*** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***

dazajmbo

1 minute ago, jambopilms said:

Shankland is the one I want to see get done, we are really short of options up top

I'm the same, I have a feeling he will be good for us if he signs, just think it makes sense on so many levels. I think it will happen, just be dealing with thrashing out a transfer fee with them and the terms of that. These things often take a bit of time. I would imagine the player is keen to come to us. 

• Replies 39.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

Tom Hardy’s Dug

I’m now at the stage of not wanting to **** about too much with Shankland as I want him now and don’t want anyone else in the SPL getting him…

scott herbertson
6 minutes ago, Homme said:

If he doesn't want to play behind McGregor or McLaughlin he isn't going to want to warm the bench under Craig.

He seems to be in search of immediate first team games. Can't blame him at 24. He's a good keeper.

I don't know. If the deal was a long deal (4 years?) he gets the cup games, and Craig steps aside at season end, maybe that would be enough. We wil need to offer something like that to get decent back up unless we go for someone like Jamie McDonald IMO

3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

I’m now at the stage of not wanting to **** about too much with Shankland as I want him now and don’t want anyone else in the SPL getting him…

I'll be amazed if Robbie hasn't had some talks with him and he has agreed to sign once the fee has been agreed. Don't think anyone else in the league is going to pay the money for him. 

1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

I don't know. If the deal was a long deal (4 years?) he gets the cup games, and Craig steps aside at season end, maybe that would be enough. We wil need to offer something like that to get decent back up unless we go for someone like Jamie McDonald IMO

If Craig plays the next season like the previous one then there is no way he's going to step aside. He could easily play at the top level for another couple of seasons. 

With money hearts wasted on 4 year deals for duds like Damour who higher earners I feel club could loosen purse strings and be fee of near 500k on shankland given surely know what getting.

Obvs clubs should try and drive best possible deal but feel should get it done one way or another for him.

Unless have some grand plan with other options. That's key question when comes to will we pay fee or not for shankland - what is alternative?

kingantti1874
13 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Shankland is the one I want to see get done, we are really short of options up top

yep definitely.  And we need another on top of Shankland. 

we definately need numbers 

11 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

Yeah clearly looking for game time and no chance he's getting it next season at us with Gordon there. 

Well like a said in my previous post - he could be loaned to livi whilst also training with Craig a couple of days a week. What we need is a long term replacement so to have him training with Craig whilst also playing first team games in the Premiership is perfect. Stewart is fine to warm the bench week to week and if Craig ever gets injured  we can recall him.

8 minutes ago, Arfur said:

Well like a said in my previous post - he could be loaned to livi whilst also training with Craig a couple of days a week. What we need is a long term replacement so to have him training with Craig whilst also playing first team games in the Premiership is perfect. Stewart is fine to warm the bench week to week and if Craig ever gets injured  we can recall him.

You can’t recall players from loan unless it’s in a window or an emergency loan.

No one on the coaching team and no one in the media has ever hinted that we’re looking for a back up keeper. Truth is we already have one that the coaching team might be perfectly happy to run with.

Edited by JimmyCant

Tom Hardy’s Dug
27 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I agree, he'd be the one to go for but I don't think we can sell it to him. He's not going to be 1st choice here anytime soon. McCrorie will be looking to make a name for himself, i can see Dundee Utd going for him. 

Aberdeen?

scott herbertson
5 minutes ago, PapaShango said:

If Craig plays the next season like the previous one then there is no way he's going to step aside. He could easily play at the top level for another couple of seasons. 

Don't get me wrong I 'd love that to be the case but we don't know what CG is thinking - maybe he only wants another year. If we are saying to any decent keeper 'your not getting a guaranteed game for two years' then I doubt we'll be signing anyone better than Stewart.

Saint Jambo
2 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Don't get me wrong I 'd love that to be the case but we don't know what CG is thinking - maybe he only wants another year. If we are saying to any decent keeper 'your not getting a guaranteed game for two years' then I doubt we'll be signing anyone better than Stewart.

We might find ourselves a journeyman keeper better than Stewart. Or we might feel that if Gordon gets injured, that would be a chance for Stone to come in and prove himself. It is a risk running without a more reliable backup, but at the same time if Gordon stays fit again this season it would be money we could have spent elsewhere. It may be that is a risk Neilson and Savage are willing to take.

Personally I think Stewart is an awful keeper. The shots on target to goals ratio in the games he has played is truly horrific.

Fxxx the SPFL

We have far more money than we ever expected if we lose out on Shankland because we're quibbling about a couple of hundred thousand in the big scheme of things now. One Europa home tie will generate circa £400k ticket sales and hospitality. Are we a big club or not.

davemclaren
2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

We have far more money than we ever expected if we lose out on Shankland because we're quibbling about a couple of hundred thousand in the big scheme of things now. One Europa home tie will generate circa £400k ticket sales and hospitality. Are we a big club or not.

It doesn’t mean that we should pay more than we believe a player is worth imo. 

Dick Dastardly
50 minutes ago, Arfur said:

I think Shankland, Grant and Cochrane in this week would be fantastic business.

