Peter Haring signs new contract (merged threads)

Diadora Van Basten

Has been different class last few months and adds real quality in midfield. 

On the ball, Devlin and Halliday can never match him. His reading of the game and ability in the air is also so important 

Will be a big miss. Especially with Beni out and already losing Souttar. Really don’t think people appreciate that

Hope he stays and it’s not just wage issue. I know Robbie prefered Beni/Devlin but i’d like to think things have now changed. He will play next year, especially with the extra games in Europe 

Maybe he just wants home as well 

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• wavydavy

• Watt-Zeefuik

• Unknown user

heartsfc_fan

Good luck to him.

He's been through it all:

Assuming he plays next weekend this will be his 3rd Scottish cup final with us.

He's got us to Europe but he's also been with us when we got "relegated".

He's played in the Scottish championship aswell.

Mental.

Clerry Jambo
15 minutes ago, been here before said:

He's alright but Im sure we could get better.

Totally agree. Big Pete has a great attitude but need a more dynamic player in the middle 

jamboinglasgow
6 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

He’s someone I’d like to keep but he’s not someone I’d miss, if that makes sense. 

Yeah I am the same. I would not have thought we would have got a CM like Beni before he signed but we got quality, I think it will be hard search but I do think we can get a better player. But Haring has been class for us and is a quality player.

But as for the OP. I am also in the camp of "if he was going to sign he would have done it by now." We have guaranteed European football, so all the benefits with staying for us are there already. The only way he could stay is if any better offer he has falls through.

Dick Dastardly

It's crazy when you think he was playing in the Austrian 2nd division. He has been superb for us and really should have been playing at a better level before he came to the club. I hope he stays but i think it would have been announced by now.

Bit of a odd one he's decent but not great can't see him going to a team guaranteed European footy till November next season - maybe he's moving home for family reasons

Boyces beard

If Haring does leave and we replace him with a player of the same calibre we will be doing extremely well. He has been back to his best recently and on current form would be a starter even if everyone was fit imo. Always makes him self available to take the ball and his awareness of where opposition players are allows him to find space and time on the ball in tight situations. He would be a massive loss and i would love Hearts to tie him down for another couple of years.

I want him to stay too. Fair enough if money is the issue, but if it’s contract length, just give him it. It’s worth it. 

43 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Probably a family issue if he goes.  Can't argue with that.

What makes you think that, Doog?

Haven’t read the thread but surely it’s obvious he’s away?

Strange one. One of our best midfielders but also our slowest, which probably just shows we still don’t have midfield sorted. 

The Gorgie

He's a class act. Be surprised if he goes onto anything bigger than us tho. Cup finals, Europe, decent crowds.

48 minutes ago, gashauskis9 said:

No really.  McCulloch was embracing everyone. 

Exactly. If we are basing this on hugs with McCulloch, we're going to need a whole new team.

37 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

It's crazy when you think he was playing in the Austrian 2nd division. He has been superb for us and really should have been playing at a better level before he came to the club. I hope he stays but i think it would have been announced by now.

I’m sure the Austrian second division is a higher standard than the Scottish second division where he has played more recently! Hope he stays though

FarmerTweedy
54 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Good luck to him.

He's been through it all:

Assuming he plays next weekend this will be his 3rd Scottish cup final with us.

He's got us to Europe but he's also been with us when we got "relegated".

He's played in the Scottish championship aswell.

Mental.

If he'd been fit to play that season, we probably wouldn't have been bottom of the table when the covid shutdown happened, even (or maybe especially) if he'd only been fit to play in goal!

Chillidigits

Our good but lightweight midfield got bullied a couple of times at Aberdeen and 'Well if I recall. It wouldn't have if big Pete had been involved. Handy guy to have. Hope he stays

gashauskis9

We’ve really lucked out with big Pete.  You don’t get players like him every year on our budget.  A guy with the ability to control the tempo and make it look they’re slowing the game down to a snails pace.  He makes it look effortless.  Beni’s great of course, but he’s not got the passing range or patience of Haring.  

He’s the type of player they love on the continent and I suspect that’s why he’s holding out until the last minute.  That and the fact that he probably wants to play in a league where he won’t be kicked off the park every week.

Can’t help but think he’d have signed by now if he was staying, hope I’m wrong !

31 minutes ago, Morgan said:

What makes you think that, Doog?

Just think that football wise he'd be pretty happy with us.  Just surmising that it's a possible reason.

I really hope hr stays but don't think looking likely at this late stage.

1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

Just think that football wise he'd be pretty happy with us.  Just surmising that it's a possible reason.

I really hope hr stays but don't think looking likely at this late stage.

Why do you not think it’s looking likely, Doog?

3 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Why do you not think it’s looking likely, Doog?

Stop being such a wazzock, he’s only stating his opinion as fact, which tends to happen on such message boards.

1 minute ago, smiler said:

You missed a grammatical error there, not like you.

There’s been that many tonight...

:lol: 

1 hour ago, R1874 said:

Has been different class last few months and adds real quality in midfield. 

On the ball, Devlin and Halliday can never match him. His reading of the game and ability in the air is also so important 

Will be a big miss. Especially with Beni out and already losing Souttar. Really don’t think people appreciate that

Hope he stays and it’s not just wage issue. I know Robbie prefered Beni/Devlin but i’d like to think things have now changed. He will play next year, especially with the extra games in Europe 

Maybe he just wants home as well 

Spot on.

1 minute ago, smiler said:

Stop being such a wazzock, he’s only stating his opinion as fact, which tends to happen on such message boards.

Do you want to hear my opinion?

