*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

32 minutes ago, briever said:

The wage structure has to change - otherwise we will be signing nobody better than who we have at the mo.  And we clearly need some better players, we dont currently have a squad who could cope with Europe.

No it doesn't.

58% of total turnover. If / when the turnover goes up........

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

1 minute ago, iainmac said:

No it doesn't.

It does and I am sure its already being adjusted - we need to sign higher quality players or 10 games in Europe will be an embarrassment. 

Just now, indianajones said:

Steven Davis. 

:rofl:

Folk no learnt their lessons with the like of Aaron Hughes?

That is it for me too we have moved from a transfer policy that relied guys in the twilight of their careers to young hungry players and look at the difference it has made to our form why would we want to go back

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, iainmac said:

No it doesn't.

given we’ve finished 3rd and have significantly increased prize money, will net minimum of £4m from Europe, May net a few million for Hickey, will have netted £1m plus from cup final and have had a first full season utilising our faculties id say increased turnover is a safe bet.

if we want to improve, if we want to ensure we finish 3rd again and secure that income again.

now is the time to push on, a controlled wage increase in line with our additional income should be on tbe table

3 minutes ago, briever said:

It does and I am sure its already being adjusted - we need to sign higher quality players or 10 games in Europe will be an embarrassment. 

We got a draw at Anfield with high quality players like Darren Barr, Medhi Taouil, John Sutton and Dale Carrick. The only team that was embarrassing for was Liverpool.

I'm not sure what the wage structure is now or then but we will, rightly, not be chucking cash about left, right and centre just to lose by a few less goals in Europe. Cementing 3rd place and regular group stage football will be the priorty with our transfers, once we've done that we can start looking at strengthening the squad enough to expect to be more competitive in Europe.

13 minutes ago, briever said:

Souttar
Moore
Cochrane
Simms
Haring?
Smith?
GMS?

Souttar, Woodburn, Simms, Moore, Cochrane, Stewart 

Just now, Jamboross said:

We got a draw at Anfield with high quality players like Darren Barr, Medhi Taouil, John Sutton and Dale Carrick. The only team that was embarrassing for was Liverpool.

I'm not sure what the wage structure is now or then but we will, rightly, not be chucking cash about left, right and centre just to lose by a few less goals in Europe. Cementing 3rd place and regular group stage football will be the priorty with our transfers, once we've done that we can start looking at strengthening the squad enough to expect to be more competitive in Europe.

Suggesting our wage structure is going to change isn't saying its chucking money about.  Not really sure the the relevance of a game in 2012 is.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Are they both not wanting to head to their respective homelands ?

Rogic has said no to going back home, or said it was very unlikely. 

1 hour ago, LivingstonJambo99 said:

Atkinson has a lot of improving to do defensively however he was hung out to dry on Saturday playing against rangers 2 best players (Kent and bassey) on his own 

Both full backs were shown up as being limited defensively on Saturday.  Positioning  all wrong at times.  That’s the challenge with wing backs - expected to be great in attack and in defence.  Tough shift. 

Dick Dastardly
1 hour ago, Barack said:

We're not getting reasoned thought on here. 

Hearts earn £5million...folk want that spent on transfers. It won't be. It shouldn't be.  Wage structure won't be broken either. Nor should it. 

5 players of similar ability to Beni & Simms on freedom of contract or loans...folk should be happy with that. They won't. 

And we'll have screaming threads started about why has Neilson squandered the money.

But...see what transpires, I suppose, in the fullness of time.

Totally agree. People seem to think that we will be signing 10 or 11 players. I doubt this very much. I tink 4 or 5 players will come in and i dont think any contracted players will leave. The rest of the squad will be filled out with our own young lads. 

Bazzas right boot
55 minutes ago, Italian Lambretta said:

There more likely to be at loggerheads when savage suggests we should be more progressive next season and Bob wants to stick with the tried and tested boring defensive pish.

That's just your wet dream. 

It ain't happening 

4 minutes ago, briever said:

Suggesting our wage structure is going to change isn't saying its chucking money about.  Not really sure the the relevance of a game in 2012 is.

The relevance is you suggested our 10 games in Europe will be an embarrassment, but we've already shown we can get results with a significantly weaker (and cheaper) squad than we have now. 

Our wage structure will be relevant to what we can afford. I doubt what is potentially only a one off season in Europe will see any significant changes to that, we'll be looking it as a nice windfall but not budgeting for it to be repeated. If we sustain it over a few seasons maybe that can change. The club has ****ed itself at least twice already by spending more than we could afford on wages, we won't do it again. 

I reckon Steven Davis could do a very good job for a year. Keep him for Europe and big games. 

Edited by McCrae

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Barack said:

Hearts earn £5million...folk want that spent on transfers. It won't be. It shouldn't be.  Wage structure won't be broken either. Nor should it. 

5 players of similar ability to Beni & Simms on freedom of contract or loans...folk should be happy with that. They won't. 

And we'll have screaming threads started about why has Neilson squandered the money.

It's good to speculate as long as folk don't go mental when/ if we do sign lesser players. 

The transfer thread tends to be taken a bit too serious by many. 

Likley Hood is apart from the likes of Forest and Shankland we will sign players who most have never heard of. 

I'm not holding out hope for a midfield trio of Wilshiere, Jack and Rogic next season with McKay on one wing and Johnstone on another. 

2 of them are out of contract tho and earning nothing from next week so why not speculate! 

Pinch if salt n' all that!

57 minutes ago, briever said:

The wage structure has to change - otherwise we will be signing nobody better than who we have at the mo.  And we clearly need some better players, we dont currently have a squad who could cope with Europe.

I don't imagine we'll see big changes to the wage structure.  The additional income we will get next season could be gone the season after.   I think we'd be more likely to pay money for players within our current wage structure than to increase the top wage.

We do need some better players, but we don't need anyone who is better than McKay, Kingsley, Beni, Devlin, Halkett, Souttar, Gordon, or Boyce.  All of whom are currently within our wage structure.

tartofmidlothian
34 minutes ago, briever said:

Souttar
Moore
Cochrane
Simms
Haring?
Smith?
GMS?

We're definitely losing Souttar, Woodburn and Moore. Apparently we're trying to keep Simms and Cochrane somehow. Smith signed a new contract, didn't he? Haring would be a miss, GMS wouldn't.

7 hours ago, Jurek said:

What about Jamie McGrath as a creative midfielder? He doesn't seem to have been getting a game with Wigan following his move from St Mirren in January.

Would take. 

Rick Sanchez
17 minutes ago, McCrae said:

I reckon Steven Davis could do a very good job for a year. Keep him for Europe and big games. 

I'd rather attract someone with more longevity and sell on with that carrot.

tartofmidlothian
8 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

It's good to speculate as long as folk don't go mental when/ if we do sign lesser players. 

The transfer thread tends to be taken a bit too serious by many. 

Likley Hood is apart from the likes of Forest and Shankland we will sign players who most have never heard of. 

I'm not holding out hope for a midfield trio of Wilshiere, Jack and Rogic next season with McKay on one wing and Johnstone on another. 

2 of them are out of contract tho and earning nothing from next week so why not speculate! 

Pinch if salt n' all that!

I agree some folk lose it when they get a look at the list of free agents, but we've made marquee signings around Rogic's level in the past few years. Gordon, Berra, Naismith, Lafferty, Tziolis, plenty more. Definitely a lot less likely players we could speculate about.

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I'd rather attract someone with more longevity and sell on with that carrot.

we need to sign 10 players minimum. 

I hope that we sign the best CH (Souter will be a huge miss and Sibbick so far a lot too improve upon) CM CF that compliment our style aspirations and these 3 should be better than what we have. An upgrade. They should along with Craig Gordon all be first choices every week and that will push our budget above current levels to get that jump in quality.

Then 2 good squad players that are all better than our bench, are possible/probable starters one level down from our primary 3 targets above, Forrest/Shankland in that category..

Two loan players for key positions and balance of the squad and say 3 promotions from the academy Pollock, Henderson and Other.

That gives us around 10 players in.

To balance squad size and finances 4 or 5 below need to move on.

Out

Taylor Moore

Woodburn

Possible Stay/Go

Simms (Would take as one of our best 3)

Cochrane (Possible 2 year deal)

Haring (Possible 2 year deal)

Contracted but hope to move on but all might end up staying with negligable game time

McEneff

Halliday

GMS

Ginnelly

We should know by around the 215 pages mark!!

10 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

We're definitely losing Souttar, Woodburn and Moore. Apparently we're trying to keep Simms and Cochrane somehow. Smith signed a new contract, didn't he? Haring would be a miss, GMS wouldn't.

Wage wise, we are losing 

Walker 

Brandon 

Popescu 

Souttar 

Moore 

Woodburn 

Cochrane 

Hamilton 

Simms 

Haring

I'd add Stewart to that, so that's 1 1 just to get back to the same level as just now. Were actually looking at 10 - 15. Some may be loan returns or those retained from the list above, huge job.

Edited by ericb

Rick Sanchez
6 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

we need to sign 10 players minimum. 

Agreed.

But I wouldn't sign Davis and save him for big games and Europe.

BackOfTheNet
2 hours ago, Barack said:

Definitely have noticed this. There might be a slight adjustment (like average wage of £3k pw going up to £3.5k pw or something but there won’t be monumental changes to that. Which is why I’m cautious about any deal for Shankland if we have to pay anywhere close to the £500k they’re asking.

But there are definitely deals to be had within our price range in the global markets with great quality. It’s understandable posters can only talk about players they know (as opposed to who they don’t), but some seriously talking about players on £10-£15k pw at least even thinking about signing for us is quite ridiculous. Not sure if it’s a lack of awareness of our wage structure/what they’d be on, or as you say some folk just thinking we’ll be throwing cash at players.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

1 hour ago, indianajones said:

Steven Davis. 

:rofl:

Folk no learnt their lessons with the like of Aaron Hughes?

It’s absolutely nuts. We’ve been told by savage and rn countless times what the signing policy is. The same signing policy that took us from the championship to third and a cup final. 

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Totally agree. People seem to think that we will be signing 10 or 11 players. I doubt this very much. I tink 4 or 5 players will come in and i dont think any contracted players will leave. The rest of the squad will be filled out with our own young lads. 

I would love that to be true but it’s extremely unlikely thar this manager would play any kids in meaningful games, I think he played two this season in the league and didn’t even fill the bench with them when possible. 
Whether any are ready to be played is also a concern. 

Vlad Magic
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

I would love that to be true but it’s extremely unlikely thar this manager would play any kids in meaningful games, I think he played two this season in the league and didn’t even fill the bench with them when possible. 
Whether any are ready to be played is also a concern. 

Managed 3rd and a cup final.

Personally I’m happy with that.

Are you?

We do need experience. I would sign Davis for others to learn from. Need someone who can open the door which neither devlin or Bennie tend to do. 

I would see if rangers want to loan out Lowry. 

56 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

I agree some folk lose it when they get a look at the list of free agents, but we've made marquee signings around Rogic's level in the past few years. Gordon, Berra, Naismith, Lafferty, Tziolis, plenty more. Definitely a lot less likely players we could speculate about.

When have we ever been close to signing one of Celtics best players? This is just utterly bizarre that people are mentioning Rogic, and really highlights the delusion in our support. 

tartofmidlothian
2 minutes ago, karipidis said:

When have we ever been close to signing one of Celtics best players? This is just utterly bizarre that people are mentioning Rogic, and really highlights the delusion in our support. 

Craig Gordon...?

I'm not saying it's likely, just the odd surprise can turn up. If they're letting him go and he's nothing lined up immediately, why wouldn't he consider us? 

1 hour ago, Jamboross said:

The relevance is you suggested our 10 games in Europe will be an embarrassment, but we've already shown we can get results with a significantly weaker (and cheaper) squad than we have now. 

Our wage structure will be relevant to what we can afford. I doubt what is potentially only a one off season in Europe will see any significant changes to that, we'll be looking it as a nice windfall but not budgeting for it to be repeated. If we sustain it over a few seasons maybe that can change. The club has ****ed itself at least twice already by spending more than we could afford on wages, we won't do it again. 

None of that precludes us adjusting our wage structure accordingly.

Folk thinking we are going to sign four and fill the squad up with youngsters clearly haven't been paying attention to Neilson - he doesn't trust youth.

1 hour ago, tartofmidlothian said:

I thought Neilson was keen to retain Woodburn?

1 hour ago, WageThief said:

I don't imagine we'll see big changes to the wage structure.  The additional income we will get next season could be gone the season after.   I think we'd be more likely to pay money for players within our current wage structure than to increase the top wage.

We do need some better players, but we don't need anyone who is better than McKay, Kingsley, Beni, Devlin, Halkett, Souttar, Gordon, or Boyce.  All of whom are currently within our wage structure.

They are within our wage structure because they bought into the plan - that's going to be more difficult when players and agents know we're not broke.

54 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Definitely have noticed this. There might be a slight adjustment (like average wage of £3k pw going up to £3.5k pw or something but there won’t be monumental changes to that. Which is why I’m cautious about any deal for Shankland if we have to pay anywhere close to the £500k they’re asking.

But there are definitely deals to be had within our price range in the global markets with great quality. It’s understandable posters can only talk about players they know (as opposed to who they don’t), but some seriously talking about players on £10-£15k pw at least even thinking about signing for us is quite ridiculous. Not sure if it’s a lack of awareness of our wage structure/what they’d be on, or as you say some folk just thinking we’ll be throwing cash at players.

Shankland isn't remotely worth that cash.

Fixture list isn't going to be kind next season and that's before you factor in the world cup fixture break.  Between September and November will be a constant 2 game a week situation.

Our current squad, sadly don't have the fitness levels to cope.  Kingsley, Boyce, Halkett, Beni have all fitness problems across the season and past seasons.  That's probably why they are at Hearts not higher, but no doubt we will need to recruit players to cope with the demand of games both before and after the WC break.

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Managed 3rd and a cup final.

Personally I’m happy with that.

Are you?

That’s got nothing to do with my post about next season. He won’t play youth players he has to coach. 
He achieved what was expected, could’ve been much better. 
Happy enough but Saturday was quite frankly awful and the new signings need to be starters for us to progress. 

Some half decent players coming towards the end of their contracts at St Johnstone. Would they be coming in to start every game, probably not. However they would be good players to have in the squad. The 4 I would consider would be ;

Zander Clark - we need a huge upgrade on Ross Stewart as number 2. Doubt he would want to be a number 2 for the two seasons though. Would be a long term replacement for Craig Gordon.

Shaun Rooney

Jamie McCart  

Callum Hendry

spirt of 98
3 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

Some half decent players coming towards the end of their contracts at St Johnstone. Would they be coming in to start every game, probably not. However they would be good players to have in the squad. The 4 I would consider would be ;

Zander Clark - we need a huge upgrade on Ross Stewart as number 2. Doubt he would want to be a number 2 for the two seasons though. Would be a long term replacement for Craig Gordon.

Shaun Rooney

Jamie McCart  

Callum Hendry

Zander could be promised a Rangers scenario where he plays all Scottish Cup and League cup matches. Might temp him. 

Luckies1874
4 minutes ago, Barack said:

Be the end of that then.

Bugger.

Maybe but I very much doubt that Simms actually knows what his future holds at this point. And it doesn't mean Hearts aren't or won't be speaking to Everton in due course. Go to think a Championship club might be his likely destination but he seems positive about his experience at Hearts and might be quite happy to get the opportunity of some European football and more games in a league he knows he can make an impact and score some goals in.

1 minute ago, spirt of 98 said:

Zander could be promised a Rangers scenario where he plays all Scottish Cup and League cup matches. Might temp him. 

Not a bad idea.

He might also gamble on the Craig not lasting 2yrs - it's going to be a big ask for Craig to go the 2.  Fingers crossed he does.

Spend a bit money on RCB to replace Souttar, LWB to replace Cochrane, CM to replace Haring, upgrade at AM and CF to replace Simms. 

Then, replace Moore (Joe Wright), McEneff (Connor Ronan), Woodburn (Alan Forrest) add another WB, & another CF. Maybe a sprinkling of a few more squad players. 

Next summer, big money needs to be spend on a Gordon replacement.

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

given we’ve finished 3rd and have significantly increased prize money, will net minimum of £4m from Europe, May net a few million for Hickey, will have netted £1m plus from cup final and have had a first full season utilising our faculties id say increased turnover is a safe bet.

if we want to improve, if we want to ensure we finish 3rd again and secure that income again.

now is the time to push on, a controlled wage increase in line with our additional income should be on tbe table

That's my point. It will be due to the increase in turnover.

1 minute ago, Luckies1874 said:

Maybe but I very much doubt that Simms actually knows what his future holds at this point. And it doesn't mean Hearts aren't or won't be speaking to Everton in due course. Go to think a Championship club might be his likely destination but he seems positive about his experience at Hearts and might be quite happy to get the opportunity of some European football and more games in a league he knows he can make an impact and score some goals in.

I think it would be worth our while to increase the % of Simms wage that we pick up - he clearly enjoys his time here and we have 10 Euro games coming up, he isn't gonna get that at some championship side.

2 hours ago, briever said:

It will be adjusted as it's 58% of a higher number ergo bigger wage pot.

1 minute ago, iainmac said:

That's my point. It will be due to the increase in turnover.

We could maybe introduce side letters.  Oh, wait....😀

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***