*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Mr Rabbit said:

It is bizarre as theoretically we could sign Kante, it doesn’t mean it will happen nor is it likely to happen.

The viewpoint of the ‘grass is always greener’ from a lot of football fans is juvenile and narrow minded.

We’ve had multiple examples in the past that even with an increased budget for players and wages it’s not as simple as going out and getting ‘better players’.

A club like ours needs to invest wisely and having a proven spine of strong players is always going to be a sound investment. No one has ever said we shouldn’t be striving for better but you do that by adding to the squad instead of replacing known qualities within your team. 

If you believe what you posted in your reply why write other posts saying one liners like ‘Haring is replaceable’ without the context. All it is doing is trolling.

Read the post. 

It's not trolling. 

I'm not repeating the posts again, my opinion on him is clear as is the ability for Hearts to sign better players, which we clearly can and imo will in the future. 

Feel free to disagree but my posts on this  are pretty clear unless you want to look for an argument by cherry picking sentences and ignoring the rest so that context is lost. 

At no point have I  said I wanted him gone, said he wasn't a good player or that keeping him wasn't good for the team or squad. I simply disagree that he's not the un-upgradable or the  ireplaceable player  that some others have stated. 

I think he is replaceable. 

If he stays-great, if he goes we can get better. 

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Of course, but there are players that could who we can get in for free like the aforementioned Kamara did at Dundee (or eventually £50k to Rangers) or Djoum who we got for free who can play really well in this league.

No one is saying get rid of Haring (especially me, I want him on a 3 year deal), but whether it’s him being injured, sold or leaving of his own volition at the end of his contract it would be a big blow, but not an insurmountable task to replace him. 

Yip. 

100%

Vlad Magic

I’d just like to add the following.

Many clubs would be envious of our position right now with regard to our transfer budget and our ability to bring in better than currently here.

Not many clubs have this luxury.

6 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Better teams are able to pass round his headless chicken nature. It isn’t a criticism, rather an observation but he will have to develop a positional sense to go with all his energy and determination to take his game to the next level. 

My take would be that we have a better organised press with Beni and Cammy together. 

Pete is great, but doing the legwork in a two man midfield ain’t his thing. 

My guess is we’ve not had a huge amount of time training with Pete and Cammy on the press. 

I would expect him to look better with a pre-season to work with his teammates on pressing as a unit and collectively cutting off passing lanes. 

Then his energy will be even more valuable. 

9 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Many clubs would be envious of our position right now with regard to our transfer budget and our ability to bring in better than currently here.

:greatpost:

thegreatsd
15 minutes ago, Vlad Magic said:

Absolutely sir. Add to that our superb recruitment team and it’s clear to see more good times are ahead👍

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Our academy players just aren’t good enough, to be honest. They have been loaned out to lower leagues and played decent. But not the best level.

And Woodburn is?

BackOfTheNet
1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

And Woodburn is?

He is better than our academy players, yes. I know some on here like to overreact, but we don’t have any real bad players in our side. We have players that have maybe disappointed us, but Stewart aside, all players have contributed to our successful season. Woodburn included. I’m not so sure the kids out on loan that look like a strong wind would blow them over would have.

Beni is a year older than Woodburn, but plays with much more confidence. If we can get a player of Beni's quality, why can't we try and do that again. Have a look at the players being released from EPL sides and see if we can make a case for them to come here instead of dropping down the leagues. I think we can get a player of a similar age to Woodburn who could impose themselves onto the team. Why not go for Dylan Levitt ?

More goals, Utd are fighting like **** to try and keep him, talking about building a team around him etc. seems a safer bet than trying to turn Woodburn into a player - We've been there with Mulraney and Wighton. They might not be the same type of player, but I don't see how Woodburn fits in to how we want to play, he's been worse than anonymous when played in a 343 and I'm not sure he's done enough to put any pressure at all on Boyce. 

Nookie Bear
2 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

There is a whole world outside of the British isles where other strikers play….

And I’m sure you can provide a lengthy list of them, of which none of them are guaranteed to have anything like the impact Simms has had. 