As for a goalkeeper I read today the following from the bbc “Goalkeeper Robby McCrorie, 24, won't extend his Rangers contract, which has a year left to run, and is set to leave this summer in search of first-team football. (Glasgow Times)” - i think this would be a great signing for a long term replacement for Craig, already pushing into the Scotland squad, coming into a good age for a keeper. We could even loan him back to Livi with a stipulation that he trains at Riccarton with Craig a couple of days a week

I thought Man Utd were after him? No chance of competing with their wages

Tom Hardy’s Dug
7 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

One win will generate over £400k prize money in both comps. 

It does put things in perspective a bit even though it is a bit speculative. 

But are we more likely to win a European game with Simms/Shankland as our main strikers or Boyce.

No offence to Boyce…

If we win just two home games the Conference will pay out £840k and the Europa will cough up £920k.

What wins games?

Edited by Tom Hardy’s Dug

3 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Do it once (pay over the odds) and agents and clubs will be all over you like a rash for the rest of the summer. Wish Want Walk is what we should be applying

We WISH we could get him for a nominal fee with small add ons

We WANT to get him if possible for £250k

We WALk if the price is more than £400k

Beershit paid far too much for him. That’s not our fault and we shouldn’t be helping them correct it

Thought Police
2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Do it once (pay over the odds) and agents and clubs will be all over you like a rash for the rest of the summer. Wish Want Walk is what we should be applying

Beershit paid far too much for him. That’s not our fault and we shouldn’t be helping them correct it

Exactly, the problem with the guaranteed extra income is that while we know we have it and want to spent it, agents and clubs also know we have it.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

I agree with this in principle - absolutely.

But say Aberdeen pony up £100k more to get him and they beat us to group Euro football next season due to his goals (one way or another) that would cost us £3m approx and gain them the same. A £6m swing… For the sake of not that much money really…

22 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

Nah not having that.

We either invest properly and sign a promising keeper. (understudy to one of the best in CG, good wage at a sizeable club, cup games and dare i say it only an injury or suspension to CG to get their chance) People forget number 1 spots are hard to get, hence why some keepers go whole careers barely playing a game.

Or secondly we invest just slightly in a backup approaching tail end of career (like Banksy. Jamie Macdonald?) as literally just about anyone is better than Stewart, he is absolute murder and will cost us results if we are forced to use him.

Ainsley Harriott

We should be prepared to walk away from Shankland deal. The guy hasn't shown himself at the top level so not worth gambling a substantial amount on.

The Wrinkly Ninja
1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

But say Aberdeen pony up £100k more to get him and they beat us to group Euro football next season due to his goals (one way or another) that would cost us £3m approx and gain them the same. A £6m swing… For the sake of not that much money really…

What if we pony up the additional 100k and Aberdeen sign the next best alternative for their actual value and that player takes them to a Euro spot? We don’t have a euro spot and we’ve paid more than we think he is worth.

We are just getting to a position where we pay fees for players . If we have learned anything from the last 26 years it is that we absolutely do not pay more than we think a player is worth to us in fees and or wages.

If we don’t get Shankland it will be because his club are asking too much. We will get someone else and I for one am certain that they, whoever they are, will take us to third in the league.

Phil D. Corners
10 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Did Beerschot not pay extra to out bid us? 

7 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Shankland isn’t the only game in town and he’s got the ‘can he score in the top league’ doubt about him. I’d hope and I’m sure we have a plan B C and D if we can’t get Shankland. I feel sure we are favourites and we’re doing the last dance with Beershot so no one feels bad about it.

4 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Would rather go for Simms and use money on Shankland for him if the deal is stalling 

Simms would cost us over a million IMO

Hearts just posted an instagram story of the pitch at Tynecastle… could be there to take photo of scarf above the head?

Fxxx the SPFL
22 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I can see where you are coming from but what if hypothetically we don't pay slightly more then our sheep friends step in and collar him we obviously want him but just looks like we are being stingy and in the big scheme of things £400k to £500k is not that much.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
15 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

What if we pony up the additional 100k and Aberdeen sign the next best alternative for their actual value and that player takes them to a Euro spot? We don’t have a euro spot and we’ve paid more than we think he is worth.

We are just getting to a position where we pay fees for players . If we have learned anything from the last 26 years it is that we absolutely do not pay more than we think a player is worth to us in fees and or wages.

If we don’t get Shankland it will be because his club are asking too much. We will get someone else and I for one am certain that they, whoever they are, will take us to third in the league.

If it’s the difference between £150k or £250k up front for him do we really care that much??

As an aside I want Shankland and Simms. And even if we get Shankland I would expect another striker in the mould of Simms if we can’t get him.

I don’t see this as an either or. We clearly need more than one new striker this summer. 

3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

If it’s the difference between £150k or £250k up front for him do we really care that much??

As an aside I want Shankland and Simms. And even if we get Shankland I would expect another striker in the mould of Simms if we can’t get him.

I don’t see this as an either or. We clearly need more than one new striker this summer. 

Indeed. Contracts about to expire in England and the market will be opened up. Probably better players than Shankland out there for no fee. Berahino for example ( yes…. Wages) but the point stands. I’d like Shankland and I don’t actually think £500k is too much but we’ve got to be careful what we’re paying and what we’re committing too for wages as all that money might be a one off.

18 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Would be worth it in my opinion 

He might well be, but there is no danger we’re paying that for him and his wages would be up around the £10k mark on top of that

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

He might well be, but there is no danger we’re paying that for him and his wages would be up around the £10k mark on top of that

would still be worth it. We have the money.

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

would still be worth it. We have the money.

Aye okay we do, but we’re not splashing it all. I think we’ll be quite conservative with it. We’ll sign higher quality for sure but we’re not throwing £3-4million about the place for 3-4 players and signing even one on £10k a week has current players knocking on the door for more money.

Simms on loan is the best option for us. Better than paying a fortune for a guy miles above our pay grades

Edited by JimmyCant

kingantti1874

Aye okay we do, but we’re not splashing it all. I think we’ll be quite conservative with it. We’ll sign higher quality for sure but we’re not throwing £3-4million about the place for 3-4 players and signing even one on £10k a week has current players knocking on the door for more money

It has to be controlled.  But if we stand still we are moving backwards.

we have to make sensible investments and Ellis Simm would be a sensible investment 

I disagree. It would be utterly daft, but hey…… opinions. Doesn’t matter anyway, we’re clearly not going to buy him at a premium price or we’d have moved down that road already 

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

we have to make sensible investments and Ellis Simm would be a sensible investment 

31 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

Just hope that Shankland is not the new Wyness.

Why?

Wyness used to be shite but then he became alright...at least for one night in Basel...

Edited by Rudolf

scott herbertson
18 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

only if the price and contract length are right

A one year deal  costing £2 million, wages at £20k a week with a £2million release clause might be a terrible investment.

We have to trust our management to negotiate the best deals - it's a simple as that

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

We should be prepared to walk away from Shankland deal. The guy hasn't shown himself at the top level so not worth gambling a substantial amount on.

I'm with you on that.

I know he has worked with Robbie before but I was never convinced he was all that great in the premier. 

Sad thing is when he was in championship I though Nisbet was the better of the 2 of them 😬

Think the way we play we need a physical striker like Simms up top.

kingantti1874
15 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I disagree. It would be utterly daft, but hey…… opinions. Doesn’t matter anyway, we’re clearly not going to buy him at a premium price or we’d have moved down that road already 

Like any business you have to speculate to accumulate.  We need to put clear air between ourselves and the rest and secure this European money year on year so that spending a million on a player is something we can do repeatedly. 

If we fall out of the top 3 then our rivals take that capability.  

look at Aberdeen, they’ve handed decent contracts to Scott McKenna and Calvin Ramsay and have secured up to £14m in sales from 2 average players. 

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

only if the price and contract length are right

A one year deal  costing £2 million, wages at £20k a week with a £2million release clause might be a terrible investment.

We have to trust our management to negotiate the best deals - it's a simple as that

agreed. 

1 hour ago, J80MBO said:

With money hearts wasted on 4 year deals for duds like Damour who higher earners I feel club could loosen purse strings and be fee of near 500k on shankland given surely know what getting.

Obvs clubs should try and drive best possible deal but feel should get it done one way or another for him.

Unless have some grand plan with other options. That's key question when comes to will we pay fee or not for shankland - what is alternative?

Loans 

11 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

look at Aberdeen, they’ve handed decent contracts to Scott McKenna and Calvin Ramsay and have secured up to £14m in sales from 2 average players. 

Aye look at Aberdeen right enough. Their prized assets nearly got them dragged into a relegation fight last season and they’ve cashed in in their best player. Now they’ve got a massive squad rebuild on their hands with an untested manager and a lot of money to find for a crumbling stadium they’ve done feck all about for 20 plus years.

Thanks but I’ll take the Hearts model, building sensibly with affordable decent players, improving year on year and not doing anything daft if you get a windfall.

Edited by JimmyCant

kingantti1874

Aye look at Aberdeen right enough. Their prized assets nearly got them dragged into a relegation fight last season. Thanks but I’ll take the Hearts model, building sensibly with affordable decent players, improving year on year and not doing anything daft if you get a windfall.

No one is suggesting we go crazy. But if we want to get closer to the old firm there is only one way to do it. Looking to recruit better players than the ones we have year on year. 

KyleLafferty

Robbie said he wants a few players with European experience and so far we haven’t been linked with any. So I’m hopeful/expecting a few more players later in the window 

hmfc_liam06

Wage spend is where things are won and lost. There's a really good Athletic article on wage spend vs success.

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

No one is suggesting we go crazy. But if we want to get closer to the old firm there is only one way to do it. Looking to recruit better players than the ones we have year on year. 

Going crazy is exactly what your suggesting we do for Simms. Closer to the OF ? Does it really matter if the gap goes from 25 points to 15 points ? We can’t spend our way up to the OF. They outspend us tenfold, more than that if we threatened them. It matters far more just now that we solidify 3rd. You don’t need to spend millions to do that

Edited by JimmyCant

• davemclaren changed the title to *** Hearts Summer Transfer Window 2022 - Snodgrass signs ***