Inflation

jamb0_1874

That thing you do
14 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I can't be the only one that saw nothing wrong with what @That thing you do said?

Jings, as it stands if I were to relocate to Polska I'd be a fair bit better off when drawing down my pension...and I'd be saying so too... :)

Cheers but hes right. Ive mentioned it a few times partly as I dont know if people know my situation as no idea who reads it each time. But, it can come off as a bit look at me...so Ive acknowledged that 

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

il Duce McTarkin
34 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Cheers but hes right. Ive mentioned it a few times partly as I dont know if people know my situation as no idea who reads it each time. But, it can come off as a bit look at me...so Ive acknowledged that 

To be fair, if I was a property / crypro mogul, lording it in Cartel Country, sipping the finest tequila and puffing on fat habanas by a huge swimming pool surrounded by a selection of the most nubile of nubiles that the savings from cheap heating bills can buy, I'd be letting those pasty faced losers know all about it too.

Edited by Dirk McTarkin

Unknown user
1 hour ago, That thing you do said:

I wouldn't worry about it. There's no shame in having a nice life, and some of us like to share more about ourselves, some less.

People can always put you on ignore if they don't like your patter, it's their problem not yours.

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

I can't be the only one that saw nothing wrong with what @That thing you do said?

Jings, as it stands if I were to relocate to Polska I'd be a fair bit better off when drawing down my pension...and I'd be saying so too... :)

I saw nothin wrong with it either . If you can’t blow your own trumpet who else will ? He’s  clearly been successful in life . What’s wrong with that ? 

“ we all come into this world with our egos equipped with individual horns , if we don’t blow them , who will ? “ 😎

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

periodictabledancer
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

And, you’ve got a wee swimming pool.  Whoopy doo!!!

It’s not exclusive to you, by the way.

You're on the wine again.

Alcohol & narcissism aren't a good look for you. 

The Mighty Thor
Just now, jamb0_1874 said:

Status quo this month. I think the people in charge have got this under control.... 👌

Underlying inflation actually up from 6.7% to 7.1%

So the grand plan isn't working. 

Wee hide and seek Rashid will be in hiding again as his 5 pledges fall apart

12 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

At least it gives you something to have your morning moan about Thor. 😊

The Mighty Thor
10 minutes ago, Dazo said:

At least it gives you something to have your morning moan about Thor. 😊

I've been very quiet of late Dazo. 😎

Tolerance levels at an all time low so keeping my time on here to a minimum.

It's for the best 👍

30 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

It's fine the BoE haven't boosted interest rates yet!! 👍

Konrad von Carstein
8 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

I saw nothin wrong with it either . If you can’t blow your own trumpet who else will ? He’s  clearly been successful in life . What’s wrong with that ? 

“ we all come into this world with our egos equipped with individual horns , if we don’t blow them , who will ? “ 😎

IMG_20230621_085622.jpg

mrmarkus1981_1

Based on a Halifax remortgage calculator, at todays rate, my mortgage will go up by £500 come December/January.

That's not stopping going for a few pints, start shopping at ALDI, cancel Netflix type savings, for some its going to be catastrophic and potentially homelessness.

Grim times 

Edited by mrmarkus1981_1

The danger now is not the dogma of a wage x price spiral.  It's more likely to be a wage x mortgage/rent spiral.  It's time to experiment by ceasing the interest rate rises and perhaps even carefully reducing it.

The Mighty Thor
30 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The danger now is not the dogma of a wage x price spiral.  It's more likely to be a wage x mortgage/rent spiral.  It's time to experiment by ceasing the interest rate rises and perhaps even carefully reducing it.

Yip.

It's not a demand led inflation spike, it's supply led. 

Food inflation.

Fuel inflation.

Putin's aggression - although the initial shock of this to supply have now been priced in

Brexit - Turns out taking 4% out of your GDP isn't conducive to economic stability.

The BoE are on the verge of a death spiral of rate hikes which will never bring down inflation as currently measured in the 70's terms we measure it in. 

periodictabledancer
32 minutes ago, Victorian said:

This. Interest rate rises aren't going to curb the spending of non mortgage payers (half the population?). But mortgage payers are carrying the can for all consumer spending , in effect. 

Half the country sees it's living standards collapse while the other half gets off Scot free. 

Is there any other country in Europe that has such a hopelessly managed economy?

Unknown user
2 hours ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

Based on a Halifax remortgage calculator, at todays rate, my mortgage will go up by £500 come December/January.

That's not stopping going for a few pints, start shopping at ALDI, cancel Netflix type savings, for some its going to be catastrophic and potentially homelessness.

Grim times 

It's mental, and they keep talking about lifting productivity. How's that going to happen when everyone's shitting themselves about the future?

Mortgage ****ing you, food costs ****ing you, heating ****ing you, now work harder!

Tax the rich to absolute ****, cream the energy company profits and let all those struggling breathe a little.

Energy company's still making record profits is a scandal, while folk can't make their mortgage payments.

2 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Tax the rich to absolute ****, cream the energy company profits and let all those struggling breathe a little.

Energy company's still making record profits is a scandal, while folk can't make their mortgage payments.

This.  A national interest contingency redraw of the entire portfolio of taxation.  Wholesale redistribution of wealth.  

All hell would break loose but the perverse thing is that it could benefit everybody in net terms over the piece.

3 hours ago, mrmarkus1981_1 said:

Grim times 

Depending on the re-valuation of our house we 'should' be able to get away with a c£200 increase, incidentally I did see HSBC are currently offering a 10 year fixed at just under 5%

WorldChampions1902

Just listened to a Senior Bloomberg economist on BBC radio say that quote, “when inflation rates get above 8%, on average, it takes 14 years (yes 14 years!), to return to 2% inflation”  

2% is the U.K. government’s long-standing inflation target.

Time to buckle up.

periodictabledancer
39 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's mental, and they keep talking about lifting productivity. How's that going to happen when everyone's shitting themselves about the future?

Mortgage ****ing you, food costs ****ing you, heating ****ing you, now work harder!

It's a fact UK is rooted in a low wage, low skill economy : UK invests pathetically in robot technology when ompared to European competitors and as things stand UK will never increase productivity to any great degree.

I feel sorry for young people now, it's a complete shit show. The old have it all and aren't bearing anything like the cost young families are and all the while they continue to inflict the tory party on the young. 

Mortgage payers are being crucified because the tories absolutely refuse to raise taxes like they should - that would hit spending in the  blink of an eye, and it would hit everyone's spending, especially those who are mortgage free and are having a great time of it (that includes me too). 

Looking at core inflation , in aprticulat car prices being hiked : why isn't this being attacked directly by rtaising VAT on new car purchases ? How does cripplimng mortgage payments for people who are already toiling impact that ? This govt has no clue and it's still rooted in the 70s where high interest rates are the (onl) answer. 

Just read a report from an "expert" who says the govt needs a recession to get inflation down. :facepalm:

Edited by periodictabledancer

Thunder and Lightning
27 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Define Rich.

periodictabledancer
9 minutes ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Define Rich.

Y'know, the ones with all the money.

periodictabledancer

Interestin reading - https://www.ekathimerini.com/economy/1204476/mortgage-subsidy-applications-reach-14000-in-10-days/

I didn't know some countries (having used taxpayers money to bail them out in the first place ) require banks to (partially) absorb interest rate hikes for vulnerable customers (given that high interest rates are now driving up huge bank profits). 

Naturally, I expect the tories will hate that idea. 

Edited by periodictabledancer

Unknown user
29 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Y'know, the ones with all the money.

Won't someone think of Goliath?

14 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

You're on the wine again.

Alcohol & narcissism aren't a good look for you. 

Point 1. - You’re wrong again.

Point 2. - You’re slavering again.

That thing you do
6 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

Interestin reading - https://www.ekathimerini.com/economy/1204476/mortgage-subsidy-applications-reach-14000-in-10-days/

I didn't know some countries (having used taxpayers money to bail them out in the first place ) require banks to (partially) absorb interest rate hikes for vulnerable customers (given that high interest rates are now driving up huge bank profits). 

Naturally, I expect the tories will hate that idea. 

Mexico has a rule that 5% of your mortgage is covered by your employer via a social security system called Infonavit thats part of IMSS- which like the UK provides free healthcare. You have to get your mortgage through Infonavit to qualify and theres a max earning threshold.  You also get a tax return based on a % of interest paid for your house, plus CFE the electric company subsidise electric for 3 months a year.

The other difference here is mortgage rates are locked for the full duration of your mortgage at the time of signing and they give you a payment chart so you know exactly how much it is going to cost. You also can pay down the capital and reduce your monthly payment or the length of your mortgage. Of course you can lose if rates fall but honestly I prefer knowing where I stand on my mortgage.

They also have 5% of salary converted to vales - these are vouchers you can can use to buy every day items.  bit like food stamps but the options are wider than food.

Youd think the UK could do similar.

Jambof3tornado

How much do economists get paid?? Just wondering if I could get a job doing it coz they are always fookin wrong!!

Junior is looking at a 62% rise in his mortgage payment come march from 370 to 600(roughly). Wowser. He bought his flat just as everything went to shit!!

Was hoping it woukd have plateaued by then,maybe even started coming down but it could still be on the up by then!!!!

Arseholes to a man, people don't spend, company's go bust due to high energy prices, country is ****ed. It's nothing to do with spending, it's high energy prices, interest rates do nothing. People will lose homes for a wrong outdated ideology imposed by criminals intent on making the rich richer. £128000 mortgage over 15 years you pay over £300000 in interest on tracker. This for the same loan you would pay half or less on six months ago. Tory economics. The rich cause inflation. Not the home owner. We need a riot.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
13 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

How much do economists get paid?? Just wondering if I could get a job doing it coz they are always fookin wrong!!

Junior is looking at a 62% rise in his mortgage payment come march from 370 to 600(roughly). Wowser. He bought his flat just as everything went to shit!!

Was hoping it woukd have plateaued by then,maybe even started coming down but it could still be on the up by then!!!!

I’m not being funny but £600 a month is really not a big sum for a mortgage. Unless he’s either got somewhere extremely low value or very little left to pay on it, £370 is absolute peanuts.

I first bought in 2006. The interest rate was as high then as it is now. Granted, the cost of living is putting massive pressure on now but the fact is, too many people have unrealistic expectations of how expensive a mortgage should be. And loads who benefitted for tracker mortgages during years and years of zero interest rates did **** all to plan ahead for the day when rates changed.

31 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I’m not being funny but £600 a month is really not a big sum for a mortgage. Unless he’s either got somewhere extremely low value or very little left to pay on it, £370 is absolute peanuts.

I first bought in 2006. The interest rate was as high then as it is now. Granted, the cost of living is putting massive pressure on now but the fact is, too many people have unrealistic expectations of how expensive a mortgage should be. And loads who benefitted for tracker mortgages during years and years of zero interest rates did **** all to plan ahead for the day when rates changed.

They don’t like it around these parts when you suggest people should take some sort of responsibility for their lives. 

Jambof3tornado
31 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

He's got 23.5 years left on it. Paid just over 100,000 for a flat in Alloa.

Its still a 62% increase in the cost,for his low value property!!!

He didnt break the bank to buy something he couldnt afford when rates rose,clearly at 2.19% for 2 years they were only going to go up.

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, That thing you do said:

Mexico has a rule that 5% of your mortgage is covered by your employer via a social security system called Infonavit thats part of IMSS- which like the UK provides free healthcare. You have to get your mortgage through Infonavit to qualify and theres a max earning threshold.  You also get a tax return based on a % of interest paid for your house, plus CFE the electric company subsidise electric for 3 months a year.

