Neilson ( merged )

jamborich

JamboGraham

I always felt the "money spinner" line has been way over played! It was a random, off the cuff remark from a gutted football manager only minutes after a desperately disappointing result. Not sure anything else in his mind at that point would have been 'media friendly'. Pre-internet it would have been forgotten about within a week.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Watt-Zeefuik

2 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

If we win the cup this season (I know that is a very big 'if'), would Neilson be the first person to win both a major trophy with Hearts as a player and a manager? Or did someone manage it in our early history?

You would think he must be the first. 

13 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

You know what to do Robbie, I've been very critical in the past about that money spinner game. 

You have guided us to 3rd place and I can only say well done, and full credit to you and board for that. 

Now to make up for past failure, shut me and the haters up once and for all. 

Get us to the final 👍🙏

Well said Bongo, time for him to lay  the doubts to rest. A home league tie and a Hamden semi final, nothing less than two wins please Robbie.  Job done 👍

1 minute ago, Barack said:

In financial terms, sorry?

Sorry if picked you up wrong, mate. But we're not talking pennies either way:

Screenshot_20220314-230412_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220314-230357_Chrome.jpg

I could be wrong but I make it only 750k EUR guaranteed

Just win the semi. It’s a multi million pound game for us as well as obviously getting to the final. What an opportunity to stamp on the vermin yet again with a beautiful outcome. Remember these cants gave up a placing in the league to demote us. And they also gave up £100,000 to do so.

Leith rats. Just do it 

1 minute ago, Barack said:

I just picked that off Wikipedia tbh, mate. Hurts my head, the permeatations. 

Beat them & it's immaterial. Then sexy foreign stars adorning our kit, thanks to euro millions. :jj:

If we beat them we're guaranteed Playoff round for Europa League then would fall into Conference League and guaranteed in til Christmas even if we get beat as I understand it. If Hibs beat us we get bumped down to having to play one or two rounds to qualify for Conference League proper. Could be a one and done a la Birkirkara. 

10 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

I could be wrong but I make it only 750k EUR guaranteed

I make it €2,940,000 guaranteed.

Minimum conference league group stages.

Edit: As long as the shite don't actually go on and win the damn thing.

Edited by graygo

13 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

If we beat them we're guaranteed Playoff round for Europa League then would fall into Conference League and guaranteed in til Christmas even if we get beat as I understand it. If Hibs beat us we get bumped down to having to play one or two rounds to qualify for Conference League proper. Could be a one and done a la Birkirkara. 

That’s not true. Hibs would need to go on and WIN the cup against one of the OF to stop us getting the EL play off spot

You don’t get anything for losing cup finals apart from a quiet bus ride home at 4.15pm😂

Edited by JimmyCant

Watt-Zeefuik
32 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

If we win the cup this season (I know that is a very big 'if'), would Neilson be the first person to win both a major trophy with Hearts as a player and a manager? Or did someone manage it in our early history?

I would have thought Tommy Walker but he never got major silverware as a player 

No Idle Talk

The people who don't want Robbie Neilson to be Hearts manager are not suddenly going to change their minds if he wins this semi-final against Hibs. The 'Robbie oot' mob will be expecting us to win this match so if we do go and win it then they will just say we did what we were expected to do. If we lose then I think I will be avoiding a number of threads on here for a while.

That said, I feel like this is a very big match for Robbie. His record against the spoon burners is surprisingly poor. So a win here would be important for him. I think he'll get it. I am very confident that Hearts are going to Hampden in May.

Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

The OP might even change his avatar to Robbie Neilson if he wins!

Deal 👍😂

44 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

Yes he would be the first.  JJ won it as manager but not as a player. As did Tommy Walker.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

You know what to do Robbie, I've been very critical in the past about that money spinner game. 

You have guided us to 3rd place and I can only say well done, and full credit to you and board for that. 

Now to make up for past failure, shut me and the haters up once and for all. 

Get us to the final 👍🙏

Getting us to a final by beating a much better Hibs side with a much worse Hearts side in the semi wasn't enough last season (there were threads calling for his head before the Brora result). Those haters are never going to shut up. Maybe if we win the cup. Then again, maybe not, given how close we got last season with a Championship side and still they laid into Neilson. I'm sure they'll find a reason to hand all the kudos to Joe Savage, or maybe themselves for "keeping Robbie on his toes".

Edited by ToqueJambo

Geoff Kilpatrick
2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Getting us to a final by beating a much better Hibs side with a much worse Hearts side in the semi wasn't enough last season (there were threads calling for his head before the Brora result). Those haters are never going to shut up. Maybe if we win the cup. Then again, maybe not, given how close we got last season with a Championship side and still they laid into Neilson. I'm sure they'll find a reason to hand all the kudos to Joe Savage, or maybe themselves for "keeping Robbie on his toes".

Not buying that shite! How many vermin would have got a game for us?

3 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

Just win the semi. It’s a multi million pound game for us as well as obviously getting to the final. What an opportunity to stamp on the vermin yet again with a beautiful outcome. Remember these cants gave up a placing in the league to demote us. And they also gave up £100,000 to do so.

Leith rats. Just do it 

I am 100% certain that our players will be reminded of this before each of our next two games against them.  It would be extremely fitting if they find themselves in the bottom 6 by losing the league game.

Jambo in Bathgate
1 hour ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Not buying that shite! How many vermin would have got a game for us?

Boyle, and those shouting for us to sign Nesbitt. We hadn’t long started that Championship campaign after being forced to stop our preparations by the SPFL. Hibs had played 10 or 12 competitive games. We were not favourites to win that game and were two penalties away from beating Celtic in the final. 

If Neilson won the cup some people would be say he has taken us as far as he can go and we should aim higher and get in a guy with European experience

A_A wehatethehibs

He’s got us 3rd and back to hampden - so a good contract extension and pay rise is fully merited as things stand right now. Got nothing to prove. 

He’s already beat Hibs twice at hampden once as a player resoundingly and also as a manager so, as i say, nothing to prove. He doesn’t have to earn any stripes or right any wrongs. He does not have to earn any PHM badges he is right up there with the best Hearts men there’s been. For Robbie this is about going one step further than any other Hearts man. Can he be the first to win the cup for us as both player and manager? Go on Robbie. 

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

Think he would. 

Ivanauskas won the Lithuanian Cup with Kaunas so practically the same thing 🙃

8 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Only if Hibs then win the final. 

8 hours ago, graygo said:

I make it €2,940,000 guaranteed.

Minimum conference league group stages.

Edit: As long as the shite don't actually go on and win the damn thing.

Plus gate money from four home ties

7 hours ago, No Idle Talk said:

The people who don't want Robbie Neilson to be Hearts manager are not suddenly going to change their minds if he wins this semi-final against Hibs. The 'Robbie oot' mob will be expecting us to win this match so if we do go and win it then they will just say we did what we were expected to do. If we lose then I think I will be avoiding a number of threads on here for a while.

That said, I feel like this is a very big match for Robbie. His record against the spoon burners is surprisingly poor. So a win here would be important for him. I think he'll get it. I am very confident that Hearts are going to Hampden in May.

Completely disagree with first sentence. If we beat hibs in the semi, absolutely everyone will be fully behind Neilson. 

Look at how many folk have changed their mind on him already this season.  

19 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Completely disagree with first sentence. If we beat hibs in the semi, absolutely everyone will be fully behind Neilson. 

Look at how many folk have changed their mind on him already this season.  

Neilson has already beat hibs in a semi, doesn’t seem to cut him much slack with some. I agree with no idle talk. 

11 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Neilson has already beat hibs in a semi, doesn’t seem to cut him much slack with some. I agree with no idle talk. 

You should've realised that Neilson has to beat them in a semi twice.  Though that comes with the caveat that some may believe nothing less than three times will suffice.

43 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Plus gate money from four home ties

And so much more, draw a German team for instance and they pay big bucks for TV rights, hospitality will sell out, plus the money for winning 6 group games. 😁

4 minutes ago, Haken said:

You should've realised that Neilson has to beat them in a semi twice.  Though that comes with the caveat that some may believe nothing less than three times will suffice.

True that did slip my mind. Quite versatile are the haters, expectations, targets and angles to hate are very fluid and change weekly. 

If we get a Europa spot for next season then a place in the Europa final is a must or Robbie will need to go.