Luckies1874

It's a interesting one and if he does depart it will be a test of Savage's abilities to find us a Salvatori not a Damour. For me Haring sits plum in the middle of these two extremes in terms of his success and contribution. An excellent professional, solid, reliable, consistent performer but not someone irreplaceable. Said it on a thread the other day, its nigh impossible to know sometimes when signing Scottish talent, doing well at other clubs, if they are going to be the next McCann / Cameron or the next Wyness / Wighton. And it's often the same with the foreigners. Haring has been good to Hearts and we've been good to him, regardless of the outcome it was a nice moment him getting the goal at Tynie today. 

Edited by Luckies1874

Think Haring wanted the  last big contract

Hearts maybe worried about an injury

Love Haring and be great to see him stay but iff not all the best to a great servant 

Weren’t many folk left in the ground but Haring stayed last at edge of tunnel. Even after Cammy came in. Looking round the ground. I think that’s him off. 
lots and factors with him : -

1.  Game time. Wants confidence he will play games. With Beni looking like his leg will never be straight again today and Europe, there’s a fair chance but can’t be sure. 
2.  Think he did mention going home. 
3.  Finances. Yes deal on table but that was put on table before he went on his better run. Maybe is a fringe player rate. 
4.  Term of deal. He maybe wants a longer term deal to secure him financially.  
5. What alternatives on table?  Closer to home, longer term deal, higher wages, promises of gametime? 

I don’t think he will get a club with better games elsewhere but warming the bench on a one year average deal might not make that the most important consideration. 

Whatever he decides, I’m glad I got to watch him play for Hearts. 

Watt-Zeefuik

We recently announced players that had re-signed and players that were leaving at the ends of their contracts. Pete was in neither category.

It's been widely reported he feels the tug of being closer to home. I'm sure the tug of European football after being on some dire squads will be strong.

I expect he's got an offer in front of him and we'll hear nothing about it until after the cup final because he'll want to focus on that and not be distracted.

He had some rank rotten games for us in the winter but has really been outstanding the last few months. I do hope he comes back, but I do think he's a sub whenever Beni and Cammy are healthy.

I honestly think he is underrated by many. I think he knows that when Beni and Cammy are fit he will not play. For me he possesses a physicality neither of the other two have. He has  ariel abilty that neither of the other two do and he can pick a pass better than both Beni and Devlin. If we had not had him to cover for Beni and Devlin's absences we may not be in third or a cup final because we do not have anyone else who comes close. Sibbick is not a central midfielder and neither is Halliday. There have been times when our midfield has been bullied, particularly, against Aberdeen and Motherwell and to an extent Ross County. No player is irreplaceable but some players are harder to replace than others. Guys like Ronan and Forrest are good players but neither are particularly big physically. I think we should be trying our best to keep Peter Haring. Maybe, he just wants to go home but I suspect he will also be considering being second choice when others are fit.

32 minutes ago, hisnameis said:

I honestly think he is underrated by many. I think he knows that when Beni and Cammy are fit he will not play. For me he possesses a physicality neither of the other two have. He has  ariel abilty that neither of the other two do and he can pick a pass better than both Beni and Devlin. If we had not had him to cover for Beni and Devlin's absences we may not be in third or a cup final because we do not have anyone else who comes close. Sibbick is not a central midfielder and neither is Halliday. There have been times when our midfield has been bullied, particularly, against Aberdeen and Motherwell and to an extent Ross County. No player is irreplaceable but some players are harder to replace than others. Guys like Ronan and Forrest are good players but neither are particularly big physically. I think we should be trying our best to keep Peter Haring. Maybe, he just wants to go home but I suspect he will also be considering being second choice when others are fit.

Nailed it 

On 15/05/2022 at 10:00, Sid said:

Weren’t many folk left in the ground but Haring stayed last at edge of tunnel. Even after Cammy came in. Looking round the ground. I think that’s him off. 

1.  Game time. Wants confidence he will play games. With Beni looking like his leg will never be straight again today and Europe, there’s a fair chance but can’t be sure. 
3.  Finances. Yes deal on table but that was put on table before he went on his better run. Maybe is a fringe player rate. 
5. What alternatives on table?  Closer to home, longer term deal, higher wages, promises of gametime? 

I don’t think he will get a club with better games elsewhere but warming the bench on a one year average deal might not make that the most important consideration. 

What's happening with Beni.......?

RustyRightPeg
10 hours ago, Cynic said:

Where exactly? 

He signed Beni last summer at the snap of his fingers, he’s better IMO. 

Leave it with Savage, the club will continue to progress.

joondalupjambo
6 hours ago, Sid said:

IMHO it is all about his age and he needs one last, really good contract and then he can relax and I think he may have one lined up nearer home or down south.  I really rate him, hope he stays but think he is right to try and look after himself.  As long as he does not go anywhere else in Scotland that is fine.

hearts attack

We are very lucky to have Peter Haring in our team. He is back to his best and really cares about the club. He will be very difficult to replace if and when he goes. I hope he will stay for at least another couple of years.

4 hours ago, Section Q said:

What's happening with Beni.......?

Don’t know but his leg looked terrible. All bandy and limping badly.  

4 minutes ago, Sid said:

Don’t know but his leg looked terrible. All bandy and limping badly.  

First time out without crutches so probably still heavily protected and that’s the main cause of the limp 

4 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

First time out without crutches so probably still heavily protected and that’s the main cause of the limp 

Hope that’s progress then but looked a very long way off. More need for trying to keep Haring. 

Diadora Van Basten

Unsung hero in the last month or so the thought of going back to a Damour type isn’t worth thinking about.

• davemclaren changed the title to Peter Haring signs new contract (merged threads)