The other difference here is mortgage rates are locked for the full duration of your mortgage at the time of signing and they give you a payment chart so you know exactly how much it is going to cost. You also can pay down the capital and reduce your monthly payment or the length of your mortgage. Of course you can lose if rates fall but honestly I prefer knowing where I stand on my mortgage.

They also have 5% of salary converted to vales - these are vouchers you can can use to buy every day items.  bit like food stamps but the options are wider than food.

Youd think the UK could do similar.

Cheers, very interesting.

I was reading that French mortgages are "locked in" for the duration - an interest rate of 1.8% was mentioned.

Certainly the UK govt could and should do more but as usual they can't be arsed. 

59 minutes ago, Dazo said:

They don’t like it around these parts when you suggest people should take some sort of responsibility for their lives. 

Correct. 👍

Get them to do an income and expenditure exercise, or a budget planner.  That’ll soon sort them out.

‘No, no, no’ they’d say. ‘The roof over my head, the bricks and mortar’?  

Sorry, they’d say.  This is not something that I’m responsible for.

I’ve got my two phones to pay for, my gym membership, my massive TV, my two cars, the clothing allowance (per month) for the ‘kids’. My darling wife’s’ frocks. My four or five pints each night in the pub.  My season ticket.  My beard oil.

Sorry, they’d say.  I’ve got all these important ‘necessities’ to pay for.

Why should I pay my mortgage/rent?

Get these chancers away to feck.

Oh, and they ‘need’ the cairry-oot on a Friday to soak up the beer that should have been used for their rent.

Magic, eh?

18 minutes ago, Morgan said:

Correct. 👍

Get them to do an income and expenditure exercise, or a budget planner.  That’ll soon sort them out.

I’ve got my two phones to pay for, my gym membership, my massive TV, my two cars, the clothing allowance (per month) for the ‘kids’. My darling wife’s’ frocks. My four or five pints each night in the pub.  My season ticket.  My beard oil.

Oh, and they ‘need’ the cairry-oot on a Friday to soak up the beer that should have been used for their rent.

Magic, eh?

So you’re for a recession then? If mortgage rates are so high folk can’t afford much else, then how does the UK economy fair? At least admit things are ****ed here, Mr I Have Multiple Homes. 

periodictabledancer
2 hours ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

And loads who benefitted for tracker mortgages during years and years of zero interest rates did **** all to plan ahead for the day when rates changed.

That's one great big sweeping generalisation.

You're seriously saying "loads" should have foreseen the perfect storm of the current rates of rampant inflation and outrageously high energy costs coupled with ever climbing interest rates ? Not to mention the war in Ukraine or the disaster that was Trussonomics. 

1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Correct. 👍

Magic, eh?

You forgot the Netflix sub and the Costa Coffee for the full Tory Bingo card.

Diadora Van Basten

Peston reckons tomorrow BOE base rate rise will be 0.5%.

I had been expecting a .25% rise and had hoped they would put a hold as interest rates are already far higher than people can afford.

I actually thought Alex Salmond spoke a lot of sense and seems to be the only commentator who seems to get it.

Unknown user
19 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

People are guilty of doing no more than exactly what the government and banks wanted them to do. Stretch for your dreams, put stuff on credit, buy a bigger house than you need - you can afford it!

Joe Public aren't the problem, except that they kept voting for the obvious incompetence and corruption of the Tory party.

13 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Peston reckons tomorrow BOE base rate rise will be 0.5%.

I had been expecting a .25% rise and had hoped they would put a hold as interest rates are already far higher than people can afford.

I actually thought Alex Salmond spoke a lot of sense and seems to be the only commentator who seems to get it.

Right help me out but how does a VAT reduction tackle inflation particularly when the primary drivers of it are items that are VAT exempt, already charged at a fairly reduced rate or claimed back by businesses?

Is the idea that business costs overall would be reduced and this would pass on? I'm not sure I trust that. 

I mean I could imagine some marginal impacts but up against what we're seeing right now it seems like a nice thing to throw out on in an interview but I need a bit of convincing it would do much good. 

5 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Got fit the immigrants in as well, it'll be the dinghies causing inflation.