Nick Walsh

colinmaroon

SomethingAboutObua
52 minutes ago, OTT said:

Yup. It’s genuinely a question I’d like to see put to McKinley/ the club board via the FOH. 

There is a distinct lack of east coast referees. Why? Can a breakdown of where the current crop are from (by association I mean). If not why not?

Its about time clubs started to put pressure on the SFA for transparency and parity in refereeing selections. 

Not the full answer but it has been said that refereeing here is all about who you know, whose bags you carry etc. Obviously more west coasters will know more west coasters, I take it sessions and training take place in Glasgow, Troon/Largs I'm sure I've seen mentioned? I'd be interested in seeing how many refereeing courses at all levels take place outside of the west coast.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• merrymac

• Riccarton3

• colinmaroon

• GinRummy

He’s appalling, but that’s not new information. 

There was a belter in the first half when Zander Clark launched a long ball and there was a coming together on the half way line leaving their attacker on his arse. 

Walsh was still looking at Clark and saw him claim for a foul, turned round and saw the boy on the deck, then looked at both linesmen for advice and eventually settled one just blowing his whistle for a foul despite not having seen it.

Absolute guesswork. 

Edited by Zaba

17 minutes ago, Zaba said:

There was a belter in the first half when Zander Clark launched a long ball and there was a coming together on the half way line leaving their attacker on his arse. 

Walsh was still looking at Clark and saw him claim for a foul, turned round and saw the boy on the deck, then looked at both linesmen for advice and eventually settled one just blowing his whistle for a foul despite not having seen it.

Absolute guesswork. 

Yeh I was going bananas at that! He was pathetic throughout the whole game, starting with awarding fouls against Devlin and Haring for perfectly good tackles!

iwasthere1954
2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

There are some awful refs in our league but I honestly think he is the worst. 

I think that guy Robertson is on a par with Walsh. Unfortunately Robertson has the detby. Both biased referees. 

What happened at that ball drop incident when the ref dropped the ball to Soutar who made no attempt to play it then Kane nipped in and took the ball only for Walsh to bring play back and drop the ball again. Couldn't understand why Soapy didn't react when it was dropped.

41 minutes ago, jackal said:

Standard of refs in this country is shocking. The fact they dont even have to answer for any of their decisions doesnt help. If they make the decision, let them explain it.

Souttars yellow was soft and doubtful it was even a foul, Smiths yellow was a joke. Ciftci catches Devlin about knee height and I think we were lucky to get the foul, and not even a word to Ciftci.
Should have had a pen and many good challenges he gave as free kicks against us, Haring, Devlin and McKay just a few.

Sooner refs realize its not about them the better.

Not sure what angle you saw the Soapy booking from but from where I was it was a calculated foul he had to make and was an obvious booking.

2 hours ago, The Apprentice said:

The worst thing is that it wasn't even a hard game to referee and yet he still manages to making himself a talking point. At one point in the 1st half he gave a foul on the half way line because the 4th official told him to!

yeap - saw that one as well. had to make a decision - looked to the sidelines (I think) hoping to get assistance from the lino......only for him to see the 4th official stood there.....and then he makes a decision.

happy to be educated but since when does the 4th official have any say regarding on field decisions?

Him penalising Barrie McKay for an absolutely brilliant tackle to win the ball back was staggering!

stevie.nolan.5
6 hours ago, Kyle1874 said:

Missed 2 clear penalty’s for hearts IMO and was it Davidson that could of seen red terrible referee 

Never said anything about Davidson giving the dug out a hard right hook. 

kettering jam tart

Nick Walsh’s performance against Rangers was the most one sided biased performance I’ve ever seen from a referee, even last night in the space of 1 minute, he denied us a penalty, stopped the play when we had the advantage and then gave St Johnstone a foul when devlin won the ball.

53 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

What happened at that ball drop incident when the ref dropped the ball to Soutar who made no attempt to play it then Kane nipped in and took the ball only for Walsh to bring play back and drop the ball again. Couldn't understand why Soapy didn't react when it was dropped.

I think a drop ball has to be played while the ball is bouncing. Souttar was trying to let it stop dead and Kane got sick of waiting. 

49 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

Not sure what angle you saw the Soapy booking from but from where I was it was a calculated foul he had to make and was an obvious booking.

Yes.   He made a mess of the header, lost his man, pulled his shirt, got booked.    Fair outcome. 