Is that how this works ?

For me Robbie now stands on the brink of true greatness.....or an opportunity for those who have never been his fans to really dig their claws in.

If Robbie can beat Hibs at Tynecastle, secure 3rd place before the split, leave them languishing in the bottom 6, then smash them at Hampden, secure a cup final place and, even more importantly, guarantee 8 European games, then he will rightly be a legend. To a degree it doesn't matter if he loses the cup final but if he then won the cup final, with a recently promoted squad on top of those achievements, well then he would be held up as one of the greats IMHO.

On the flip side.....if he loses at Tynecastle and at Hampden, the "mad Budge ooot, Robbie,Robbie GTF" brigade will have all the ammo they need to become very vocal again 

mellors1874

Only worry for me is that Neilson always seems to have to change the team or tactics as he gets it wrong in big matches.

First 10 mins of the league game will show us all has he got that part sorted.

The players should be ripping the dressing room door of the hinges come kickoff time there that fired up but I haven't seen that from a Neilson team in a derby.

If he loses this match that will be the end for him.

That's a lot of pressure to he under.

13 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

Only worry for me is that Neilson always seems to have to change the team or tactics as he gets it wrong in big matches.

The players should be ripping the dressing room door of the hinges come kickoff time there that fired up but I haven't seen that from a Neilson team in a derby.

Handled the pressure fine at Hampden with *checks notes* Craig Wighton up front 😂😂

It’s a massive massive game and it’s so important he wins in it for a number of reasons. We have a better team than Hibs but I don’t think we’ve beat them yet. It would be huge if we could do that. It’s kind of unthinkable otherwise but he knows that. 

Niemi’s gloves
1 hour ago, graygo said:

And so much more, draw a German team for instance and they pay big bucks for TV rights, hospitality will sell out, plus the money for winning 6 group games. 😁

Don’t think that is how it works these days. All TV rights have been negotiated centrally in advance, with payouts favouring clubs from bigger TV markets (but still producing good money for clubs from smaller countries). 

16 minutes ago, mellors1874 said:

Got to disagree with that last part. 

Losing to Hibs would be gutting but we have still had a good season. 

The club will be taking a long term view on the management side of the club. 

It's crazy to go changing managers on a whim after a bad result. 

Ours is a stable club with sound people running the show, leave the managerial musical chairs to others. 😏

Just now, Niemi’s gloves said:

Don’t think that is how it works these days. All TV rights have been negotiated centrally in advance, with payouts favouring clubs from bigger TV markets (but still producing good money for clubs from smaller countries). 

Didn't know that. 👍

40 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

If we get a Europa spot for next season then a place in the Europa final is a must or Robbie will need to go.

Is that how this works ?

If he takes us to the final (and wins it) should we get rid as that's probably as far as he can take us? Or do we give him one year to have a go at winning the champions league?

2 hours ago, Dazo said:

He’s gaining more respect and support from the fans by the week. You’ll always have a few who are unhappy with almost any manager but not relevant numbers. 

Compare the amount of posters who were pissed off with him last season compared to now. Same with punters you meet on the pub. It’s a vocal minority now so it stands to reason the numbers will become even lower when he empties hibs out of the cup. 

Nookie Bear
10 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He’s gaining more respect and support from the fans by the week. You’ll always have a few who are unhappy with almost any manager but not relevant numbers. 

Compare the amount of posters who were pissed off with him last season compared to now. Same with punters you meet on the pub. It’s a vocal minority now so it stands to reason the numbers will become even lower when he empties hibs out of the cup. 

There are a few now getting their ducks in a row, putting everythig on this semi final as some kind of 'double or quits' one-off game.

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

There are a few now getting their ducks in a row, putting everythig on this semi final as some kind of 'double or quits' one-off game.

Yep

Unknown user
12 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I agree Barack but what I'm saying is in my opinion, if he was to win this semi final against Hibs, never again would I or other's be able to bring up that game in the past. 

This is huge. 

Europe get you're passport ready, get the player's that are pre contracts sorted, come and play for a big team Regan Charles Cook 😉

Just win I don't care if its a last minute goal resulting in a corner and it hits off McEneffs Bass Rock 😂

Just win this 😀 win this and we end Hibs season, what an incentive a final and to rub salt in the wounds even further i hate them. 

