Neilson ( merged )

jamborich

2 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Are folk seriously suggesting that if we finish third in the league abut lose to Hibs in the semi final 

Are folk seriously suggesting that if we finish third in the league but lose to Hibs in the semi then we will have had an unsuccessful season?

Cup ties are notoriously unpredictable, and H1b5 are not that bad. Even if they win cup (unlikely I think) then finishing third and getting to the semi-final of the Scottish Cup is a good season. Measuring everything we achieve solely in comparison to what H1b5 achieve is bonkers.

Question: If H1b5 lose in the final and we finish third do they leapfrog us in the European qualifying situation? That would p155 me of a bit but we will still have had a very good season.

If Hibs beat us but lose the final and we still finish third then we are in the group stages of either the Europa League or the Conference league depending on how we do in the play off Hibs would get nothing as the runner up.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Watt-Zeefuik

18 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Are folk seriously suggesting that if we finish third in the league abut lose to Hibs in the semi final 

Are folk seriously suggesting that if we finish third in the league but lose to Hibs in the semi then we will have had an unsuccessful season?

Cup ties are notoriously unpredictable, and H1b5 are not that bad. Even if they win the cup (unlikely I think) then finishing third and getting to the semi-final of the Scottish Cup is a good season. Measuring everything we achieve solely in comparison to what H1b5 achieve is bonkers.

Question: If H1b5 lose in the final and we finish third do they leapfrog us in the European qualifying situation? That would p155 me of a bit but we will still have had a very good season.

In the context of losing out of the several million at stake via the conference league, yes. 

Hibs would need to beat us then win the cup which is a tall order, but nonetheless, whilst its in our hands, it would be sore to have the rely on the OF beating them in the final. 

24 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

If we were to deal with losing the semi and no chance he is getting sacked why does it change if Hibs win the cup?  Will Robbie be managing Rangers or Celtic in the final? He can’t influence a game he isn’t involved in. 

If a consequence of us losing the semi was Hibs going on to win the cup and get £millions that we could have had, you don’t think he’ll be scapegoated as he was before ?. A large portion of the fan base didn’t want him back. A large portion wanted him replaced in the summer just past. His rating with the fan base has never been up to the hilt supportive to say the least. He wouldn’t be sacked. It wouldn’t be justified but he’ll carry the can, in the eyes of a large portion of the fan base for what would be a absolute disaster (Hibs winning the cup and the £millions that accompany that)

Hibs winning the cup would be absolutely gut wrenching. The new Dens Park.

Edited by JimmyCant

27 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If a consequence of us losing the semi was Hibs going on to win the cup and get £millions that we could have had, you don’t think he’ll be scapegoated as he was before ?. A large portion of the fan base didn’t want him back. A large portion wanted him replaced in the summer just past. His rating with the fan base has never been up to the hilt supportive to say the least. He wouldn’t be sacked. It wouldn’t be justified but he’ll carry the can, in the eyes of a large portion of the fan base for what would be a absolute disaster (Hibs winning the cup and the £millions that accompany that)

I’m saying he shouldn’t be scapegoated for a game he is not involved in. The nonsense that he was responsible for them winning the cup 2016 is just that, nonsense. Yes our defeat to them was hard to take but the first game was won before the players took their eye off the ball. At 2-0 we were looking more likely to get the next goal. With the current playing squad we have we should win the semi comfortably. If we don’t it’s as much, if not more,  down to the players than the manager. Lack of desire or stupid errors will be the reasons we lose it. I’m a great believer that a manager can do all the prep in the world before a game but once the players cross the white line it’s up to them. Hundreds of cup upsets over the years suggest that to be the case. 

Nookie Bear
33 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Were you not patronising everyone on here recently telling us you enjoy reasoned debate?

Because that's an embarrassing line.

2 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I’m saying he shouldn’t be scapegoated for a game he is not involved in. The nonsense that he was responsible for them winning the cup 2016 is just that, nonsense. Yes our defeat to them was hard to take but the first game was won before the players took their eye off the ball. At 2-0 we were looking more likely to get the next goal. With the current playing squad we have we should win the semi comfortably. If we don’t it’s as much, if not more,  down to the players than the manager. Lack of desire or stupid errors will be the reasons we lose it. I’m a great believer that a manager can do all the prep in the world before a game but once the players cross the white line it’s up to them. Hundreds of cup upsets over the years suggest that to be the case. 

I fully agree, but in the vicious alternate world that football fans live in………..he’d get slaughtered

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Were you not patronising everyone on here recently telling us you enjoy reasoned debate?

You felt that was patronising diddums ?

A £10million swing in the relative finances between Hearts and Hibs. Sorry but that’s a gut wrenching thought for me if not for you. 

Edited by JimmyCant

A Semi-Final Derby is huge regardless of when it occurs.

With the increase in the country's coefficient, and the way the Cup has developed, makes it massive beyond compare.

There is a real possibility those shitehawks could well be bottom six by the time the Semi comes around. They would have nothing left to play for. 

A massive game. 

We have to win, simple as that. 

In saying all that, if the unthinkable happened and they won the Semi, They could easily lose in the Final and we get the cash cow !

Would that appease the RN detractors ?

Don't kid yourself, they would be apoplectic !

HeartsandonlyHearts
2 hours ago, Hmfc1965 said:

It isn't that simple though. 

The board made an absolute mess of Robbie's replacement,  albeit largely because of Levein. 

If anything the process for Cathro's replacement was even worse. 

They then clung on to Levein for far too long when he surely couldn't have been hitting targets. 

As a result Stendel's appointment was a rush and a mistake. 

His sacking though was really badly handled. 

Hopefully things are different now but the board don't have the best of track records. 

What isn’t that simple?

I would say at MOST Robbie has us where the board would have hoped we’d be. Clear in third and a semi final to come. In all honesty they’d have taken 4/5 this season as a positive.
What happened in the past with decisions cant forever be brought up. Bringing Neilson in looks like a smart move. I’m sure many hoped we’d be here but probably though it would be another season of somewhat mediocrity before it happened. Demoted legally or illegally we are still a newly promoted team. Robbie has nothing to prove to me or thousands of other Hearts fans. Onward and upward.

HHGH

Cup games are one off games. If we lose the semi, anyone calling for Robbie's head needs to have a lie down in a dark room. You can't call for his head if he wasn't to win one game, regardless of who it is against 

Bottom line is I would much rather be in our position right now that where the vermin are. some folk losing their shit over them getting into Europe at the expense of us.

Hibs ain't winning the cup this year. They are no where near good enough, and with a tin pot manager like Maloney, it's only a matter of time before he gets found out 

I'm very confident we won't need any favours from any of the OF in the final as we will be the team that's lining up against them 

upgotheheads
3 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

You felt that was patronising diddums ?

A £10million swing in the relative finances between Hearts and Hibs. Sorry but that’s a gut wrenching thought for me if not for you. 

I don't have as dismal a view as you of the intelligence of the average Hearts fans Jimmy. There might be a small minority of Phoodle Phlying Club Ph***wits still around who  have conveniently forgotten what happened when their histrionics forced RN out of the club last time, when we were lying second or third in the league.

We went into freefall over the next five years, were relegated and probably lost £10million in the process. It has taken Robbie less than two years to pick up the pieces, stand us back on our feet and take us to a guaranteed European slot and the semi-final of the Scottish cup. 

There is a small element of our support who wouldn't know a good manager if he stood on their toe while holding the statistics in their faces. They feel entitled to the kind of football every week that they probably watch on their Sky tv subscription. It's a kind of arrogant entitlement syndrome displayed by so many of the Arse-cheek support, and phrankly I wish they would ph**k off.  

Edited by upgotheheads

23 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I don't have as dismal a view as you of the intelligence of the average Hearts fans Jimmy. There might be a small minority of Phoodle Phlying Club Ph***wits still around who  have conveniently forgotten what happened when their histrionics forced RN out of the club last time, when we were lying second or third in the league.

We went into freefall over the next five years, were relegated and probably lost £10million in the process. It has taken Robbie less than two years to pick up the pieces, stand us back on our feet and take us to a guaranteed European slot and the semi-final of the Scottish cup. 

There is a small element of our support who wouldn't know a good manager if he stood on their toe while holding the statistics in their faces. They feel entitled to the kind of football every week that they probably watch on their Sky tv subscription. It's a kind of arrogant entitlement syndrome displayed by so many of the Arse-cheek support, and phrankly I wish they would ph**k off.  

👏👏👏👏

27 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Bravo.

