** Hearts - January Transfer Window 2022 ** Toby Sibbick signs 3.5 year deal

Sertse

5 minutes ago, PJB said:

Robbie just live on SSN didnt sound like anyone more coming in

He was very neutral, and didn't say much at all, usual manager stuff. No contact from the rangers, it would be a board decision if something came in today.

• Replies 12.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

jamboinglasgow
5 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Kinda know what you mean, but what I'd say about this setup at Hearts is we wouldn't just rush out and sign this guy cos he's having a purple patch.  There will have been analysis of his game both at County and his previous clubs (not sure his history myself..?), including gathering references.

Lots of thought about how he fits in to our actual setup etc and lots of comparison against other prospective targets.  Example from the rumour mill, how does he stack up against Ogashiwa and would he be instead?  How does he stack up against Woodburn/GMS etc too.

I'm maybe wrong here, but I don't think it'd be like the past (either recently when we were just amateur or days gone by when scouting was a bit less scientific(!)) where we'd have just went "this baoys scored few goals likes".

Whereas I get the feeling Hibs, maybe Aberdeen too, would still just send a scout to watch him a couple of times and chuck some cash at him.

I completely agree with this. Too often people look at players just because they scored quite a few goals and say we should sign them without understanding why they have been able to score so many goals. RCC has scored 10 leagues goals this season, but last season he scored 0 goals in 26 league games so clearly there has been a change. I suspect its to do with Malky Mackay playing a system the gets the most out of him, but to do that at Hearts may mean sacrificing other areas we are doing well in. 

I do think the best example of us signing a player because they score a lot but not understanding why was John Sutton. We signed him as a replacement for Kevin Kyle because he is big and scores a lot. But he was not a target man, and though he still got a few goals, he never was the striker we need.

Agree with you that I can see Hibs and Aberdeen signing him without thinking how to get him to fit the team.

9 minutes ago, Barack said:

Bit of a waste of time getting a crew there to tell them that. 

Might as well have sent an email to SKY.

it was more a build up for the derby. Was asked if any more business incoming and he basically said no need unless something comes up that improves us 

1 hour ago, ericb said:

This does not need to be done in window, can be done any time.

Thanks,didn't know that. Every days a school day on jkb.

The Old Tolbooth

RCC from County would be an upgrade on GMS for sure, we could offer them him and Henderson on loan along with a fee, win win :) 

1 hour ago, Gimme an H... said:

Show me one instance where Harings lack of pace has lost us a goal or nearly cost us a goal… off the top of my head an I can’t think of any. He knows he isn’t the fastest so doesn’t get himself in situations where that will be exposed.

Some players don’t need lightning pace.

Haring is class. Reads the game, wins the majority of second balls that come his way, strong in the air, very composed, can play a great out ball under pressure.

Devlin is also great at what he does. Once he learns to keep it simple he’ll look much more effective.

I couldn't tell you a specific instance off the top of my head. I do agree he's a good player. I do suspect quite strongly that he isn't what Neilson wants for that position and that is down to the fact he is slower than the other two. Can't really be down to anything else that I can think of. 

Since Devlin's debut, barring injuries and suspensions Devlin and Beni have been first choice pairing. If we lost Beni in the summer I think he'd look for a replacement and Haring still wouldn't be first choice. Just how I view it. I could obviously be misreading the situation.

9 hours ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

Motherwell identified him as the man who can win the ball and play a pass. He was doubled up upon. In many cases there was no out ball for him as he didn’t have support. He therefore held the ball too long. That changed after we scored. Also on numerous occasions he was held back or pushed by opponents. Generally, we weren’t smart and focused for most of the first half. 

I think he is possibly just a bit over eager at times. No doubting his endeavour and commitment for the team. I think on a number of instances he fell over without being pushed and then was claiming for a foul after the event as players often do.

I think at times his positioning leaves a lot to be desired especailly when he drops very deep and wants the ball and then passes sideways or backwards.

I seriously doubt that he did not get support for the out ball I just think he didn't see the pass a lot of the time.