You already have no reason to bring up that game, our Robbie's doing a great job

21 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He really isn’t they are just lurking in the background waiting to pounce after continually looking like idiots for most of Robbie’s reign. As said above, the ducks are lined up nicely for them. 

9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

True.

Forget any previous games though, any Hearts manager who loses a semi against Hibs will lose a lot of fans.  That's the pressure.  But then that's the pressure we want our managers and players to be under, it comes with being at a club who wants to achieve.

The positive is the huuuuge upside of winning that semi (with 3rd in the bag already too let's remember).

We're getting closer and closer to unity and that one win could all but seal it except for the odd tinfoil frother who should be discounted as a glitch anyway.

Funny thing is we beat them in a semi while they were apparently riding high and we were trudging through in the Championship.  Being behind closed doors, it's kind of discounted.  Do it again.  Show up these tramps and rub their faces in it.

Name one position on the park where they are better than us.  I honestly can't think of one.  Maybe right back as Cadden OK, but that's debateable.  Not one other player for player do they come out on top.

That brings with it, its own pressure.  When we play the OF, we give ourselves a chance.  That's what Hibs will be thinking.  11 v 11 (or as per usual probably add the ref to their side) and all of that.  We need to assert our superiority, foot on the throat from the off.  We do that, Robbie goes from likeable guy we want to do well and who is achieving admirably, to our fearless leader.

Nookie Bear
4 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

True.

Forget any previous games though, any Hearts manager who loses a semi against Hibs will lose a lot of fans.  That's the pressure.  But then that's the pressure we want our managers and players to be under, it comes with being at a club who wants to achieve.

The positive is the huuuuge upside of winning that semi (with 3rd in the bag already too let's remember).

We're getting closer and closer to unity and that one win could all but seal it except for the odd tinfoil frother who should be discounted as a glitch anyway.

Funny thing is we beat them in a semi while they were apparently riding high and we were trudging through in the Championship.  Being behind closed doors, it's kind of discounted.  Do it again.  Show up these tramps and rub their faces in it.

Name one position on the park where they are better than us.  I honestly can't think of one.  Maybe right back as Cadden OK, but that's debateable.  Not one other player for player do they come out on top.

That brings with it, its own pressure.  When we play the OF, we give ourselves a chance.  That's what Hibs will be thinking.  11 v 11 (or as per usual probably add the ref to their side) and all of that.  We need to assert our superiority, foot on the throat from the off.  We do that, Robbie goes from likeable guy we want to do well and who is achieving admirably, to our fearless leader.

Spot on. It's massive and a defeat will be damaging for Robbie but would not sink him (barring a complete hammering and even more so if they go on to win the cup).

Our biggest obstacle here is over-confidence. Let hibs do the talking, let them talk about flair and big pitches and let us do our talking on the pitch.

Edited by Nookie Bear

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Our biggest obstacle here is over-confidence. 

Against hibs? I think our biggest obstacle will be traffic on the M8

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Spot on. It's massive and a defeat will be damaging for Robbie but would not sink him (barring a complete hammering and even more so if they go on to win the cup).

Our biggest obstacle here is over-confidence. Let hibs do the talking, let them talk about flair and big pitches and let us do our talking on the pitch.

It's brilliant.  Bonner last night giving it the usual media narrative of big pitch suiting Hibs expansive style etc!  Hibs actually did OK for half an hour against us in the last derby because they DIDN@T play football.  They played to their actual strengths - bit of pace, big guy in box.

If they want to go toe to toe and play a football match against us at Hampden.... bring it on.  Kingsley will beat them by himself!

They'll be looking in here.  I don't usually shout my mouth about derbies, and I won't be face to face especially with any Hibbies, let them do it if they want.  But on here, our forum... why wouldn't we be confident.

Robbies only worry will be if Willie Collum is the referee in the semi. 

That is without doubt the only chance Hibs will have!😍

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, mellors1874 said:

Personally, would prefer players to be professional and focused. Motherwell were wound up to frenzy last Sunday and could have been down to 9 by 10 minutes.

Don't want ref to be given opportunity to send out players off as that is best chance Hibs have.