14 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

So, really nothing to do with the manager. We have better players in every position so they just need to do their jobs and we win comfortably. I don’t think the manager will be on the pitch during the game so it really is down to the players. 

Well no, that's clearly not the case.  In either scenario it isn't.  His job is to get the players' frame of mind right and also to get the tactics and attitude for the day right.

If we win, we win with the team he put together, coached and the tactics he plumped for on the day.

We lose, we lose with all those factors.  Our budget isn't far different to Hibs', in fact they've been splashing a bit of cash, so us having better players is down to good scouting and a coach who has been asking for the right stuff.  That's why we're better man for man.  He already should have credit for that.

Where I feel sorry a wee bit is it is 100% a one-off game.  We've proven we're better than Hibs, but anything can happen in reality.  Dodgy ref, lucky goal, 5 injuries, hit the post 23 times.  All of those things at once!!!  That's where it becomes tough to judge a guy who has done a good job based on one game.  Even the 2 derbies already this season, in truth the ref has saved Hibs

But also, that's football.  In terms of our history, it doesn't get much bigger than a Hearts v Hibs semi at Hampden.  Very few games have been bigger is the truth, so the manager will - either way - be judged on the outcome.

33 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

Great post

Watt-Zeefuik
5 hours ago, OTT said:

It actually is giving me the fear that so much is riding on one game. We cannot afford a repeat of the previous games against them this season where everyone and their dug seems to forget how to put the ball into the net. Our entire seasons success riding on one game is ridiculous frankly. But we are where we are. 

On paper, we've been more consistent than Hibs, Robbie as a manager has buckets more experience and has played games at Hampden in the latter stages of the cup. I'm trying to remember Paulo's quote about losing:

“If you believe that losing puts the pressure onto the other team that wins more times, okay, you keep losing. Keep losing and put the pressure onto us.”

Hopefully we go into this with the same attitude. Hibs have had a pretty bad season and the pressure is on for them otherwise we'll be able to begin to really pull away from them next year. 

In the league game, I'd play the reserves though. It pales in significance and I don't want to be picking up silly injuries before hand. 

I'm here too. We're a better side than Hibs, and that gap has increased with Boyle leaving. But in derbies anything can happen, and in cup ties anything can happen, and funny things happen at Hampden. That 2012 team had no business beating that Celtic team on paper but we did and that was glorious. Both we and Rangers were considerably better sides than Hibs in 2016 but things just went wrong.

It's bad enough when it's big silverware on the line, but this is big silverware PLUS a glorious European adventure and an enormous financial boost.

Hibs have scored two goals total since January against 11 full time players. We SHOULD be able to throw men forward and go for a true scudding. And yet....

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

Nothing to do with Craig Levein watching over him or thinking it was career progression?  He left because he was forced out by a few? :lol: 

That's some slight at the personality of our manager tbh. 

Naisys Tackle
9 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

I'm here too. We're a better side than Hibs, and that gap has increased with Boyle leaving. But in derbies anything can happen, and in cup ties anything can happen, and funny things happen at Hampden. That 2012 team had no business beating that Celtic team on paper but we did and that was glorious. Both we and Rangers were considerably better sides than Hibs in 2016 but things just went wrong.

It's bad enough when it's big silverware on the line, but this is big silverware PLUS a glorious European adventure and an enormous financial boost.

Hibs have scored two goals total since January against 11 full time players. We SHOULD be able to throw men forward and go for a true scudding. And yet....

There's not a chance Hibs can fluke a win against us then win the final.   No chance. 

Unknown user
1 hour ago, upgotheheads said:

This

4 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Nothing to do with Craig Levein watching over him or thinking it was career progression?  He left because he was forced out by a few? :lol: 

The reason for RN's departure are well documented. There will always be debate about that. Regardless of his reasons, paying for, and flying a plane over Tynecastle during a game is the most ridiculous thing I've ever witnessed.

Mentalist behaviour.

21 minutes ago, Boab said:

The reason for RN's departure are well documented. There will always be debate about that. Regardless of his reasons, paying for, and flying a plane over Tynecastle during a game is the most ridiculous thing I've ever witnessed.

Mentalist behaviour.

One flight ✈ from leaving again. Really?

Watt-Zeefuik
41 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

We have to do this every time, eh?

Yes, he wasn't forced out, he left to get career progression.

The arseholes who flew the plane and printed the "Phoodle Out" posters didn't help and were and remain to this day a horrific embarrassment to the club.