1 hour ago, jackal said:

Standard of refs in this country is shocking. The fact they dont even have to answer for any of their decisions doesnt help. If they make the decision, let them explain it.

Souttars yellow was soft and doubtful it was even a foul, Smiths yellow was a joke. Ciftci catches Devlin about knee height and I think we were lucky to get the foul, and not even a word to Ciftci.
Should have had a pen and many good challenges he gave as free kicks against us, Haring, Devlin and McKay just a few.

Sooner refs realize its not about them the better.

Refs are in an elite group, they get paid well. Always been songs sung about them always will be. The standard is shocking due to them being chosen through what is a west coast run show.

Not full time but paid enough to take any flak they get on the chin, one of those sporting jobs that have hated written all over them before the game begins.

This little ***** was definitely a complete loser at school and is now in a position of power showing the big boys who’s boss.

51 minutes ago, feedthefox said:

Straight on from Wheatfield, looked like Kane had just turned him and started to fall, Souttar did have a hand on his shoulder but it didnt look like a yellow compared to other fouls.

The Treasurer
2 hours ago, Zaba said:

Absolute guesswork. 

Think he got the nod from the fourth official

1 hour ago, kettering jam tart said:

Nick Walsh’s performance against Rangers was the most one sided biased performance I’ve ever seen from a referee, even last night in the space of 1 minute, he denied us a penalty, stopped the play when we had the advantage and then gave St Johnstone a foul when devlin won the ball.

Walsh is the worst referee currently imo which is saying something. A wee hun balloon 

In the fifty years I have watched it, you would be surprised how many times the 50-50s, right from the off, go to one team in a game that has an affect on the arse cheeks, whether one of the arse cheeks are playing in the game or not. If they don't have to keep it going, they will dial it back, if not, they will keep it up. If that doesn't work, they will move on to the bigger decisions until we end up with the Andy Davis crap and Barrie Mckay being ordered to stand somewhere where it's not the case of whether he will have stuff thrown at him, it's a case of What will be thrown at him. 

Last night was one of those times from the off, however, one team was way better than the other and in the end, there was no point in going over the top in a lost cause. 

They may well be inept and i will concede that they can sometimes be inept at cheating, (that drop ball against Celtic) but make no mistake, they are cheating.  

Edited by niblick1874

Ex member of the SaS

As a fan run club we should be asking questions as to the performance of the officials. Do the refs tell the linesmen not to flag etc. We should also be making it clear we have issues with certain refs and how they perform in our games.

We should be doing this while winning so as to avoid the sour grapes jibe.

As good start would be a committee to go around the other teams and getting their points and backing before making a meal of it. Getting loads of evidence ( Aberdeen last night for example ) and get a file to lay at their door.

10 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

As a fan run club we should be asking questions as to the performance of the officials. Do the refs tell the linesmen not to flag etc. We should also be making it clear we have issues with certain refs and how they perform in our games.

We should be doing this while winning so as to avoid the sour grapes jibe.

As good start would be a committee to go around the other teams and getting their points and backing before making a meal of it. Getting loads of evidence ( Aberdeen last night for example ) and get a file to lay at their door.

There is something going on to do with having a look at things at the moment that Hearts are involved in and the arse cheeks aren't, I think. Should our fans be told what is going on with this. I think it's a question worth asking

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, The Treasurer said:

He did we saw him looking over at him 

When you see this clown listed as the match official you know that we’ll get little or nothing from him. He clearly has some sort of an agenda.

I'm sure it was mentioned up the thread after the Rangers game. His workplace being the school Rangers send their academy kids to be educated. So he's works with Rangers hopefuls during the week as a PE teacher,  then refs their first team at the weekend. Let's face it there's every chance he's also a Rangers fan.

Could you imagine a top flight referee a proper League being as conflicted as that? Nobody even really raises concerns here. 

4 hours ago, SomethingAboutObua said:

Not the full answer but it has been said that refereeing here is all about who you know, whose bags you carry etc. Obviously more west coasters will know more west coasters, I take it sessions and training take place in Glasgow, Troon/Largs I'm sure I've seen mentioned? I'd be interested in seeing how many refereeing courses at all levels take place outside of the west coast.

I just want to hear some assurance that the clubs are fighting this behind the scenes tooth and nail. If a public statement ends up needing to be made then so be it. 

Part of sport is parity when it comes to the rules but it’s very apparent that 2 clubs as a result of which region of the country the refs are almost entirely promoted from don’t apply those rules consistently to two clubs. 

I can’t blame the individual refs, take John Beaton getting death threats from Celtic fans, now in your head are you going to risk more death threats in a Celtic v Ross County match or are you just going to give Celtic the benefit of the doubt? 

I reckon death threats would hold a lot less sway if a,) refs are full time so not getting pressure from all sides, even as jokes from colleagues at their other job, B.) if the ref is based in another part of the country eg Aberdeen as they don’t need to walk down the streets of an area that is wall to wall OF fans. More parity in recruitment would solve this. 

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

Is the 4th official allowed to get involved with decisions? Thought their remit was the dugout area

part_time_jambo
4 hours ago, Chillidigits said:

I thought Souttar was clever there. You always see players hurrying to boot the drop ball upfield before the opponent closes him down. If the defender isn't allowed to play the ball until the player who is receiving the drop ball has played it, it's a clever tactic to take your time. Is that the rule?

He’s the worst by a considerable distance. A hun 100% , I don’t think I’d bother travelling to watch a Hearts game v Rangers if I heard he was refereeing it. I honestly don’t. Corrupt and bias and the rest

Edited by 1971fozzy

Rudiscoresagain

These days with a drop ball the opponent can’t go closer than 4 yards to the ball until the player in possession touches it. 

Fort Vallance
2 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Is the 4th official allowed to get involved with decisions? Thought their remit was the dugout area

Only when it suits them.

Fort Vallance
5 hours ago, niblick1874 said:

In the fifty years I have watched it, you would be surprised how many times the 50-50s, right from the off, go to one team in a game that has an affect on the arse cheeks, whether one of the arse cheeks are playing in the game or not. If they don't have to keep it going, they will dial it back, if not, they will keep it up. If that doesn't work, they will move on to the bigger decisions until we end up with the Andy Davis crap and Barrie Mckay being ordered to stand somewhere where it's not the case of whether he will have stuff thrown at him, it's a case of What will be thrown at him. 

Last night was one of those times from the off, however, one team was way better than the other and in the end, there was no point in going over the top in a lost cause. 

They may well be inept and i will concede that they can sometimes be inept at cheating, (that drop ball against Celtic) but make no mistake, they are cheating.  

It's not just your generation. To quote Townshend / Daltrey. " Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

14 minutes ago, Fort Vallance said:

Only when it suits them.

A few years back Michael Stewart got sent off at paisley on the say so of the fourth official.  Last night in the second half , at three consecutive throw ins Walsh indicated to the thrower to go back a bit   they then proceeded to run three or four steps before throwing. Walsh let it go

10 hours ago, db211833 said:

I thought the 1st Gino one was a penalty.  So did McFadden and Foster on Sportscene.

Both commentators on the Hearts feed thought it wasn’t so touch and go.  Personally I thought he took the ball and Gino took to long to get his shot in.  Thankfully he got better second half. Anyway we won that’s all that matters

3 hours ago, part_time_jambo said:

I thought Souttar was clever there. You always see players hurrying to boot the drop ball upfield before the opponent closes him down. If the defender isn't allowed to play the ball until the player who is receiving the drop ball has played it, it's a clever tactic to take your time. Is that the rule?

That's the first time I've seen that happen. The way I see it, if the ref drops it to a player it's to give that player the advantage of first touch. If for reasons unknown he decides to let the ball go dead and do nothing the opposition should be allowed to contest it - otherwise how many times in theory could the receiving player make the ref repeat the drop and get away with it. It would surely be an offence.

The standard of refereeing is now so poor that Collum is one of the best there is in Scotland! Beaton, Robertson and Walsh are all terrible. Hard to know how much is incompetence and how much is bias. 

10 hours ago, Cobblers said:

Both commentators on the Hearts feed thought it wasn’t so touch and go.  Personally I thought he took the ball and Gino took to long to get his shot in.  Thankfully he got better second half. Anyway we won that’s all that matters

👍

19 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Every ref is shite. 

Look at the Aberdeen / rangers game. 

Denied Aberdeen a clear penalty. 

Gave them what is at best a 50/50 pk and gives Kent a second booking for nothing. 

The standard is poor. 

