Russia Invades Ukraine

Greenbank2

Earlier this week Ukraine shot down 3 SU-34 bombers in one go using a Patriot system.

This was in the area around Krynky on the east bank beachhead over the river, which Russia has been heavily bombing (since they can't get their artillery close enough due to the other bank of the river being higher and Ukraine blowing the shite out of any Russian artillery that comes close).

Seems that with more Patriot systems being on the way, they relocated one of them from around Kyiv to the Kherson region and gave the Russian air force a rather nasty surprise.

This should give the beachhead bit of breathing room, unless the Russians want to lose more planes as well as tanks, artillery and men.

• Replies 16k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mikey1874

• Cade

• JFK-1

• redjambo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Thanks @Cade for your various reports on what's going on. Much appreciated.

Aye, you're doing a grand job.

This thread is a great one.

The plan is to ensure nobody wins. It's in the interest of Nato and the west that this conflict continues and depletes Ukraine and Russia military capability. It will finish Russia as a military and political power, just have to make sure Ukraine doesn't replace them.

8 hours ago, noskillson said:

The plan is to ensure nobody wins. It's in the interest of Nato and the west that this conflict continues and depletes Ukraine and Russia military capability. It will finish Russia as a military and political power, just have to make sure Ukraine doesn't replace them.

Russia, yes, but why would NATO be wanting to deplete Ukrainian military capability? NATO is planning to have Ukraine under its umbrella on the very doorstep of Russia. And do you honestly think that Ukraine could replace Russia as a significant international power? You're heavily over-estimating Ukraine's strength and aims.

Su-34 only entered service in 2014, so they're supposed to be cutting edge.

Reports from Krynky say that Russia hasn't dropped any bombs in the area since the Su-34s were shot down, so the Russians are obviously having a think.

Also in aviation news, Ukraine has taken delivery of the first batch of F-16s and dispersed them around various air bases in western Ukraine.

When used in an air-to-air combat role, they can spot, identify and engage the Russian planes way before the Russian planes even detect them. Could be a game changer, if used correctly. And so far in this war Ukraine has used most equipment correctly (with a few glaring errors).

Putin's raging and is making threats of bombing NATO air bases if F-16s take off from those bases to conduct combat missions over Ukraine.

Edited by Cade

scott herbertson
1 hour ago, Cade said:

Su-34 only entered service in 2014, so they're supposed to be cutting edge.

Reports from Krynky say that Russia hasn't dropped any bombs in the area since the Su-34s were shot down, so the Russians are obviously having a think.

Also in aviation news, Ukraine has taken delivery of the first batch of F-16s and dispersed them around various air bases in western Ukraine.

When used in an air-to-air combat role, they can spot, identify and engage the Russian planes way before the Russian planes even detect them. Could be a game changer, if used correctly. And so far in this war Ukraine has used most equipment correctly (with a few glaring errors).

Putin's raging and is making threats of bombing NATO air bases if F-16s take off from those bases to conduct combat missions over Ukraine.

Bluster from Putin I'm sure.

Ukranians are reporting some evidence of rising numbers of Russians, particularly from the 1st Corp army group  surrendering in groups due to maltreatment by their officers and unreasonable orders to attack unsupported by mechanised arm. A hard winter may see a massive rise in this I think.

14 hours ago, redjambo said:

Russia, yes, but why would NATO be wanting to deplete Ukrainian military capability? NATO is planning to have Ukraine under its umbrella on the very doorstep of Russia. And do you honestly think that Ukraine could replace Russia as a significant international power? You're heavily over-estimating Ukraine's strength and aims.

History would disagree... Japan and Germany emerged as world powerhouses after a significant conflict and they allegedly lost the war

henrysmithsgloves
28 minutes ago, noskillson said:

History would disagree... Japan and Germany emerged as world powerhouses after a significant conflict and they allegedly lost the war

Thanks to allied investment,more modern equipment etc. so they could pay war reparations faster.....

scott herbertson

Ukraine has blown up another Russian warsip (big landing ship allegedly  with a cargo  of drones so spectacular explosions) using jets in Crimea - looks like Russia's air defences there are at best patchy

https://news.sky.com/video/ukraine-says-it-destroyed-a-major-russian-navy-vessel-after-airstrike-on-port-town-in-crimea-13037607

Edited by scott herbertson

Marinka has been on the line of contact since 2014.

It's taken them 9 years to advance 5km and take the town.

Not that there is a town there any more, just small piles of rubble on the landscape where buildings used to be.

Not sure how many men and how much equipment was lost during the battle for the town, that's too much effort to count up. 

Another epoch-defining victory for Mother Russia.

Meanwhile, Russian aircraft continue to explode in mid-air for some reason.

Another three were knocked out of the skies yesterday, one around Odesa and two around Avdiivka.

That brings the total aircraft losses to 63, so 10% of those have happened in the last week. 

I'm sure that Russia will claim electrical faults or smoking as the reason for the losses.

And another Russian landing ship was destroyed by Ukraine in Feodosia harbour, eastern Crimea.

