Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts

mickycameron98

Conference league all the way. More chance of picking up points and financially not that different. Could also qualify for post Christmas games

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

• hughesie27

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Mind I said not in a fantasy world of your own making.

Youd fancy us against Braga PSV Napoli Lazio Frankfurt Leverkusen Lyon Marseille Monaco Betis Sociedad Leicester West Ham Celtic Rangers ?

Thats the current us mind. The us that persistently over many years gets well beaten by 2 of those clubs, not some imaginary Hearts in your head populated by Galactico types.

Honestly man talk sense.

Everyday of the week.

Grow a pair, imagine us wanting us pumped out a tournament so we get easier games, maybe we should just give our European place away and play the lc games.

7 hours ago, Apache Mal said:

I'd rather play all games a Tynecastle than cater for the EPL fan boys.

WTF does that even mean!? All Hearts fans want the games at Tynecastle. If we went anywhere else it would be purely a financial decision and taken out of the fans influence.

FarmerTweedy
6 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

becuase it will probably be worth £1-2 m more to the club 🤷‍♂️😂

It probably won't though!

ArcticJambo

Europa League of course!

I simply don't want to be playing teams like LASK, Bodo/Glimt, Vitesse, Randers, Qarabag... no ffin way! Utterly boring af!

Bungalow Bill
7 minutes ago, tcjambo said:

WTF does that even mean!? All Hearts fans want the games at Tynecastle. If we went anywhere else it would be purely a financial decision and taken out of the fans influence.

Which bit you struggling with?

FarmerTweedy
5 hours ago, Nelly Terraces said:

When/how do we find out what competition we're in? I'll be honest, the whole thing is so ludicrously complicated (thanks UEFA!) I haven't a scoobie what happens with the draws or qualifying for this & that.

Can some kind person inform those of us who are hard of thinking what goes on? Like even when are the various draws etc. That's be great, and very much appreciated.

Cheers!👍

It's really not complicated at all. We start off in a playoff to get into the Europa League. Win that playoff and we're in the Europa League group stage, lose it and we're in the Europa Conference League group stage. 

Playoff round draw is on 2nd August with games on 18th and 25th. Group stage draws are on 26th August. 

42 minutes ago, ArcticJambo said:

Europa League of course!

I simply don't want to be playing teams like LASK, Bodo/Glimt, Vitesse, Randers, Qarabag... no ffin way! Utterly boring af!

I was at Randers FC on the 24th of February - it was great - all Hearts fans would love that trip!

74B5A417-7918-4CBA-8386-02553526D34B.jpeg

BB6674C2-25D4-42CC-B4A1-64B2F93FE136.jpeg

ArcticJambo
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

I was at Randers FC on the 24th of February - it was great - all Hearts fans would love that trip!

74B5A417-7918-4CBA-8386-02553526D34B.jpeg

BB6674C2-25D4-42CC-B4A1-64B2F93FE136.jpeg

Nice one, Mr Fox!  I'll have to concede I'd pretty much enjoy anything that involves a few beers. :thumbsup:

I was more referring to the home matches, but obviously wasn't clear on that point.

2 hours ago, Luckies1874 said:

Reading a fair bit of misinformation on this thread. 

Here are the financial benefits:

Europa League group participation:  £3.2 million

Europa League group win: £475,000

Europa League group draw:  £160,000

Europa Conference group participation:  £2.7 million

Europa Conference group win:  £420,000

Europa Conference group draw:  £140,000

There is also a £250,000 payment to any club who loses the Europa League play off and drops into the Europa Conference League. So what we can say is that we are GUARANTEED nearly £3 million whatever happens. 

So those who are suggesting that Europa League group qualification sees significant more riches are not altogether accurate and indeed from a financial perspective it could easily be argued that we would likely make more in the lesser competition. The prestige and the likely fixtures against some huge clubs would undoubtably suggest the Europa League is best but realistically how many points will we take? Maybe at a real push a win and a couple of draws which would bring in £795,000 in prize money. For 2 wins and 2 draws in the Conference we would get £1,120,000. Of course the club may charge more for tickets should we get a Man Utd, Roma or Real Betis so all the additional finance could also be factored in. 

What we can say for certain is with the guaranteed income from the group stage football (whichever it is) and 4 times 19,000 x £25 gates (approximating ticket cost - which is another £1.9 million) we are definitely making close to £5 million before any prize money for points gained. 

The 'more money in the EL' thing comes from the pooled TV rights which you have not included. EL pool for 21/22 was €139.5M, ECL was €23.5M. We get a tiny percentage of that and could likely make up most of the difference by winning a couple of ECL games but it does make a difference, especially if either Motherwell or Utd make it through qualifiers and we have to share the ECL TV money with them.

Luckies1874
2 minutes ago, Jamboross said:

The 'more money in the EL' thing comes from the pooled TV rights which you have not included. EL pool for 21/22 was €139.5M, ECL was €23.5M. We get a tiny percentage of that and could likely make up most of the difference by winning a couple of ECL games but it does make a difference, especially if either Motherwell or Utd make it through qualifiers and we have to share the ECL TV money with them.

Yep fair enough. I was merely pointing out guaranteed figures and what wins/draws amount too as there seems to be a fair bit of confusion as to what each competition might bring in. A ballpark of £5 million guaranteed from participation and Tynecastle matches seems very reasonable and possibly a little conservative. We will then make more should we win and draw some games. 

Fxxx the SPFL
10 minutes ago, Boab said:

Only Kickback could turn a potentially fantastic adventure next season into an argument !

😂

That’s why we’re all arseholes 

59 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Could we maybe have a special section of the Wheatfield for all the shitebags on here who don't fancy the EL? Section 'C' seems appropriate.

When one of the many Brazil '70-esque teams in the EL pull our pants down at Tynie and give us a good spanking, perhaps they can unveil a We told you so banner. However, they'd probably be too embarrassed to even turn up to the matches, knowing full well the results in advance. 

Or maybe we could just have a sensible debate about something we’re ultimately not in control of anyway and weigh up the pros and cons of both options instead of flinging shite at folk with a different view.

2 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Europa League of course!

Is that a joke? Because it’s a stupid thing to say otherwise.

You’d think we qualify for Europe every year. I’d say no tie we could get would be boring. 

WheatfieldWarrior

Europa League for me - would love to get some ties against clubs like Man U, Lazio etc..

We could have ended up at the Nou Camp if we were in it this year.

1 hour ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Europa League for me - would love to get some ties against clubs like Man U, Lazio etc..

We could have ended up at the Nou Camp if we were in it this year.

Rome is a good trip - all Hearts fans would love it! I was at the Olympic Stadium in the Curva Nord just over 3 weeks ago!

BD97BDBD-6D50-41E3-B45A-2D3EAA4569DD.jpeg

3EBF2A03-9660-4D14-A936-8105A0488E7F.jpeg

WheatfieldWarrior
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Fox said:

Rome is a good trip - all Hearts fans would love it! I was at the Olympic Stadium in the Curva Nord just over 3 weeks ago!

Yep, and with both the Rome clubs in the EL this year there twice the chance of a trip there.

Other possible destinations include(if we win the playoff game):

London

Manchester

Seville

San Sebastian

Berlin

Freiburg

Nantes

Rennes

Braga

Rotterdam

Then of course there is a trip to Budapest to pickup the trophy :)

2022–23 UEFA Europa League - Wikipedia

ArcticJambo
18 hours ago, DB-14 said:

Is that a joke? Because it’s a stupid thing to say otherwise.

You’d think we qualify for Europe every year. I’d say no tie we could get would be boring. 

Nope! 

WheatfieldWarrior
On 23/05/2022 at 15:17, jonesy said:

Thing is, there's no guarantee either way. We could pull out a few shock results in the EL or get scudded by Maltese pastizzi munchers in the Conference. Always best to aim as high as possible.

So long as we don't get scudded 7-0 by Malmo, everything is rosey.

17 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

Yep, and with both the Rome clubs in the EL this year there twice the chance of a trip there.

Other possible destinations include(if we win the playoff game):

London

Manchester

Seville

San Sebastian

Berlin

Freiburg

Nantes

Rennes

Braga

Rotterdam

Then of course there is a trip to Budapest to pickup the trophy :)

2022–23 UEFA Europa League - Wikipedia

San Sebastian would be a unreal trip, hoping for a Scandinavian team too.

Fxxx the SPFL
40 minutes ago, Jambo92 said:

Yep we stopped off there on our way to Braga brilliant 

periodictabledancer
20 hours ago, Jambo-Fox said:

That top is cool as. I agree on Rome, been four times for rugby and it's a great city. My daughter went to Roma v Lazio a few years ago. Said she'd never seen/heard anything like it. 

periodictabledancer
2 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

The post on here about guys drinking Superbock and collapsing on the beach is one of the funniest things I've ever read on here. 

