Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts

mickycameron98

Fxxx the SPFL
30 minutes ago, JAYEL said:

We could finish 3rd inEuropa League group and still get the benefit of the Conference League group stage

Win / Win

Nope finish 3rd and you drop into last 32 a two legged affair another two games 

Edited by Fxxx the SPFL

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

• hughesie27

Heartsmad1874
3 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Indeed, 3rd in Europa drops down to the Conference and plays one of the 2nd placed teams from the Conference group stage.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Then we win that and be in last 16. Won't happen though as we intend to be in top two of Europa League group after winning qualifier.

Fxxx the SPFL
14 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Then we win that and be in last 16. Won't happen though as we intend to be in top two of Europa League group after winning qualifier.

👍

2 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I’m just looking at our progress and what gives us the best platform to make the most money to invest in the team next summer as well.

Like it or not that is the Conference. And it’s nothing like saying you’d prefer the Championship.

£420k a win in the Conference or £460k a win in Europa.

The more games we win the stronger we get next season. The chances of us winning games increases quite a bit in the Conference. 

It’s also hardly some tin pot competition either.

Arguably the semis for the Conference this season had better teams than the Europa.

Of course I will want us to win our play off. That doesn’t negate the fact that we are likely to do financially better in the Conference.

That's just not true though. Unless we actually amass enough points to qualify out of our Conference group and get the money for points + qualification (not impossible with a kind draw but probably still unlikely) then the additional TV money from the Europa League makes it a much more lucrative prospect, even if we end up sharing it with Rangers.

Edited by Jamboross

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I’m just looking at our progress and what gives us the best platform to make the most money to invest in the team next summer as well.

Like it or not that is the Conference. And it’s nothing like saying you’d prefer the Championship.

£420k a win in the Conference or £460k a win in Europa.

The more games we win the stronger we get next season. The chances of us winning games increases quite a bit in the Conference. 

It’s also hardly some tin pot competition either.

Arguably the semis for the Conference this season had better teams than the Europa.

Of course I will want us to win our play off. That doesn’t negate the fact that we are likely to do financially better in the Conference.

All fair but anyone wanting us to get beat so we end up in the Europa need to put themselves in the bin. 

4 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Even better then. 👍

Europa League here we come 🇱🇻❤️🇱🇻

Italian Lambretta

Draw for the 1st qualifying round of the conference league tomorrow. Not sure if Motherwell are in tomorrows draw?

1 minute ago, Italian Lambretta said:

Draw for the 1st qualifying round of the conference league tomorrow. Not sure if Motherwell are in tomorrows draw?

motherwell i believe enter at the second qualifying round and dundee united entering at the Q3 round

2 hours ago, Italian Lambretta said:

1st round was drawn today , second round including Motherwell is tomorrow 

Folk that would prefer us in the Conference? Are they mental?

Would you rather we were in Europa League instead of Champions League? 

Heartsmad1874

Draw for the first two Champions League qualifying rounds is now done.

QR2 Champions Path

Tobol/Ferencvaros v Slovan Bratislava/Dinamo Batumi

Dinamo Zagreb v Shkupi/Lincoln Red Imps

Lech Poznan/Qarabag v Zurich

The New Saints/Linfield v Bodo-Glimt/KI Klaksvik

Ballkani/Zalgiris v Malmo/PR Winner

Ludogorets Razgrad/Sutjeska Niksic v Shamrock Rovers/Hibernians

Maribor/Shakhtyor Soligorsk v Zrinjski Mostar/Sheriff

Maccabi Haifa v Olympiacos

Pyunik/CFR Cluj v Dudelange/Tirana

The 10 losers of these games drop down to UEL QR3 Champions Path and the 5 winners from that stage advance to Priority Three and become likely opponents for us

In the Champions League, League Path draw - Fenerbahce v Dynamo Kyiv and Midtjylland v AEK Larnaca.

Two losers from those two games will drop down to UEL QR3 League Path and will be up against either Partizan or Slovacko.

In other news Motherwell will play Bala Town or Sligo Rovers in UECL QR2.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

Motherwell with a winnable tie.  Would they just have one more qualifier to play after that?

Heartsmad1874
2 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Motherwell with a winnable tie.  Would they just have one more qualifier to play after that?

Two, they'd be unseeded in Round 3 as are Dundee United so would be rather difficult to get past that stage without some luck in the draws.

FarmerTweedy
6 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

QR2 Champions Path

The 10 losers of these games drop down to UEL QR3 Champions Path and the 5 winners from that stage advance to Priority Three and become likely opponents for us

In the Champions League, League Path draw - Fenerbahce v Dynamo Kyiv and Midtjylland v AEK Larnaca.

Two losers from those two games will drop down to UEL QR3 League Path and will be up against either Partizan or Slovacko.

Quite a lot of teams on that list that I think would be tough to beat, but I don't think there's many that would be unbeatable. 

6 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

QR2 Champions Path

Can we be drawn against Fenerbahce et al? Or is it only the 20 teams at the top?

Read one Well fan say of draw as their team right now is down to bare bones it could be embarrassing.

7 hours ago, tian447 said:

Two I believe. Third qualifying round and then a play-off round before the groups.

Looking at the play-off round for the conference, there's still a lot of big teams in there. Don't think Motherwell or Dundee United will reach the group stages.

Heartsmad1874
1 hour ago, Dayman said:

Can we be drawn against Fenerbahce et al? Or is it only the 20 teams at the top?

Yes, they'd have to lose against Dynamo Kyiv in Champions League and then win their Europa League qualifier against Partizan or Slovacko, draw for that round is in July at some point. If they do win that they advance to the play off round of Europa and could play us.

Heartsmad1874
19 minutes ago, ModJambo said:

Two I believe. Third qualifying round and then a play-off round before the groups.

Looking at the play-off round for the conference, there's still a lot of big teams in there. Don't think Motherwell or Dundee United will reach the group stages.

Think both will get pumped out in the third round to be honest some half decent seeded sides await them

Heartsmad1874
1 hour ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Quite a lot of teams on that list that I think would be tough to beat, but I don't think there's many that would be unbeatable. 

Agreed however the best team in each game is likely to advance to UCL QR3.

For example Dinamo Zagreb should beat Shkupi or Lincoln Red Imps in Round 2, meaning one of those two drops into Europa QR3. 

Looking at the games and judging the quality of teams i'd say 5 of these 10 could be our potential opponents along with any of AEK Larnaca,Dynamo Kyiv,Fenerbahce,Midtjylland, Partizan and Slovacko.

Slovan Bratislava

Shkupi

Zurich

The New Saints

Zalgiris

Shamrock Rovers

Maribor

Maccabi Haifa

Dudelange

HJK Helsinki

Obviously all just guesswork for now but will all come together when UCL qualifiers start properly first week in July.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

21 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Think both will get pumped out in the third round to be honest some half decent seeded sides await them

Yeah I agree. I think the stage we're at now with Scottish football is good. Having at least 3 teams in the group stages. A far cry from a few years ago. Don't think we'll get above that for a while. Governing bodies of our game need to do better for that to happen.

16 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Agreed however the best team in each game is likely to advance to UCL QR3.

For example Dinamo Zagreb should beat Shkupi or Lincoln Red Imps in Round 2, meaning one of those two drops into Europa QR3. 

Looking at the games and judging the quality of teams i'd say 5 of these 10 could be our potential opponents along with any of AEK Larnaca,Dynamo Kyiv,Fenerbahce,Midtjylland, Partizan and Slovacko.

Slovan Bratislava

Shkupi

Zurich

The New Saints

Zalgiris

Shamrock Rovers

Maribor

Maccabi Haifa

Dudelange

HJK Helsinki

Obviously all just guesswork for now but will all come together when UCL qualifiers start properly first week in July.

Some big teams on that list. 

Wouldn't write us off against any imo.

Rudi5kaceldream1ng

Footballs a funny game. It would be epic if we could go on some type of European run for once. 

I recall we did well and got some famous results back at the start of the century. 

WheatfieldWarrior
12 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

QR2 Champions Path

Good to see the wee team made it after all :P

On 10/06/2022 at 06:32, Jamboross said:

That's just not true though. Unless we actually amass enough points to qualify out of our Conference group and get the money for points + qualification (not impossible with a kind draw but probably still unlikely) then the additional TV money from the Europa League makes it a much more lucrative prospect, even if we end up sharing it with Rangers.

Hoping Rangers get Champs league and we get Europa tv money to ourselves.........!

Heartsmad1874

Alan Burrows (Motherwell CEO) on twitter saying they are trying to get the dates switched so play at home in the second leg. Meanwhile some fans look to have pre booked presuming they'll be playing Sligo away in the second leg🤣🤣🤣

tartofmidlothian
4 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Alan Burrows (Motherwell CEO) on twitter saying they are trying to get the dates switched so play at home in the second leg. Meanwhile some fans look to have pre booked presuming they'll be playing Sligo away in the second leg🤣🤣🤣

Surely they won't just hand over second leg home advantage?

Thought Police
4 hours ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Just seems poorly thought out. They knew their season was starting in mid July.

The Treasurer

Think motherwell are at it here.

They've known the dates of their ties for a while now.

If their pitch is not available for some reason then they need to move the tie to a nearby stadium (Hamilton, Airdrie etc)

Interesting article on the BBC site about fixture lists. Basically due to Hearts playing 8 games on a Thursday and Celtic potentially playing games on a Tuesday (but not knowing the dates) it leave few options of when we can play. Even more complicated as we don't know what competition and thus nights Rangers will be playing on.

Basically I'd put a few pennies of us playing Celtic very early doors.

FarmerTweedy
6 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

Interesting article on the BBC site about fixture lists. Basically due to Hearts playing 8 games on a Thursday and Celtic potentially playing games on a Tuesday (but not knowing the dates) it leave few options of when we can play. Even more complicated as we don't know what competition and thus nights Rangers will be playing on.

Basically I'd put a few pennies of us playing Celtic very early doors.

I think we'll be away to them on the opening day, reverse of this season!

HeartsandonlyHearts

Booked a 2 week trip home for October. So hopefully a big name European tie is on the cards.

HHGH

The Hogfather
On 16/06/2022 at 21:21, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Booked a 2 week trip home for October. So hopefully a big name European tie is on the cards.

HHGH

With the uptake in season tickets, you might find walk ups difficult to come by if we do get a big European side.

Stuck in Aviemore in the pouring rain so decided so be a little geeky.

There has been a lot of chat about how difficult the Europa League group stages would be. Of course it would be more difficult than the conference but would it be an impossible task to qualify?

So using the current draws and UEFA country and team coefficients I did my best to work out who'd progress/drop out from the CL etc. 

Then seeded the teams who got into the group stages and did a draw. The results are as follows.

The Aviemore bored out my nut Europa Leage 22/23

GROUP A

Lazio

Rennes

Midtjylland

Sivasspor

GROUP B

Dynamo Kyvi

Real Sociedad

Union Berlin 

HEARTS

GROUP C

Man U

Feyenoord

Apollon limassol

Diploma

GROUP D

Benfica

Copenhagen 

Nates 

Austria Vienna 

Group E

Braga

Partizan Belgrade

Ferencvacos

Silkenborg 

GROUP F

Roma

Ludogorets 

Real Betis

Trabzonspor

GROUP G

Rangers

Gent

Bodo Glimt

Strum Graz

GROUP H

Arsenal

Malmo

Frieburg

Union Saint Gilloise

So in my opinion inconclusive. We got a hard draw but other groups look a little "easier".  Should be some great trips and nights at Tyne whatever happens.

Hearts beat Shamrock Rovers to qualify BTW. With certain draws in the CL there could be a few very beatable teams we could draw in the qualifying round.

Right I need a beer.

5 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

Stuck in Aviemore in the pouring rain so decided so be a little geeky.

There has been a lot of chat about how difficult the Europa League group stages would be. Of course it would be more difficult than the conference but would it be an impossible task to qualify?

So using the current draws and UEFA country and team coefficients I did my best to work out who'd progress/drop out from the CL etc. 

Then seeded the teams who got into the group stages and did a draw. The results are as follows.

The Aviemore bored out my nut Europa Leage 22/23

GROUP A

Lazio

Rennes

Midtjylland

Sivasspor

GROUP B

Dynamo Kyvi

Real Sociedad

Union Berlin 

HEARTS

GROUP C

Man U

Feyenoord

Apollon limassol

Diploma

GROUP D

Benfica

Copenhagen 

Nates 

Austria Vienna 

Group E

Braga

Partizan Belgrade

Ferencvacos

Silkenborg 

GROUP F

Roma

Ludogorets 

Real Betis

Trabzonspor

GROUP G

Rangers

Gent

Bodo Glimt

Strum Graz

GROUP H

Arsenal

Malmo

Frieburg

Union Saint Gilloise

So in my opinion inconclusive. We got a hard draw but other groups look a little "easier".  Should be some great trips and nights at Tyne whatever happens.

Hearts beat Shamrock Rovers to qualify BTW. With certain draws in the CL there could be a few very beatable teams we could draw in the qualifying round.

Right I need a beer.

We would be getting a doing but some fun trips if that was the case

40 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

Bucket Hats galore for Sociedad away 🥳

Geography lesson then. Real Sociedad play in San Sebastián. a beautiful little town in Northern Spain (the Basque region) its a very classy town with a wealthy mature population and is world renowned for its restaurants and culture. In late autumn it’s climate is a little warmer than here. However It can rain and it can get cold and windy. The local population speak Spanish mainly. Some of the older population speak Basque or both. A relatively small percentage (compared with other parts of Spain) will speak English. They are about as far away from Brits Abroad as it’s possible to get. They won’t welcome or tolerate 3000 football fans getting on the piss for 4 days unless a bit of respect and restraint and dignity is shown. 

The Hogfather
41 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Geography lesson then. Real Sociedad play in San Sebastián. a beautiful little town in Northern Spain (the Basque region) its a very classy town with a wealthy mature population and is world renowned for its restaurants and culture. In late autumn it’s climate is a little warmer than here. However It can rain and it can get cold and windy. The local population speak Spanish mainly. Some of the older population speak Basque or both. A relatively small percentage (compared with other parts of Spain) will speak English. They are about as far away from Brits Abroad as it’s possible to get. They won’t welcome or tolerate 3000 football fans getting on the piss for 4 days unless a bit of respect and restraint and dignity is shown. 

Since Real Sociedad have played their fair share of European football over the years, I don't think they'd be any more/less tolerant of Scottish fans than they would French, Italian or Dutch.

Jambo dans les Pyrenees
1 hour ago, Daveandal said:

GROUP B

Dynamo Kyvi

Real Sociedad

Union Berlin 

HEARTS

We're qualifying from that group

2 hours ago, Queensland Jambo said:

We're qualifying from that group

Point in Poland against Kyvi win at home.

Win at home to Union and a point against Sociedad.

Lose away to both.

8 points.... Heart break and come 3rd.

50 minutes ago, Daveandal said:

Point in Poland against Kyvi win at home.

Win at home to Union and a point against Sociedad.

Lose away to both.

8 points.... Heart break and come 3rd.

and parachute into the Conference League after Christmas for another 2 games!!

Fxxx the SPFL
4 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Sorry JC I think you might be wrong we had two bus loads of jambos stop over in San Sebastion on route to Braga locals were brilliant we kinda took over a local square drinking singing a local student band appeared and some of our lads could speak a little Spanish and managed to get them to play the Hearts song and from memory locals were hanging out their windows enjoying the goings on the local police turned up and very politely asked us stop the singing at 11 a great day/night had by all

2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Sorry JC I think you might be wrong we had two bus loads of jambos stop over in San Sebastion on route to Braga locals were brilliant we kinda took over a local square drinking singing a local student band appeared and some of our lads could speak a little Spanish and managed to get them to play the Hearts song and from memory locals were hanging out their windows enjoying the goings on the local police turned up and very politely asked us stop the singing at 11 a great day/night had by all

Just like I said then. Behave with respect, restraint and dignity and they’ll be fine

Fxxx the SPFL
16 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Just like I said then. Behave with respect, restraint and dignity and they’ll be fine

Mind you 3000 could be a different story 😂 

Respect is the key word.

It's amazing how just listening rather than talking back can open so many doors.

Thankfully Hearts overseas tend to do this...in my experience.

Chuck Berry
6 hours ago, Daveandal said:

Union Saint Gilloise

Pity we can't play them, we beat them in the Fairs Cup in the 1960's and their Parc Duden ground is a cracker, been a couple of times (when they were in the depths of 4th Division). One of Belgiums oldest clubs.

7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

They didn’t seem to mind 50 odd Jambos rattling back and forward to Lidls with carry outs and taking over their beach for 2 days on their way to Braga. 😃

Had a great couple of hrs in a bar of basque Oap’s drinking and dancing. Couldn’t understand a word but lovely welcoming people

Really nice and beautiful place though 👍

3 hours ago, **** the SPFL said:

Just reads your post and forgot we had 2 buses.

Great trip 👍

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts