Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Why do you keep giving advice on how to achieve independence?

Well this thread is about should Scotland be an Independent country, so naturally the topic on how to achieve it is worthy of discussion.

You like to keep reminding people that the thread isn't about the SNP's woeful record, so I've taken that on board.

Was it it just a binary question with no comments or discussion you wanted?

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, pablo said:

Well this thread is about should Scotland be an Independent country, so naturally the topic on how to achieve it is worthy of discussion.

You like to keep reminding people that the thread isn't about the SNP's woeful record, so I've taken that on board.

Was it it just a binary question with no comments or discussion you wanted?

It's nothing to do with what I want, it's just something I've noticed across social media, time and time again - staunch unionists giving it "you don't wanna do it like that"

I don't get it, so I thought I'd ask while it was fresh in your mind.

Edited by Smithee

1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

You can’t see how the ruk would have to negotiate? 
Well if they want us to waltz off without repaying any of this monstrous debt they’ve ran up I guess I’m cool with that for starters. Considering Scotland powers millions of homes and businesses in England at all points every single day might be be something they’d fancy chatting over a coffee about. 
“Oh and why you’re here PM about these subs?”

These enormous issues for starters?

There’s just no need? 

I'm sure the UK would survive, but if Scotland were to leave I don't see why the UK would have to accept the break up of the territorial integrity of the country? In terms of negotiation. 

I'm talking about secession without the granting of a Section 30. Should have made that clear.

jack D and coke
17 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

We'll be ok as Queen of Brexit BS Julia HB has already told us that negotiations are easy... 

She's also given us the blue print for how to negotiate.... it's gonna be so easy. 

Holy **** :lol: 

What big weird hands she has for a woman too. 
Britains media is full of these gobby brain donors these days. 

jack D and coke
1 minute ago, pablo said:

I'm sure the UK would survive, but if Scotland were to leave I don't see why the UK would have to accept the break up of the territorial integrity of the country? In terms of negotiation. 

I'm talking about secession without the granting of a Section 30. Should have made that clear.

They wouldn’t have to accept it?

Good lord. 

Ainsley Harriott
11 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Agreed . Its all very Trumpism

Make Scotland Great Again 

Is he talking about the country of his birth or his residence? Self publisizing luvie can't stand the man.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Is he talking about the country of his birth or his residence? Self publisizing luvie can't stand the man.

Not sure :) .  Only decent thing he did was as Hannibal Lector in " Manhunter".. he should stick to acting really. Those entitled luvvies get on my tits. 

50 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

They wouldn’t have to accept it?

Good lord. 

Eh? Why would they have to? I'm not suggesting the UK would send the troops in FFS.

But, there would be nothing to stop the UK saying they would neither help nor hinder Scotland if they decided to leave after winning this "de facto referendum " after the next GE. It wouldn't be accepted by the international community and the country would fall to bits almost immediately. Not having to pay back 8% or something of the national debt would be little comfort.

jack D and coke
Just now, pablo said:

Eh? Why would they have to? I'm not suggesting the UK would send the troops in FFS.

But, there would be nothing to stop the UK saying they would neither help nor hinder Scotland if they decided to leave after winning this "de facto referendum " after the next GE. It wouldn't be accepted by the international community and the country would fall to bits almost immediately. Not having to pay back 8% or something of the national debt would be little comfort.

If Scotland votes heavily in favour im sorry something has to give. 
The rU.K. does not have the option of doing nothing. 
It’s ludicrous to suggest so. 
We aren’t Catalonia. 

JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, pablo said:

The de facto refer at the next GE is an absolute joke. Its pie in the sky stuff. Ironically there's a strong chance they wont get as many seats if they do pursue this mad strategy. Its desperate. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

We aren’t Catalonia. 

A GE election is to vote for MPs to sit in parliament . its not an Indy vote. 

jack D and coke
9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

A GE election is to vote for MPs to sit in parliament . its not an Indy vote. 

I’m well aware james. This was suggested a few years ago though by Wings if S30’s were denied. In what other way can we show it’s what we want and they’re denying legal routes? 
If it gets a big majority the British govt cannot ignore this. 
It’s absolutely ludicrous to suggest they can. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, jack D and coke said:

I’m well aware james. This was suggested a few years ago though by Wings if S30’s were denied. In what other way can we show it’s what we want and they’re denying legal routes? 

define a  " big majority" ? 

jack D and coke
4 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Pretty much anything over 50% is all it takes really. But if it was to be 55% for example that’s certainly big enough.
Or it was when 55 was for No. 

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Pretty much anything over 50% is all it takes really. But if it was to be 55% for example that’s certainly big enough.
Or it was when 55 was for No. 

Yes the 55 was in a legal referendum.  

jack D and coke
Just now, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yes the 55 was in a legal referendum.  

I know. My point is if they keep saying No to a S30 what other route is there to to show the support for it?

Im not arguing the ins and outs of it. 

manaliveits105
18 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

What’s Paul Mcartney got to do with the price of tea in China ?

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

image-23-10-21-06-56-6.gif

Pasquale for King
20 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

We’re going to ban him from singing Mull of Kintyre after independence unless he pays us all a fiver each. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, pablo said:

Did they not give up the territorial integrity of NI during Brexit or is that still being discussed? 

Edited by Pasquale for King

il Duce McTarkin
48 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

About 8" of the 10 available.

jack D and coke
16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

We’re going to ban him from singing Mull of Kintyre after independence unless he pays us all a fiver each. 

Nae Linda McCartney veggie pish either. 

JudyJudyJudy
48 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Oh god that song never off the radio when I was a nipper. Hated it then , hated it now . For some reason it always gets me upset . Not teary but just find it really depressing 

3 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

We aren’t Catalonia. 

And the International Community would absolutely love that! A separatist party declaring UDI for a region (in the context of a UK election) after getting 50%+1vote in a GE. Like it or not, NATO, UN, EU et al considers the UK a single entity. It would set a precedent none of them would welcome and we'd become an International pariah overnight. 

That's before we face Day 1 with no currency, no working state infrastructure, no trade deals...nothing.

You're on the right track with it being ludicrous.

jack D and coke
10 minutes ago, pablo said:

And the International Community would absolutely love that! A separatist party declaring UDI for a region (in the context of a UK election) after getting 50%+1vote in a GE. Like it or not, NATO, UN, EU et al considers the UK a single entity. It would set a precedent none of them would welcome and we'd become an International pariah overnight. 

That's before we face Day 1 with no currency, no working state infrastructure, no trade deals...nothing.

Who said anything about UDI?

It’s about entering a discussion after that. 
Saying no to any negotiations altogether isn’t a sustainable position. 
It’ll only add more digits to Yes. 

13 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Who said anything about UDI?

It’s about entering a discussion after that. 
Saying no to any negotiations altogether isn’t a sustainable position. 
It’ll only add more digits to Yes. 

You honestly believe the UK government will enter into discussion with the SNP after the next GE whatever the result? 

Konrad von Carstein
21 minutes ago, pablo said:

You:  :yadayada::arghh::deal:

Indie supporters reaction to your word slad:

:cornette:

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

**** me, just hold a vote and then we can end this pish and kill this thread. 

🤣🤣there’s days I wish I never posted anything but you can’t let someone get the last word eh. 

46 minutes ago, pablo said:

You honestly believe the UK government will enter into discussion with the SNP after the next GE whatever the result? 

I’ve no idea but in theory if the SC ruling says No they can bang that drum for a while. Then Truss comes in and ignores NS and they can bang that drum also and then who knows. If Truss is an utter disaster it all plays into their hands. 
Then just say the SNP trounce everyone and take every seat after saying right through the campaign what it’s for what do you think? 
Foolish to think they can ignore it man. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
53 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

🤣🤣there’s days I wish I never posted anything but you can’t let someone get the last word eh. 

I’ve no idea but in theory if the SC ruling says No they can bang that drum for a while. Then Truss comes in and ignores NS and they can bang that drum also and then who knows. If Truss is an utter disaster it all plays into their hands. 
Then just say the SNP trounce everyone and take every seat after saying right through the campaign what it’s for what do you think? 
Foolish to think they can ignore it man. 

If the SNP campaign purely on an independence ticket and get a clean sweep, it would be impossible for the UK government to ignore that. The Tory’s are ignorant enough to try but it would be completely out of order.

It’s a big risk campaigning purely on an independence ticket though. Society has a hell of a lot of problems and people might want to here a hell of a lot more policy than that.

Ainsley Harriott

Can wait to see the Nats foaming at the mouth when our new leader is sworn in by the Queen in Scotland tomorrow 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

3 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Can wait to see the Nats foaming at the mouth when our new leader is sworn in by the Queen in Scotland tomorrow 🇬🇧🇬🇧🇬🇧

They may be too busy laughing to get upset.

Betty's not well enough for this but even she will be chuckling at the state of the new incumbent !

” Get Bond, this is an imbecile ! “

1 hour ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I'm laughing just now. 🤣Another idiot at Westminster, when will it stop? 

Ainsley Harriott
4 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

I'm laughing just now. 🤣Another idiot at Westminster, when will it stop? 

Thankfully an idiot with far more influence over the future of Scotland than the idiots running the Scottish Government 

32 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Thankfully an idiot with far more influence over the future of Scotland than the idiots running the Scottish Government 

Please don't stop being you! Amusing if not deluded but then again you're a Britnat.

Ainsley Harriott
21 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

Please don't stop being you! Amusing if not deluded but then again you're a Britnat.

Yaasssss BritNat, Yoon next time perhaps? Or is it to be NawBag?

😂

This will rumble on no doubt !

Anyway, folks, I'm off. No more message boards for the Boabster.

Too much to see and do at this juncture of my existence !

To all I've debated with, even the trolls, take care eh !

Bye.

Boab.

37 minutes ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Yaasssss BritNat, Yoon next time perhaps? Or is it to be NawBag?

You believe in the nationhood of Britain whatever that is so Britnat. I believe in Scottish nationhood so I'm a Scotnat, Braveheart, Yesser etc, etc. Only a name bud, don't get too precious.

4 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

You believe in the nationhood of Britain whatever that is so Britnat. I believe in Scottish nationhood so I'm a Scotnat, Braveheart, Yesser etc, etc. Only a name bud, don't get too precious.

I like separatist, or splitter 

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I like separatist, or splitter 

They'll do too. Can't wait to hear what plans that moron Truss has for Scotland. More insults, I expect, that the Britnats and cringers will lap up!

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Roxy Hearts said:

One that is unaware of the constituent parts of Great Britain 😂