovan Bratislava

Dinamo Batumi

Dinamo Zagreb

Shkupi

Qarabag

Zurich

The New Saints

Linfield

Bodo-Glimt

KI Klaksvik

Ballkani

Zalgiris

Malmo

Vikingur

RFS

HJK

Plzen

Ludogorets Razgrad

Sutjeska Niksic

Shamrock Rovers

Hibernians

Maribor

Shakhtyor Soligorsk

Zrinjski Mostar

Sheriff Tiraspol

Maccabi Haifa

Olympiacos

Pyunik

CFR Cluj

Dudelange

Tirana

AEK Larnaca

Dynamo Kyiv

Fenerbahce

Midtjylland

Partizan

Slovacko

Thats the current, live list. No new teams to add. This list will only get smaller as teams get knocked out/progress.One of RFS and HJK will be knocked out shortly same with Ballkani and Zalgiris.

The draw for Round 2 is as follows

Dinamo Zagreb v Shkupi

Qarabag v Zurich

RFS/HJK v Plzen

Maribor/Shakhtyor S v Zrinjski Mostar/Sheriff

You mentioned Ludogorets and Malmo but looking at the above draw you'd back both of them to win in Round Two meaning Shamrock Rovers and the winners of Ballkani/Zalgiris to fall into Europa League.

Quick update to the list.

Ballkani, RFS and Zrinjski Mostar are all gone, no longer possibles for us.

Tobol/Ferencvaros v Slovan B/Dinamo Batumi

Dinamo Zagreb v Shkupi

Qarabag v Zurich

Zalgiris v Malmo/Vikingur

HJK v Plzen

Maribor/Shakhtyor S v Sheriff

The Hogfather

So these teams dropped out of the reckoning tonight (with another few to come tomorrow);

Lech Poznan

Lincoln Red Imps

RFS Riga

Balkani

Zrinjski Mostar

Hibernians

KF Tirana

Sutjeska Niksic

Vikingur Reykjavik

They could possibly qualify for the Conference League groups but based on their likely seeding, it's doubtful we'd be paired up with any of them.

KL Klaksvik likely to go out tomorrow too, they're 3-0 down against Bodo Glimt from the first leg, plenty to play for in every other tie.

davemclaren
On 19/04/2022 at 13:11, Heartsmad1874 said:

1st August for Europa League play off round and Group Stage draw for both is 26th August.

Matchdays are 18/25th August - Europa League play off

And group stage matches

8 September

15 September

6 October

13 October

27 October

3 November

Thought this worth reposting as I had to recheck the draw dates  😎

• davemclaren changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - draws 1/8 and 26/8
FarmerTweedy
On 08/07/2022 at 09:45, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

The assumption from most people would probably be that it was someone up to something pervy, but it was more likely someone on the brink of starving, who had a cow (or maybe a goat), who was going to kill it for food, but who had the idea that maybe its milk could keep them going a while till they got some other food, and then they wouldn't have to kill the thing.

FarmerTweedy
20 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

I'm going to guess that when the draws made on the 2nd, UEFA confirm the fixtures and communicate any potential changes/contingencies the following hours/day after the draw, should some teams be at home at the same time as rivals etc.

Can't see them waiting until 12th August to confirm dates. Harsh on supporters giving 6 days notice of booking flights etc.

The previous round is played on the 4th and 11th.  All they can really do is tell us we're playing the winner of X v Y, and whether we'll be home or away first (even that will almost certainly be subject to possible change).  We'll have to wait until the 2nd legs have been played on the 11th to be sure who we're even playing! If the first leg gives one team a big lead, I'm sure some fans will gamble on that team going on to win, and our tie not getting switched around, and will book travel accordingly, but they'll be taking a risk!

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts