Peter Haring signs new contract (merged threads)

Diadora Van Basten

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• wavydavy

• Watt-Zeefuik

• jr ewing

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah

And if Haring doesn't play much because we've improved the squad then a 3rd year is the same waste of money as before. 

Can’t see us improving to the extent there is no role for him though. 
Maybe squad player or on rotation but we’re not getting Kante in anytime soon. 

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

What a depressingly sad statement to have to make (no slight on you at all Tommy) and an indictment on the state of the game in this country. 

Obviously I want to win the ****er.

3rd is a minimum is really my meaning.

We are miles behind. 4 points out of 24 against the uglies. Never really close to taking any more than that.

3rds will help build foundations over the rest. Muppets and sheep can the cry about depressing state at aiming for 4th. 👍

Hackney Hearts
2 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

4 points out of 24 against the uglies. Never really close to taking any more than that.

Well, missing a second half penalty to equalise against Celtic cost us a point. And the Celtic goal in the 0-1 away defeat was offside. I actually thought we competed well and deserved more in the 0-2 at home to Rangers. Pre-split it was only the Ibrox 0-5 where we ended up capitulating. The post-split matches I'm not convinced we were 100% committed.

4 points is a poor return though, clearly. Hopefully we can improve on that next season.

Seymour M Hersh
4 hours ago, bobskeldon said:

…and most other countries in Europe!

Name me another country where it has been thirty-seven years since anyone outside of two clubs have won the top division?

FarmerTweedy
4 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Obviously I want to win the ****er.

3rd is a minimum is really my meaning.

We are miles behind. 4 points out of 24 against the uglies. Never really close to taking any more than that.

3rds will help build foundations over the rest. Muppets and sheep can the cry about depressing state at aiming for 4th. 👍

Well, as long as you ignore the game we only lost to a clearly offside goal, and the game we missed a penalty to equalise in the second half! Ignore those games where we were close to taking more, and we were never really close to taking any more!

Rick Sanchez
31 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

Levitt or Haring?

Never seen Levitt for a full 90 other than our games. He's scored a few bangers and has been praised by most pundits.

Decent sell on potential. Heard anything?

bobskeldon
1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Name me another country where it has been thirty-seven years since anyone outside of two clubs have won the top division?

The point I was trying to make is that in all European countries it is ‘generally’ the biggest and wealthiest teams who win the league year after year e.g. how many teams outside the biggest/wealthiest two teams have won the league in successive seasons in Spain, Germany, England, France, Portugal etc There will always be a Lille or a Leicester for one season when the big guys get complacent and absolutely everything falls for someone else. Playing the OF for 24 points a season doesn’t help.

1 hour ago, R1874 said:

Both

Correct answer. People not grasping we need to add to our squad, not replace it

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, bobskeldon said:

The point I was trying to make is that in all European countries it is ‘generally’ the biggest and wealthiest teams who win the league year after year e.g. how many teams outside the biggest/wealthiest two teams have won the league in successive seasons in Spain, Germany, England, France, Portugal etc There will always be a Lille or a Leicester for one season when the big guys get complacent and absolutely everything falls for someone else. Playing the OF for 24 points a season doesn’t help.

I got your point but that doesn't detract from how shambolic our league is. Oh and except for Scotland. 

Just now, bobskeldon said:

Until we change this format we are ****ed 

3 hours ago, andi17 said:

Sorry don't agree    we can't win in Perth   f all to do with the old firm 

davemclaren
8 hours ago, Sherbet said:

You don’t have to win every match to win the league, generally. 

TyphoonJambo
12 hours ago, andi17 said:

And that is highly unlikely to happen.

Bunny Munro
10 hours ago, Sherbet said:

It's a bit of both IMO.

We lost 15 points to the teams that finished 12th, 11th, and 10th this year.

18 minutes ago, Bunny Munro said:

It's a bit of both IMO.

We lost 15 points to the teams that finished 12th, 11th, and 10th this year.

Sad fact but until we stop losing so many points to teams in these positions then we will never improve on 3rd.

japanjambo

We have to beat teams, outwith the uglies, regularly home and away. That is what we did in 97/98 and we weren't that far away from winning the league. 

Unknown user
3 hours ago, davemclaren said:

You don’t have to win every match to win the league, generally. 

This is true, but guaranteed dropped points at home to Killie and away to St Johnstone really add up

davemclaren
13 minutes ago, Smithee said:

This is true, but guaranteed dropped points at home to Killie and away to St Johnstone really add up

I doubt they are guaranteed. 

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

These sort of games cost The Rangers the title. 

Nothings guaranteed the points still have to be earned. 

Maple Leaf
23 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

And it could be another 37 years the way things stand.