1 hour ago, scott herbertson said:

Ukraine has blown up another Russian warsip (big landing ship allegedly  with a cargo  of drones so spectacular explosions) using jets in Crimea - looks like Russia's air defences there are at best patchy

https://news.sky.com/video/ukraine-says-it-destroyed-a-major-russian-navy-vessel-after-airstrike-on-port-town-in-crimea-13037607

Russia repelled the attack

20231226_114925.jpg

Edited by Mikey1874

3 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Russia repelled the attack

quite clearly not the result of a ukrainian attack.

more likely is the russian sailors had too many sprouts over christmas

3 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

Before and after

Beautiful, I reckon this loss and the warplane losses hurt the Russians more than the grotesque human cost of their land assaults.

It remains very difficult for Ukraine to capture their stolen territory but recent events must bolster their morale and hopefully encourage better support from the West.

Unconfirmed reports are claiming that this ship was full of Iranian gear.

It's no secret that Russia has been using its amphibious assault craft to ferry shipments of drones and other weapons across the black sea from Russian ports to Crimean ones.

Seeing as the railways keep getting wrecked and truck convoys are an endangered species, armed navy ships are being used to ferry kit around.

And now that's another large landing ship gone for a wee trip to the briny bottom.

It's not as if the Yanks don't already have a bad reputation for abandoning their allies.

Who then become their enemies.

And it's not as if Russia was ever NOT anti-West not expansionist.

All that article is saying is that nothing changed when the USSR fell apart.
They just sold us some cheap gas&oil for a couple of decades, and used the money to fund their new wave of military expansionism.

Plus ca change......

38 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Nae NATO(on the Russian border) nae problem.

You do realise that there were already five other countries in NATO that shared a border with Russia, even before Finland stepped up.

Seems Ukraine attacked military targets around Belgorad and people killed by Russian Air defence. 

Of course getting the true story confirmed may be impossible. 

31 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Seems Ukraine attacked military targets around Belgorad and people killed by Russian Air defence. 

Of course getting the true story confirmed may be impossible. 

And Russia runs straight to the UN to complain about about it, immediately after an attack on Ukraine which killed more people, and after two or so years of killing and maiming Ukrainians while destroying their towns and villages and mining their fields and forests. The brass neck on them.

When missiles get shot down, they don't disintegrate in mid-air like they do in the movies.

They tend to just fall out of the air and explode on whatever is underneath them.

Sometimes, sadly, this results in civilian casualties.

The difference is that Ukraine targets military installations with its missiles.

Russia targets civilian infrastructure.

Ukraine hits arms depots, tank repair shops and army barracks.

Russia hits hospitals, power plants, ports and train stations.

Sawdust Caesar

Not war related but it is in Moscow.

Reminds me of the scene from The Wolf of Wall Street when Leo is wasted and tries to drive home.

1 hour ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

Reminds me of the scene from The Wolf of Wall Street when Leo is wasted and tries to drive home.

Whats my mrs doing in Moscow 

2 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Disturbing 🥺

The video, which may or may not be true? 

Or Cruyff posting anti-Ukraine content on JKB?

Do you know anything about the video, or the agenda of whoever posted it to TikTok?  I don't, but it takes **** all looking up to see where the X account is coming from politically.  If I found something like "Justin Theory" on my shoes I'd be very careful what I used to clean it off.

henrysmithsgloves
54 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

The video, which may or may not be true? 

Or Cruyff posting anti-Ukraine content on JKB?

Do you know anything about the video, or the agenda of whoever posted it to TikTok?  I don't, but it takes **** all looking up to see where the X account is coming from politically.  If I found something like "Justin Theory" on my shoes I'd be very careful what I used to clean it off.

And your agenda is? I simply made an observational comment on the video content,sorry if my comment offended yourself. 

20 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

And your agenda is? I simply made an observational comment on the video content,sorry if my comment offended yourself. 

My agenda?  Partly asking about the content of the video, and the motivations of the chain of people who put it in our direction.  And partly distaste for Russian fascism.

henrysmithsgloves
2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

My agenda?  Partly asking about the content of the video, and the motivations of the chain of people who put it in our direction.  And partly distaste for Russian fascism.

Glad that's cleared up, here's hoping to a peaceful new year, all over the globe👍🏻

Mikey1874
2 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Just a quick look this guy posts /retweets very right wing pro Trump conspiracy theory stuff about America mostly. A simple check would have found that. 

Examples

20240101_002025.jpg

20240101_002108.jpg

11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just a quick look this guy posts /retweets very right wing pro Trump conspiracy theory stuff about America mostly. A simple check would have found that. 

By the way, that doesn't guarantee that the video is fake.  But even if it's real, so what?

The fascist Russian invaders are the problem. They've invaded sovereign Ukrainian territory, and the consequences of that are their fault.

Mikey1874
6 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

By the way, that doesn't guarantee that the video is fake.  But even if it's real, so what?

The fascist Russian invaders are the problem. They've invaded sovereign Ukrainian territory, and the consequences of that are their fault.

These allegations against Ukraine are common from pro Russian sources. That's not to say Ukraine doesn't have problems. But its unlikely to say the least. 

11 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

These allegations against Ukraine are common from pro Russian sources. That's not to say Ukraine doesn't have problems. But its unlikely to say the least. 

I'd agree with you, but I wouldn't even argue that.  It just plays into the hands of fascist sympathisers and pro-Putin useful idiots.  They love nothing better than "but someone once said Ukraine did something wrong, so Russia invading sovereign territory, murdering the inhabitants, and creating millions of refugees is alright by me".

**** them.  They're wrong, full stop.

17 hours ago, Sawdust Caesar said:

10% ethanol in the petrol, 50% ethanol in the driver!