1 hour ago, jr ewing said:

One flight ✈ from leaving again. Really?

I'm not saying that was the reason. I wouldn't give them any credit for anything. Just pointing out that flying a plane above the ground on match day is pitiful in the extreme.

Agree ?

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, Led Tasso said:

We have to do this every time, eh?

Yes, he wasn't forced out, he left to get career progression.

The arseholes who flew the plane and printed the "Phoodle Out" posters didn't help and were and remain to this day a horrific embarrassment to the club.

Correct in all aspects. 

Naisys Tackle
1 hour ago, Boab said:

Mentalist behaviour.

Can't argue to be honest.  I'm in full agreement. 

19 minutes ago, Boab said:

I'm not saying that was the reason. I wouldn't give them any credit for anything. Just pointing out that flying a plane above the ground on match day is pitiful in the extreme.

Agree ?

Agreed. 

Guest ToqueJambo

7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

He HAS done a great job this season and no chance he is getting sacked, even if Hibs win the semi because that can happen in a one off derby match and we’d just need to deal with it

However if Hibs were to win the cup this season, they’d get the Euro Millions and we’d get sod all, a massive kick in the guts for the club and the natural psyche of the football fan is to look for who is to blame. You can guarantee Neilson will be under scrutiny if it happens. He d get slaughtered. He wouldn’t get sacked but he’d get slaughtered.    
Unfortunately he needs the opposite to happen. He needs to win the cup because doing that means he wins everyone over, apart from a few stubborn stragglers.

Im really willing him to take the extra couple of steps here and absolutely nail what’s left of the season

No. Reasonable people wouldn't automatically slaughter the manager for a defeat to anyone, a rival or otherwise, especially a manager who has otherwise done a very good job this season. Reasonable people also wouldn't blame Hibs beating another team on our manager.

Reasonable people would analyse why we lost in terms of how the game went, and place blame where it deserves to go, whether it's the manager for picking the wrong team or not changing things soon enough or players making mistakes or being off their game, or maybe there is no blame and the better team on the day won or luck didn't go our way or the ref cost us. Or most likely 2 or 3 of that list is behind 90% of our defeats.

Twats on the other hand...

Edited by ToqueJambo

Guest ToqueJambo
6 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

It's lines like that that are basically "tells" that reveal some posters' true colours. No idea why they're allowed to stay on the forum. Hibs winning the cup would be like Dens Park? Jesus.

Guest ToqueJambo
2 hours ago, Robbies Tackle said:

Managers expect a reasonable amount of stick. That was over the line. Only he can say if it factored into his decision-making at the time. He'd already turned down at least one approach to leave. Maybe he thought high profile things like that, if they were going to continue, would create problems for him that he simply didn't need at that very early stage of his career, especially when his stock was high which is always the best time to move on? He came back so it can't have affected him that much though.

Guest ToqueJambo
8 hours ago, OTT said:

It actually is giving me the fear that so much is riding on one game.

Par for the course for Neilson. Every game is a must-win for him in the eyes of some. It's bizarre beyond belief.

7 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

How can that possibly be the case? Hibs could only win the cup as a consequence of winning the final. So, how could Neilson be at fault for another team losing the final?

Naisys Tackle
15 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Managers expect a reasonable amount of stick. That was over the line. Only he can say if it factored into his decision-making at the time. He'd already turned down at least one approach to leave. Maybe he thought high profile things like that, if they were going to continue, would create problems for him that he simply didn't need at that very early stage of his career, especially when his stock was high which is always the best time to move on? He came back so it can't have affected him that much though.

It was way over the line.

He got more stick/abuse after Broara.

He left to be his own person, his own man at a club that should have had a chance of English Championship, just like he left Dundee Utd for career progression again.

It's a major slight on the man to say he left because of a few bams.

His stock would be just as high when we finish third again, I don't think despite the same kind of grumblings that would intensify again if we lose the Semi he would walk out again because he's the person making the main decisions this time. 

Naisys Tackle
1 minute ago, Bickfest said:

How can that possibly be the case? Hibs could only win the cup as a consequence of winning the final. So, how could Neilson be at fault for another team losing the final?

We can stop them having any chance.

2 minutes ago, Robbies Tackle said:

We can stop them having any chance.