Overall since the guy came to us I think he has been a great signing and is a great example of what hard work can do. He is not the most gifted player but he certainly gives his all and i think sometimes that is his own worst enemy. By hsi own high standards I think he has been off the pace a bit in the last few games but then that applies to every player and I am happy he is at Hearts.

I think if you listen to Robbie's summary of the game he probably nailed it but then there were several enforced changes to the team with one eye of tomorrow's game which will not have helped our cause.

2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Ah well, it's been a very good window. 

Souttar I guess the only outstanding bit of pissabootery that might come up.  Rangers doing their usual instead of just putting in a proper bid and giving us time to find a replacement.  Probably expecting us to go crawling and say, "awright, we'll take yer pennies" today.  That's not us any more though.

I actually hope they come back with a decent offer, 10 minutes before midnight... and we tell them to GTF. They ARE just pissing us (and JS) about.

I also don't believe all the pish in the press or what RN says (I'm quite happy with his 'mis-direction' with the media)... but I don't think the 'will he stay or will he go' will have any bearing on whether we get a new CB in. If we get one, we get one... it won't be dependent on Souttar leaving this window.

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I couldn't tell you a specific instance off the top of my head. I do agree he's a good player. I do suspect quite strongly that he isn't what Neilson wants for that position and that is down to the fact he is slower than the other two. Can't really be down to anything else that I can think of. 

Since Devlin's debut, barring injuries and suspensions Devlin and Beni have been first choice pairing. If we lost Beni in the summer I think he'd look for a replacement and Haring still wouldn't be first choice. Just how I view it. I could obviously be misreading the situation.

Haring was very close to giving away a penalty on Saturday due to his lack of pace. Haring for me is a similar dilema to Halliday in that they have both shown they are decent squad players to have. Halliday scoring in two of our few games.

I suppose Robbie will have to consider if there are better options out there that the club can sign before offering either of them new deals.

He may opt to give them one year extensions as he did with Smith but will they want to accept given they are both younger than Smith and might want more security with longer contracts?

Folk have got to stop with the line of "we could offer player x,y and z" when talking about deals. It's not Football Manager. Some swap deals do happen, but not very often and you can't just force players under contract, who have real lives to worry about, to move to clubs they might not fancy purely because we think we could get a player in. That's McEneff, GMS and Henderson all been repeatedly mentioned for a swap for RCC.

Since the posters I’ve been looking out for in this window have been noticeable by their absence the last few days, I’m going to say nothing is happening. (Incoming at least)

3 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Folk have got to stop with the line of "we could offer player x,y and z" when talking about deals. It's not Football Manager. Some swap deals do happen, but not very often and you can't just force players under contract, who have real lives to worry about, to move to clubs they might not fancy purely because we think we could get a player in. That's McEneff, GMS and Henderson all been repeatedly mentioned for a swap for RCC.

I know, I always find that quite amusing!  Like the player has no choice.

(It was me who said Hendo btw, but only cos I think it'd be a good move for him and he'd likely be up for it)

Gimme an H...
2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Haring was very close to giving away a penalty on Saturday due to his lack of pace. Haring for me is a similar dilema to Halliday in that they have both shown they are decent squad players to have. Halliday scoring in two of our few games.

I suppose Robbie will have to consider if there are better options out there that the club can sign before offering either of them new deals.

He may opt to give them one year extensions as he did with Smith but will they want to accept given they are both younger than Smith and might want more security with longer contracts?

Devlin almost cost us a goal by trying to be clever in our half - lost the ball and they nearly scored.

I like Devlin, Haring and Beni - they all bring something different.

I would actually like to see who would win in a foot race (not to prove my point - just out of interest) as I don't think Haring is that slow. He's big so he might look slow but I would bet there's not much difference in actual pace compared to Devlin - who looks quicker due to being half the size...

In an ideal world I'd have the 3 of them on new 3 year contracts and be rotating them depending on who's on form. Devlin/Beni were class together before Beni's injury - Haring has more than taken his oppertunity so doesn't deserve to be dropped yet. It's a nice problem to have if you can only play two of them.

3 minutes ago, Gimme an H... said:

Devlin almost cost us a goal by trying to be clever in our half - lost the ball and they nearly scored.

I like Devlin, Haring and Beni - they all bring something different.

I would actually like to see who would win in a foot race (not to prove my point - just out of interest) as I don't think Haring is that slow. He's big so he might look slow but I would bet there's not much difference in actual pace compared to Devlin - who looks quicker due to being half the size...

In an ideal world I'd have the 3 of them on new 3 year contracts and be rotating them depending on who's on form. Devlin/Beni were class together before Beni's injury - Haring has more than taken his oppertunity so doesn't deserve to be dropped yet. It's a nice problem to have if you can only play two of them.

Exactly.  It's like people's heads are exploding at the thought of us having 3 good CMs!!  Been a while tbf!

23 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Ah well, it's been a very good window. 

Souttar I guess the only outstanding bit of pissabootery that might come up.  Rangers doing their usual instead of just putting in a proper bid and giving us time to find a replacement.  Probably expecting us to go crawling and say, "awright, we'll take yer pennies" today.  That's not us any more though.

Would love them to table a pishy little last minute offer thinking that we'll bend over, only to tell them to ram it. 

Just now, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Folk having a pop at Devlin know that he has the highest tackle success rate in the league?

Baffling. He was a revelation similar to Beni first 5 games or so. A slight drop off and folk seemed to be writing him off. 

3 minutes ago, EH11 2NL said:

Would love them to table a pishy little last minute offer thinking that we'll bend over, only to tell them to ram it. 

Publicly!

3 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Folk having a pop at Devlin know that he has the highest tackle success rate in the league?

Cam is great.  Poeple can't seem to handle a guy having a couple of off games, dip in form or even a wee blind patch in their skillset.

Cam will do for me.  Hero of a boy!  He'll be great tomorrow night.

LarrysRightFoot
28 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I completely agree with this. Too often people look at players just because they scored quite a few goals and say we should sign them without understanding why they have been able to score so many goals. RCC has scored 10 leagues goals this season, but last season he scored 0 goals in 26 league games so clearly there has been a change. I suspect its to do with Malky Mackay playing a system the gets the most out of him, but to do that at Hearts may mean sacrificing other areas we are doing well in. 

I do think the best example of us signing a player because they score a lot but not understanding why was John Sutton. We signed him as a replacement for Kevin Kyle because he is big and scores a lot. But he was not a target man, and though he still got a few goals, he never was the striker we need.

Agree with you that I can see Hibs and Aberdeen signing him without thinking how to get him to fit the team.

In RCCs case it seems they are getting the best out of him because MacKay wants him to gamble/ get beyond the striker and into the box - something our inside forwards haven’t been doing enough of. 

Im not saying he is or isn’t the answer but he’s doing what we need McKay and GMS et al to do more of. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 minute ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Devlin, like Beni, is always looking to be involved. Constantly in the face of the opposition then trying to create from whatever position he picks the ball up after the hard work of winning it in the first place. As a result he will appear to make more mistakes than many other players would. Haring isn't much different in that respect, either. Always getting involved and looking to create, he, too, will make mistakes. All three, though, get a lot more right than they get wrong and each is well worth his place in the team. To have three such quality players vying for two positions is just great. If there's a better player out there than any of the three that we could get, it would be bloody amazing! 

2 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

In RCCs case it seems they are getting the best out of him because MacKay wants him to gamble/ get beyond the striker and into the box - something our inside forwards haven’t been doing enough of. 

Im not saying he is or isn’t the answer but he’s doing what we need McKay and GMS et al to do more of. 

Agreed and him feeding off Boyce's hold up and Simms' destruction could be very interesting.  The issue would be fitting them plus McKay all in to the team (plus Gino, Woodburn, GMS...).  What a bench though!

I think if we're looking at RCC it'll be for next season imo.  If Euro group stages looking as likely as they are, that squad will be important.  Simms and Woodburn only on loan too, so need replaced.

Jamboscanbevicius

Really wish we could stop bashing our own. Devlin has been outstanding. So has Beni. And I’ve always been a huge fan of Haring.

We’re lucky to have all three and competition for places. it’s the first time for many years we’ve been this strong in the middle of the park.

let’s get behind whoever has the jersey, and hopefully big Pete signs a new contract soon!

14 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

He's unreal. Absolutely everywhere. 

Just now, Jamboscanbevicius said:

Really wish we could stop bashing our own. Devlin has been outstanding. So has Beni. And I’ve always been a huge fan of Haring.

We’re lucky to have all three and competition for places. it’s the first time for many years we’ve been this strong in the middle of the park.

let’s get behind whoever has the jersey, and hopefully big Pete signs a new contract soon!

The same people will be back tracking when Cammy scores from two yards tomorrow night 🤪

3 minutes ago, AllyjamboDerbyshire said:

Devlin, like Beni, is always looking to be involved. Constantly in the face of the opposition then trying to create from whatever position he picks the ball up after the hard work of winning it in the first place. As a result he will appear to make more mistakes than many other players would. Haring isn't much different in that respect, either. Always getting involved and looking to create, he, too, will make mistakes. All three, though, get a lot more right than they get wrong and each is well worth his place in the team. To have three such quality players vying for two positions is just great. If there's a better player out there than any of the three that we could get, it would be bloody amazing! 

Kenny Black was a target for the Boo boy's back in the 80's as he always wanted the ball and never hid, so therefore naturally made more mistakes.

Absolute Scenes
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

I thought we all thought pre-contracts were a terrible, traitorous thing to do? 

only when its Rangers ;)

6 minutes ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

Also think that folk need to remember Devlin is only 23 and hasn't actually played a huge amount of football due to a fairly short season in Oz, he's only going to getter better as he gets more games under his belt, already showing double the rate of assists when compared to a similar number of games in the A League.

8 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

He's unreal. Absolutely everywhere. 

And smart too. Spends the whole game nipping away at people's ankles, but doesn't get sent off.

59 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Kinda know what you mean, but what I'd say about this setup at Hearts is we wouldn't just rush out and sign this guy cos he's having a purple patch.  There will have been analysis of his game both at County and his previous clubs (not sure his history myself..?), including gathering references.

Lots of thought about how he fits in to our actual setup etc and lots of comparison against other prospective targets.  Example from the rumour mill, how does he stack up against Ogashiwa and would he be instead?  How does he stack up against Woodburn/GMS etc too.

I'm maybe wrong here, but I don't think it'd be like the past (either recently when we were just amateur or days gone by when scouting was a bit less scientific(!)) where we'd have just went "this baoys scored few goals likes".

Whereas I get the feeling Hibs, maybe Aberdeen too, would still just send a scout to watch him a couple of times and chuck some cash at him.

I don't think we disagree here. If we do sign him I'm sure we'll have done our homework, I'm just not sure we're actually in for him.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

I'm quite happy to let those who have us 10 points clear in 3rd make the decisions. 

They seem quite good at it

21 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Yip, by some distance too. He may not be Pirlo but you can't underestimate the impact his energy has had on the team. 

Tackles Won
1. Cameron Devlin  Hearts 44
2. Beni Baningime  Hearts 33
3. Marcus Fraser  St Mirren 32
4. Alan Power  St Mirren 31
5. Stephane Omeonga  Livingston 29
6. Jeando Fuchs  Dundee United 28
  Paul McGinn  Hibernian 28
8. Scott McMann  Dundee United 27
9. Cammy Kerr  Dundee 26
  James Tavernier  Rangers 26

Fxxx the SPFL
9 minutes ago, flecktimus said:

Kenny Black was a target for the Boo boy's back in the 80's as he always wanted the ball and never hid, so therefore naturally made more mistakes.

unlike a certain Mikey Stewart who gave the ball away and tried to blame the younger players

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I'm quite happy to let those who have us 10 points clear in 3rd make the decisions. 

They seem quite good at it

This.

29 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

About time he did something offensively though... struggling to think of the last time he had two assists in a 2-0 win over our nearest rivals in the league?

14 minutes ago, lou said:

The same people will be back tracking when Cammy scores from two yards tomorrow night 🤪

OH MY GOD!  I hadn't even considered if Cam scores his first tomorrow night.  It'd be bedlam!!  Please let that happen!!!

2-0, McKay and Devlin!

13 minutes ago, flecktimus said:

Pretty much the original Andy Halliday!!

11 minutes ago, Rory Mcilroy said:

Yip, by some distance too. He may not be Pirlo but you can't underestimate the impact his energy has had on the team. 

Tackles Won
9. Cammy Kerr  Dundee 26

Interesting, no Haring on there.   Is there a list for most interceptions? 

I wouldn't mind signing Power or Omeonga for backup to the top two.   

Edited by HMFC01

4 minutes ago, Rory Mcilroy said:

Tackles Won
9. Cammy Kerr  Dundee 26

These two lads at the top of that list might make a decent partnership...

2 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Agreed and him feeding off Boyce's hold up and Simms' destruction could be very interesting.  The issue would be fitting them plus McKay all in to the team (plus Gino, Woodburn, GMS...).  What a bench though!

I think if we're looking at RCC it'll be for next season imo.  If Euro group stages looking as likely as they are, that squad will be important.  Simms and Woodburn only on loan too, so need replaced.

What a problem to have though! "We've got too many good players....!" :D

If we do sign RCC I reckon it'll be on a PCA and that he'd join up with us next season. GMS would be the one playing less as a result I think. McKay and RCC would become our main wide players with GMS and Gino as backup, you would think. Fitting both Simms and Boyce into the team then becomes the problem, if Simms comes back next year. 

4 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Pretty much the original Andy Halliday!!

Ernie Winchester and George Fleming were the first boo boy targets I can remember. 

No doubt there were plenty before them.

Everybody Loves Baz!
5 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

These two lads at the top of that list might make a decent partnership...

If only we had them on our team :seething:

6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

OH MY GOD!  I hadn't even considered if Cam scores his first tomorrow night.  It'd be bedlam!!  Please let that happen!!!

2-0, McKay and Devlin!

Oh I have, to the extent I was glad he laid off to Halliday on Saturday rather than having a shot, it's written in the stars

We’ve had a god awful midfield for years, we were demoted with 3 league wins, pondered our way out the Championship while being humiliated in the Scottish Cup. We are now having the best season in years and Hearts fans are on to the Signings forum to have a go at a midfielder we got for pennies from Oz because he didn’t have a blinder against a Celtic midfield which cost more than our new stand?

This place is mental.

If you aren’t appreciating having Devlin, Beni, Haring and McKay in that midfield you are in for a hell of a shock when they move and I’d certainly avoid YouTube videos of recent Hearts midfields.

41 minutes ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Also has the highest cuddle rate. He’s like a mad mental koala jumping on everything that moves, even the ref’s

AlphonseCapone

At least we're sitting here on the last day of the window knowing that if we don't do any business, we're in a significantly better place than we were pre-window. No frantic panic required. All pretty chilled this window (except on JKB, but it's JKB so that's to be expected). 

16 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

And smart too. Spends the whole game nipping away at people's ankles, but doesn't get sent off.

If he didn't get hooked against Celtic, he was heading for a red card IMO. 

My biggest criticism of Devlin is, when he drops to receive the ball from the back, he often just plays it backwards / sideways, even when he's got 20 yards of space ahead of him if he turned. Makes the "pass completion rate" look good but does nothing for driving the team forward. 

He was a lot better at this vs Motherwell and we got the 2 goals off him driving forward. 

More of this please! 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 minutes ago, sac said:

Also has the highest cuddle rate. He’s like a mad mental koala jumping on everything that moves, even the ref’s

Good observation that, touchy feely eh

8 minutes ago, iainmac said:

If he didn't get hooked against Celtic, he was heading for a red card IMO. 

My biggest criticism of Devlin is, when he drops to receive the ball from the back, he often just plays it backwards / sideways, even when he's got 20 yards of space ahead of him if he turned. Makes the "pass completion rate" look good but does nothing for driving the team forward. 

He was a lot better at this vs Motherwell and we got the 2 goals off him driving forward. 

More of this please! 

Fair point, Had forgotten about that! Different rules apply against the OF, I guess...