FarmerTweedy
On 23/05/2022 at 11:35, tartofmidlothian said:

After the weekend's disappointment, getting excited about our European adventure is a great way to get over it. Depending on the draw we might have a shot at the Europa groups, which means some famous games against huge clubs, but there's no way we're getting out of them, even into the ECL. We'd be doing well to get past most of last year's 4th place sides in a head to head - Brondby, Sturm Graz, Ferencvaros, Lokomotiv Moscow and the rest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Europa_League#Group_stage

Then look at the 21/22 Conference League groups. Only a handful of clubs to fear and a bunch of top two qualifying teams I'd fancy our chances against - LASK, Bodo/Glimt, Vitesse, Randers, Qarabag...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League#Group_stage

Whoever we play we'll get huge support, but which would we prefer - playing on the biggest stages or having a real shot at staying in Europe after Christmas?

I get the argument that the Conference League could be better for us as we'd have a better chance of winning some games, picking up a bit more prize money, and maybe making it through the group stage and into the knockouts, but I wonder if, next season at least, it would maybe be better not to actually make it through to the knockouts. Firstly, I think we'd almost certainly be facing an exit at the first knockout hurdle, and secondly, it's going to be a very demanding season for the squad, and securing third in the league (and putting together a good Scottish Cup run) might prove significantly tougher than in the season just finished. So, in the same way some are arguing that we're just not ready for the Europa League yet, and would be better learning to walk in the Conference League next season rather than trying to run in the Europa League, I wonder if in fact, we'd be better off not progressing from the group stage whichever competition we're in, so that we can fully focus on domestic competition after the world cup break, giving us a better chance to make sure we're in the group stages again the following season! 

The Hogfather
2 hours ago, willie wallace said:

I am in Amsterdam for the first leg.

Desperately hoping we away from home for that one.

We are. Apparently seeded teams are at home for the second leg.

16 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

Is that accurate change? Last year it was done alternating, Priorty 1 drawn first for tie 1, then in tie 2, the Priority 1 was drawn as away team etc.

It's quite exciting who we could potentially get in the groups, I must admit though some of the teams in Europa league next season are far more luxurious than those of the conference league, would love us to get a trip to the emirates or old trafford, having said that we would have a better chance of progression in the conference league.

Edited by gregzy2k7

broxburnjambo

Not a difficult concept, any supporter of any team wants their team to win every game they play!! You don't go to games wanting to get beat.

It appears some of our own think differently.

I never want Hearts to lose, no matter who we are playing or what competition we are playing in. 

Hypothetical point and a scenario to think about. We draw a European giant in the qualifying round (lets just says it Barcelona and I know it wont happen). We take thousands to the Camp Nau and Hearts score a winner in the last minute. Some fans are saying they wouldn't celebrate because we "may" get more money if we lose. 

Strange thinking!!

Edited by broxburnjambo

hughesie27

EL for me. Would remember any glamour ties forever compared to the few 100k we would earn by winning a few ECL ties.

Heartsmad1874
10 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

First team drawn is at home regardless of seeds.

glynnlondon

People pishing their pants at the thought of playing the big boys same arsehole mentality after that snoozefest of a cup final.

FarmerTweedy
11 hours ago, Nunya Business said:

There are no seeded teams in the Europa League playoff round draw.

FarmerTweedy
10 hours ago, Jambo92 said:

Is that accurate change? Last year it was done alternating, Priorty 1 drawn first for tie 1, then in tie 2, the Priority 1 was drawn as away team etc.

It's not true at all!

Just looked at teams that are definitely in Q3, the round before us.

Partizan Belgrade and Slovan Bratislava.

I reckon over two legs we could beat both those sides.

Very tricky places to travel to none the less.

PapaShango

EL for me as well, would love to see us playing some of the top teams in Europe and getting a good draw and trip away from home. Does anyone have a list of potential teams we can play in the play off? Apologies if already posted I've not trawled through the thread. 

14 minutes ago, ModJambo said:

Just looked at teams that are definitely in Q3, the round before us.

Partizan Belgrade and Slovan Bratislava.

I reckon over two legs we could beat both those sides.