Yes, but, in the unlikely event that they win the cup, that doesn't make them winning it a consequence of us losing the semi-final, anymore than it's Motherwell's fault for losing the quarter final.

Naisys Tackle
20 minutes ago, Bickfest said:

Yes, but, in the unlikely event that they win the cup, that doesn't make them winning it a consequence of us losing the semi-final, anymore than it's Motherwell's fault for losing the quarter final.

Not a direct, but a partial consequence of us failing to make sure they wouldn't even have a chance of winning it.  

Motherwell aren't a bigger or better side than Hibs either.  We are.  They shouldn't be even close to winning against us in the cup at home or at Hampden.

8 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Why should they be? Two managers lose semis every season. Are they always in trouble after them?  Will Celtic or Rangers manager be sacked if they lose the semi? 
Looking at the bigger picture is what’s required and we haven’t been in such good shape, on and off the pitch, for a long time. 

Losing to Hibs seems to make everyone :yadayada: especially in the cup.

Cut The Crap
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Not everyone, but Hearts fans certainly. Which seems fair enough to me. The day I'm able to just shrug off a defeat to Hibs is the day I give it up altogether.

I'm also not sure why people are so worried about Robbie. Whatever the result, he'll get what he deserves in terms of plaudits or brickbats.

That goes with the job of managing one of the biggest clubs in the country. He's already shown he's big enough to handle it - especially the brickbats.   

1 minute ago, Cut The Crap said:

Not everyone, but Hearts fans certainly. Which seems fair enough to me. The day I'm able to just shrug off a defeat to Hibs is the day I give it up altogether.

I'm also not sure why people are so worried about Robbie. Whatever the result, he'll get what he deserves in terms of plaudits or brickbats.

That goes with the job of managing one of the biggest clubs in the country. He's already shown he's big enough to handle it - especially the brickbats.   

I'll jump off the nearest bridge. But I have faith Robbie's bringing back the cup this season. 

:heartscup:

He has a chance to make his own bit of history and massively endear himself to the Hearts support.  Potentially, we will consign Hibs to the bottom 6 and hoof them out the Scottish Cup, all in the space of 8 days.

Neither game is at Easter Road and we have every chance of succeeding.

8 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

Cup ties are notoriously unpredictable, and H1b5 are not that bad. Even if they win the cup (unlikely I think) then finishing third and getting to the semi-final of the Scottish Cup is a good season. Measuring everything we achieve solely in comparison to what H1b5 achieve is bonkers.

RN will be toast if we lose to H1b5 in the semi.  He has had some horrific results whilst managing us and to be the first manager to lose to H1b5 at Hampden would finish him. This is one of the most important games in our history and only a win will do.

1 minute ago, McCrae said:

RN will be toast if we lose to H1b5 in the semi.  He has had some horrific results whilst managing us and to be the first manager to lose to H1b5 at Hampden would finish him. This is one of the most important games in our history and only a win will do.

There is absolutely no chance he’ll be leaving if we lose the semi. Assuming that’s what you meant by him being toast. 

2 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Absolute tosh, it's a 50/50 game.

And people are totally over playing the Euro money as some kind of game changer. It's estimated to be around  £4 million. That changes no games 

Cut The Crap
Just now, GinRummy said:

There is absolutely no chance he’ll be leaving if we lose the semi. Assuming that’s what you meant by him being toast. 

I agree.

If he can brazen out cup defeats to Alloa and Brora in the same season, he can survive anything. 

Just now, Cut The Crap said:

I agree.

If he can brazen out cup defeats to Alloa and Brora in the same season, he can survive anything. 

He’ll be seeing out his contract at least imo. If the board were getting rid of him he’d be gone before the  start of the season after some tedious displays against shite and one of the worst results in our history. 

24 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

We won’t be losing to Hibs this season. 

18 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

He’ll be seeing out his contract at least imo. If the board were getting rid of him he’d be gone before the  start of the season after some tedious displays against shite and one of the worst results in our history. 

Doesn't compare getting beat by Mossend Swifts  in the Rosbery charity cup semi final or Campsie in SC 😛

20 minutes ago, logopolis said:

Doesn't compare getting beat by Mossend Swifts  in the Rosbery charity cup semi final or Campsie in SC 😛

I get that Google could probably help me out here but save me the trouble…

upgotheheads
1 hour ago, McCrae said:

59 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

I agree.

Good grief! What a load of P15h