It doesn't happen in any sport in North America because there's a salary cap, something that is not a consideration in Scotland.

If the issue isn’t money, purely the 3rd year then ****ing right give him it. Players need a bit of security, and he brings continuity etc. I’m really pleased that we’re not being soft touches with contract negotiations, but Haring is a player we should want to keep. An extra year isn’t going to make or break us. Plus if he regresses we can loan him out to Livi or something. 

Bazzas right boot
23 hours ago, TheBigO said:

Levitt, Rogic, Johnstone, Wilshiere, forest all in. 

Goodbye , Haring, GMS, Gino. 

😎

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, Smithee said:

Dundee results at home were particularly depressing. 

27 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Dundee results at home were particularly depressing. 

No worries next season 👌 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

No worries next season 👌 

😂😂

True. 

Watt-Zeefuik
4 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

And it could be another 37 years the way things stand.

It doesn't happen in any sport in North America because there's a salary cap, something that is not a consideration in Scotland.

North American sports also don't have promotion and relegation, so teams can tank for a few years, possibly getting better draft position depending on the sport, go on a spending bonanza and get a title, then go back to tanking. The Florida Marlins are probably the most notorious for doing this but certainly not the only ones.

Better revenue sharing would be a good first step, and yes I realize this would inherently mean Hearts subsidizing lower teams right along with the OF, and I'm okay with that.

On 28/05/2022 at 15:29, Seymour M Hersh said:

Dinamo Zagreb have won 23 titles Since 1992.

On 28/05/2022 at 17:48, TheBigO said:

I think you are wrong here. Most people realise we need to add to the squad we have but remember it is a depleted squad now that the loanees are gone and to date we don't know if any of them will return.

In Haring's case the ball is in his court. The club have made him an offer which he still seems to be mulling over.

Current Squad

Gordon

Stewart

Smith

Halkett

Sibbick

Atkinson

Kingsley

Halliday

Beningime

McKay

Ginelly

GMS

Devlin

Boyce

McEneff

Add to that a few younger players such as Henderson, Pollock and Smith and it still only brings up our numbers to 18.

If we are being brutally honest then there are four players in the current squad who we could upgrade on.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

I think you are wrong here. Most people realise we need to add to the squad we have but remember it is a depleted squad now that the loanees are gone and to date we don't know if any of them will return.

In Haring's case the ball is in his court. The club have made him an offer which he still seems to be mulling over.

Current Squad

Gordon

Stewart

Smith

Halkett

Sibbick

Atkinson

Kingsley

Halliday

Beningime

McKay

Ginelly

GMS

Devlin

Boyce

McEneff

Add to that a few younger players such as Henderson, Pollock and Smith and it still only brings up our numbers to 18.

If we are being brutally honest then there are four players in the current squad who we could upgrade on.

Not sure I'm understanding you right mate, but I think you're agreeing with me (by mistake?!haha)

I'm saying our squad is too tight to ship people out and what we need to be doing is simply bring in more quality.  We need to replace the guys who have left (incl the loanees) plus add another 3 or 4 for squad size.  Each of these 8/9 players should be aimed at being directly better than we have/had.

This means guys who were in our first XI may be on the bench (or have left I guess), and guys who were on the bench but played a lot (Halliday, GMS) drop down that wee bit further.  Fact is if guys who played every week, or got mins most weeks now struggle to do so, we're in rude health.

BUUUT, we still need GMS, Gino and the likes.  That level of quality in the depths of your 24 is amazing for a club our size at this moment.

Then next season when guys like that move on, we replace them with better again and guys who played this season have a job to keep their place, and we keep improving....

I simply wouldn't be looking to actively move anyone on.  Of course if Haring or indeed GMS, Gino feel strongly they want to be elsewhere where they're auto first picks or whatever, I wouldn't stand in their way, but I just don't think we want to bring in more than the 8/9 players which we truly need.

1 hour ago, TheBigO said:

Not sure I'm understanding you right mate, but I think you're agreeing with me (by mistake?!haha)

I'm saying our squad is too tight to ship people out and what we need to be doing is simply bring in more quality.  We need to replace the guys who have left (incl the loanees) plus add another 3 or 4 for squad size.  Each of these 8/9 players should be aimed at being directly better than we have/had.

This means guys who were in our first XI may be on the bench (or have left I guess), and guys who were on the bench but played a lot (Halliday, GMS) drop down that wee bit further.  Fact is if guys who played every week, or got mins most weeks now struggle to do so, we're in rude health.

BUUUT, we still need GMS, Gino and the likes.  That level of quality in the depths of your 24 is amazing for a club our size at this moment.

Then next season when guys like that move on, we replace them with better again and guys who played this season have a job to keep their place, and we keep improving....