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

And I’m sure you can provide a lengthy list of them, of which none of them are guaranteed to have anything like the impact Simms has had. 

With all due respect, that isn’t his job is it…

Its Savage’s job and I can bet my bottom dollar he’ll sign a player who will have an impact from abroad that you’ve never heard of. 

2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

hes in the top 10 of our midfielders in the last 30 years.   So regardless of where he came from, how much he cost or the fact that banigimie Is arguably better. He won’t be easy to replace. 

Players like Peter Haring are not easily found.  Otherwise the league would be full of them.  It takes great scouting and a bit of luck.  A beni would cost someone £3/4m to take of our hands

Felt like a really bold statement until I thought about it carefully. 

Have we really only had around 12 good midfielders in the last 30 years prior to this season?

Rudi

Hartley

Cameron

Bruno

Fulton
Salvatore

Benni

Mackay 

Black

Kingston (when he tried)

Severin

Brellier 

karapidis (after conversion into a midfielder) 

Must be missing somebody?

im assuming JC, Miko, Valois, McCann are wingers or forwards. 

I love how the lack of a good striker since Robbo makes Simms look like lewendowski to some posters on here…

Do you do not think may be people just know a good player when they see one : - D

I love how the lack of a good striker since Robbo makes Simms look like lewendowski to some posters on here…

Fuller, MDV, Bednar, Jankauskis, Velicka, Kyle…

2 minutes ago, CMc said:

Fuller, MDV, Bednar, Jankauskis, Velicka, Kyle…

Any one that can not see Simms is really good striker probably did not think they were either

42 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Too close to Mayfield for comfort

Arf. Both are too close to Nitten for me 🤣

August Landmesser
7 minutes ago, CMc said:

Have we really only had around 12 good midfielders in the last 30 years prior to this season?

Rudi

Hartley

Cameron

Bruno

Fulton
Salvatore

Benni

Mackay 

Black

Kingston (when he tried)

Severin

Brellier 

Pallardo, Djoum, Gomis, Buaben

Unknown user
11 minutes ago, CMc said:

Rudi

Hartley

Cameron

Bruno

Fulton
Salvatore

Benni

Mackay 

Black

Kingston (when he tried)

Severin

Brellier 

Djoum

Agentjambo
4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Any one that can not see Simms is really good striker probably did not think they were either

Is a strike rate of approximately 1 in 3 good enough for the next level?

5 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Pallardo, Djoum, Gomis, Buaben

Yeah, Djoum  should be there despite the haters. 

Gomis and Bauben definitely did a job for a while. 

Was pallardo any good outside the championship?

Edited by CMc

2 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

I try so hard not to be condescending to people on forums so it is probably best we just leave this one here : - )

2 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

This includes sub appearances and when he was first bedding into the team though, right?

0.5 xG is about where we need to be and he’s on an accelerating trend.

30 minutes ago, CMc said:

Rudi

Hartley

Cameron

Bruno

Fulton
Salvatore

Benni

Mackay 

Black

Kingston (when he tried)

Severin

Brellier 

I reckon Stevenson is on a par with some of them

kingantti1874
36 minutes ago, CMc said:

Rudi

Hartley

Cameron

Bruno

Fulton
Salvatore

Benni

Mackay 

Black

Kingston (when he tried)

Severin

Brellier 

thats about right. The only “similar” players to Haring are salvatori, karapidis, brellier, seve, black, beni, mackay and maybe djoum.

pete would be 4th on that list after Salvatori, Brellier and beni. Better than the rest of them - “maybe” karipidis in spells 

The other players on the list would be different positions for me.  Playing alongside one of the above.

he isn’t easy to replace. Not a ****ing chance. 

Edited by kingantti1874

john thomas
2 hours ago, Sooks said:

I am a big fan of Devlin and I think he brings something to the team that no other player does but he needs to refine it and improve other parts of his game ........................... I do not even think he and Beni are too similar like some supporters like to say i do not really see it at all but all three bring some thing different to the team and what Haring brings the other two do not

Yet many on here keep comparing them !

We are constantly trying to improving the squad .

If Haring signs brilliant for the squad . If we sign another , comparable , midfielder who happens to be better then we have an even stronger squad

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

He is better than our academy players, yes. I know some on here like to overreact, but we don’t have any real bad players in our side. We have players that have maybe disappointed us, but Stewart aside, all players have contributed to our successful season. Woodburn included. I’m not so sure the kids out on loan that look like a strong wind would blow them over would have.

Right, so if people don't agree with you they are overreacting.  I'm starting to learn.

FWIW Woodburn has played a maximum of maybe 2 decent (but well short of brilliant) games.  It's hard to say he played badly in the rest because he has been posted missing in action, or should I say, inaction,.

Not even you can say how any youth would have acquitted himself as no one was given the chance.

For me to change my mind Woodie would have to score a hat trick tomorrow. 

38 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Yet many on here keep comparing them !

We are constantly trying to improving the squad .

If Haring signs brilliant for the squad . If we sign another , comparable , midfielder who happens to be better then we have an even stronger squad

I think Beni is a far more cultured player and a better passer than Devlin as I said a couple of times all ready though I do really like Devlin

Heartsofgold
2 hours ago, Vlad Magic said:

STOP TALKING SENSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackOfTheNet
16 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Right, so if people don't agree with you they are overreacting.  I'm starting to learn.

FWIW Woodburn has played a maximum of maybe 2 decent (but well short of brilliant) games.  It's hard to say he played badly in the rest because he has been posted missing in action, or should I say, inaction,.

Not even you can say how any youth would have acquitted himself as no one was given the chance.

For me to change my mind Woodie would have to score a hat trick tomorrow. 

I couldn’t give a rats what you think of Woodburn and how he has played. My post said that we haven’t seen the best of Woodburn, Simms or Cochrane as they’re all young. And they will all most likely be better players in 5 years than they are now, hence why we haven’t seen the best of them yet. I can’t see into the future, but it’s common knowledge that the majority of players are better all round players at 28 than they were at 23, or better at 26 than they were at 21. That was my reasoning. If you want to write off a 23 year old and claim he’s played the best football of his career already, then go ahead. Still doesn’t make my point invalid.

3 hours ago, sirwalter said:

In my opinion Haring, Devlin and Benni are all very different players with varying skill-sets each of whom has made a significant contribution to Hearts' successes this season. I hope to be watching them all extend those contributions into next season and beyond. In the shorter term the estimable Peter has a hugely important role to play tomorrow.

Yep. All three are excellent and offer different things. 

Really hope the debate doesn’t polarise too much ‘cos painting oneself into a corner through arguments on the internet then venting in real life seems all the rage these days. 

Edited by CMc
Typo

35 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I couldn’t give a rats what you think of Woodburn and how he has played. My post said that we haven’t seen the best of Woodburn, Simms or Cochrane as they’re all young. And they will all most likely be better players in 5 years than they are now, hence why we haven’t seen the best of them yet. I can’t see into the future, but it’s common knowledge that the majority of players are better all round players at 28 than they were at 23, or better at 26 than they were at 21. That was my reasoning. If you want to write off a 23 year old and claim he’s played the best football of his career already, then go ahead. Still doesn’t make my point invalid.

And I certainly couldn't give a rats what you think either.

I am not writing anyone off.  Where did I say that?

I am saying that up to now he shown little or no benefit to HMFC.

Whatever crap stats you bring in about players developing at 21, 23 or 25, the same applies to our youths as it does to Woodburn and yes, you can't see into the future.

We can't afford to wait 5 years for a player on loan for the season.

Edited by JamboAl

BackOfTheNet
10 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

And I certainly couldn't give a rats what you think either.

I am not writing anyone off.  Where did I say that?

I am saying that up to now he shown little or no benefit to HMFC.

Whatever crap stats you bring in about players developing at 21, 23 or 25, the same applies to our youths as it does to Woodburn and yes, you can't see into the future.

We can't afford to wait 5 years for a player on loan for the season.