I do think there is definitely a unconscious or conscious bias still there but 95% of the issue is that the are just poor. 

Make poor decisions. 

Far too eager to book for daft things yet let serious things go unpunished. 

Poor at playing advantage. 

Poor communication with players and managers. 

Just shite. 

The assistant refs do **** all to assist either. There as useful as  chocolate teapots.

well said, hopeless shower.

ToadKiller Dog

He is just another sign of the serious failings and inbuilt bias within the SFA refs leadership .

He isn't the fault its those who prefer to promote because of where you are from rather than your actual ability .

I dont understand why east coast clubs don't make a bigger and public issue over the faults within the SFA refs dept .

It really does cause harm to clubs achievements and finance .

He was poor but the assistant refs in Scotland are even worse. They never give any free kicks or help the ref out. The Wheatfield Stand one on Tuesday missed the ball being a mile out for a throw in, then when it was played forward he wasn't up with play to see an offside. He also looked a good few pounds over weight. It's time that the referee's were full time and professional to up the standard. We also have a massive disproportionate number of refs being west coast based.  

Fort Vallance
12 hours ago, Sherbet said:

A few years back Michael Stewart got sent off at paisley on the say so of the fourth official.  Last night in the second half , at three consecutive throw ins Walsh indicated to the thrower to go back a bit   they then proceeded to run three or four steps before throwing. Walsh let it go

A did the fourth official when two of them were right in front of him.

13 hours ago, Sherbet said:

I remember that game well I was there and I can't remember his name but one of their midfielders was trying to bring Stewart down as he ran with the ball from his own half. The ref let play continue ignoring the fouling which he may have said was playing advantage. Stewart just pushed his arm out to try and fend this guy off and the ref was much closer to the play than the fourth officlal and the ref did nothing until the fourth official told him to red card Stewart.

Now I know he was a bit of a hot head at times but that particlaur incident was a total disgrace.

I think that was the first instance where a fourth official had a player sent off.

19 hours ago, jackal said:

Straight on from Wheatfield, looked like Kane had just turned him and started to fall, Souttar did have a hand on his shoulder but it didnt look like a yellow compared to other fouls.

Thought Kane 'won' the fouls against Souttar thanks to the ref's compliance . At best they were 50/50 tussles

1 hour ago, john thomas said:

Thought Kane 'won' the fouls against Souttar thanks to the ref's compliance . At best they were 50/50 tussles

It showed that Souttar is not as good in the air as Halkett.

14 hours ago, Fort Vallance said:

It's not just your generation. To quote Townshend / Daltrey. " Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

That's the way it has always been, up until now. I won't go into it other than to say that I despise the new boss as much as, if not more than, the old boss. Scottish football and the Scottish football press are many years behind everyone else because they didn't have to be 'fixed", they were already corrupt to the core so in many ways you are right in saying, same as the old boss. As I have said once or twice on here, the bloody knife through the Hearts badge was not the first clue.    

Edited by niblick1874

14 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

It showed that Souttar is not as good in the air as Halkett.

Perhaps not but the fouls I'm referring to were not aerial challenges

SectionDJambo
18 hours ago, Newton51 said:

The one at Ibrox when Kingsley was grabbed around the throat, right in front of him, didn't get involved. 

It certainly looked like the 4th official gave that as a foul on Tuesday, but maybe not. Maybe Walsh just guessed. He's a terrible referee. FIFA badge on as well.

Walsh was terrible and there was another incident where he gave a foul he wasn't looking at.

But one decision I will give him is the Smith yellow. The attacker did well, Smith got caught on his heels, and as the attacker went past him, Smith reached out and gave his arm a tug. It wasn't a bad foul but enough contact to warrant a foul, and given the position on the field and that the attacker had gone by him, a fairly straightforward yellow card.

• 4 weeks later...

How bad was this idiot today? A 'look at me' type who got decisions wrong throughout the game. I lost count of the number of times the Livvy defenders where allowed to use their hands on the Hearts forwards as a springboard or to put our strikers off with a sly push from behind. To our detriment, Pr ick Walsh let them off with it time without number. Can anyone explain how he managed to give so many wrong decisions when almost the entire crowd could see otherwise? No wonder he got booed! Maddening, Cardinal Collumn, Don 'Blind' Robertson, Kevin Chancey, Cheatin Beaton, ect. Where do the GFA gets these imbeciles from?