I simply wouldn't be looking to actively move anyone on.  Of course if Haring or indeed GMS, Gino feel strongly they want to be elsewhere where they're auto first picks or whatever, I wouldn't stand in their way, but I just don't think we want to bring in more than the 8/9 players which we truly need.

I get what you are saying and as you said I misunderstood your initial point. So we do agree on most points other than the bit I have highlighted.

I think we can upgrade on these but the problem is that they still have time on their contracts and sometiems better the devil you know.

But in an ideal world I would like us to move them on and bring in better.

On 29/05/2022 at 14:54, OTT said:

If the issue isn’t money, purely the 3rd year then ****ing right give him it. Players need a bit of security, and he brings continuity etc. I’m really pleased that we’re not being soft touches with contract negotiations, but Haring is a player we should want to keep. An extra year isn’t going to make or break us. Plus if he regresses we can loan him out to Livi or something. 

They may be having reservations re the 3rd year on account of his injury history and (if not already done) the answer might be 2 years with an option for both parties to extend for a 3rd year.

On 29/05/2022 at 11:53, davemclaren said:

I doubt they are guaranteed. 

And add Ross Co to that.

If the issue is 2 vs 3 years, i can get it from a Hearts point of view (and Pete's).

I love the big guy.  Need to say that and I want him with us next season.

But I think we have plans to really take our squad up a few notches and I think we'll be thinking in 3 seasons time, we simply don't need him.

I can see why we'd want him next season, definitely and we need continuity, especially of guys with character like him, but in 3 years time, I would agree we'd hope to perhaps have surpassed what he's likely to bring us at that stage and, pains me to say about Pete, he becomes an empty wage at that point.

Won't gnash my teeth if the big chap gets 3 years, but you'd think that's thinking eh

Remember how Craig Gordon announced his contact extension on his Birthday....

Happy Birthday Big Peter Haring, you know what to do. 

PapaShango
On 31/05/2022 at 11:40, TheBigO said:

If the issue is 2 vs 3 years, i can get it from a Hearts point of view (and Pete's).

But I think we have plans to really take our squad up a few notches and I think we'll be thinking in 3 seasons time, we simply don't need him.

I can see why we'd want him next season, definitely and we need continuity, especially of guys with character like him, but in 3 years time, I would agree we'd hope to perhaps have surpassed what he's likely to bring us at that stage and, pains me to say about Pete, he becomes an empty wage at that point.

Won't gnash my teeth if the big chap gets 3 years, but you'd think that's thinking eh

Agreed. I think he's been very decent but the hope is that we improve year on year with the squad and take us up another level. I also like him and see what he brings to the side but he isn't irreplaceable if he were to head to pastures new. I think it's looking less likely he will stay to be honest. 

FarmerTweedy
On 31/05/2022 at 12:40, TheBigO said:

That's exactly how I see it. I do think if we build the squad as we hope to over the next year or two, he'd be struggling to get a game in that third season. I understand why he'd want the third year, and also why the club would only want two with the option of a third. I wonder if a suitable compromise would be to add a compensation payment of around a couple of months' money if we don't take up the third year option?  That would ensure we're not having to pay him a full year's wages if we don't want to keep him, but he's not facing as much of a financial hit in the third year if we don't take up the option and he ends up getting a lower paying deal elsewhere. 

jamboinglasgow

I do think he is off, no inside knowledge, just that its feels too late for him to sign if he was going to. 

11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I do think he is off, no inside knowledge, just that its feels too late for him to sign if he was going to. 

Sadly, I agree. I think if he was going to sign it would have already happened  

jamboinglasgow
4 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Would have withdrawn the contract by now and told him thanks for his services. Time to move on!

If he has still not told Hearts his answer, the only thing I could see is that he has a few offers on the table, and Hearts are a back up offer if another more attractive one falls through.

Unknown user
On 29/05/2022 at 17:35, jr ewing said:

No worries next season 👌 

Superb, no more stupid home points dropped to Dundee!

:HeartsMandance:

09A26Ef.gif

1 hour ago, jamboinglasgow said:

You are probably correct although he could be holding on to see what if any interest there is out there and see if there is anyone out there who might be prepared to offer him a better or lomger term deal than we are offering.

We won't want to wait too long though because we have to get the engine room of the team sorted asap ready for pre-season.

30 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

You are probably correct although he could be holding on to see what if any interest there is out there and see if there is anyone out there who might be prepared to offer him a better or lomger term deal than we are offering.

We won't want to wait too long though because we have to get the engine room of the team sorted asap ready for pre-season.

Maybe waiting to see other offers. We would all do the same. 

• davemclaren changed the title to Peter Haring signs new contract (merged threads)