Did I say anything (anything at all now) about keeping Woodburn? Go on, show me where I did. I said that he’s been disappointing but not as bad as some like to make out. That’s not saying we should keep him. I said (this is the third time I’m putting it in plain English for you) that we haven’t seen the best of Woodburn, Simms or Cochrane because they’re young players. I’m not saying they will be at Hearts in 5 years time, I’m saying - wherever they end up - they will all, inevitably, be better players in the future than they are right now.

Just to hammer home now… this isn’t about Woodburn staying, or whether or not he should stay (that’s a completely separate debate that others are actually currently having if you want to boldly wade into one of those chats and quote someone on the topic). This has stemmed from me posting a completely logical innocuous statement that young players tend to be better when they reach the peak ages of a footballers career and you coming in, again, looking for an argument where there is none.

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Ewan Henderson is a better player than Ben Woodburn

He really isn't.

46 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Did I say anything (anything at all now) about keeping Woodburn? Go on, show me where I did. I said that he’s been disappointing but not as bad as some like to make out. That’s not saying we should keep him. I said (this is the third time I’m putting it in plain English for you) that we haven’t seen the best of Woodburn, Simms or Cochrane because they’re young players. I’m not saying they will be at Hearts in 5 years time, I’m saying - wherever they end up - they will all, inevitably, be better players in the future than they are right now.

Just to hammer home now… this isn’t about Woodburn staying, or whether or not he should stay (that’s a completely separate debate that others are actually currently having if you want to boldly wade into one of those chats and quote someone on the topic). This has stemmed from me posting a completely logical innocuous statement that young players tend to be better when they reach the peak ages of a footballers career and you coming in, again, looking for an argument where there is none.

Don’t know if this is readable without a subscription: Peak player ages

Edit, it doesn’t. Worth a few quid a month imo. 

see image 

77948079-72CC-447D-9D89-2F230C1B8EC2.jpeg

Edited by CMc

BackOfTheNet
3 minutes ago, CMc said:

Don’t know if this is readable without a subscription: Peak player ages

Needs a subscription. Shouldn’t imagine any of them would peak at 21-23 though?

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Needs a subscription. Shouldn’t imagine any of them would peak at 21-23 though?

Yep. Was hard to test!

have added the key graphic. 

2 minutes ago, CMc said:

A792931D-F6E6-48D7-9BC1-3066C8082EC1.jpeg

9657906C-8196-4F17-BE80-BC1F36EF2CB5.jpeg

Christ that’s depressing, do they get a free bus pass when they hit 30?

BackOfTheNet
7 minutes ago, CMc said:

Yep. Was hard to test!

have added the key graphic. 

Cheers. Interesting stuff. Probably about right when you think about all the players over the years. Will always be exceptions to the rule of course. But certainly not going to argue if anyone claims someone hasn’t likely peaked by ages 21-23. :wink:

13 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Cheers. Interesting stuff. Probably about right when you think about all the players over the years. Will always be exceptions to the rule of course. But certainly not going to argue if anyone claims someone hasn’t likely peaked by ages 21-23. :wink:

Yup. Look at Everton over the years. Baines and Coleman buck the trend significantly. As does Ibra. These are exceptions not the rule though. 

very few peak at 21-23 (career altering injuries aside). 

kingantti1874
2 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

not sure but the one thing I will say is he definitely needs an opportunity to prove it next season. 

1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Correct but completely logical excrement.

You produce stats for players generally peaking in 5 years time and we only have him on loan for this season.  Totally irrelevant nonsense.

What I'm saying is he has been a disappointment THIS SEASON and I couldn't care less about your stats at various ages for any player not at our club.

Batistuta87

Maybe stick to the cooking, Ains

BackOfTheNet
31 minutes ago, CMc said:

Yup. Look at Everton over the years. Baines and Coleman buck the trend significantly. As does Ibra. These are exceptions not the rule though. 

very few peak at 21-23 (career altering injuries aside). 

Definitely the case. Cheers for getting what I was saying rather than completely missing the point like someone else has. :thumbs_up:

Leveins Battalion

Lay off the Meow Meow.

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***