Very tricky places to travel to none the less.

I watched quite a lot of Slovan as I lived in Bratislava for a while. We would pump them.

It’s a great city and a beautiful stadium so that would be a dream.

The Hogfather
4 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

There are no seeded teams in the Europa League playoff round draw.

This is incorrect.

38 minutes ago, glynnlondon said:

People pishing their pants at the thought of playing the big boys same arsehole mentality after that snoozefest of a cup final.

You’re right we should just ask to be removed from Europe and we can spend the time we would have spent going abroad to think about how we’re shite.

tartofmidlothian
13 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

EL for me as well, would love to see us playing some of the top teams in Europe and getting a good draw and trip away from home. Does anyone have a list of potential teams we can play in the play off? Apologies if already posted I've not trawled through the thread. 

Any one of about fifty teams taking part in the three rounds of CL qualifying if they drop down to the EC, although depending on seeding some of them (like Rangers) will go straight into the EC group stages if they get knocked out of the CL. Then there's a complicated priority system which I can't get my head around, which stops us meeting certain other teams depending how they qualified.

The three CL qualifying rounds take place between early July and early August, it'll become clearer as they progress and we'll all be refreshing this thread to find out.

Edited by tartofmidlothian

FarmerTweedy
9 hours ago, jonesy said:

Sorry man, just like the folk who are saying that the Conf League would be better than EL for us, you're now basically saying you'd rather we didn't win many Conf League games?

What is this nonsense? 

I'm not really saying that, I want us to win every game and therefore go one step further than sevco did! 

I'm just saying that in theory, if you compared two scenarios, one where we scrape into the knockout stages but get knocked out in the first round (as I think would probably happen) but the demands of having that tie in our schedule result in us getting knocked out of the Scottish Cup early and struggling in a few league games around that time, causing us to miss out on 3rd and group stage European football next season; and a second scenario where we don't quite get through the group stage, but without another European tie after Christmas we don't get knocked out of the Scottish Cup early and do better in the league, finishing third again, getting group stage European football again, and maybe bagging a Scottish Cup win at the end of the season; the second scenario would clearly be the better one for us!

Of course, we can't know how things will actually unfold in the 2nd half of the season while we're playing the group stage, so it would be daft to hope we don't get through the group stage because of a hypothetical scenario where that could end up better for us.

My point (probably not very clearly made) was actually to illustrate that the argument that we'd be better off losing in the playoff round because there's a hypothetical scenario that we could end up making more money and going a little further playing in the lesser competition, isn't really a great argument! 

FarmerTweedy
17 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

This is incorrect.

Edit: Ok, technically it could be argued as a form of seeding, but it's not based on ranking the strengths of the club's in any way, so it's not like any conventional form of seeding, it would be be better described as categorisation, as it's based purely on the route of qualification for the playoff round and nothing else.

Anyway, whatever you want to call it, it doesn't determine the order of home and away ties. In last season's draw, two of the priority 1 pot of teams were at home first and away second, and the other four were away first and home second.

Edited by FarmerTweedy

Who says we will get spanked.  We went to bordeaux, braga and Prague in recent times and got results.  We are very defeatist at times.  I go to every game thinking we can win or else what's the point going

Fxxx the SPFL
41 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

I'm hoping for a decent trip away anyway! Hopefully somewhere in Spain, France or Germany. 

Yep they will do don’t want a Turkish team most of their fans are mental if they keep backing Russia we could get them booted out of Europe 

PapaShango
1 minute ago, **** the SPFL said:

Yep they will do don’t want a Turkish team most of their fans are mental if they keep backing Russia we could get them booted out of Europe 

Hopefully with a few group games we can pick and choose a decent trip! I've done a few Hearts away games in Europe and they are always great experiences. Anfield and Bordeaux will stay in the memory a very long time. 

Heartsmad1874

Happy to be in whichever competition to be honest. Preferably Europa as we'll mixing it with some very very good teams. Still some good teams in the Conference but not quite as glamourous. It could be worse we could be awaiting todays Premier Sports group stage draw.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, PapaShango said:

Hopefully with a few group games we can pick and choose a decent trip! I've done a few Hearts away games in Europe and they are always great experiences. Anfield and Bordeaux will stay in the memory a very long time. 

did them with wife brilliant trips along with Braga, Bosnia and Bologna keep our fingers crossed for some decent places

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts